Persona (Shin Megami Tensei) Plot Brainstorming

Started by Miyr, June 05, 2010, 06:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miyr

I am interested in doing a role play where the plot is based off of Shin Megami Tensei’s Persona games, specifically Persona 3 and 4.

A group of high school students, preferably seniors or juniors (however am willing for the characters to be 16-18) are mysteriously drawn together. Whether it’s through homeroom, clubs, classes, or a series of events, this group of students will be brought together and eventually form a team.

In Persona 4 envokers are not used, but in Persona 3 they are. I would like to create some sort of system as to how a persona is summoned, perhaps through jewelry or some other item that each member has. Also, because it’s a common thing in the games, the characters could all live together in a school dorm or neighboring buildings.

Persona creation will also be allowed; however I am not going to require that everything be mapped out (weaknesses, nullifications, strengths) because action may be avoided in the RP for awhile depending on interest and how it flows. Also, I am open to a typist having more than one persona user that they play. I am relatively relaxed when it comes to character creation and design, however I do ask that your character be like a real person and that you don’t give them a god complex (unless it’s plot significant).

If anyone is interested in this idea please reply to this thread, my approval is still pending. Also, if you have plot ideas and suggestions please post them here for discussion. Depending on interest, I will post a character sheet if we get to the point where we are starting to map out who will play who.

~ Miyr
Been gone for almost two years. I apologize for my absence.

-Miyr

Kineas

Persona summoning rules suggestion!

It depends on how your character overcomes their fears.

In persona 3, they seemed to try and give the world the feel of a nightmare during the mystery hour, where the familiar is made unfamiliar and demons come out to play. They used 'evokers' which looked well enough like guns put to their own heads and pulled the triggers themselves. I find that to be an easy enough thing to point at and say 'Persona is summoned by overcoming your greatest fear(s).' Persona 4 supports this even more directly.

I like the idea that once you have met your inner demons eye to eye you gain the ability to summon a persona because of it's intrinsic ties to a person. It also opens up a dynamic to the effect that if you were to succumb to fear once again you might possibly lose your abilities. In this way Persona is the incarnation of your unified will. I suppose I am sort of thinking most people (and players) would not start off with the ability to summon their persona(s).

Thoughts? I realize this sort of doesn't address the 'main characters' who could have like eleventy bazillion personas that they could summon, but those people were treated like crazy exceptions anyways.

I've already got a character in mind for this, so here's hoping more people are on board for this. :)  Although i suspect most don't check these boards very frequently. >.>

Miyr

Well pending my approval, I may submit this idea and the Final Fantasy one on the other boards to see if we can get more interest in it. There's only so much I can do though now and I realize that this board may not be checked as often as the others. So this is sort of an initial interest check.

I believe that our characters should overcome their fears then they get their persona. I don't know if we should have the character kidnapped then have to face their shadow in order to obtain the persona, that might be a bit much for the characters initially. I think that our persona users should only have one persona, that might eventually evolve into another to be fair. If we each could summon whatever we wanted, then what's the point of teamwork? Lol. If they each have one, they'll have to bond and learn how to combine their strengths/weakness in order to defeat their enemy (whoever this ends up being).

I like the idea of the Midnight Hour, and how they were thrown into a situation where they were forced to overcome the fact that their sense of reality is overturned. Perhaps we could build off of this idea. Have the main characters all awaken during the night and find their world transformed, and encounter each other and that's how the initial bonding occurs. But perhaps we should change the time of which this occurs at? Or perhaps have it to where the characters can go within it willingly like in P4?

I have a vague outline of a character I will play myself Kineas, and I wouldn't mind if people had more than one character as long as everyone got to establish their first character first.

-Miyr

Kineas

I think we're more or less on the same page then. :) I agree that it would be a bit much to have characters getting kidnapped upon their introduction to the RP, and honestly I'd prefer if each character's 'awakening' had a bit more of a personal touch than rehashing what happened in persona 4. I don't see why we need a ritualized method~ just whenever the player decides that something sufficiently addresses their fear.

I fully intend to be very stubborn about that myself. x3 It's no fun when power comes easily.

Perhaps we could take the idea of the midnight hour and make it worse/longer, but less frequent, like once a week or month at first? It would make it a lot more reasonable to have more roleplaying and less combat while we're still getting to know each other IC. :)

Miyr

I think that the Midnight Hour idea should be longer and less frequent, and I totally think that it should be more horrifying. I think that they should initially get thrown in and meet each other, and that it is sporadic, that they don't know when it will occur, thus they knew that they needed to bond in order to survive the next encounter.

As for the awakening, I think that when we decide our character has a good point to have it occur, that they just write it out (as long as the other typists are okay with it). We do need ot focus on character development for awhile so we can get to know each other's characters, and perhaps we will have an OOC thread going at the same time to talk about plot ideas or just things in general.

-Miyr

Kineas

Yeah, we'll probably need an OOC thread for this one. :3

Seems like we agree on everything so far :D   I also was thinking that the 'midnight howeverlong' should become more frequent as the story goes on just to make sure the pressure stays on. ;)

The natural progression of that thought is "What is the big evil and what's it's agenda" but that seems more like a PM kind of subject than an open discussion, so here's hoping for your speedy approval! ^^

Miyr

Well an OOC thread wouldn't hurt, that and it would give us a chance to talk about issues/road blocks that arise, or figure out to add a twist to the plot because I love doing that! =D

And yep I think that we are agreeing on everything so far, I think that this might be a 1 x 1 role play though because no one else has expressed interest in the idea, at least in this thread.

The Midnight Hour whatever thing we use should become more frequent later on, and by then our characters will be established so that they are able to handle the added pressure.

Yes talking about the "big evil" would be best for a private discussion. And thanks for the warm wishes Kineas! I'm waiting patiently and keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be approved!

-Miyr

Kineas

Ah well, you never know. We may yet get some interest from others somewhere down the way. :)

If we have to start off with 1 x 1, I have no problems with that.

Miyr

Indeed there might be more people interested down the road~ And depending on what else we brainstorm up, I might just start a 1x1 with you and see how it goes~

-Miyr

Kineas

Well, I've little else to write today it seems, so let me write about the scene for this that's been in my head.

"It's the fourth day of the new school year. I'm in homeroom now, doodling in my journal instead of paying attention... the usual. I havn't really determined yet if there's anyone else here I might get along with, but so far I don't really have my hopes too high. I didn't have friends before I transferred to this school, I don't see why a new set of faces has better odds. At least this school has kendo AND a literature club. Are those two things really such anathema to each other that you can only have one school with both activities within 500 miles of any given point? Then again, I seem to be the only one that really wants -both- so I guess they just expected nerds and athletes to slowly segregate. Homeroom sure is quiet today...

He looked up from his papers. Everyone was moving in super-slow motion. He looked down at himself and waved his hand back and forth as fast as he could. Yep, still normal. Looking back up they weren't even moving in slow motion anymore... they had completely stopped. He slowly stood up from his seat, and walked around the room, pinching himself on the way. Well, it doesn't seem like I'm dreaming.

A faint sound, like of a large crash far away made it's way to him. He walked over to the window and looked outside. A giant red... thing, he had no way to really describe it, was poking up out of the shopping district. He was guessing it was the shopping district anyways since it was quite a distance. The air outside was starting to take on a reddish tint.

Well... I don't even know what to think about that. I definitely pinched myself already.
He sighed. Guess I better go see if anyone else is still mobile, maybe someone who knows better than me can provide some insight.

He walked out of his homeroom class and started down the hall. He walked rather casually considering the circumstances, but he did walk with a purpose, briefly checking into each room before moving on. When he passed the kendo club's practice room, he ducked in and picked up a boken. Even if it's useless, it makes me feel a bit better. It seemed almost everyone was frozen in the same way his class was. Still, he decided he'd better check every room. After all, if one person could be alive and limber, there was a chance there were more, no matter how few."

This had been kicking around in my head for a while, good to get it out~  :)  hope you enjoy it.

Miyr

I did really like it Kineas! I think that's a good intro for story creation~ Gotta get the brain juice flowing x.x I will probably (when I have more time) go into the request thread area and post a thing up for Persona RP so that way we can get more of a crowd. That way we can really go into the freaky psychological scary stuff etc. I apologize if it takes me awhile tho. Got a lot going on right now. . . ><

-Miyr

Kineas

Hey, it's good to see you're back, even if in a limited capacity. If you have any idea what the timeline's gonna be like, I'd appreciate the information, but if not I guess I'll just be patient. x3

Yeah i found what i was looking for in the other thread. xD

Miyr

Other thread? ~.~ Like there's a persona thread out there? I'm having a blonde moment *dies a bit inside* I haven't been around on the site much yet. Just been focusing on what I replied too and such.

And thanks for being understanding~ <3

-Miyr

Kineas

I meant I found what was going on with your life/the universe/ and everything in our FF OOC thread. x3

That's all. Oh, if you like I could expand upon the blurb i wrote earlier and make it into a proper introduction thread (like it's not already more than i ever write in a post...) and have something really interesting to show for when we move this show over into the more popular boards~

Miyr

If you would like to expand on the blurb go on ahead Kineas, as long as you are having fun with it :3 It would be good to have some stuff made up for when we do shift over and such~

And I get what you mean now lol. Sorry I'm all kinds of dead when it comes to my mind and such. I don't know how school's going to go starting Monday either ><

-Miyr

Kineas

It's okay, under the circumstances I don't mind explaining myself a couple times ;3

I just hope that you also can find time to take care of yourself as well. A sick person does little caring for others, ya know? Stay well ~ <3

Miyr

The guest bed is super squishy and nice, so don't worry I tend to get good sleep when I finally pass out. And it seems that today is just going to be spent here at the house cuz my Father said it's not a good idea to visit today cuz his sister is having a really hard time etc (it's his mother). I'll take care of myself don't worry. I'm just more worried about my Father. He's really changed a lot since all this started. He's not very emotional or affectionate, but he's getting a lot closer to my Mother so that's good. And it's good that you're able to deal with my lack of brain tee hee. Otherwise we'd be in a pickle~ <3 for the Kineas! :3

-Miyr

Miyr

Okay so I posted my little blurbage (longer I know but to make up for my absence) and established Kari as one of the three "supervisors" of the dorm. This will allow me to give the "Grand talk" or whatever about the dormitory if I so choose. Also I used it as a way to jump back in. So if anyone wants to address Kari they can, or continue with their conversations. I'm doing my best to stay caught up. And I should start researching dorms now.

-Miyr

Kineas

Is this the thread you intended to post that in? x3 no one will see it but me here~

Or perhaps I should be picking up a bit of the work too? :3

Miyr

Kineas, you has my IM, harass away you goober lol.

Okay, I decided that the rooms will be SINGLE. . . And here's what they will look like so you all know. ((figured I'd be nice and not make them like MY college dorms were ~.~))

As for details of the rest of it, I am working on it +.+

-Miyr

Kineas

Better than what I was expecting, my dorms were 2 to a room, 4 to an apartment. D:

but I likey! for actual layout, you could opt to just steal from persona 3, since that is theoretically a dorm (albeit a /very/ nice one.)

Miyr

This is the outside of our dorm, consequently my Univ's actual music building lol. So as you can see in the picture, there are two floors and they will be BIG. The bathrooms will be shared, one on each end of the floor. The lobby is the big round glass part.

-Miyr

Kineas

oh my <insert explitive here. This is the PG13 section, right? can you curse in those ratings?>

I wish i lived there. o.o'

Miyr

Oh crap. . . I don't know about the language. . . . . UM. . . . Crap. . . . >.< we may be moving our OOC thread to a different area, but the actual RP itself is IN the adult area.

-Miyr

DudelRok

Quote from: Miyr on June 21, 2010, 11:11:49 PM
Oh crap. . . I don't know about the language. . . . . UM. . . . Crap. . . . >.< we may be moving our OOC thread to a different area, but the actual RP itself is IN the adult area.

Well, snap, there goes me.

Persona 3 is rated M which does label them as 17+ due to ideology and swearing.

Safe side, though, I'd suggest the adult area.. sadly. OH well. XD

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread