Burning Bibles (And not from who you'd think)

Started by All Powerful Nateboi, October 18, 2009, 04:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All Powerful Nateboi

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6346662/North-Carolina-church-plans-Halloween-Bible-burning.html

QuoteNorth Carolina church plans Halloween Bible burning
Marc Grizzard, the pastor of Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, North Carolina, says that he and his congregation plan to burn Bibles on Halloween.

By Tom Chivers
Published: 12:39PM BST 16 Oct 2009

Marc Grizzard, of Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, North Carolina, says that the first King James translation of the Bible is the only true declaration of God’s word, and that all others are “satanic”.

Pastor Grizzard and 14 other members of the church plan to burn copies of the other “perversions” of Scripture on Halloween, 31 October.

The New Revised Version Bible, the American Standard Version Bible, and even the New King James Version are all pronounced to be works of the Devil by Pastor Grizzard and his followers.

Pastor Grizzard said: “I believe the King James version is God’s preserved, inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God… for English-speaking people.

“We are burning books that we believe to be Satanic.”

As well as inappropriate translations from the original Hebrew and Aramaic, the pastor and his associates will be burning books by various Christian authors, as well as music of every genre.

“[We will be burning] books by a lot of different authors who we consider heretics, such as Billy Graham, Rick Warren… the list goes on and on,” Pastor Grizzard told reporters.

Mother Teresa is also on the list of Satanic authors. The full list is available at the Amazing Grace Baptist Church's website.

Not all Canton residents are thrilled with the bonfire of the profanities. Judy Kirby, a local, said: “I think some of the newer versions make it easier for people to understand.”

The book-burning is hoped to be a social event, with a barbecue laid on for attendees. It is not clear whether the meat will be grilled over the heat of burning Gospels.

So, in half an hour I'll be giving my overall opinion of this on my radio show ( http://www.dementiaradio.org !), but here I'll say that this is just spectacularly, amazingly dumbass. This is a seriously impressive amount of refusing to accept that you even remotely might be wrong

Inkidu

Honestly that's excessive. Unless you've got the Aramaic scripts your pretty much reading a translated version. I tend to like the KJV best and think it's the better of the translations that still manages to not read like a fourth-grader wrote it for a book report. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I'm particularly amused that it's the KJV that he's holding up as 'The' proper translation.  I cannot count how many Christians/Catholics I know who think that particular translation is almost heretical.

(Don't ask me why - but that particular version seemed to get their knickers all in a twist.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Oni on October 18, 2009, 04:33:41 PM
I'm particularly amused that it's the KJV that he's holding up as 'The' proper translation.  I cannot count how many Christians/Catholics I know who think that particular translation is almost heretical.

(Don't ask me why - but that particular version seemed to get their knickers all in a twist.)
Because King James was a Protestant.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Serephino

*shrugs*  I have a copy of the Life Application Bible that a Catholic bought for me because she thought I was confused.  It's got footnotes to help you understand it better.  Of course the text is written like a third grade book report so I don't know why the footnotes are needed, but whatever.  Anybody want it?

Callie Del Noire

Stuff like this makes me ashamed of my home state.. yeah.. I'm a Tarheel.

All Powerful Nateboi

I just think it's pertty fucking telling of these kinds of people. The CBP, the burning non "proper" bibles...it points to people who don't want to admit that they might possibly be wrong for hatred and bigotry.

But, I go into more details on my show. In three minutes :P

/shameless plug

Oniya

I wouldn't hold anything like this against the state it comes out of, and NC has enough other things going for it to overlook this nutter.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

All Powerful Nateboi

Quote from: Oni on October 18, 2009, 04:58:18 PM
I wouldn't hold anything like this against the state it comes out of, and NC has enough other things going for it to overlook this nutter.

Oh, sure. It has nothing to do against NC. Or hell, even against Christianity itself. These are some nutfuckers.

But they are symptomatic of a greater problem

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: All Powerful Nateboi on October 18, 2009, 05:09:46 PM
Oh, sure. It has nothing to do against NC. Or hell, even against Christianity itself. These are some nutfuckers.

But they are symptomatic of a greater problem

Yeah, but NC has some big issues.

Ryven

All Powerful Nateboi

This is what I ended up saying on my show. Yay for webcams!

Be You Damned

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Scaryven on October 18, 2009, 05:28:55 PM
*bangs head against desk*

Honestly?  Why my state?

Well let's see.. NC has a democratic legislature and govenor who seem intent on doing what is best for them and not the state (aided and abbetted by the few republicans who have some standing) and both sides seem to think that any funds that aren't currently being used are open for their use.

Tea Pot Musuem anyone?

Trieste

Quote from: All Powerful Nateboi on October 18, 2009, 04:28:21 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6346662/North-Carolina-church-plans-Halloween-Bible-burning.html

So, in half an hour I'll be giving my overall opinion of this on my radio show ( http://www.dementiaradio.org !), but here I'll say that this is just spectacularly, amazingly dumbass. This is a seriously impressive amount of refusing to accept that you even remotely might be wrong

A church is burning bibles on Halloween. That so doesn't sound like a publicity stunt... oh no, not one lick.

Do they think everyone else is an idiot?

Oniya

Quote from: Mahakali, Slayer of Raktabija on October 18, 2009, 08:06:47 PM
Do they think everyone else is an idiot?

I think if you flip that around, you'll have it about right.  These guys made the news up here in OH, and the news anchors were giving the story the hairy eyeball.

RubySlippers

Hiding my ,clearly according to them, SATANIC New Living Translation Bible

I mean this is not funny one can questiojn Bibles but burning them becasue you don't approve of them is so wrong on many levels. Not just that but books by Christian authors and music by Christian performers. I hate to use this term but it hints of Nazi tactics.

I happen to own religious texts from several religions and I respect them all as holy texts to be honored, I favor the Bible naturally in my case but see a beauty in others.

Oniya

We actually have a fair collection ourselves.  The Torah, a copy of the Bible, selections from the Koran, a copy of the Book of Mormon (not sure when that one joined the library.)  And yes, any time that I hear about burning any kind of media, this scene plays in my head:

QuoteColonel Vogel: What does the diary tell you that it doesn't tell us?
[he tries to slap him again; Henry grabs his wrist, stopping him]
Professor Henry Jones: [through his teeth] It tells me, that goose-stepping morons like yourself should try reading books instead of burning them!

Nimmy

*calls her mother to hide all the Bibles in the house...*

I kid. Although we do have about 15 Bibles in the house, from my mom and my dad's college days and taking courses like The Bible as Literature

I agree with RubySlippers, though. Question Bibles all you like - I do. I'm agnostic, personally, so I don't believe in the Christian/Jewish/Islamic God, but regardless, there are a lot of good lessons in the Bibles! Plus, people revere it as a religious text, even if I don't. You treat religious texts with respect, no matter if they are "satanic" or not.

Good quote from Indiana Jones, Oni. It does illustrate the point rather well.

Kotah

You know, as far as a book goes... The bible isn't that bad. I mean, some o it is a little out there, but have you read the old testament? It's freaking awesome. It doesn't do much or the whole "faith" thing, but seriously.

Throwing kids in a furnace?
Exodus?

It's not so bad. It's kinnda like reading Harry Potter.

It's a stunt, a really really stupid one.

I it isn't a stunt? then they are... really really stupid. Tactics like this don't prove your point. It brings a back swing that tends to go the other way. Why things like burning crosses are a big no, besides the ass hole part. I you see a house with a burning cross, your first thought is more common, "OMG that poor family!" not what the KKK had in mind.
Finally in a rage we scream at the top of our lungs into this lonely night, begging and pleading they stop sucking up dry.There as guilty as sin, still as they always do when faced with an angry mob: they wipe the blood from their mouths and calm us down with their words of milk and honey. So the play begins, we the once angry mob are now pacified and sit quietly entertained. But the curtain exists far from now becasue their lies have been spoken. My dear, have you forgotten what comes next? This is the part where we change the world.

Chea

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on October 18, 2009, 04:52:51 PM
Stuff like this makes me ashamed of my home state.. yeah.. I'm a Tarheel.

Ah man me too, NC is my home state as well! I hate that I was born in a biblebelt state, this is madness! :-(

Merlyn

Things like this are why I say that organized religion is a bad thing.

Then people argue with me.

Then something like this happens again.

Rinse and repeat.  Then I eventually get hit by someone for bringing up my own thoughts against religion.
Check here if you care why I haven't been around.
Why must all of humanity be consumed by such insanity?

"I know not with what weapons world war three will be fought with, but world war four will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.

Ons and Offs

Juicy

I currently live in NC. Not born here, but... ehh..

I'll just leave it at that.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Bareback on October 20, 2009, 09:48:28 AM
I currently live in NC. Not born here, but... ehh..

I'll just leave it at that.

It's not a BAD place, just stay on the main roads. :D

God I would LOVE to have some stuff from home. Cheerwine, crispy Neeses, and carolina style bbq.

Demona

I'm not sure this guys has really thought this through.  I mean, burning bibles because they are satanic?  What was it Belthazar said to Constantine when he used fire against him?  "Fire?  I was born of this!"

</sarcasm>

All bibles are written by people, jeez.
I'm not saying you are a figment of my imagination, I'm saying you are a figment of your imagination.

Elliquiy O | O

All Powerful Nateboi

You know, though, I kinda like the ponit You Are Dumb brought up.

Burning books is almost *quaint*. "Come, look at the throwback to when knowledge had a physical form!". But they burn a book, I can have twenty more shipped to me within two days. Or just download it from the air into my little magic pocket box.