Kings and Queens of Europe 1900 (interest check/discussion)

Started by Wargtass, December 08, 2016, 09:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargtass

Royal Houses of Europe are pretty interesting, as are the European politics that went on in the later half of the 19th century that could very well put the intrigues of The Game of Thrones to shame. At the turn of the century there were only two true republics (France and Switzerland), the rest of Europe  being divided up between various royal bloodlines. In truth, few of these were countries that had absolute monarchies, wherein the royal family truly ruled the country. But what if they did?

The idea is rather simple but somewhat a little complex. Players will take the role of rulers of great European powers in the year 1900 and design them and (to some extent) their countries according to their own whims. This isn't meant to be a historical recreation, but rather a historical exercise with a sexy twist. Basically just diplomacy and court life between royalty punctuated with historically inspired events where rulers get to decide their policies (example; the Grand Duke of Luxembourg dies without a legitimate heir, sparking tensions between France and Germany). These would serve to divide and form alliances and create some tensions and bonds between the rulers.

It sounds a little daunting and I kind of feel it can be, I haven't even really made up my mind on how to make it work. But in the end I think it could as simple or as complex as we want it. It also has potential for a lot of different countries, as I have listed below.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Great Powers
Austro-Hungarian Empire
French Republic
German Empire
Kingdom of Italy
Kingdom of Spain
Kingdom of Sweden-Norway
Ottoman Empire
Russian Empire
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Minor Powers
Kingdom of Romania
Kingdom of the Netherlands
Kingdom of Belgium
Kingdom of Denmark
Kingdom of Portugal

Minor Sovereign States
Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
Kingdom of Greece
Kingdom of Serbia
Most Serene Republic of San Marino
Principality of Bulgaria
Principality of Montenegro
Swiss Confederation
Vilayet of Bosnia (technically a puppet of the Ottoman Empire)

Right now I'm just looking for interest, ideas and input. Feel welcome to just spin it with me.
O/O

SlipperySue

An interest period in history.  How do you see it working?

Wargtass

My first idea was something along the lines of key scenes involving diplomatic events, but that would kind of restrictive. I don't think it could be all done in one thread, but would have to be split up into private threads depending on where the different alliances fell. Written letters between rulers are another venue. I imagine there would be a main thread with major events and the policies of the different countries as well.

Truth be told, this is as much a brain storm as it is an interest check. Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.
O/O