A question about PayPal

Started by Ember Star, October 15, 2014, 05:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ember Star

Asking this here because my Facebook people have ignored the question for three days running...

So I finally got a proper PayPal account set up. However, I don't have it linked to a bank or credit account. So, I ask the people who might know more than me, can I/other people add money to it without linking to either? I ask because I was thinking of starting to do a few short story commissions (and art commissions if I can get my drawing back up to speed). But in order to do that, people will need to be able to add to my PayPal. I know I ran into problems adding money from a GreenDot before. But that was because I didn't have my SS#, at the time. I'd get another GreenDot to test, but my main Walmart doesn't have them anymore and I haven't been in K-mart lately.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Vekseid

Adding a credit card or bank account is only required if you withdraw money.

Ember Star

Quote from: Vekseid on October 15, 2014, 06:10:26 PM
Adding a credit card or bank account is only required if you withdraw money.
Does that mean withdrawing specific sums of cash? Or could you use the money added there to make online payments?

This line of confusion and trying to skirt around comes from me not having a bank account at the moment, nor the ability to open one. My name is on one of my mom's credit cards, but I don't want to link that. It's an emergency only sort of thing.

It's this flat broke'ness that is leading me to seek a way to make a little money via commissions, if I can.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Rhedyn

I believe that you only need a bank account in order to withdraw money into actual cash which is easiest done by transferring it into your bank account. You should be able to use your account balance to purchase things online without having a bank account attached to it though there may be limits as to how much you can keep in the paypal account and spend if you haven't verified the account with a credit or debit card, I'm not 100% sure on that.

Vekseid

Quote from: Ember Star on October 15, 2014, 06:47:50 PM
Does that mean withdrawing specific sums of cash? Or could you use the money added there to make online payments?

This line of confusion and trying to skirt around comes from me not having a bank account at the moment, nor the ability to open one. My name is on one of my mom's credit cards, but I don't want to link that. It's an emergency only sort of thing.

It's this flat broke'ness that is leading me to seek a way to make a little money via commissions, if I can.

I think there's a limit before they'll say 'verify or else', but you should be able to complete a certain amount of transactions.