Pathfinder Society X - Any interest?

Started by Melendrith, March 30, 2017, 07:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melendrith

Quote from: Grizzly on April 05, 2017, 10:25:58 PM
Weird, I didn't think that Society Play was really all that much trouble.  At least not bothersome enough to not want to play a game.  Guess that's just me then.
Haha same for me. TBH PFS play is much less restrictive than many other PF campaigns Ive seen in my area (including my own that I ran before joining PFS)

About clothing as HP, heres a rough idea.
Think of enemies slashing away/ blasting away your clothes/armor, effectively exposing your character as they go. This doesnt change your AC values or whatever, it is simply funny fluff.
Note that it tends to be jarring if others dont like the idea, eg if enemies are actually injuring your allies but are stripping you, it can get weird very quickly.

Combat Script is just some guidance to the GM how to manage your characters turn / actions / spells in case you are away (for foreseen or unforeseen reasons)

=======

Chulanowa - the closest Evergreen to a crawl is Confirmation.
Discord ID Zyraen
known as Ahzran^ or Dakushna^ on mIRC

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Chulanowa on April 05, 2017, 10:34:50 PM
It's not, I just meant I didn't know the details of it  ;D

Which means that I have no idea what ANY of those adventures are about, meaning I'd be happy with any of them. I've been having an itch for some sort of dungeon crawl, so if that's in the options, let's go with that.
This.

Not only don't I know the adventures, but most the abbreviations went right over my head.  VC?  L1 I'm sure means Level 1, but what does it take to make a new character "official?"

Melendrith

Hmm if no one has really played the adventures before, I think it would be best to just run Confirmation with no changes. Classic Pathfinder style.

All good? But i may split two groups if too many. I will also use my phones app Cut & Paste to put up a map.
Example Map
https://www.rpggeek.com/image/3337233/zeyran
Discord ID Zyraen

Hunter

I've done Society play in the past and I really advise against it.    One of the things you have to keep in mind as a GM is that everything has to be done exactly as the module stipulates.    Exactly, irregardless of player actions.

You might be better off using house rules rather than PFS rules.   Then again, clothing as hit points does sound like fun.

Melendrith

Hunter - that depends on GMs and VOs. In my area its mostly there to prevent GMs from using nonsense killer tactics not prescribed in the scenario.

RP wise if it makes sense, I see no reason why some railroaded NPC deaths could not be averted, after all players play to be heroes and I dont cut any corners on the mechanical challenges.

Regardless, the consensus so far is anti Society play. This thread is still here for discussion, but based on current overall sentiment, I could just start a new thread with some houserule restrictions and then run Confirmation homebrew style.
Discord ID Zyraen

Hunter

*nods*   I wouldn't mind a pathfinder game myself, I lean toward clerics anyways.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Hunter on April 05, 2017, 11:02:36 PM
*nods*   I wouldn't mind a pathfinder game myself, I lean toward clerics anyways.
I've never played a pathfinder game personally Hunter but from what I've seen either Vigilante (if it is allowed) or Oracle seem like they could be interesting classes to try out. :3
My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Hunter

I usually play heal bot.   Might be nice to play something else for a change.

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Hunter on April 05, 2017, 11:08:29 PM
I usually play heal bot.   Might be nice to play something else for a change.

Well there is always the possibility that I go druid. From what I've seen pathfinder has made them to be quite a fun option too. :3
My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time

Melendrith

Clerics are very strong, most of my cheese fellow gamers tell me theyre super in Pathfinder, except two who vouch for Druids (but one of them has more clerics than druids). So yeah, good choice!

Oracle is also a very very good class, although I usually just dip in it and forget it. Myself i tend to run Gunslingers of various stripes cuz theyre not so cheesy, but theyre decent I guess.

Hunter - ref your last post, you can be both as an L1 cleric.

Edit: drow - Vigilante is also ok, but theyre not very good at L1.
Discord ID Zyraen

Hunter

Hunter will play... not a cleric.   Probably.     ;D

Drowdeviant

Quote from: Hunter on April 05, 2017, 11:12:20 PM
Hunter will play... not a cleric.   Probably.     ;D

*shower Hunter in confetti* Yes, fight the system. Get mad, invent a combustible lemon to burn the system's house down. xD

Hunter

Oh, I'll come up with something.    There's plenty of potential archetype/race combinations out there.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Melendrith on April 05, 2017, 11:00:43 PM
Hunter - that depends on GMs and VOs. In my area its mostly there to prevent GMs from using nonsense killer tactics not prescribed in the scenario.

RP wise if it makes sense, I see no reason why some railroaded NPC deaths could not be averted, after all players play to be heroes and I dont cut any corners on the mechanical challenges.

Regardless, the consensus so far is anti Society play. This thread is still here for discussion, but based on current overall sentiment, I could just start a new thread with some houserule restrictions and then run Confirmation homebrew style.

Could just edit the original post / title with the changes, of course.

NightLux

Hello everyone!  I talked with Melendrith and I've been allowed to join.  However (and not to step on his toes) he said we need to break into two groups of three.  I'll play pretty much anything, so let me know what the group needs and I'll just build around it.

To also throw in my 2c:

• Vigilantes are a blast, but the kicker at low levels is it takes a minute to switch between social and vigilante personas.  They make great social characters, though, but I've never seen a build that really shines.  Overall they're really a jack-of-all-trades sort of character.
  • Clerics are very powerful mostly because no one really wants to play a healbot.  But a healing cleric in PF can really shine and kick some serious tale.  Just take Selective Channeling so you don't heal enemies with your channels.
  • I also vote against strict Society rules (for one, you can't craft) but rather Homebrew mostly because we're PbP and, as mentioned, we'll likely be deviating from the modules quite a bit given, err, our forum.

Anyway, looking forward to this!

Edit: Damn you code!  Fixed the formatting...
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
RP Status: Seeking new partners
RL Status: Looking forward to my birthday!
Solo Status: 0 (due) / 3 (total)
In Development: 0
Group Due: 0 (due) / 0 (total)
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kathyan

Quote from: Melendrith on April 05, 2017, 08:02:50 PM
VC Pref: (Leave blank if none)

Enemy Pref (choose 1): Normal, All Male, All Female

Combat (choose 1) Normal, Clothing as HP, Freeform*
* - Freeform means the GM attacks and rolls, then you describe what happens to your character

Got a couple of questions there, what is VC and what do you mean with "normal" enemies?
I'm between clothing as HP and freeform, or maybe a mix of both :P
And as I don't the scenarios, I'll just go with something balanced, something like 40% combat, 30% RP, 30% Skills or something close to that.

Oh and by the way I'm planning going Hegde Witch here.

NightLux

Quote from: Kathyan on April 06, 2017, 12:51:29 PM
Got a couple of questions there, what is VC and what do you mean with "normal" enemies?
I'm between clothing as HP and freeform, or maybe a mix of both :P
And as I don't the scenarios, I'll just go with something balanced, something like 40% combat, 30% RP, 30% Skills or something close to that.

Oh and by the way I'm planning going Hegde Witch here.

A VC is a Venture-Captain, basically the NPC that gives the missions and takes the reports.

By "normal" I think he's contrasting versus an All-Female or All-Male.  Maybe "mixed gender" would be better word to use.

I also vote for "clothing as HP" and a "freeform" mix.  I always liked the idea of HP as also the energy you have to dodge.  If someone misses, you might have dodged, but if they hit and do damage, narratively you also did dodge, but you did at the last minute, burning a bunch of energy and stressing yourself out.  No reason, given the nature of this version, it couldn't also rip off some clothing too.

And the scenario - I don't really care for each.  It looks like we're not going to be doing strict PFS, so we can ad lib as needed.  Right?

And hedge witches are awesome.  I was thinking a rogue myself, maybe a bard.  Not sure of the archetype yet.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hunter

Quote from: NightLux on April 06, 2017, 01:19:41 PM
By "normal" I think he's contrasting versus an All-Female or All-Male.  Maybe "mixed gender" would be better word to use.

I also vote for "clothing as HP" and a "freeform" mix.

I can't roleplay a female in an erotic situation so I pretty much agree with NightLux.  I'm thinking of resurrecting Ragnar (my pathfinder version of the Incredible Hulk) if nothing else catches my fancy, though dex tank might be fun to make.

NightLux

Oh, go dex tank.  I've run a few people who played them and they seem to have a blast.  You're top-line AC might be a bit lower, but you have a higher touch AC which is really helpful when fighting spellcasters.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hunter

Grizzly

I'll need to come up with a new level 1 character.  What to play?  Hmm....It sounds like we have a Tank, spell caster and...roguish sort...so far.

I like the idea of clothing as HP, that could be fun. Although, how would you shred the plate mail of a Paladin? 

I like Kathyans breakdown for desired scenarios, so I'll second that.  :)
We few, we happy few, we band of writers;
For they this day that share words with me
Shall be my fellow; be they ne'er so vile,

NightLux

Quote from: Grizzly on April 06, 2017, 05:17:25 PM
I'll need to come up with a new level 1 character.  What to play?  Hmm....It sounds like we have a Tank, spell caster and...roguish sort...so far.

I like the idea of clothing as HP, that could be fun. Although, how would you shred the plate mail of a Paladin? 

I like Kathyans breakdown for desired scenarios, so I'll second that.  :)

Remember we're going to be in two groups of three, so doubling up isn't an issue.  And at 1st level, you wouldn't have plate  :P

Remember that's there's the SRD too.  I recommend the Slayer.  Its a lot of fun to be a ranger/rogue mix.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Hunter

I'm actually leaning toward making a dedicated cleric channeler.    The idea of using divine energy to shred clothes is just...     ;D

NightLux

Quote from: Hunter on April 06, 2017, 05:28:56 PM
I'm actually leaning toward making a dedicated cleric channeler.    The idea of using divine energy to shred clothes is just...     ;D

I vote this.  Very much this.
[tr][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Melendrith

Lol I just ran a session of the Tome of Righteous Repose last night, where a friend used some L3 cleric to inflict -4 to all d20 along with damage
Discord ID Zyraen