Interest check - 7th Sea (2nd ed)

Started by HairyHeretic, March 24, 2017, 05:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

So, I'm toying with the idea of running a 7th Sea game, and wanted to see what interest there might be in it. I don't have a lot planned out yet, but the first story idea is somewhat inspired by

Actually by , but I figured the first was amusing and should be shared :)

It will be set in Northern Montagne,in Lock Horn Forest (near the border with Eisen).

Anyone interested in a little light swashbuckling then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7m5Int1hAA

Edit - Care of MadPanda, the basic rules can be found here

http://johnwickpresents.com/7th-sea-basic-rules/

covering the setting, character creation and basic gameplay.

OOC Thread
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chulanowa

HairyHeretic

Do you know 7th Sea, or do you need a run down on the game / setting?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chulanowa

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 24, 2017, 05:59:22 PM
Do you know 7th Sea, or do you need a run down on the game / setting?

I've never played it before, but I do have the core book. Pretty sure it's 2nd edition? Not sure, I've sorta gone over it once.  :-)

HairyHeretic

If your book looks more or less like this it's 2nd ed

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Gateman

I'm really interested in this concept, if you're willing to A.) give me a rundown of the setting and whatnot, and B.) lemme be evil, or at the least chaotic good/neutral

HairyHeretic

The short version is it's a swashbuckling game set in a fantasized version of 17th century-ish Europe. Evil is out I'm afraid. The players are Heroes, and committing evil acts makes you a Villian, which is a short route to mandatory NPCage. In D&D terms, Chaotic Good would be fine, Chaotic Neutral .. probably not so much.

It's a game of flashing blades and razor sharp wit, of intrigue, sorcery and secret societies. A game where monsters can lurk in the dark places of the world, and the Brotherhood of the Coast pillage the 6 seas around the continent. A new world lies far to the west, but little is yet known of it. The ruins of an ancient civilization dot the globe, with artifacts found in all lands,  caked with the dust of thousands of years.

It's a game of action and drama. Lost loves and rooftop duels. Passionate declarations of love and hate. It's Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

It's the Three Musketeers and The Princess Bride, Brotherhood of the Wolf and Pirates of the Caribbean, Zorro and La Maupin

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Gateman

I'ma be honest with you, only seen the pirates of the carribean from that list O///O I'll take a look at the quick start rules and get a character together though.

Muse

Hi Hairy! 

Got room for me? 

When would you like to start buy?  I'm out of town 'til the second, and my second edition PDF is at home. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

HairyHeretic

You know how long it takes to get group games up and running :) As long as you have a concept in mind, I'm sure you can sort the mechanics side out yourself easily enough.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

(raises hand to speak)

(is cut off by his feminine side who rushes in far too eagerly where angels run the fuck away...)

Yeah, I'm in.  You better believe I'm in.  One mischief-making Vodacce roof-running street-rat coming riiiiight up.

And a much better source than the quickstart rules would be here...http://johnwickpresents.com/7th-sea-basic-rules/ with the basic rules files down at the bottom.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Thanks for that, I'd forgotten about that set. I'll update that link into my first post.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Crash

Yes, yes, yes!!!

Eisen Monster Hunter!!!

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

EndofDivine

Quote from: Gateman on March 24, 2017, 08:23:10 PM
I'ma be honest with you, only seen the pirates of the carribean from that list O///O I'll take a look at the quick start rules and get a character together though.

What?! You haven't seen Princess Bride?! That's such a good movie! I promise it's not as girly as the name makes it sound.

*clears throat* Ok. So now that I've finished shepherding a lost soul...I'm interested. It does depend on the details of the plot but I can get behind playing a game that's similar to that trailer you posted.

greenknight

Oooo, ooooo, me, me.

Picked up 2nd at Gen Con last year from John Wick's (the real one) booth, got my included DriveThruRPG download....

Oh, and Mrs. Claus on the chapter one splashpage.

On a serious note, if this is somewhat based on Les Pacte des Loups, in flavor and not story I hope, do yo want a majority of Montaigne heroes?
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Marie Reynolds

Ohhh Yeah! 7th Sea please tell me your still accepting player?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: EndofDivine on March 25, 2017, 06:11:20 AM
What?! You haven't seen Princess Bride?! That's such a good movie! I promise it's not as girly as the name makes it sound.

Indeed. Along with Big Trouble in Little China I'd consider it a movie every gamer ought to see.

Quote from: EndofDivine on March 25, 2017, 06:11:20 AM
*clears throat* Ok. So now that I've finished shepherding a lost soul...I'm interested. It does depend on the details of the plot but I can get behind playing a game that's similar to that trailer you posted.

There will be a beast, danger, mystery and all of that good stuff :) For obvious reasons I don't want to go too much into plot details.

Quote from: greenknight on March 25, 2017, 06:57:48 AM
Oooo, ooooo, me, me.

Picked up 2nd at Gen Con last year from John Wick's (the real one) booth, got my included DriveThruRPG download....

Oh, and Mrs. Claus on the chapter one splashpage.

On a serious note, if this is somewhat based on Les Pacte des Loups, in flavor and not story I hope, do yo want a majority of Montaigne heroes?

As long as the players have a reason for being in the area (and although it's in Montagne it's also fairly close to Eisen and Castille, and has traces of Avalonian influence) I have no issue with where the players come from. 7th Sea being 7th Sea there is plenty of reason for players to be wandering the world.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on March 25, 2017, 07:43:52 AM
Ohhh Yeah! 7th Sea please tell me your still accepting player?

I am. No choices made regarding players yet. This was to judge if there was sufficient interest in starting a game up, which there does seem to be.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Hmmm.  Vodacce street rat or Numan homage to Phyrra Nikos?  Decisions, decisions.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Which will get you into trouble more often? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

Numan street rat raised in Vodacce? Claims to be a princess, driven from her rightful throne by the schemes of her evil grand vizer, who was also her uncle.

How many tropes can you fit into one character concept? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

(laugh). Was not goona cross the streams, Igon, but now that you mention it...since I seem to be stuck in a Dishonored/Assassin's Creed/ Thief sort of headspace right now, I will stick with my humble street rat.

In Memory of Bishrook

HairyHeretic

I think the last proper 7th Sea character I played was a Crecent exile who claimed a similar backstory. He claimed a very great many things, some of which may even have been true :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

MadPanda

Ah, yiss, Herr Baron Munchauser...

I can explain what Marsi is doing in Eisen easily enough.  Chasing skirt.

EDIT stuuuupid iPad autocorrect

In Memory of Bishrook