Interest check (MTA/Modern Exalted). Mul/nc/ex possible

Started by Plot Hooks, November 25, 2009, 09:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plot Hooks

Writing from my phone,  so I'll be brief.   I've had this idea for a modern nights exalted game for awhile now,  and I want to run the prelude to it,  which is an OWD Mage game.   I have revised character asheets and creation rules to be posted later.   I'd prefer to keep the groups small,  but if there's enough interest,  I may open up a Technocratic campaign.

Comply//Submit
"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Ons/Offs       Ideas          A/A

Senti

Well I am certainly interested in mage, do I get to play a maurader :)

Plot Hooks

Not off the bat, but your character might end up that way.  :)

Here's the little writeup I did for the game on RPOL....

"I look'd upon the eldritch deck. And there the dead men lay.
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Let those with ears hear. 
Let those with eyes see.   

The signs are everywhere, yet no one takes notice.  The sleepers sleep, as they always have, blissfully ignoring what they know in their heart to be true.   They dare not even try to comprehend the change looming over their heads.   Even so, there is a palpable sense of hopelessness lingering in the air.   

Since the Week of Nightmares, Reality has been on edge.   In the underworld, the Third Great Maelstrom tears and sunders the civilization of the once-born.   Likewise, a horrible Avatar Storm has all but destroyed the paths to the spiritual world, leaving Earth’s Mages, Traditionalist and Technocrat alike without access to their elders.  Despite all of this, Perhaps the most disturbing event has been the appearance of the Red Star in the sky.

At first, only the supernatural creatures of the world could see it.   It goes by many names: The garu call it, Anthelios. The Kindred have named it Wormwood.  The mages have bestowed it Telos.  The Nephandi refer to it as the Eye of Malfeas.  While the name is in dispute, all who can see it recognize it as an ill omen. 

The Technocracy and the Traditions have called a truce.  The Ascension War has been effectively lost by the Traditions, and they’ve bunkered down to lick their wounds.   The monolithic Technocracy has begun to fracture from lack of leadership. 

By far and large, the last 7 years have been a holding pattern.   4 years ago, Iteration X predicted an Armageddon level event in 5 years.   Wars and natural disasters have been on the rise, and the number of nations in political upheaval has risen.   

Three years ago, in London a large chunk of downtown was lost to a previously unknown sink-hole.   It has sense been repaired, but the events leading up to the collapse had been shrouded in secrecy.   Officially, it was a natural disaster.  There are a few supernatural beings however that insist on having heard a great and terrible voice demanding subservience.   It is widely hypothesized among Mage communities that there’s a conspiracy to cover-up what happened.

There are storms all around, both in front and behind.  The arcane community knows that it’s sitting in the eye of hurricane.    The Red Star weighs on everyone’s mind.  Missives from The Rouge Council treaten to re-ignite the Ascension War.  Old alliances and hierarchies are crumbling, and new ones are rising to take their place.  The Wheel of Ages sits on the cusp of the Fifth Age, rolling inevitably into the Sixth, and everyone is waiting with baited breath.

"Cut me down or let me run.  Either way it's all gonna burn." - Joe (The Protomen)

Raveled

I remember a modern Exalted game I was in once.  By Essence 4/5, we were routinely destroying good-sized towns.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Plot Hooks

That's pretty much the idea.     Getting to that point will be half the fun though.

Ultimately, it's a 4 part saga.   

The prelude is a Mage campaign, designed mostly to expose the under-lying situation that leads to the return of the exalted.

The First Exalted campaign is actually Abyssal and details the Neverborn's renewed attempt at murdering creation

The second is a Lunar campaing whose nature will depend on what the players are in the first,  and the third is a Solar Campaign, whose nature will hinge on the first two.

It should be alot of fun, and it's the sort of thing that I actually expect to run for a couple of years or so.

I'm not looking for a particularly grueling posting rate either.   Once or twice a week will likely be as fast as the GM post.

HairyHeretic

As an alternate to Exalted, have a look at Scion. It's designed for a modern setting after all. I can also testify that it's a lot of fun :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Senti

Yes I agree Scion is fantastic, we have had a long running game table top.

I have never played Exhalted, though someone may be running a game for us.

HairyHeretic

Exalted is a very good game as well, similar to Scion as well.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Senti

I like most games to be honest.

I try to turn my hand to most things :)

Plot Hooks

Scion is a great game as well.    It shouldn't come as any surprise that Exalted and Scion are both designed by John Chambers.   The game design gives it all away, and I've had alot of fun playing it.   However, I'm not sure that it's for this.    However, since it's got the same underlying mechanics, I do use Scion for mechanical reference.

Muse

Sounds neat, Plot Hooks, and nicely paced.  I'll bite. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Plot Hooks

Well, if Senti's up for it, that'd make two, which would be enough for me to get this running.

Senti

Muse

*Smile's*  Well, I can back him up there.  ^_^;; 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Plot Hooks

Allright kids, your OOC thread is here.

There you'll find character sheets, an explanation of how I'm wedging Mage into the Exalted system, Character Creation Rules, and XP rules.    It's kinda long and technical, but don't get scared.    I'll take care of all the behind-the-scenes mechanics if it scares you, so that you can concentrate on the RP.   It's all just posted there for the sake of transparency, in case you want to know how I make my decisions. 

When I get character sheets in, I'll create the main thread.   I stuck it in the Extreme section, just in case we wander into that territory.  However,  I don't expect we will, and I full anticipate on respecting a player's wishes if they wander into a spot that's not so comfortable for them.   The object of the game, after all, is to have fun. 

That brings me to another topic:

I realize that E is an Adult RP board, but I'm not running this as if it's a strictly sexual RP.   If it comes to that, then by all means, we will do what the RP calls for.   However, if you guys get caught up in the plot or whatever, you're not going to disappoint met if Sex doesn't come up.

The truth of the matter is, this game will be what you make of it.   You're not going to be on rails at all, though all of your actions will have consequences within context of the game.   I learned a long time ago that when playing Mage, you can't make the players do what you want them to, so I've stopped trying and learned to enjoy flowing with the situations that they get themselves into.

I look forward to seeing what you cook up!