A separate Intersex/transgender/genderqueer/etc tag?

Started by Vekseid, February 07, 2009, 10:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sultrynets

I was not originally going to post in here at all.  I just wonder... does it really matter what gender someone is when they are writing with you??  Because I know plenty of girls that write extremely convincing and sexy male characters... along with plenty of guys that can write enticing, sexy females.  In my opinion, if someone identifies as a female, but is physically male... they are the ones suffering.  As a female that is happy being a female... I cannot imagine the frustration in being physically male when you feel like you are a female.  Anyway, I don't see the big deal in any TG person having access to either of the boards because well... I know there really isn't much on the Ladies boards that could not be posted elsewhere on the forums but aren't because... what guy really wants to read about PMS frustrations??

Anyway, I personally think I agree with Trieste.  The only people that are asking for a separate tag are the people that are comfortable in their physical gender.  I don't think we really need a separate tag for TGs at all.  Elliquiy is generally speaking a very open and accepting community.  Everyone here has different sexual kinks that society would normally label as strange or weird and we accept all of that with no problems... so why is it that when someone who feels like they were born in the wrong body comes along... so many people freak out about it?? I just think that we should be a bit more accepting and understanding, because really... anyone who is TG already has enough confusion and pain to deal with... without being made to feel any extra pressure, pain, confusion etc here.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td][/tr][/table]

Haibane

Quote from: Paradox on February 09, 2009, 01:14:27 PM
Just a question, somewhat related to one of Seraph's points--

Who cares what the tag says? Most of us are here to write. Some men enjoy playing women, some women enjoy playing men. It really shouldn't matter what gender the writer is, only what gender the character is, but if someone is uncomfortable when it comes to writing with someone else of the same-sex or someone transgendered, then just don't write with those people. Just find a different partner who suits your preferences. It's not that difficult.
It matters to me. I dislike playing with players who want to play cross-gender. I try to avoid it at all times. I... can't really explain it, but it does make me uncomfortable.

Therefore the gender tag is of paramount importance to me.

Quote from: Trieste on February 09, 2009, 01:25:34 PMThe only people asking for the differentiation are people who are frightened that there could be freaks among us.
That would possibly include the original poster? He suggested one may be needed and that we should debate it. I suggested it might be a good idea too. I still do. Are you saying I'm frightened there are freaks among us? If you are then I resent the suggestion. I have met far more 'freaky' hetero males on E than anyone transgendered or gender neutral (in fact I don't think a person can be 'gender neutral' any more than a person can be exactly 50/50 bisexual - there will always be a slight bias to one side or the other). I suggested a third tag may be needed because the original poster set up the thread title and phrased the original question so that my thinking became aligned that way.

I have met one transgendered person on E and love and respect them very much. I know *exactly* what they went through right from small childhood at the hands of their own - and quite frankly sick - parents. I am not afraid of freaks; I am afraid of ordinary bigoted people and how much damage and hurt they can do.

Trieste

Quote from: Haibane on February 09, 2009, 06:31:25 PM
That would possibly include the original poster? He suggested one may be needed and that we should debate it.

No; he was posting it in response to other communication.

Are you saying I'm frightened there are freaks among us?

Probably.

If you are then I resent the suggestion.

Okay, then.

I have met far more 'freaky' hetero males on E than anyone transgendered or gender neutral (in fact I don't think a person can be 'gender neutral' any more than a person can be exactly 50/50 bisexual - there will always be a slight bias to one side or the other). I suggested a third tag may be needed because the original poster set up the thread title and phrased the original question so that my thinking became aligned that way.

I understand. It was someone else's fault that you have the opinion you do. You're still responsible for it, though. Your ideas about bisexuality and the males of Elliquiy are interesting; given a community like Elliquiy, you will probably also find people who share them. That happens to be the beauty of such a community. Funny how that works.

I have met one transgendered person on E and love and respect them very much. I know *exactly* what they went through right from small childhood at the hands of their own - and quite frankly sick - parents. I am not afraid of freaks; I am afraid of ordinary bigoted people and how much damage and hurt they can do.

One person, and you know everything they went through. What do you want, a cookie? (Joke, struck out because I'm hoping that in the process of killing my joke adding subtext that it won't be leaped on and laid into with teeth and claws.) Every person's experience is different, just like every other highly personal experience we all go through. Sexuality in itself is highly personal, and it's not going to fit in some nice, neat little cubbyhole where everyone can feel happy and comfy with that stuff over there. The thing is that we don't really even try to do so with others, save for the exception of trying to categorize games. That's the way it should essentially stay.

Nadir

I think having an ambiguous gender badge should be an option, and those who take it should have the same perks as the Lords and Ladies - ie their own forum to discuss things.

Personally, I don't like feeling I'm restricted to the one gender and I loathe the assumptions people make by seeing it. Of course, people will always make assumptions no matter what title is above the name, but at least I wouldn't feel like an imposter.

Zeitgeist

Just think, if we all applied the same earnest care and respect, wringing our hands in worried angst in fear of offending, to people's choice of religion (an equally deeply personal choice), as we do to sexual preferences. Be they evangelical born-again Christians, fervent Muslims, or white-robed Wiccans. Insert favorite much aligned and misunderstood group here.

And if you think we do already, you're fooling yourself, 'we' as in society in general not exclusively Elliquiy.

Yeah I horribly digressed.

<runs><hides>

LOL

Nadir

Ugh... I for one would rather leave E than advertise my religion, if that's what you're suggesting.

Oniya

I think Zamdrist is actually commenting on the fact that we have an entire board dedicated to the potentially offending subjects of politics and religion.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Eden on February 09, 2009, 11:21:40 PM
Ugh... I for one would rather leave E than advertise my religion, if that's what you're suggesting.

No, such a denotation would clearly be irrelevant. I'm just saying, if one is going to extol the freedom to claim any gender of choice, here or elsewhere, one should be consistent and apply the same level of respect of choice across the board.

Lithos

Still, as I mentioned in post earlier allready, we are bickering about issue that has been solved for a long time allready. We DO have option for changing gender in real life thanks to technology allready, and it IS possible to be indentified as opposite gender in our society. What is point when there is system allready in place to handle the gender change, look at your ID card, passport, drivers lisence or such, you see your gender there and we can use that. What could possibly be more simple or clear method to use for this x.x.

Everyone can and has always been able to be what ever they want personally here. What we are talking about here is our identification to outside and that is all in our papers, there is no need whatsoever for any odd system that we would need to bicker about here.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Trieste

*thwaps Zamdrist with a rolled up newspaper* If you want to discuss an offshoot topic, make another thread, please. I know you know better. :P

Nadir

Should I request a third gender badge in a PM to one of the gods or goddesses? There really isn't much info about how someone goes about doing this. I know one isn't available yet - I just want to be in line when one is made.