Darkbringers: Isekai Adventure (5th DnD rulesystem, some homebrew)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, August 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Laughing Hyena: Greatclub is simple 2h weapon, so cannot use shield with it. Unless get magical floating shield or ring which conjures one when needed to deflect attacks. Or find some custom item (like bracers of shielding which give shield bonus to AC without carrying one but take wrist slot).

Pink Professional: Ok, the broken god gave you a vorpal halberd, so breaking the trend vorpal quality is for swords only. It gives +3 bonus to hit&dmg and allows ignore resistance to slashing dmg. On nat 20 you remove head from target unless it's larger than huge or is immune to slashing dmg or otherwise has no head (or has legendary actions). In case of too large head or lack of a head the weapon does instead 6d8 additional dmg on nat 20 hit.

Laughing Hyena

Im having issues with my mac laptop. Websites keep crashing, safari and other programs on the mac are crashing and visual glitches are forming on my screen. I may be regulated to my phone imminently as I lack the troubleshooting prowess to fix it, I stress easily, and lack the money to pay for a fix or replacement. Just as an advanced warning for folks if I suddenly vanish and become limited to my phone browser.

Pink Professional

SilkenVenom

Fixed the the formatting

Name/Villain alias: Caitlyn Moretti/Vera Dreadrose
Occupation (RL): Doctor
Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Drawing, Movies, the occasional video game

Personality: Caitlyn was an optimist for most of her life. She always tried to look on the bright side, never letting bumps get her down. She had wanted to be a doctor at a young age and always studied hard in school to get the opportunity to go. However, the reality of the world hit her hard and, even though she attained her dream, it made her rather cynical and depressed. She loves her work as a doctor, but there are certain elements she cannot stand and her rather abrasive attitude can rub people the wrong way.

Sexual Ons: Oral, Anal, Harems, Domination
Sexual Offs:Blood, Vore, Toilet stuff

Background:Caitlyn grew up in a middle class family, wanting nothing more than to help people by becoming a doctor. She went to school, studied hard, and eventually managed to attain her dream. She worked for Sacred Rose hospital and was on the right track to a comfortable life. However, the things she saw during her work had left a bad impression on her. The world was cruel and violent and unfair. She had to tend to patients who were shot, sick and dying. Despite her best to distance herself from them, she was only human and not a robot. Her life ended up changing when a young girl was dying of a serious illness. There was no cure and she was in a lot of pain throughout the ordeal. They spoke often, even after she was off her shift. Then the girl asked her to do the unthinkable: to end her suffering.

Caitlyn didn't listen at first. She even got mad she would ask such a think. So she spent the next week watching her slowly fade away, the pain causing her to cry in her sleep. A doctors first oath is to do no harm; that was the justification she used. Yet this was doing far more harm. In the end, she relented and granted the girls wish. Her parents, however, did not understand. Though she was heavily fined and fired from the hospital, she managed to stay out of prison. Nowhere else would hire her except as a medical examiner; she couldn't do anymore harm when her patients were already dead, after all.

She was angry and spiteful. Even doing the right thing was considered wrong, it seemed. And it wasn't like anyone ever thanked her. She had given up so much to pursue her dream and where did it get her? In the basement of a government buildings, handling the remains of people's cruelty. When would she get her chance? When would she get what she deserved? That answer came late one night as she was closing up the place. She thought she had heard something in one of the freezers, calling her name. Telling her she could find what she wanted if she trusted it. Probably against her better judgement, she opened the drawer, blinked, and blacked out.

Charsheet: https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1976606

Vera Dreadrose

Pink Professional

The Float Function was missing the / from the closing img tag. That's universal to all the sheets.

However, Caitlyn/Vera is cool as hell. I look forward to butting heads with her. The irony of a patient butting heads with the doctor is not lost on me either.

euanthe

Is their the implication that our characters will have to pass unnoticed through a majority-human realm? Will choosing to make my character a Tiefling be a millstone around the neck of the entire group, is what I'm really asking.

Pink Professional

I'm 99% sure that the Tiefling will be less noticeable than the Giant Orc-Demon

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Pink Professional on August 04, 2019, 05:15:35 PM
I'm 99% sure that the Tiefling will be less noticeable than the Giant Orc-Demon

Definitely would be less noticeable. Someone alter the look of the big brutish Orc Paladin/Barbarian. And in light of us having a guile villain in the form of a warlock, I'll not go for that ridiculous eldritch smite combo as a Paladin/Warlock. Sides its more thematically appropriate for both background in world and character. ^_^

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 04, 2019, 01:32:16 PM
Laughing Hyena: Greatclub is simple 2h weapon, so cannot use shield with it. Unless get magical floating shield or ring which conjures one when needed to deflect attacks. Or find some custom item (like bracers of shielding which give shield bonus to AC without carrying one but take wrist slot).

Ill put it on a wishlist, but the bone shield is basically for a backup, or if I get turned a size large humanoid. I picked a bone maul instead, and I'll be going for some sort of other one handed weapon just in case. Maybe like an heavy mace or axe made of bones?

NotoriusBEN

Alright, I think I know what I'm gonna do. Gonna stay GOO warlock and take wizard for my alt class. Yes, that means I need Int and Cha for casting and that will be a MAD issue, but I'm gonna shore that up with Unbridled Mind. Basically, my Str, Dex, and Con are gonna be dump stats, which is fine. Con has a +1 because that was the only way I could fit the 30point buy. Reading the disadvantages, I still have that +1 raw power from Con, I just can't get any proficiency in saves or skills in the physical attributes.

self edit*** omg, I did not know what I was doing to myself by picking Unrivaled Mind... so much more math to compute, But I've basically solved my spell slot issues, because Unrivaled Mind is pretty fucking good... good thing I got a few meat shields between me and pointy death.

Edit edit** I am a bit curious, Zaer. I think its just a poor choice of words, but for Unrivaled Mind with skill proficiencies:
Do I just have proficiency with all Int, Wis, Cha based skills. Or do I have proficiency as well as expertise with the skills I normally would have chosen for my character?

Name/Villain alias: Ellis McDowell / Elias Balthezar
Occupation (RL): Student
Hobbies: Video Games, Tabletop, Reading, Learning, Engineering, Occult

Personality: In the real world, Ellis is a teenager with a sharp inquisitive mind with prospects of becoming an engineer. Even though he was smart and witty, the fact that he was always overweight as a kid kept his social prospects pretty low as others always shot down any attempt on his part to be friends with them. The dark gifts of the Entity that answered Ellis' summoning has changed everything for him. His mind has been inundated with knowledge he never knew. He is at ease talking and retorting with people. To his chagrin, while his new body is better than what he had it is... merely average. But that is fine, he was always smart, and he always found a way. He would bend this world to his will now.

Sexual Ons: Domination, BDSM, Blackmail/Coercion, Tentacles
Sexual Offs: Gore, Toilet stuff, Necro, Snuff

Background: Ellis was an American transfer student to a japanese high school due to his father being in the military. Instead of being a rare gem among the other males in his class, Elias was instead a pariah. A gaijin. It didn't help that all the 'L's in his name meant that his fellow students deliberately butchered the pronunciation of it. Furthermore, Ellis wasn't the fastest or the strongest kid in school, almost always at the bottom of the pack when running, swimming, or playing sports. He was saved from total ostracization by falling into a group of fellow otaku and gamers, students that were smart and witty, but who also were not really able to keep up socially with their peers. It didn't help Ellis' own standing, but if it meant he wasn't completely alone, he would take it.

Towards the end of high school, Ellis and the others were reading books on the occult and other mysticism looking vainly in all the wrong places for any sort of wisdom or guidance in getting girls to at least notice them or talk to them. Anything before prom night came and went. Their desperation was evident with the glyphs and sigils and the arcane formulae upon the classroom floor, walls, and ceiling. When Ellis cut his hand and pressed the bloody palm into his circle at the same time as the others... time stood still. The students could reach out and collect the photons of light around them forming dim tracers in the air. Blood and ichor boiled from unseen slits in their chalk marks. As the others recoiled in fear and loathing, burning away atom by atom, Ellis reached forth into the searing darkness and took what was rightfully his.

The voice that spoke, did not yell or scream for doing so would have rent Ellis' mind asunder. It was merely, crushingly oppressive,
"I AM THE ENGINE OF LIFE, THE SOURCE OF NOSGOTH'S VERY EXISTENCE.
I AM THE HUB OF THE WHEEL, THE ORIGIN OF ALL LIFE, THE DEVOURER OF DEATH.
WHAT DO YOU DESIRE?"

Ellis' skull felt like it was about to split open like a rotten fruit, unable to bear the words it spoke, "I'll give anything to not be me..."

Ellis receiving the gift of knowledge from the Tome of Nosgoth

The Elder God of Nosgoth

Charsheet: (can use online ones like mythweavers or type it out and place inside spoiler)

Elias Balthezar
Name: Elias Balthezar
Race: Human Variant
Class: Warlock Great Old One 3 / Wizard Tier 1 
Alignment: Lawful Evil

hp: 22 (3d8+2 HD); AC:11  ; Init: +0 Passive Perception 15

Human Variant
Lawful Evil Medium Humanoid
Languages Common, All Languages (Unrivaled Mind)

Immunity
Resistance

Proficiencies
Bonus +2
Abilities Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma (Unrivaled Mind) 
Weapons & Armor Simple Weapons; Light Armor
Skills Arcana, History, Deception, Investigation, Persuasion at +7. Remaining INT, WIS, CHA skills at +5.(Unrivaled Mind) All STR, DEX, CON skills at +0
Tools Wizard Spellbook/Tome of Shadows

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee Dagger 1d4+2
Quarterstaff 1d6+2
Ranged Dagger 1d4+2
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Atk Options Lots of Spells

Combat Gear
Spellcasting War (CHA Base Spell DC: 13) (Spell Attack Bonus: +5)
                     Wiz (INT Base Spell DC: 13) (Spell Attack Bonus: +5) (Spells Prepared: 4)
   War Cant Chill Touch, Eldritch Blast, Friends, Minor Illusion, Spare the Dying
   Wiz Cant Mending, Message, Shape Water
   War 1st Arms of Hadar, Disguise Self, Dissonant Whispers
   Wiz 1st xCharm Person, xChromatic Orb, xGrease, Detect Magic, Illusory Script, xSnare
   War 2nd Detect Thoughts, Suggestion

Warlock Slots 4x 2nd level (Unrivaled Mind)
Wizard Slots 4x 1st level (Unrivaled Mind)

Abilities STR 10(+0), DEX 10(+0), CON 12(+1), INT 17(+3), WIS 12(+1), CHA 17(+3)
Class Traits Otherworldly Patron: Great Old One, Pact Magic, Eldritch Innvocations: Gaze of Two Minds, Mask of Many Faces, Pact Boon: Tome of Shadows, Awakened Mind (1way telepathy)
Wizard Spellcasting, Wizard Spellbook, Ritual Casting, Arcane Recovery
Racial Traits Additional Feat and Skill Proficiency
Feats
Observant
Quick to notice details of your environment, you gain the following benefits:
- Increase your Intelligence or Wisdom score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
- If you can see a creature’s mouth while it is speaking a language you understand, you can interpret what it’s saying by reading its lips.
- You have a +5 bonus to your passive Wisdom (Perception) and Intelligence (Investigation) scores.
(DM Homebrew freebie)
Actor
You have an advantage on Charisma (Deception) and Charisma (Performance) checks when trying to pass yourself off as a different person. You can mimic the speech of another person or the sounds made by other creatures. You must have heard the person speaking, or heard the creature make the sound, for at least 1 minute. A successful Wisdom (Insight) check contested by your Charisma (Deception) check allows a listener to determine that the effect is faked.
(Variant Human)

Dark Blessings
Minion Master
You gain absolutely loyal minions. They will not betray you and they have advantage on any saving throws against spells/effects which could make them charmed or frightened (works only if your present and able to be heard or seen by minions). Your minion pool is twice your class level. You can get minions based on CR of said minion, max allowed CR is equal to your class. So you can as third level char six CR 1 minions, twelve 1/2 CR or one CR 3 minion accompanied by three CR 1 minions. Minions must share your race/type, any minions outside your own race/type costs twice as much (and GM has final say to approve minion list always). When minions are slain, they are replaced by new ones in 24 hours. When your level grow, you can recruit new minions or decide evolve your minions to higher CR forms (evolution takes one full round action in minion's part). Minions retain their memories before evolution but minions replaced by death do not share memories of the fallen minions.

Your weakness however is that each time all your minions die (wiped out), you permanently loose your class level amount of HP (this cannot go below 1 HP).
Unrivaled Mind
YYou gain proficiency to intelligence, wisdom and charisma saves and your proficiency is doubled for them. Also your stat cap is not locked in 20, going up to 24. Also skills associated with intelligence, wisdom and charisma you are proficient with (with double proficiency). Also your proficient with all tools and know all languages and you have double of normal spell slots for your casting classes and you can take 15 to any intelligence related skills.

Your disadvantage is that you cannot gain proficiency, either skills or saves, related to strength, dexterity or constitution. This includes also any attacks which use those stats.

Background Sage (Arcana, History Proficiency) (reflecting high school and lots of reading)
Personality TraitI always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
IdealKnowledge is the path to power and domination.
BondI sold my soul for knowledge. I will go to any lengths to win it back.
FlawI'm convinced that no one can fool me the way that I fool others
Possessions
Starting Gear

Quarterstaff
Rod (Arcane Focus)
Scholar's Pack
Leather Armor
Dagger x3
Sage Gear (bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a set of common clothes)
Belt Pouch with 10g

NotoriusBEN

Also, I was sorely sorely tempted to take Mold Earth just to see if Zaer would let me get away with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nzKBxw9cPI

Zaer Darkwail

I would had allowed mold earth shehanigans :P. Anyways on Unrivaled Mind; you get all Int, Wis and Cha skill proficiency automatically. Also you got automatic expertise with all of the skills (double the proficiency). However to make some meaning to picked skills (or prodigy feat) is that skills which you would had normally got; you get advantage with the skill rolls with them. If you had got expertise with said skill; you instead can take 10 on dice roll results with given skill.

Same applies to Unrivaled Might.

Edit; after bit thinking more awake I say you do not get advantages and taking 10 to skills. However instead each and every proficiency (including languages as you know all of them as tools) you would had gained from class, background or feats you get additional spell scribed to spellbook (to any level, not just 1st but unable cast it until have slot) or additional cantrip known. Any expertise what you would had gained instead gives either additional 1st level spell slot (not stacking with doubling) or additional spell known (for warlock, sorcs etc). In case of bard who gains later levels expertise and has spell slots get additional spell slots to up to max what they can cast during the time when they gain expertise.

To all: As reminder you get bonus feat in 1st level by default, humans get 2 bonus feats and supreme beings  get 1 feat + racial feat of their choice (human supreme beings get 2 feats + 1 racial feat).

Laughing Hyena: You can go for bone weapon any kind (even a sword, I use skyrim based logic here :P).

Laughing Hyena

Oh goodie! Then one bone maul and one bone warpick please!! ^_^

euanthe

Hi - to check,  would the auto-maximum for 'weaponmaster'apply to things like the damage from Eldritch Knight 'Booming Blade'cantrip, Paladin 'smite' and so on?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: euanthe on August 05, 2019, 03:38:47 AM
Hi - to check,  would the auto-maximum for 'weaponmaster'apply to things like the damage from Eldritch Knight 'Booming Blade'cantrip, Paladin 'smite' and so on?

It would apply to everything, anything what is done with the weapon is maximified. Expect on crit you need roll everything as normal.

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 04, 2019, 11:39:18 PM

To all: As reminder you get bonus feat in 1st level by default, humans get 2 bonus feats and supreme beings  get 1 feat + racial feat of their choice (human supreme beings get 2 feats + 1 racial feat).

Wait, I don't think that math adds up.

Wouldn't humans get 3 feats and 1 racial feat than?

Zaer Darkwail

Base: all get 1 feat, humans get 2 feats
Supreme beings: same as base but +1 racial feat

How it would be 3 feats + racial for supreme being humans?

SilkenVenom

The way you worded it made it sound like this:

Everyone: 1 feat by default
Humans: 2 feats by default
Supreme being: 1 feat + 1 racial feat

So Human supreme being would be 2 feats + 1 feat + 1 racial feat = 3 feats + 1 racial feat

That's why I got confused

Pink Professional

I believe Z specifically meant Human Variants gain access to a second feat, whereas any Non-Human gets a free feat.

SilkenVenom

I understand that now. It was just the way it was worded was a bit confusing and awkward.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: SilkenVenom on August 05, 2019, 08:49:25 AM
I understand that now. It was just the way it was worded was a bit confusing and awkward.

Yeah, my bad explaining it confusing manner :P. But Pink Professional got what I meant.

NotoriusBEN

Thanks for the clarification on skills, Zaer.
I'll just put double proficiency down for the skills (ultimately a +4 prof bonus to those skills at 3rd level) I would have normally chosen.

I'm not taking advantage or take 10/15 on them through the dark blessing. Using the word expertise has its own meaning in dnd I forgot about as well.

I think for unbridled mind:
-int, wis, cha abilities able to push to 24
-double proficiency for int, wis, cha saves
-all tools and languages
-all int, wis, cha skills being proficient, with chosen skills being double proficiency
-double spell slots

Is supremely powerful for a dark blessing, even with the drawbacks of zero physical proficiency.

I'm going to limit the blessing on myself so that if others want to be caster / intellectual types, they won't be overshadowed so hard by me, or feel they must also take unrivaled mind to keep up with me in the game.

I'll update and finish my character when I get off work.

SilkenVenom

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on August 05, 2019, 09:18:32 AM

I'm going to limit the blessing on myself so that if others want to be caster / intellectual types, they won't be overshadowed so hard by me, or feel they must also take unrivaled mind to keep up with me in the game.

You're probably going to overshadow the entire party no matter what. Why even bother with everyone else if you can just chain cast a dozen finger of death's and fireballs and wipe out entire groups solo? XD

Doubling the spell slots alone is actually insanely powerful and probably could have been a blessing on its own. The rest of it is just icing on that cake. Right now, I honestly think my character is painfully average in comparison to everyone else so far, but I'm not sure what else I could do for it.

Pink Professional

I wouldn't worry too much about being OP. That's kind of the point. Guan Buhan is a walking murder machine at the moment, able to One-shot a whole lot of stuff already.

NotoriusBEN

Its why I am also choosing spells with utility over raw damage output.
I have eldritch blast, and dissonent whispers, but I'm looking for spells that let me communicate with my minions in ways that are just about impossible to detect or mess with the minds of do gooders and heroes. Combat and muscle is definitely something I will let someone have the spot light.

And dont sell yourself short, either. You are a paladin and the only character so far with healing potential as well as a portable base for the bad guys.
You picking the dark domain was what let me pick unrivaled mind.