Darkbringers: Isekai Adventure (5th DnD rulesystem, some homebrew)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, August 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on August 03, 2019, 07:19:20 PM
Im kind of a bit uncertain on which to pick. Also, Im trying to think up ways for my guy to just hit a touch harder. I mean beyond the Dark Masteries.

Well, for barbarian your archetype chosen in 3th level should be first where examine where to get most 'smash' done. I would say path of berserker is good if go for 2h (greatsword or great axe) and use bonus action granted by frenzy to do additional attacks (as dual wielding is wasted for berserker). Also later on get able do reaction counters on those who hit and do dmg to you in melee. However path of zealot makes every first attack do 1d6+your level in dmg (divine or necrotic) and later on get able improve others damage performance by shouting in 10th level. Also Rage Beyond Death is damn badass move to pull.

Other paths focus either defense or utility. Otherwise great way is to get great weapon feat to add raw dmg while see your hit chance with chosen weapon is decent.

Now as regards as warlock; you could go for hex warrior and able channel smites in melee for additional melee dmg. Go even pact of the blade to get self-summoned weapon so you would never be without your chosen weapon. Besides that see which patron would offer Haste spell as warlock spell (from patron granted spell list). It would be great boon able self-buff yourself but the smite spell list from hexblade patron is pretty good (considering you recover spells in short rest and you always scale spells up max level where you can cast them). Besides that some melee cantrips can be useful to use (even if later on get extra attack the cantrips provide AoE or elemental dmg as well).

Another approach what I would use is to take bard and go college of valor. Because in 14th level can cast cantrip while doing melee attacks and so you could go full routine of attacks and then use melee weapon cantrip to do additional attack (so do weapon dmg + cantrip dmg). Plus bard can learn haste and have other useful self-buff spells.

NotoriusBEN

Going Barbarian and warlock, I can see why you are angling that way. Going for warlock5 you get eldritch smite.
I think you are going to be a juggernaut and you don't know it yet, as it stands.

choosing dark blessings,

Supreme being gives you more stats and being orcish and fiendish means you can begin gathering an army of orcs much easier.
Power Up, I mean, you hit hard now, and with a DBZ build up I see things just watermelon 'sploding when you hit them
Weapon Master, builds on your chosen weapon for being killy without the immediate drawback Power Up gives you.

I don't know if you are using metal, but your character sheet said you use a giant's femur for a weapon, since you are a barbarian, Steelbane would make you much more tanky
Legendary also seems to be another way to capitalize on the sheer physical power you have instead of Supreme Being.

Since you are using warlock, I'd stay away from Unrivaled Might.

You got some good options for being seriously killy and being a physical monster. I guess the question is, do you want to pump up warlock to 5 or build barbarian and warlock up together?
I suppose I should read the isakai cheat section more thoroughly. Ok, I see what it is now, and what I need to do for my own character.

SilkenVenom

The lack of getting secondary class proficiencies is really killing the idea I was working on. Might have to try something different.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on August 03, 2019, 07:50:12 PM
Going Barbarian and warlock, I can see why you are angling that way. Going for warlock5 you get eldritch smite.
I think you are going to be a juggernaut and you don't know it yet, as it stands.

choosing dark blessings,

Supreme being gives you more stats and being orcish and fiendish means you can begin gathering an army of orcs much easier.
Power Up, I mean, you hit hard now, and with a DBZ build up I see things just watermelon 'sploding when you hit them
Weapon Master, builds on your chosen weapon for being killy without the immediate drawback Power Up gives you.

I don't know if you are using metal, but your character sheet said you use a giant's femur for a weapon, since you are a barbarian, Steelbane would make you much more tanky
Legendary also seems to be another way to capitalize on the sheer physical power you have instead of Supreme Being.

Since you are using warlock, I'd stay away from Unrivaled Might.

You got some good options for being seriously killy and being a physical monster. I guess the question is, do you want to pump up warlock to 5 or build barbarian and warlock up together?
I suppose I should read the isakai cheat section more thoroughly. Ok, I see what it is now, and what I need to do for my own character.

Ironically I never saw Eldritch Smite in my PHB. But in either case Pact of the Blade has more potential. I was initially thinking to combine rogue and barbarian for impressive arrays of advantage exploiting. But then I saw the idea of Warlocks buffing combined with Barbaric Rage.

But yes I did consider the Steelbane Divine Blessing since using a giants carved femur as a great club sounds more iconic. Im iffy though with the whole Artifact. But Legendary could be a nice thing.

NotoriusBEN

Yea, Eldritch Smite is in Xanathar's Guide and is a Pact of the Blade invocation.
--Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock the target prone if it is Huge or smaller.

Zaer has these new dual classing rules, so I don't know how powerful of a spell slot would be used, but at lvl5 warlock, thats a 3rd level spell slot so you would do 4d8 force damage on top of your other damage.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on August 03, 2019, 09:34:01 PM
Yea, Eldritch Smite is in Xanathar's Guide and is a Pact of the Blade invocation.
--Once per turn when you hit a creature with your pact weapon, you can expend a warlock spell slot to deal an extra 1d8 force damage to the target, plus another 1d8 per level of the spell slot, and you can knock the target prone if it is Huge or smaller.

Zaer has these new dual classing rules, so I don't know how powerful of a spell slot would be used, but at lvl5 warlock, thats a 3rd level spell slot so you would do 4d8 force damage on top of your other damage.

Also was considering say Barbarian / Paladin or Cleric for some measure of smiting ability. Kind of like a dark twist on an Avatar (aka Ultima). Roleplaying wise Samuel would be roleplaying the reincarnation of an orcish god, Maybe even championing the dead god, Arashnu

NotoriusBEN

Mythweavers logged me out so i lost all my progress on my character sheet...

Just so I am clear in reading the isekai rules, @zaer:

I take Warlock for my Main Class, I get everything associated with that up to 3rd level.
So 2 Warlock Cantrips and 4 Warlock spells (1 and 2 level)
Pact of Tome gets me (3 more cantrips of any class)
Book of Ancient Secrets Invocation gets me 2 ritual spells and ritual casting
Many Faces Invocation gets me freebie Disguise Self

So for my isekai dual class pick, I choose Sorcerer.
No tools to get -BUT-
I get all the class features and spells?
That means Shadow Origins (Xanathar Book) which gives 120ft Darkvision and Strength of the Grave
it also means 4 sorcerer cantrips as well as 2 sorcerer 1st level spells and two 1st level spell slots

I just want to make sure I have it right because this all adds up to:
9 cantrips, 4 warlock spells, 2 sorcerer spells, 2 ritual spells and Disguise Self
as well as 2 warlock 2nd spell slots and 2 sorcerer 1st spells slots for a total of 4 spell slots

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on August 04, 2019, 02:54:44 AM
Mythweavers logged me out so i lost all my progress on my character sheet...

Just so I am clear in reading the isekai rules, @zaer:

That's correct so far. You get all class features in 1st level. No proficiency besides tool based. Later tier rank ups you get able pick more class features and proficiency or choose progress your spellcasting. If you choose spellcasting you do not get sub features (feats) or proficiency with second class stuff.

Anyways edited power up to just confirm what I intent to go with it (and yes, that dark blessing was inspired by DBZ scenes where heroes shout for entire episodes to power up and then go serious whammy stuff mode). If you have means to remove exhaustion stacks you can do so multiple times rapidly.

Miroque

Damn you Zaer, Im way too submissive to get into Evil overlord phase.. Damn you!

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Miroque on August 04, 2019, 06:13:47 AM
Damn you Zaer, Im way too submissive to get into Evil overlord phase.. Damn you!

Villains do not need be dominant; you could be villain who plays role as 'damsel in distress' as means to seduce the good guys (and corrupt them with dark seduction).

Or alternatively considering if most villains go dominant and sort hentai villain route, you could be my co-GM to help run all damsels they go ravage upon ;). Or run a one NPC for me (if not want run multiple roles).

Miroque

@Zaer: hmm... do I have the time ? :) and I would really like to play...

SilkenVenom

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on August 04, 2019, 05:34:26 AM
That's correct so far. You get all class features in 1st level. No proficiency besides tool based. Later tier rank ups you get able pick more class features and proficiency or choose progress your spellcasting. If you choose spellcasting you do not get sub features (feats) or proficiency with second class stuff.

Clarification please:

If you choose to advance spellcasting at Tier 2, does that mean you become a level 5 caster and gain all the spells known/spell slots/spells per day you normally would up to that point? Or is it more limited?

Also, are you allowing Oathbreaker Paladins and, if so, will they be allowed to have custom Oaths of a more villainous variety to make up for the loss of the regular ones?

Pink Professional

Isengrad

Quote from: Miroque on August 04, 2019, 06:13:47 AM

There is also always the possibility of filling out a companion role if you want to design your character with someone else, could have known each other in real life and get made into complimenting creatures here. Nice evil Duo.

On a side note, I've been lurking for awhile and would love to throw my hat in, I have a few concepts i'm batting around so ill try to get one situated and get a profile posted.

original artwork by karabiner

Laughing Hyena

Found the Path of the Zealot. My goodness that is a tanky son of a bitch. Gives me the idea of playing a Barbarian/Paladin that wears the death shrouds of the fallen god and kills with both necrotic and radiant fury.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Miroque on August 04, 2019, 07:38:38 AM
@Zaer: hmm... do I have the time ? :) and I would really like to play...

Ofc you got time :). I do not demand much from you as co-GM (just reply players posts with the NPC's). Or run one NPC which I got in mind; a life domain cleric which has dark blessing able grant benefits of long rest during a short rest with caveat she must have sex with a person (she herself also benefits from doing this by getting some spell slots recovered but not full long rest, drawback being she is constantly in POS 1 and folks have advantage on charisma save to increase her POS but in return she is immune to mind break condittion at least). She is not isekai summoned champion but more native evil side aligned dark priestess.

Or as I suggested your villain who is submissive and uses herself as 'bait' for lesser heroes to rescue her from monsters (her own minions or some other villains minions) and then seducing the lesser heroes have sex with her and then make them subtly slaves to her with dark seduction (which also corrupts them rapidly in month to side of evil) and then as their slave acts as 'villain alike' then new lesser heroes come defeat tyrant and rescue 'you' again and then cycle would repeat until you find powerful enough hero who does not go down.

Overall your just dark seductress which leads good guys to dark/evil paths, encourage them do insidious things to other women as well.

Quote from: SilkenVenom on August 04, 2019, 08:47:30 AM
Clarification please:

If you choose to advance spellcasting at Tier 2, does that mean you become a level 5 caster and gain all the spells known/spell slots/spells per day you normally would up to that point? Or is it more limited?

Also, are you allowing Oathbreaker Paladins and, if so, will they be allowed to have custom Oaths of a more villainous variety to make up for the loss of the regular ones?

Yes, if you during tier 2 upgrade choose progress spellcasting you get spellcasting as if your in 5th level in the said class. Only limit is that the other class cannot surpass your main class (if so happens then your progress halts to same level as your main class but when main class levels up your other class does as well until it reaches present tier limit). Training takes 8 hours a day, you got 16 hours to do what you want (it can include adventuring or carrying out schemes). Besides spell progression any other progressive abilities improve (like inspiration dice as a bard example goes up along with spellcasting as well or spells and sneak attacks as arcane scoundrel).

Also I allow oathbreaker paladin which has more villainous oaths. Albeit point of oathbreaker paladin is that they do not have oaths at all; carrying out their own designs and goals as they desire without any higher command or oaths to anyone besides their own ambitions. In sense if you want carry out certain villain thematics you can do so by free will than by oaths as oathbreaker.

Quote from: Pink Professional on August 04, 2019, 09:11:10 AM
For clarification, is the Revised Ranger allowed or not?

It is allowed. I myself view that as mandatory change as a GM than as house rule.

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on August 04, 2019, 10:04:36 AM
Found the Path of the Zealot. My goodness that is a tanky son of a bitch. Gives me the idea of playing a Barbarian/Paladin that wears the death shrouds of the fallen god and kills with both necrotic and radiant fury.

Barbarian|Paladin would be interesting combo, and fitting as well. Path of Zealot is indeed 'divine fury incarnate (and tanky as well) and paladin would provide smites and such to fuel melee attacks even further (to have big as possible smashing power). Also paladin would improve tanky side as well (self-buffs and healing).

Laughing Hyena

There are so many fucking good combos right now that now Im overwhelmed by choices. ^_^ On one hand barbarian zealot paladin of conquest or vengeance just sounds fucking awesome. Terrifying enemies into being frozen with fear then smacking them into paste with unyielding... zeal. Or making an example out of a female knight. But on the other hand I could delve into Warlock with Pact Blade with the Paladin of Conquest class as well. Eldritch Smite coupled with those wonderful fear effects equals fun.

Ohhhh... that's so cool!

euanthe

Love the idea, I will definitely make a character!

I’ve not done much playing in 5th ed - though I’ve played 3rd, 3.5th, 4th ed and Pathfinder quite extensively. Would it be fair to assume that Fighter would be a straightforward way to go? Perhaps fighter-sorcerer... thinking of a high-class Katana maiden... either a repressed lesbian ( due to family pressure), or possibly one who becomes a Futanari in the Isekai transfer?

Any thoughts or views on that?

Pink Professional

If I understand the system correctly, it is important to pick a Secondary Class that you don't need everything for. Dipping into the Paladin for example is scary, because you want to pick up the powerful feats like Smite and Subclass features, but you also want things like your spells, and Lay on Hands pool.

Makes for fascinating decisions at least.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on August 04, 2019, 10:47:03 AM
There are so many fucking good combos right now that now Im overwhelmed by choices. ^_^ On one hand barbarian zealot paladin of conquest or vengeance just sounds fucking awesome. Terrifying enemies into being frozen with fear then smacking them into paste with unyielding... zeal. Or making an example out of a female knight. But on the other hand I could delve into Warlock with Pact Blade with the Paladin of Conquest class as well. Eldritch Smite coupled with those wonderful fear effects equals fun.

Ohhhh... that's so cool!

Glad you like it :). This dual classing method I fell in love with in a game in Rpol and I found it brilliant way to 'multiclass' compared to norm where you had to juggle do you take 1-4 levels in other classes or thinking take max 6 for sake of class feature and so on. This method makes chars long run more powerful but same time they do not get everything (plus the time need to train and spend gold for said training is also suitable demand).

Also I intent game run like a anime series so there is other anime elements in the game besides the pics on the chars :). So prepare deal with anime (and hentai) logic.

As note on backgrounds; dying in RL is often involved in isekai genre but it's not always. So you can decide did your RL self die or not before transported over to isekai world.

Quote from: Pink Professional on August 04, 2019, 10:56:05 AM
If I understand the system correctly, it is important to pick a Secondary Class that you don't need everything for. Dipping into the Paladin for example is scary, because you want to pick up the powerful feats like Smite and Subclass features, but you also want things like your spells, and Lay on Hands pool.

Makes for fascinating decisions at least.

Indeed, classes which have no spellcasting would be easy picks in sense you do not need deal with progressing spellcasting levels. However any progressive feature (like fighter's extra attacks) are tied to progression choice. You could example pick fighter and take all archetype benefits and adrenaline rushes and proficiency etc. But you can only do one melee attack unless you take extra attack sub feature and then later on progression pick able to do more than two attacks (there fighter truly differs from other martial classes in able to do 4 melee attacks as standard action). But some class features which depend on having level (like path of zealot doing 1d6+level radiant or necrotic dmg on first target) you use main class levels. Same goes for if you have attack cantrips while caster is other class; your main class is 5th level (let's say rogue) and your 1st level wizard in other job. However cantrip does dmg as if your 5th level wizard.

So abilities which indicate a class level where things progress (or where class level matters how potent some effect is), you use main class level measure it than tier rank indicated level.

As note; classes which get spellcasting after 1st level (like scoundrel, ranger etc), you pick them through subfeature in taking archetype, like taking archetype which grants casting ability you get initial casting for free like arcane scoundrel and eldricth knight. Ranger's case is more picking progression choice. You can play ranger without any spellcasting features though if so desire.

Pink Professional

Quote from: euanthe on August 04, 2019, 10:48:22 AM
Love the idea, I will definitely make a character!

I’ve not done much playing in 5th ed - though I’ve played 3rd, 3.5th, 4th ed and Pathfinder quite extensively. Would it be fair to assume that Fighter would be a straightforward way to go? Perhaps fighter-sorcerer... thinking of a high-class Katana maiden... either a repressed lesbian ( due to family pressure), or possibly one who becomes a Futanari in the Isekai transfer?

Any thoughts or views on that?

Fighter is probably the most friendly 5e class, and Sorcerer is certainly a reasonable way to take it since you can pretty happily focus on getting more spells and such.

QuoteIndeed, classes which have no spellcasting would be easy picks in sense you do not need deal with progressing spellcasting levels. However any progressive feature (like fighter's extra attacks) are tied to progression choice. You could example pick fighter and take all archetype benefits and adrenaline rushes and proficiency etc. But you can only do one melee attack unless you take extra attack sub feature and then later on progression pick able to do more than two attacks (there fighter truly differs from other martial classes in able to do 4 melee attacks as standard action). But some class features which depend on having level (like path of zealot doing 1d6+level radiant or necrotic dmg on first target) you use main class levels. Same goes for if you have attack cantrips while caster is other class; your main class is 5th level (let's say rogue) and your 1st level wizard in other job. However cantrip does dmg as if your 5th level wizard.

So abilities which indicate a class level where things progress (or where class level matters how potent some effect is), you use main class level measure it than tier rank indicated level.

As note; classes which get spellcasting after 1st level (like scoundrel, ranger etc), you pick them through subfeature in taking archetype, like taking archetype which grants casting ability you get initial casting for free like arcane scoundrel and eldricth knight. Ranger's case is more picking progression choice. You can play ranger without any spellcasting features though if so desire.

I pretty much intend to just go for a Spell-less Ranger. Lots of extra attack Subclass options and feats that just make her more of a World-Beater.

As a warning Zaer, I'll very likely be picking up an Artefact and leaving you to choose the effect. I'm curious what you throw the Warrior Queen's way (Who is my current frontrunner atm, The Shadowmonk is missing something atm, and I'll maybe tinker with him again later.)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Pink Professional on August 04, 2019, 11:25:04 AM
As a warning Zaer, I'll very likely be picking up an Artefact and leaving you to choose the effect. I'm curious what you throw the Warrior Queen's way (Who is my current frontrunner atm, The Shadowmonk is missing something atm, and I'll maybe tinker with him again later.)

Well, I need know is your desired artifact a armor, weapon, amulet or what not? So I know then what to pick for your char then.

Pink Professional

Character is finished. I'd like either some Heavy Armour, a Halberd (Since I'm a Weaponmaster) or something else.

Surprise me. I'm all in on having the Shattered God give her something unique and cool.

(Edit: Character is finished, and sheet is up for that matter.)

NotoriusBEN

I have a much better grasp for zaer is looking for with his dual class features, and I'm liking it a lot.

Again, im canning pickles and green beans, but I will for sure have a character up and running.
For the other players, I'm going GOO warlock and taking minion master. I'm going to try creating a spy ring and push to be a cantrip monkey with either sorc or wiz. With all my willing minions, I can use telepathy to give minion orders and Gaze of Two Minds to look thru expendable minion eyes and get what info I want without having to copy or extricate it. Get them placed in servant roles or in middle management positions within the good team. Couple that with friends or charm person and many faces invocation and I think I could be a beastly social player.

Sorc or wiz spellcasting then shores up my difficiency in spell slots, probably sorc because of charisma casting, but I'll see what I can do inside the boundaries of zaer's rules.

If zaer wants, ive basically given him an in world way of giving us quests :p

Laughing Hyena

Im finished with tweaking Shatterspine but if anyone spots any glaring issues or can see improvements to him to make him put the fear of dead gods into folks or help him smash skulls and booty better, (aka try and go paladin/warlock or some other combination of cool that keeps the theme, or make this paladin/barbarian better) please don't hesitate to talk to me about it. I can only get better if Im told these things.

PS - I realize that Greatclubs neither count as Heavy nor are they suitable with a shield. But I am sticking with the theme rather than the schematics. A Raging Paladin wielding the bones of a giant is awesome imagery.