Seeking Pathfinder 1E or D&D 5E

Started by Mr L, October 02, 2020, 12:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr L

Hello folks! You've got a player here who hasn't been on the player's side of the screen for awhile, and who is itching to get back into it. I'm not terribly fussy with the campaign used, if a published adventure or homebrew with a few exceptions. On the Pathfinder side: No Curse of the Crimson Throne, Jade Regent, or Tyrant's Grasp. 5E just has Storm King's Thunder. I've tried GMing for those adventures, so I know the premise of them, and I don't know how well I'd do with that knowledge, even if I'm great with player vs character knowledge.

I'm even willing to play multiple characters if the need arises. I've played up to lvl 7 in a 1v1 scemario with 4 PCs, so I'm no stranger to it ;D Ideal party in this situation would be the traditional 4, big stupid fighter, caster, healer, sneaker.

Obviously if others are interested in playing, it'll be up to the GM how many people they're comfy with.
O/Os | A/As | | My Ideas I have taken the Oath of the Drake

Vergil Tanner

I'm looking for a Play by Post PF1e game too, so...if there's a GM looking for a group... >.>
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Mr L

So small update, i realized after posting that I feel too far out of touch with 5E atm to play effectively, considering what books I do have are packed up atm lol.

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm at least cool with smut in the story, so long as it isn't the focus. Crimson Throne where every encounter ended in sex or orgies would just be weird lol

Maj

If you'd have me, I'd love to join a Pathfinder game as well! I've never done any of the published adventures (only homebrew campaigns). I feel the same about the level of smut - I'm not usually looking for that in my group tabletop games but if it happens, hey, sure!
Ons / Offs ★ Current Rotation: Havukruunu - Uinuos Syömein Sota ★ Requests [Coming Soon!]

Callie Del Noire

Also looking..one of my Pf 2 games died and I’m feeling nostalgic

Mr L

Vergil Tanner

I would like the game to be in Golarion. I have a couple of ideas I could go with! I'm leaning towards a devotee of Callistria, possibly a Divine Hunter Hunter, or maybe a Cavalier that I really wanna play xD

I do want to avoid starting at level 1, though. I feel too squishy at level 1 xD

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Mr L

I'm kind of leaning to either a switch hitting hunter type character, a hospitaler paladin, or a magus of some kind.

A bit over the board, I know lol

Vergil Tanner

Well, I'm thinking of either a Cavalier or a Hunter because then I can ride a Giant Wasp. And that's just cool. xD Suboptimal, maybe, but cool nonetheless xD

Callie Del Noire

Still want to do some variety off Enchanting Courtesan or one of my other PFS builds

Nicolae

I'm kicking around the idea of running a PF1 homebrew game here, though it would be in a homebrew setting (with player collaboration for things they definitely want/don't want), not in Golarion. If anyone is interested, I'd want to know a few things about what people might be looking for.

1. Would starting at level 3 work for everyone?
2. Would everyone be alright with a relatively gritty, low magic setting (closer to the level of magic in ASOIAF, The Witcher setting, or TLoLL than that of the Forgotten Realms or Golarion)? (For example, "At this point in history, magic is uncommon enough that it is sought out by rulers to maintain their power. Mages can easily find lucrative work for kings and noble lords, though commoners are highly superstitious and view arcane magic with fear and distrust.")
3. Would everyone be alright playing a human and half-elf focused campaign, with dwarves, elves, and halflings present but primarily on the sidelines (more like The Witcher setting than the standard DnD/PF campaign settings)?

I'm starting with a few ideas and designing a new setting specifically for playing here on E, so I'm open to ideas and adapting to people's preferences (at least somewhat).
O/O   Ideas

Vergil Tanner

1) I prefer starting at level 3, personally

2) I'd be ok with that, if the parameters were properly defined and the game was balanced accordingly. Some higher CR creatures kind of require you to have access to magic to have a hope in hell of beating them xD

3) I don't mind that kind of focus, as long as Alternate Racial Traits are still open. Would Drow fall under "Elf Focused?"

What Gods would be available, what classes would be available and would some of the weirder ideas be ok? EG, my wasp-rider of Calistria? xD

Nicolae

With regards to #2, an arcane spellcaster would be treated with suspicion or fear by the commonfolk and might have the attention of various organizations wanting to recruit them. Magic items wouldn't be as common as they are in the Forgotten Realms, but I wouldn't make them so rare that it was game breaking. Just that there wouldn't be "magic item shops" where you could simply go buy an enchanted sword the same way you would a regular sword.

For #3, I hadn't considered what types of elves there would be in the setting other than the two types from The Witcher setting ("Forest elves" and "High elves", with most humans only knowing about the more common forest elves). If there were drow, I don't think I'd want a large Forgotten Realms-style Underdark with the drow living in an ecosystem essentially powered by magic, and I'd lean toward not including drow in this setting altogether.

I haven't decided on a pantheon yet, and I think I'd be up for any of the core classes except for Bard and Monk, most of the base classes, and several of the hybrid classes. Weirder characters, like the one you mentioned, would probably not fit in the setting I have in mind.
O/O   Ideas

Vergil Tanner

What about divine casters?

Hrm. So basically human, elf, half elf or slightly different elf would be what we're limited to, with a severe limitation in not only the classes, but the concepts themselves? Hrm. That might prove to be a hard sell for me personally, because I like my slightly more outlandish character concepts. I'd have to look at specifically what the setting was like and what you'd allow and disallow, but it's starting to sound more and more like a game I'd probably want to pass on, I'm afraid. I have so many weird ideas in my head that I wanna try, of varying degrees of oddness, but if you're pretty firm on "Standard Builds Only," it's likely not gonna be my kind of game, I'm afraid. If you post up the seeking I'll have a look at it and see if anything tickles my fancy, buuuut from the sounds of it, I'd not be allowed to play any "odd" characters and that's half the fun for me xD

Vergil Tanner

Question...would a mounted archer be at all appropriate for your campaign? I have an idea for a mounted archer that's been bouncing around in my head for a while, so I might give it a shot if it's something you don't mind existing...although that does depend on us not always going into tight corridors and enclosed rooms where I can't use my mount xD

Nicolae

Divine casters, depending on what they do and where their power comes from, could be more accepted by the commonfolk.

Archers mounted on horseback would be absolutely fine. Other mounts could work, depending on what they were.
O/O   Ideas

Vergil Tanner

Hrm. Three questions, then.

-- Would you allow the use of an Orc Hornbow (though it might be reskinned as something else)?
-- What mounts would be suitable for a Half Elf? Do Elves in your setting primarily use horses, or do they use things like Elk?
-- Would you be using Elephant In The Room? Martials get fucked over hard by unnecessary feat taxes (I'm looking at you, Point Blank Shot), so I love using EITR to make them a bit more bearable. xD

Obviously I'd need to see the different types of Elf you have in mind, the pantheon, the story, the world and the character creation rules (I just cannot do 15 point buy, I hate it so much xD ) before i make a call, but I am teeeeentatively interested :P

Mr L

Lvl 3 would be fine.
I like the idea of playing a magus who tries to be subtle about his magic, maybe because he fucked with the wrong people once.
I think a half elf or human could work.

Of course, I'm also still liking the hunter who is good far away and up close, though probably less focused on that if there'd be a focused archer.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm...building two wards a EC would be good on the subtle magic bit

pdragon

Would you be willing to accept one more player?
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Nicolae

@Vergil Tanner: Orc hornbow, reskinned as something else? Sure.
Forest elves in the setting usually wouldn't use mounts and would be most similar to wood elves in the Forgotten Realms (no need or use for mounts in the forest), similar to the Scoia'tael in The Witcher setting. Half-elves would almost exclusively use horses, and anyone riding around on an elk would draw a great deal of attention and finding a stable willing to house them would be difficult because they're still very much wild animals. But it's certainly physically possible to have an elk mount.
EITR? Sure thing.

@Mr L: Either of those could work.

@Callie Del Noire: That could definitely work.

@pdragon: I could take four or five players, sure. Probably not more, though.
O/O   Ideas

pdragon

So if holy casters are more openly accepted in the world, do clerics/paladins use their magic more openly in the world? Also how would a divine caster fit into the setting? Are they also sought out the same way arcane casters are? Do churches have sizable power? etc. etc.
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Nicolae on November 09, 2020, 04:41:43 PM
@Vergil Tanner: Orc hornbow, reskinned as something else? Sure.

That makes my possible archer build a lot more viable ^_^

Quote from: Nicolae on November 09, 2020, 04:41:43 PMForest elves in the setting usually wouldn't use mounts and would be most similar to wood elves in the Forgotten Realms (no need or use for mounts in the forest), similar to the Scoia'tael in The Witcher setting.

I've never understood that, personally. Light cavalry can be used in woodland, especially if you're using a fantastical equivalent that is used to running through the woods like an Elk or a Stag. Like the Dragon Age elves, who have their own force of scout cavalry.
So what are the other elves? You mentioned there would be two types of elves, and Half-Elves. What is the other type of Elf? City Elves?

Quote from: Nicolae on November 09, 2020, 04:41:43 PMHalf-elves would almost exclusively use horses, and anyone riding around on an elk would draw a great deal of attention and finding a stable willing to house them would be difficult because they're still very much wild animals. But it's certainly physically possible to have an elk mount.

Truuuue, but being animal companions, you'd imagine they'd be much better behaved than a standard wild animal xD I just want to have something unique about the character, if that makes sense. xD Every mounted character will take a horse! I like my weird ideas, in case you couldn't tell xD

Quote from: Nicolae on November 09, 2020, 04:41:43 PMEITR? Sure thing.

Oh My God, thank you xD
*Takes Point Blank Shot behind the bushes and shoots it*

So, what would the Chargen rules be? Point Buy, Rolled? How many Traits? Etc etc. ^_^

Mr L

Vergil Tanner

It's an optional third party ruleset for Pathfinder that removes a lot of the "Feat Taxes" that classes - particularly Martial classes - suffer in pathfinder. You know the ones, the ones that nobody ever really uses past level 3 but they can't get rid of because they're prereqs. Things like Point Blank Shot being necessary for ANY archer simply because it's a Prereq to so many feats. Or how EVERY Rogue picks up Weapon Finesse at level 1, to the point where they gave it to Unchained Rogue for free.

Elephant In The Room

It makes Martials much better at keeping up with Casters, and removes some of the hassle of building a "Non optimal" build by removing, editing and combining certain feats. In my experience, it doesn't make Martials overpowered; rather, it makes them able to stay relevant for longer. After playing a couple of games with it, I've resolved to use it in every game I ever run of PF1e xD

Mr L

I like that! Gotta remember to keep it around.

Vergil Tanner

Oh, it is a wonderful piece of 3PP. I love it to pieces, especially when I'm playing an archer xD

I'd be playing a Ranger with a Giant Owl companion if I thought the GM would be ok with me riding a flying owl, but for now I'll stick to horses xD

Mr L

To be fair, EitR is great for more core Pathfinder. I'm a bigger fan still of Spheres of Might and Power. Gives amazing customization options that do so well in not making characters op, but also letting their build come online faster. A 1st lvl character could start out with effectively PBS, PS, RS, and still have the actual first lvl feat to pick.

Vergil Tanner

I've been playing around with Spheres of Might in another game. I can definitely see the appeal, though I personally prefer core over Spheres. But that's only because Spheres takes away a lot of what some of my favourite classes excel at xD

Mr L

That's fair, there are parts of core I like better and there's parts I like spheres better (I think spheres can finally make a competent throwing expert that doesn't just suck). I haven't had much of a chance to play with spheres as much, and I'm sad for it lol

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I can definitely see the appeal of Spheres. I'm dabbling with an Unchained Monk who's dipping into the Boxing and Open Hand Spheres for some more combat options xD

Mr L

Oh yeah, unarmed is so much nicer with spheres too. I have an archetype armiger (weapon specializer class, archetype gives her the Warp sphere early on) who was fun to build and plan for, but idk if she'll get much play.

Vergil Tanner

Funnily enough, ranged isn't that much better in Spheres. Not the way I play my archers, anyway xD Mounted combat is also kinda meh in Spheres. Or at least, compared to mounted in Core. xD

Mr L

I haven't looked at a ton of options between the two. Oh my character is trying to be a decent tripper with a reach weapon to be able to cause lots of bleed damage. She doesn't even mean to make them bleed lol it's all accidental

Mr L

Still looking for a game, little more familiar with 5E again.

Mr L

Bump, still interested in either system

Mr L

Bumping this because still intereseted!

Mr L

Bumping out of desire to play something with a Staff Magus in Pathfinder or a Bladesinger in 5e!

Blinkin

Might there be room for one more?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Mr L

I don't have a group at all, but you're more than welcome to stay and see if a group forms or comes along!

Blinkin

Thanks. Who knows, GM's have appeared before when I make an appearance. lol I'm afraid that I would make a horrible GM though. I use to be decent in my younger days, but we're talking AD&D and Early editions of GURPS. The first time that I tried to run Pathfinder... well, crash and burned would be really, really generous.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Mr L

I tried running for a discord group, but drama in that channel killed the game before they hit lvl 2.

Blinkin

Yeah, drama can be a game killer. I wish that I had enough time to do actual live play these days, but if I get half an hour at any given time, I'm doing really well.

You know, I can count on one finger the number of times that my character has leveled in an on-line game? It was a Way Of The Wicked path and the player turn over was astounding, but the character did reach level 2. It's one of the reasons why I prefer to start play above level 1 these days. Nothing against 1st level, I just would like to see more than city guardsmen, kobalts and goblins. ;)

Of course, I should give up the idea of a purely melee character and do what everyone else does; take a magic class as primary and multiclass. I've never been a min/maxer anyway.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.