[Dragonsong] High Fantasy Adventure - Dragons & Riders - (Closed)

Started by Wispyr, July 05, 2016, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Lindrea on July 09, 2016, 12:06:31 PM
So, question about "tagging."  How do I do that?  Just make sure they're on the "To" list when I submit my character?

Yep.

Wispyr

Quote from: Wispyr
Please add a subject line to your sheet submissions that read Dragonsong - Character name here.
Please, please, please, please. This makes my life literally 10 times easier.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Thorne

This .. might come up. Occasionally.

Can the link be effected by things like drugs or sufficient quantities of strong drink? Dakiiri generally spends a fair amount of time weaving-drunk - if that's likely to make the link with her dragon fuzzy, I'd like to know about it (and, semi-related... can you get a dragon drunk? The last time I ran one, it never came up, despite the number of casks the party had to buy her every time she had to bite something...).

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 09, 2016, 12:20:13 PM
Rule #17:

Our job is to make the DM's job harder.

.... *lends Wispyr the Carp of Smiting +5*
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Thorne on July 09, 2016, 12:21:12 PM

.... *lends Wispyr the Carp of Smiting +5*

Thanks!  This will make it easier to annoy Wispyr.

Thorne

Issat before or after he whallops you with the Carp? *grin*

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Cataclysmic Archangel

Before, since I added it to my arsenal, right along side the Trout of Unholy Justice and the Swedish Fish of Merciless Spam.

Thorne

Didn't loan it to you, though. Loaned it to Wispyr. To smack us with, if needed. <.<

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Lindrea

Quote from: Thorne on July 09, 2016, 12:26:36 PM
Didn't loan it to you, though. Loaned it to Wispyr. To smack us with, if needed. <.<

Hot. >.>

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Thorne on July 09, 2016, 12:26:36 PM

It's only a loan if someone does intercept it first.

Elysian Radiance

"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Lindrea

How does magic manifest itself?  Does it just start to lash out when the person hits puberty?  Does it slowly come on as they learn more about the world?  Or do they just innately know that they can do these things?

Wispyr

Quote from: Lindrea on July 09, 2016, 12:34:41 PM
How does magic manifest itself?  Does it just start to lash out when the person hits puberty?  Does it slowly come on as they learn more about the world?  Or do they just innately know that they can do these things?
Typically speaking they learn they have aptitude somehow and then begin to either work on it themselves or seek out someone who can give them the foundation knowledge to build on.

Lindrea

Quote from: Wispyr on July 09, 2016, 12:35:47 PM
Typically speaking they learn they have aptitude somehow and then begin to either work on it themselves or seek out someone who can give them the foundation knowledge to build on.
What about someone who has a 10 Aethyr? >.>

I'm curious, because I kinda want Phi's magic, when she was a child, to spontaneously erupt from her, igniting things around her.  Kinda like Carrie.. <.<

Wispyr

Quote from: Lindrea on July 09, 2016, 12:38:24 PM
What about someone who has a 10 Aethyr? >.>

I'm curious, because I kinda want Phi's magic, when she was a child, to spontaneously erupt from her, igniting things around her.  Kinda like Carrie.. <.<
You're not born with 10 Aethyr. Well... Barring like absurd circumstances. It's something that you have built on, and mastered, refined and developed. That said something like that 'wild magic' isn't unheard of, it's just not common.

Lindrea

Quote from: Wispyr on July 09, 2016, 12:40:29 PM
You're not born with 10 Aethyr.

Ooooh!  Okay.  That makes sense. :)

QuoteWell... Barring like absurd circumstances. It's something that you have built on, and mastered, refined and developed. That said something like that 'wild magic' isn't unheard of, it's just not common.

So Phi is an anomaly then.  Huzzah!  I was thinking it'd make sense for her what with her connection to fire. >.>  Less "wild", just more uncontrolled, like a raging inferno.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Elysian Radiance on July 09, 2016, 12:34:15 PM
-steals it and shoves it down her shirt-

I was going to make a lewd reference about stealing it back, but the 'fishing it out of her shirt' joke has ruined it for me.  The pun was too great.

Rules questions... mostly about powers:

Are minors considered 'too minor' to act as attack spells?

I seem to be having a bit of trouble processing how powers would manifest for the Might characters.  Powers in general to me always make me think of something above normal, to magical levels, and so I'm having trouble pairing the two up.  Is Might something that's really not even coming into play in the powers?  Is a human with 12 Might (besides looking like Ahnold) great in a powerless match but their 'Major' is little more than throwing a LARP nerf 'fireball' at someone?

These are the things I think of and can't get by brain to shift gears.

My character, who remains nameless right now, is all battle magic, and by that I mean weapon-assisted effects.  And he's mostly Might.  I jsut can't figure out if I'm doing it wrong.

Oh, and on the Name thing... do Dragons have their own language?

Lindrea

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 09, 2016, 12:53:36 PM
I was going to make a lewd reference about stealing it back, but the 'fishing it out of her shirt' joke has ruined it for me.  The pun was too great.

Rules questions... mostly about powers:

I seem to be having a bit of trouble processing how powers would manifest for the Might characters.  Powers in general to me always make me think of something above normal, to magical levels, and so I'm having trouble pairing the two up.  Is Might something that's really not even coming into play in the powers?  Is a human with 12 Might (besides looking like Ahnold) great in a powerless match but their 'Major' is little more than throwing a LARP nerf 'fireball' at someone?

I think Wispyr or Elysian mentioned this.  They don't have to be called "spells," even though they are, they could be "techniques."  Like.. a swordsman using "Kenjutsu Secret Technique One: Whirling Blade Flower"!

Please, correct me if I've got the wrong impression here. :)

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Lindrea on July 09, 2016, 12:57:40 PM
I think Wispyr or Elysian mentioned this.  They don't have to be called "spells," even though they are, they could be "techniques."  Like.. a swordsman using "Kenjutsu Secret Technique One: Whirling Blade Flower"!

He mentioned maneuvers, which made me think of D&D 3.5... where they had 'battle magic'.  And even those used your Charisma score as a base, so in essence it did have some factoring into your force of will.

Wispyr knows I have a habit of tearing systems apart, so... yeah.  I think in analogs, as close as I can find to other game systems until I can make it all mesh.

Elysian Radiance

Quote from: Lindrea on July 09, 2016, 12:57:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U__S9l0ineQ
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Lindrea

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 09, 2016, 12:59:54 PM
He mentioned maneuvers, which made me think of D&D 3.5... where they had 'battle magic'.  And even those used your Charisma score as a base, so in essence it did have some factoring into your force of will.

Wispyr knows I have a habit of tearing systems apart, so... yeah.  I think in analogs, as close as I can find to other game systems until I can make it all mesh.

So, as I understand it, if you were attacked with magic and you had powers that were more physical, it'd be a direct contest of your Might Vs. their Aethyr.  >.>

Or vice versa.

Cataclysmic Archangel

Quote from: Lindrea on July 09, 2016, 01:14:34 PM
So, as I understand it, if you were attacked with magic and you had powers that were more physical, it'd be a direct contest of your Might Vs. their Aethyr.  >.>

Or vice versa.

In which case so far I've only come up with a single power that wasn't based on a weapon or some such (the one that's gifted between rider and dragon), so I don't know if I should simply be all Might or not.

*thuds*

Lindrea

Quote from: Arcannyx on July 09, 2016, 01:16:57 PM
In which case so far I've only come up with a single power that wasn't based on a weapon or some such (the one that's gifted between rider and dragon), so I don't know if I should simply be all Might or not.

*thuds*

I'm having trouble coming up with minor powers, hehe.  I've got two so far, but need two more. xD

Wispyr

Not at all. In the original examples I listed there was a fire based attack minor. They would just be small scope / single target / low duration / etc.

First correction, both Aethyr & Might are rated on a scale 1-10... Just a little note.

Second the powers as relating to might characters are more like magically infused techniques. So the basic idea is that a might based ability is that a mage might shoot a fireball, but a 'fighter' might have an explosive strike. A mage might have a blizzard rain, an 'archer' might make one arrow become a rain of many. The general idea is that might does not represent magical damage, but that techniques have a higher base damage then spells - might characters also have the benefit of doing things with themselves / weapons / etc. I think this may help... Ditch the idea of 'caster levels', cause I bet that's where your brain is stuck.

In D&D a fireball cast from Joe does 3d6, which hurts but when compared to Omegus the Archmagus who does 15d6 with his fireball, because he's got the caster levels to support it. Assuming their both level 15, one of those fireballs does something, the other gets eaten by DR.

In Dragonsong the fireball is more like 100 damage +1d10/Aethyr. The character with an Aethyr of 5 vrs the character with an Aethyr of 6 have very little difference.. .But a character with an Aethyr of 2 vs a character with an Aethyr of 9 are going to see some mileage variance.

Might affects weapon damage, which affects technique damage (assumably) but not the damage of the spell itself - but it's assumed that techniques typically have a higher base damage anyway. Further Might characters have the benefit of being able to successfully do things in situations when magic has been drained / etc.

There is no system and if you try to tear it apart you're going to run into issues. As mentioned in the info post: Please note for the purposes of balance we will be working to ensure martially focused characters are not entirely out shined by magically focused ones. If you want a martial focused character but dump everything into Aethyr to have uber spells... You're going to be upset when Tiny Tim of the Squires beats your face in with his wooden training sword.