News:

Main Menu

Rest in Peace, Stephen

Started by Vekseid, March 14, 2018, 12:40:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Stephen Hawking has passed away at the age of 76.

I read his book as a young child - not even a teenager. He mentioned something that struck me. I may be paraphrasing a bit:

"I thought about this as I was getting dressed. Which takes me quite awhile, so I had a long time to think."

It may be the bias of the moment, but I can't think of another line from another author that hit me quite like this.

Rest in peace, Professor Hawking.

Irvine

I was startled when I read that post and had to quickly Google to check for other sources...

Rest in peace, Stephen Hawking.
Just going with the flow.
My On's and Off's

Oreo

Farewell to a great thinker, and inspiration.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

persephone325

Oh wow...

Such a brilliant man... May he rest in peace.
This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

anubis

Brilliant man. The world has lost such an amazing person.

Rest in peace.

"Not only does God play dice, but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen" Stephen Hawking

Kaspider

Rest in peace, Hawking. Such a loss. He was a truly gifted genius.
I don't see the future. I don't worry about the past. Now's all I have.

midnightblack

Quote from: Vekseid on March 14, 2018, 12:40:12 AM
Stephen Hawking has passed away at the age of 76.

"I thought about this as I was getting dressed. Which takes me quite awhile, so I had a long time to think."

It may be the bias of the moment, but I can't think of another line from another author that hit me quite like this.

I believe that at some point he said he felt fortunate that he didn't suffer from a serious affliction, i.e. one which would hinder his ability to think. I recall this from a fairly recent speech of his, dating back no further than a decade. He was still a student when first diagnosed, and was encouraged to wrap up his work and tie any loose ends of his soon-to-be-over life. The fact that he lived on for over half a century, with purpose and many accomplishments, should be an inspiration to everyone.

Enjoy blissful oblivion.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Caeli

What a loss for the world.

Rest in peace.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Caitlin

Oh wow... a legend has died...  :'(

Rest in peace Stephen.

stormwyrm

I read his A Brief History of Time in elementary school and that was my first real encounter with modern physics and cosmology, and it gave me the fascination I have had with it ever since. I learned quite a bit more of quantum mechanics when I got into electronics engineering, and always had his book in the back of my mind when I finally got to the gory details behind some of the stuff that he first introduced me all those years ago. Rest in peace, Stephen.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Deamonbane

Depressing news to wake up to.

Rest in Peace, Stephen. Your lot in life was never easy, and yet you did your best in making the universe a bit more wondrous for the rest of us.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Muse

I read A Brief History of Time in college--a Western Cultural Heritage class, and the second to last lesson in that class talked about Stephen's social impact on the world. 

I also remember a man so phenomenal he portrayed himself on Star Trek: the Next Generation, and clearly was enjoying himself. 

You'll be missed, Stephen. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sessha

Indeed the loss of such an inspiring man in our time diminishes us, but only for a time. For as long we speak of him with fire in our hearts and thunder in our words. He will never truly be gone.

Rest in Peace Steven Hawking may the winds carry you on to greater heights then can be dreamed.
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

AcademicCuriosity9110

I'm in shock, honestly. I have always been interested in science and physics and stuff, and he was always one of those people I hoped to meet one day. And now I never will.

I'll admit, I'm still crying. I'm probably going to be bursting into tears a lot over the next few days. I know the world got a lot more time with him than anybody expected, but it still feels like it was too soon. A bright star has gone out, and all I can do is stare at the empty void where it used to be and despair. I couldn't imagine a world without him, and now that it's here ... I just don't know how to respond.

Thank you for everything, Stephen. Rest in peace.

My request thread!

A/A thread Started/updated 02-22-23

marauder13

When ever I felt that my life was difficult (thanks a lot, Depression), just thinking about what Stephen Hawking went through, and what he was capable of doing, put it into perspective. His work has always been something of interest to me, and I am greatly saddened at his passing. But given his physical condition, he had a good length of time on this earth, and his intellectual legacy will live on for many years to come.

Rest in peace, Dr Hawking. You have earned it, and then some.

Magicaddict

In a thousand years' time, people will still be talking about Hawking Radiation from black holes.  It will be better understood, but it will still carry his name.  Those physicists will probably look back and wonder how in the world he managed to work it out when science was still so limited. 

Rest in peace - you were always going to be ahead of your time, regardless of the one into which you were born.   
"Sex was never safe.  In sex, you reveal yourself physically and emotionally, and that's fucking dangerous." - Jim Steinman

Current Status: Balancing multiple commitments, but not absent.  Average turnaround ~ 6-7 days.

yesiroleplay

Someone great has left the room

Theta Sigma

This is so sad to wake up to. A great and wonderful man with a sense of humour and a killer brain.

:<

O&Os

A&As/Tracker
They/Them pronouns

Mithlomwen

Such a huge loss.   :'(

Such a brilliant mind. 

Rest in peace Stephen. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Mellific

An amazing man, a wonderful mind, an inspiration, and a great sense of humor. Dr. Hawking; may he rest in peace.

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at." -Stephen Hawking.

O/O | A/A | MM

RampantDesires

I ... the world is a poorer place.  :'(

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Valerian

"Look up at the stars and not down at your feet."

He was an endless source of knowledge, inspiration, and humor.  This is such a loss to us all.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Krys

Disclaimer (WIP):
English isn't my native language. I'm deeply rooted in a culture with significantly different (much more direct) communcation strategies than typical for the extremely polite british or canadian cultures, or the "optimistic" approach often used in the USA. Additionally, I'm not neurotypical in several ways, warping my perception and communication to an even further degree.

But: my english is JUST good enough to lull many readers into a false sense of security. Think of it as the communicative equivalent to "false friends words" which, while extremely similar in outward appearance in two languages, mean something slightly but importantly different. Like "I want to become a steak" makes perfect sense to a german... that still would prefer not to be butchered.

So please, if you perceive my words as rude, my intentions as unemotional or just weird: ask me. I'm not always successful in my attempts to correctly guess the fluff and embellishments needed for successful communication. Not in my native german tongue, much less so in english. Please do not interpret them as bad intent, but feel free to ask for clarifications. I'll try my best to solve such misunderstandings, and learn to prevent them.

RoadToDusk

This is... tragic. I knew seldom anything about him other than that he was such an inspirational mind. He was a wonderful man to even fight against his paralysis and ailments through any ways he could. Hawking surely was a strong and wise man, both in the worlds of science and of living.

May his spirit and his family find peace in this grievous time.

Phoenixrisen

Such an accomplished and inspirational man may die in the flesh, but he will never truly die. Not when so many people use his work and continue on paths he made possible.

Take your rest now in piece, Mr. Hawking, if anyone has earned it, you have.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Giantmutantcrab

I am by no means an intelligent or well-educated man. Having barely passed high-school, I have always looked at scientific minds with awe and admiration. Something akin to the first monkey that approaches the black monolith in 2001: a space odessey. Not quite understand what is present before it, but knowing that something of absolute importance is before it.

Mr. Hawking made the complex, often difficult scientific area of physics accessible to anyone, even individuals like me. Someone who is able to explain things like black holes and subatomic particles in a manner that *I* can comprehend is truly someone who masters his or her domain.

It's with great sadness that I learned of Mr. Hawking's death today.

I will go and purchase his book to read it. Because the least I can do is put in effort to understand the depth and complexity of this man's scientific expertise.

Goodbye Mr. Hawking.

Formless

HockeyGod

Rest in peace to a great advocate for people with disabilities.

Naiah

Always remember to look at the stars <3

Empyrean

Rest in peace, Professor Hawking. And thank you, for everything.

Beguile's Mistress

I've always thought of him a someone who was able to transcend the restraints of mind and body and allow his true nature to show through.  Only a mind that can let go of all that holds us back could accomplish what he has done for mankind.

Rest in peace, Stephen.

Nadir

I met him once, when I was an early teen - in a movie theatre of all places. I don't even remember what the film was, but I remember him.

Rest well, Stephen.

Livrainbows

RIP to a man who showed that no matter what life throws at you, you can always come out on top.

Chewy

What a wonderful genius he was. He was a brilliant mind. It is a sad day. We were so lucky to live a life with a man of his intellect. <3

Amarlo

Another great mind missing from our world. Although you have passed it will be long before you are forgotten. While your brilliance will be among the most recalled, I will always remember your compassion and wonderful sense of humor. Thank  you for your contributions to our lives and planet. Rest in Happiness, Professor Hawking.

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Nico

This is something my mother wrote on one of her blogs today:

"Dear Stephen, all your life you tried to understand the universe and tried to make us understand it. Now your work can truly start to understand it all and each time we look up to the stars, we can try to catch a glimpse of your wisdom and your insight. I cannot tell you to rest in peace because I know you never will rest. Instead, you will strive on, explore and try to unravel mysteries."

He will never be truly gone as long as the universe exists. His spirit will be there.  :'(

CrownedSun

This hit me pretty hard when I first saw this earlier. <.<

Arianna

Quote from: Nico on March 14, 2018, 04:04:03 PM
This is something my mother wrote on one of her blogs today:

"Dear Stephen, all your life you tried to understand the universe and tried to make us understand it. Now your work can truly start to understand it all and each time we look up to the stars, we can try to catch a glimpse of your wisdom and your insight. I cannot tell you to rest in peace because I know you never will rest. Instead, you will strive on, explore and try to unravel mysteries."

He will never be truly gone as long as the universe exists. His spirit will be there.  :'(

That is absolutely beautiful, Nic. <3 She is absolutely right, he will live forever, literally speaking. ...and so will all his amazing work.

Amarlo

Anyone else find it intriguing that Hawking passed away on Einstein's birthday? ;)

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Oniya

Quote from: Amarlo on March 15, 2018, 07:14:31 AM
Anyone else find it intriguing that Hawking passed away on Einstein's birthday? ;)

I'd more noted that he passed away on Pi Day.  (3/14 in US notation.)

Now I'm intrigued that Einstein was born on Pi Day.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Bludmagnus

I have to say that, after so many times it being an internet hoax, I had to check for myself.

In pace requiescat, Stephen.
"Shame is an unhappy emotion invented by the hypocritcally pious in order to exploit others."

Personal self-quote:  Jaded is having the only key to the handcuffs and locks.

For consideration I link my O/O post here:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=42014.0

Haibane

I heard this news on the radio yesterday afternoon (UK time) as I was driving. I had to pull over and stop and cry.

Hawking was a stunning, amazing, beautiful, brilliant, funny and inspiring person. His drive to push on despite all that was placed in his path is the thing I have taken most from his accomplishments. He is only the second physicist to have ever filled the Albert Hall in London to capacity. The first was Albert Einstein in 1933.

I take strength from the certainty that scientific endeavour will stride on and provide humanity with ever greater knowledge and more meaningful benefits. Stephen blazed a spectacular path. Others will widen and lengthen it and in time we will enjoy a wide vista of incredible understanding.

The man and his achievements will never be forgotten.

Cecilia

When my dad was diagnosed with ALS, we always looked at Stephen Hawking as a source of comfort. He was An inspiration of sorts.  If he could survive with ALS why not others? There was definitely something special about who he was.

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Oniya

Those .webp images don't show up for me, even when I try pasting them directly in my browser.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Deamonbane

Thera Regina

And now Professor Hawking will change Heaven in the same way that he changed the world. God Speed Professor Hawking!

Request Thread: Here
O/O’s: Here
A/A’s: Here

Mathim

Thank you for brightening up some of my favorite TV shows with your lovely sense of humor. I look forward to the tribute The Big Bang Theory will inevitably give you in gratitude for your guest appearances, and hope that others do the same in some way.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Alhanna

When I saw the news on my Facebook feed, I did a double-take. Surely not, I thought. The man seemed impossible to stop. His intellect was incredible.

Then I checked, and it was true. I was deeply touched and saddened by his passing. He had a great sense of humor in the Big Bang Theory. I never forgot seeing him in an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, where he played himself. He was just one of those greats you just knew about despite never an actual education about them.

Now he's gone. He's gone to rejoin the stars.

Rest in peace, dear sir.

The Oath of the Drake

She's real, she's deep, she's logical and mystical. She believes in kindness and oneness and romance. She's sensitive and distant, a warrior, a lover. She believes in road trips to the stars and dancing with the universe. She's fearless and gentle, wondrous and brave. She lives in waterfalls and forests and sunsets and galaxies. She's the artist, the thinker, the poem and the dream. - Creig Crippen

Blythe

There is a lot about Hawking I admired so much; his death leaves a massive intellectual void in his wake. He was one of the more prominent atheists I looked up to for one quote in particular:

“I believe the simplest explanation is, there is no God. No one created the universe and no one directs our fate. This leads me to a profound realization that there probably is no heaven and no afterlife either. We have this one life to appreciate the grand design of the universe and for that, I am extremely grateful.”

Regardless of one's own religious stance, I always felt that this quote was meaningful and important. This quote always reminds me to appreciate the life I have and to make it count. And Hawking made his count, pushed himself well beyond his limits while saddled with crippling setbacks, and still he was a leader, a titan, and in many ways, incredibly wise.

He will be dearly missed.

Haibane

News, Wednesday, 21st March:

Stephen Hawking's funeral is to be held on Sunday, 1st April in the city of Cambridge where he lived and worked for 50 years.

His ashes are to be interred in Westminster Abbey, London, alongside other great scientists including Sir Isaac Newton (1727) and Sir Charles Darwin (1882).

To me, this is a very fitting resting place for the remains of one of the greatest thinkers of our, or any age.