Fantasy Conduit Mini - Beta Phase | Recruitment Thread [Adding more players]

Started by Eliza, December 18, 2017, 08:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

Fantasy Conduit Mini - Beta Phase / Recruitment Thread

Greetings and welcome to the Recruitment Thread of the Beta Phase of the FIVR-MMORPG (Full Immersion Virtual Reality - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) set in the world of Hathoria using the Fantasy Conduit (FC) Mini  - Player Connection Gear (PCG).

We are currently in need of more players who can meet some criteria:

• Moderate Grasp of English Language – You can post at least 2 solid paragraphs (5-6 sentences) each time you post.
  • Gender Inclusivity – You tolerate or do not care if the gender of the player you are roleplaying with doesn't match with their character's gender (i.e. male playing as female). This includes Lieges and Legates.
At the least we need 2 more players, 4 player maximum at this time.

This thread's purpose is for interest and recruitment only. You can post questions about the game here or you can PM me, but any OOC chatter is not allowed in this thread. If you want to communicate with the other players in this game, even if you have not been approved yet, you can head to the OOC thread (link is at the top and bottom of this post).

Current story

August 16, 2025

The video game industry has made leaps and bounds ever since they appeared in our households in the later decades of the 20th Century. Year after year, graphics, gameplay and sound engineering has gotten better and better and putting players in the shoes of their heroes and heroines in-game was the last milestone the industry has achieved the help of Virtual Reality. Players could now see the ultimate in first-person view with VR headsets, but were quite limited due to the limited range of their wireless sensors. Even though one could see that they were standing in the midst of a great battle or sitting in the cockpit of a massive spaceship in the vast reaches of deep space, they were still sitting in a chair with a controller in their hand. And surround sound and ball-bearing foot platforms could only take them so far. So far, no one has ever attempted to transport the players whole body and their whole range of senses into a virtual world. Until today.

The large company Avalon had brought forth a device called the PC Mini in the beginning of the year 2025 that allowed users to surf the Internet using a device that looked like a pair of sunglasses without the lens. With just thinking it, a user could browse websites, shop for items online, and send email with just their minds. When August came along, they had used the profits they were earning from sales of the PC Mini to research and produce a new device, that was quoted, "to revolutionize the video game industry." In the beginning of the month of August, at a tech conference, they showcased a prototype device dubbed the FC Mk.I Headset, where it would served to be the first to connect to a FIVR-MMORPG (Full Immersion Virtual Reality - Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game). Where PC Mini meant Personal Conduit, FC meant Fantasy Conduit. Using a demo with a volunteer from the audience, who was injected with a special formula containing thousands of microscopic robots, Avalon linked the man into their virtual game world called Hathoria. No hype was needed for what people saw on screens at the conference. The very same man appeared in virtual form as he lay in a sleeplike state in the conference room. The man said, "Hello everybody! Holy shit, I can... do anything! It's just like real life! Actually. This is better than real life!"

Following the showcase, Avalon announced that it would hold an Alpha phase that would allow people to experience Hathoria for themselves. Only fifty spots were available to anyone on the face of the earth who was 18 or older and boy, did the attention all fall on Avalon as all Alpha invitations were purchased overnight. In the weeks to come, people had received the prototype headset and the special formula of nano bots that served to link the physical body, nerves and all, of a player in real life to their virtual self in Hathoria. Included in the fifty players were technicians in charge of finding and isolating bugs and any problems newer players may encounter. Not much was published from the Alpha, but to those who had the chance to get a testimonial from someone who participated, made hype for an upcoming Beta phase all the more valuable.

February 23, 2027

A year and half has passed since the end of the Alpha phase. To the fifty who were given the opportunity to experience it, it was an enjoyable month of September. Rumors of the experience did not do the device and its corresponding virtual world any justice. Word said it allowed anyone to become anything they wanted to be, though there were some limitations. Men could be women. Women could be men. Adults could be younger, though the young adults did not wish to become older than 50 in most cases. Limitations were mostly based on size as player could not become anything bigger than themselves and they could only shrink themselves to the size of a teenager.

But in the beginning of 2027, rumors were leaked of the promised Beta phase by Avalon. With it, they were allowing 5,000 players to participate and also releasing a new, updated device that served to allow what the old device could not. Injections were made available that had more security for the nano bots. Also, invited to participate were the 50 Alpha players from 2025, who more or less would show the ropes for the new players.

Types of FIVR Gear

FC Mk.I Headset

FC Mk.II Headset
Available to: Alpha phase players only
Available to: All users
The FC Mk.I Headset was the first of its kind that allowed users to dive
fully immersed in virtual reality. It worked in conjunction with a specialized
injection of nano bots that served to pinpoint nerve clusters all over the
user's body. The bots had the ability to activate nerves that were translated
into the virtual world while disabling any motor functions in order to
prevent the user from injuring themselves while in full immersion. These
were the prototype headsets issued to the small number of users who
participated in the Alpha phase of the device and its corresponding virtual
world of Hathoria.

Bulkier and heavier than its successor, the Mk.I headset consisted of a
fully enclosed helmet, lined with electrodes. The game client, contained in
a slim card was inserted at the base of the rear of the helmet. An attached
visor that went over the eyes served to prevent optical disruptions from
interfering with a user's full immersion experience and allowed seamless link
into the virtual world when the game client was activated.

The FC Mk.I Headset was discontinued after the end of the Alpha phase
virtual session. Alpha users were able to keep their headsets. When Beta
phase was announced and the Mk.II helmet was released, those who still
had a Mk.I headset were advised that the updated game client would still
work with their hardware, though with a free upgrade to a conversion card
port. The visor was deemed obsolete as well. Alpha users were also advised
that turning in their prototype headset could give them a free upgrade to
the Mk.II headset, which provided more security than its predecessor.
The FC Mk.II Headset is the successor of the FC Mk.I Prototype Headset
utilized by the small number of users who participated in the Alpha phase
of the device and its corresponding virtual world of Hathoria. The Mk.II
Headset was available to everyone who were invited to join the Beta phase
of the device, which numbered at 1,000. Thousands of units were produced
specifically for the Beta phase. These units were not sold in public retail
stores, but at specific distributors who would verify proof of purchase with
invited users. When users showed proof of purchase and invitation, they
were able to pick up their hardware as well as get a specialized injection of
nano bots that worked in conjunction with the headset. These nano bots
were physically identical to the ones injected into users who participated in
the Alpha phase, but software-wise, they had much more security than the
other.

The FC Mk.II headset sported a new sleeker design that was both lighter and
did not have the bulk like its predecessor did. The construction consisted of
an inner-ring, lined with electrode-rich cushioning that was to be worn
around the head of the user. The inner-ring is surrounded by an outer ring,
which contains the bulk of the weight of the headset. The outer ring houses
the game client's card port, which the Mk.I could upgrade to with a
conversion. The outer ring also had a built-in visor that like the Mk.I served
to block out sunlight and other optical distractions to prevent premature
emergency log outs. The hardware inside the outer ring communicated with
the injected nano-bots to provide seamless response from the virtual world
to the user.

Basic RP Rules:

• Please abide by all the regular rules of roleplay. Such includes seldom use of the CAPS LOCK button, writing another player's post within your own, GOD-moding, NSFW photos in post (if NSFW, please link it using the Insert Hyperlink button on your Message options), etc.
  • You are not required to roleplay something you are not comfortable with. Your O/O's will be followed. If you feel that a player is pushing you towards a certain thing, please PM a GM so that he/she can deliberate on the situation. We will ask the person to stop, and if they persist we will take it to site staff.
  • You are NOT the star of the show, and your character is not the star of the show. If the GM feels you are hogging the spotlight (or GOD-modding, another no-no), we will ask you to tone it down and/or stop. On another note, if you are playing an extremely anti-social character, don't come complaining to the GM when your character isn't getting any interactions. Look at your character, and see how others may react to it.
  • The GM's word is law, if they say no - they say NO! No if and/or buts about it, you will try not to override them.
  • Please run your posts through spell check. Although this roleplay game is not a Literate roleplay, please understand that your post may not come out strongly because it's illegible and very difficult to read. To add, please submit full paragraphs in your posts, so no one-liners. Please have at least 5-6 sentences. People will under it you do not have a proper grasp of the English language, but we want to understand your post.
  • For the good of all players included, it is advised that players try to post at least once a week. If a character has not been played in over two weeks, the GM will bechecking to see if you have any absence notifications up. If not, the GM will PM you politely to ask if everything is alright. This is not a poke at you to hurry up, but it is a concern because of the need to keep the RP moving to keep the players' interest going. If you are having issues and need a break, let the GM know. Your character may be NPC'd until you can return to play.

Character Sheets:

If you are interested in playing, please post below and bookmark this thread so you can remain up to date. If you are interested and ready to start roleplaying, you first need a character. Please use the template below and post in this thread. I'll approve character sheets as they come in. Approved character sheet will be posted in the Character Thread.

[b]Hathoria Citizen Name:[/b] (The name of your in-game character in the world of Hathoria)
[b]Alpha or Beta:[/b] (Please note if your character was part of the Alpha phase of the FC Mini – limited to only 50 Alpha users; need to be approved by Eliza or another GM – or beginning with a fresh user in the Beta phase)
[b]Physical Description:[/b] (To those who are blind to images, describe how your in-game character looks like. Also include typical outfit and other distinguishing features. Images may be included, but downsize if too large)
[b]In-Game Race and Gender:[/b] (Please note what type of race your character is in the world of Hathoria and if you are a specific gender; the forum where this will go is in the NC-E Freeform Small Groups section, so you are free to choose a race other than human)
[b]Backstory:[/b] (Optional – please add a brief background of your character, if you choose your character and his/her appearance using inspiration from past games or instances)

[i]Optional Items:[/i] (These may be needed in a later date)
[hr]
[b]RL (Real-Life) Character Name:[/b] (Name of your character outside of Hathoria)
[b]Gender vs. Hathoria Gender:[/b] (Specify if you are a male or female in the real world and what you play as in-game [ex: male playing as female, female playing as male]
[b]Age/Physical Description:[/b] (How old your character is or looks. Images may be included)
[b]Occupation:[/b] Just for backstory purposes.

Norsegod1839

Eliza

You're okay to be interested, EL.

If you're wondering if this RP got off the ground, it has, but the posting rate is slow at the moment.

Plus, this isn't like the Awaken Online RP. This is a modern fantasy based setting, but anime/manga is fine if you use it for your character sheet.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Eliza on December 18, 2017, 09:02:04 PM
You're okay to be interested, EL.

If you're wondering if this RP got off the ground, it has, but the posting rate is slow at the moment.

Plus, this isn't like the Awaken Online RP. This is a modern fantasy based setting, but anime/manga is fine if you use it for your character sheet.

I was hoping it would be its own thing and separate from Awaken Online!

I will probably go completely original in my idea! Any requests?

Eliza

It is separate from that game, but like AO, it draws inspiration from SAO and other MMO-based shows.

I have no requests, in terms of specific characters. So far, every character that has been submitted has been original.

Norsegod1839

Quote from: Eliza on December 18, 2017, 09:06:33 PM
It is separate from that game, but like AO, it draws inspiration from SAO and other MMO-based shows.

I have no requests, in terms of specific characters. So far, every character that has been submitted has been original.

I will get to working on it

Eliza

Seeing that the latest updated for this thread has been a month ago. I'm bumping this thread.

This game is still open for recruitment.

IC-wise, I'm working on a GM post that should separate our current players into manageable arcs, which would be all parallel with each other.

Quote from: EroticLiteracy on December 18, 2017, 09:15:01 PM
I will get to working on it

EL, did you still want to join?