News:

Main Menu

Miniature painting

Started by Beorning, August 12, 2015, 05:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhi

No? If anything breaks down, that is my go-to for learning how to fix it.

TerribleTira

Duct tape fixes everything. XD

TheLaughingOne

... yet again i am in awe and jealous of the paint jobs others are able to do... this weekend (wrll, my time weekend) going out to hang with friend and do some modeling and painting, hopefully he can give me some good tips...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Beorning

Quote from: Dhi on January 19, 2018, 01:42:14 AM
Those are rad, welcome! I like the barbarian woman especially, the black lines make everything pop. How did you do your grass?

Beorning, here's the Tuareg.

Nasmats without antennas.

I'll paint Leila for sure. She is another model with both hands on the gun if memory serves.

Thanks for the photos! Nice job, as usual.

And yes, Leila is another of those difficult model. Ack, I wish I had a good idea how to assemble them...

Beorning

Hey, Dhi, could I have a request?

When you'll be assembling Leila, could you take a photo of how the joint of her left arm (the one holding the rifle), as well as related joint on the main body, look? I was preparing my Leila today and I can't seem to fit this arm together. I wonder if I something needs filing, maybe?

eBadger

A couple more pictures of the Blood and Plunder galleon, and some of the Dutch fluyt as well. 

Arkaniel

Quote from: eBadger on January 21, 2018, 01:44:37 AM
A couple more pictures of the Blood and Plunder galleon, and some of the Dutch fluyt as well. 

Nicely done!

I don’t know these models, so I was wondering what their size/scale was.

eBadger

Thank you!  They're in 28mm scale, about 1/56.  The galleon's hull is 21" long.  Here's the balcony with some minis: 

Arkaniel

Quote from: eBadger on January 21, 2018, 02:27:49 AM
Thank you!  They're in 28mm scale, about 1/56.  The galleon's hull is 21" long.  Here's the balcony with some minis: 

Ah! Bigger than I thought! Still, amazing paint job. Wish I could do that.

I’m currently experimenting further with my airbrush to get better red metallic effects for my custodes. I based them in red and gold and did a nice plasma effect on the weapons, but I want to make the red pop more and just spraying red metal colour on them doesn’t do the trick.

So far, I’m getting closest to the effect I want by spraying white, bright in the middle, thinner along the edges and then spraying red ink over it. Sort of a candy like effect I saw on another custodes army, but there, they made it too candy looking if it makes sense. I don’t want a near glow in the dark effect, haha.

I know I can find stuff like this on YouTube, but I’m stubborn and just like experimenting myself without copy pasting online tricks.

eBadger

I think you mentioned that before, but I didn't see any pics? 

I haven't done much metallic red, although I have a nice gc model air one I'm eager to try.  You seem on the right track.  I find shading and contrast is what really makes red pop. 

No reason to feel bad about doing some research.  Learning recipes and methods is a valuable part of any craft, and tweaking them once more advanced. 

Beorning

Quote from: eBadger on January 21, 2018, 01:44:37 AM

Those ships are very nice, eBadger! Great colours!

If I may ask: where do you keep them? These models are quite big.

On another note: I had a pretty productive weekend and I managed to assemble four new Infinity minis. Dhi, I succeeded in assembling Leila! Although she doesn't look pretty - I had to cheat and use quite a lot of greenstuff to keep her together... What an extremely fiddly mini! I dread what happens if she break apart some day...

On the other hand, I made a second attempt with the Grenzer and... I failed again. Drat! I don't understand why I cannot get this mini in order...

eBadger

Shelves and a display case/tower/thing.  Those were commissions, though, so storage isn't an issue. 

What game are these models you keep talking about from?  They sound horrifying. 

Beorning

Infinity. They might be the best minis among the wargames, but they tend to be tricky...

Dhi

Kingdom Death's Before The Wall is done, but it's already pitch black outside, so I didn't get to seal it yet.

Dhi

Here's how my Leila Sharif fits together, Beorning.

I put her right arm on first, because her gun doesn't actually rest against her breasts. Instead there's a small gap which will prove impossible to access with a brush. Fun!!

I can't get an angle on the left armpit that's in focus.

Sprikut

I've assembled hundreds of infinity models. I stand by the idea that a precision pinning set works great on them for minimal effort. :D

Andol

Uhhhh..... I am a painter of Warhammer Fantasy minis if anyone cares. Working on huge group of Skaven Clanrats and Two Rat Orges to start off that Army which is lead by Thanqoul and Boneripper... the prize baby of my collection XD

Dhi

Of course I care! The best part of this thread is seeing what my fellow forumers are working on.

Here's what I did yesterday, Kingdom Death's Before The Wall.

I think this is an improvement over Beyond The Wall, an earlier attempt at painting KD.

Andol

I am hiding these because they are a little big. I wasn't sure how to shrink the picture down, but this model of Thanqoul and Boneripper I finished at the start of December to a merry cry of "MOM I DID IT"... after about a year of work/200 man hours. Yeah I know... I am slow... XD But at least it turned to be my best looking big guy so far, even better than my War Altar of Sigmar. When I get my Clan Rats done I will post up a picture of them together, with their two support weapons. Save the two Rat Ogres for the big picture when the small starter army is done XD. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Hope you enjoy :D

Dhi

That looks intimidating to paint, great job on all the tiny details.

Andol

Well not to get off into lore, but Thangoul and his faithful body guard the over sized rat ogre Boneripper... well all 13 versions of the poor thing XD... where always my favorite Warhammer characters. So when they remade his model as one of the big awesome looking End Times models... I just had to jump at the chance to make it. Good way to get into making a Skaven army... otherwise known as an army of back stabbing Saturday Morning cartoon villians... and Thangoul is just the most amusing of them all. XD

Beorning

Andol, these two skaven are really nice! You're very precise!

You need to post more of your stuff :)

Dhi, could you explain what Beyond the Wall / Before the Wall means? Is it a character's name? Anyway, very nice minis as usual!

BTW. Heh heh heh. Remember when we talked about Nasmats and their fiddly antennas? Today I've started to work on assembling an Infinity model that puts Nasmats to shame. It's the flying Nomad drone, Meteor - and it has *four* antennas to attach, much smaller than the ones on Nasmats. Two of them have joints that are, I don't know, half a milimetr thick? Also, the drone has a mechanical bird-like tail, also attached by a mini-joint. I have no idea how that whole thing is supposed to stick together during any kind of transport - am I supposed to weld it or something..?  :o  ;D

Serioulsy, look this mini up. A nice model overall, but way too... optimistic when it comes to assembly. I can't imagine this thing holding together without me using a lot of greenstuff on it.

Dhi

They're narrative sculpts for Kingdom Death, representing a survivor departing for a hunt which goes badly. In the art for Beyond The Wall, Aya's sword is broken, and she looks terrified. I think the miniature must have been tweaked to cause less offense, because she for sure does not look afraid.

Dhi

Beorning

I really need to read more about Kingdom Death. Narrative sculpts..?

Your Leila is *awesome*! I fear of what comes out of mine...

BTW. Could you tell me a bit about decorating bases? I'm considering spicying up my Infinity bases a little, but I'm at lost. I looked up relevant materials in some gaming shops and there are so many terms: static grass, flock, tufts... Also, I have no idea how to actually use these materials..?