Iron Gods (Pathfinder; Recruiting until Aug 27)

Started by Dakkon, August 16, 2014, 02:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dakkon

Numeria. A wasteland on the banks of the Sellen River that is best now for these as trying to fleece every last coin off of the Crusaders heading north to fight the Worldwound. A land crushed under the heel of the Technic League, with every town and city forced into crippling taxation.

A land soon to be know for its Iron Gods.

The town of Torch has built itself on its namesake, a purple fire that burns hot enough to all smiths to work the region's rare skymetal. When the flame atop the hill goes out, everyone starts to worry. Without the flame and the skymetal, no one will be able to pay their taxes. When the beloved Town Councillor and wizard, Khonnir Baine, vanishes with his second expedition under the Black Hill to try and reignite the flame, worry threatens to become fullblown panic. The rest of the Council has put out a 4000 gold bounty for any group who can return his body, and Khonnir's 19-year old adopted daugher, Val, has offered a scroll of resurrection to anyone who can return her father alive and has offered her father's tavern as a base of operation for anyone mounting a rescue operation. 

All could be for naught, of course, if Torch's flame does not return. On his first expedition, Baine found a strange construct, part man, part spider, like so many scattered across the wastes. He feared something might been hidden under the town that is only now waking up.

You and your three companions are moving to meet with Val, set up your base, and get on to the wizard's trail before it turns cold.

Iron Gods Player's Guide: Found here. Please make sure you download it and read it, there is important information there, and its free.
Setting: Golorian - Numeria.
Genre: Science Fantasy. Expect laser guns to be shooting and chainswords revving right along side of the classic fireballs and battle axes.
Number of Players: Four. I'm going to try and go for an even spread of genders.
Level: 1st
Character Age: 21+, or racial equivalent
Posting Rate: I don't expect daily posts, since I know few people who can keep that rate up, however if you are gone 72 hours without posting in the game thread with no prior notice, I'll be checking in via PM. If that's going unanswered, or happening multiple times, I'll be opening the game back up to someone who can post more regularly. I don't want to be a hardass, but that's what it takes to keep forum games going I'm afraid.
Character selection: I'm going to see how much interest this thread garners in a week. If a lot of people are interested, I'll set a deadline, between a week and half from two weeks out from today. If not, I'll take people on a modified first come, first serve basis.

The Fluff

Rating: Exotic, Bondage
Alignment: Iron Gods does no presuppose any alignment, so this game will be open to all of them With that said, everyone in the group need to be able to get along. Asshole evil, preachy good, lawful templar, and chaotic jerk characters should be avoided. I’m uncomfortable running a party that is south of neutral, however, so please take that into account. There can be a token evil teammate, but I prefer stories that involve you (usually) being heroes.
Background: Iron Gods starts with a few assumptions. The entire first story takes place in the town of Torch, and starts with a party already formed, so after character selection we will do a bit of a team build to establish connections between characters. The best types of backgrounds will be of characters from Torch itself, travellers who regularly pass through the town and have some connection to it. Others could exist, but are less likely, although I bet a kind-hearted crusader may work well too. 
Personality: As I said above, your character needs to be trusting enough to work with others without trying to screw them over (… screw them on the other hand…). Keep a game cohesive on the boards is hard enough with characters getting sarcastic with one another. Likewise, I respectfully ask people to avoid "lone-wolf" or "reserved" personalities in their characters. Those can and do work for in person games, but on boards, I find that it leads to a lack of participation, intentional or not, when not in combat.
Appearance: As you please, although a picture is required so that I can use it with our maps, although it doesn’t have to be a perfect representation of your character.
Sexuality: Just like in my Wrath of the Righteous game, don’t expect sex to be a given here, you will have to work for it a bit, just like real life. That said, feel free to create NPCs that you already have a connection to in your background! I am open to telling a story with any genders/orientations.

The Crunch

Books: All Paizo. Dreamscarred Press' Path of War. Abandoned Art’s Amazing Races and Class Acts. Kobold Press’s Deep Magic. Legendary Game’s Gothic Campaign Compendium. Just give me a heads up for anything outside of Paizo, since I don’t have every last thing memorized. 
Classes: Any from the above sources. I do have the Advanced Classes Guide, so go wild. This is a great campaign for gunslingers too!
Races: The Core Seven, plus Android, Changeling, Dhampir, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Orc, Ratfolk, or Skinwalker.
Ability scores: 15 point buy
Equipment: Average starting gold
Traits: Two traits at character creation, one of which must be a campaign trait from the Player's Guide. It is okay for more than one PC to have the same trait. No more by any means.
Initiative: I use a version of initiative where everyone roles Init, but then the first person to post each round acts at the highest Init rolled, the second at the next highest and so on. I find this speeds up combat considerably.

Where faith, magic, and technology mix, new heroes will be born. Will you be one of them?

TheGlyphstone

This looks incredibly awesome, I'm already thinking of various concepts.

First up...Synthesist Summoner as a magitech cyborg?

Second would be the Dreamscarred Press Aegis. That might actually be my first choice, not sure.

Dakkon

Hmm... there's some potential in that I think.

Autocad

Hm, are we talking about steampunk, transformers, or Apple aesthetics in terms of the science here?

Dakkon

We're talking used future kind of technology, that's functional, but has often had thousands of years to decay. It doesn't cleanly fit in anything you've suggested, but it's definitely not Apple and not Steampunk. Transformers... Maybe the movie aesthetics? That's not really what I see in my head. This is Star Trek/Star Wars level tech, with more than a hint of Mad Max. Stuff will be broken sometimes, but it will often be usable for a while. I'll post images of the first two modules below to try and give you a relatively spoiler free idea.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Also, it is important to keep in mind that knowledge of technology is relatively suppressed in Numeria and totally unknown out of it. A big part of this AP's mood is supposed to be the wonder of discovering something that is so like magic, but isn't anything anyone has really encountered before.

Dakkon

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 16, 2014, 02:46:27 AM
Second would be the Dreamscarred Press Aegis. That might actually be my first choice, not sure.
I'm not using Psionics in this one Glyph, sorry. Nothing against it, you know I love what DSP's done, but it's not supported in the AP and I don't have time to add in the content. Path of War is fair game though, since it's easier to drag and drop.

Muse

Still need to look over the adveture path, but could I offer you a cleric? 

Either of Saranrae or Torag? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Working on a cleric of Torag for you. 

You said you weren't using psionics in this game.  Is the feat "Open Minded" acceptable?  It's presented in the Expanded Psionics Handbook but is not itself a psionic feat.  (It gives +1 skill point/level.) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B56Nlj5-hHgKfiBNmAHgHZ2q2q72-3Y6yCfgvX51bKQ/edit
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Autocad

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: FallenDabus on August 16, 2014, 03:13:28 AM
I'm not using Psionics in this one Glyph, sorry. Nothing against it, you know I love what DSP's done, but it's not supported in the AP and I don't have time to add in the content. Path of War is fair game though, since it's easier to drag and drop.

*cries*

Good thing that was Option B.

Craz

I'd definitely be interested! Iron Gods looked really cool from the preview.

Dakkon

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 16, 2014, 11:27:17 AM
*cries*

Good thing that was Option B.
Sorry!

Quote from: Muse on August 16, 2014, 06:17:39 AM
Working on a cleric of Torag for you. 

You said you weren't using psionics in this game.  Is the feat "Open Minded" acceptable?  It's presented in the Expanded Psionics Handbook but is not itself a psionic feat.  (It gives +1 skill point/level.) 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B56Nlj5-hHgKfiBNmAHgHZ2q2q72-3Y6yCfgvX51bKQ/edit
While I'd like to, I'm going to say no to make sure it's clear which resources we are and are not using. Sorry man!

That said, I forgot to mention that 1001 Spells by Rite Publishing is also fair game.

Ghostwheel

Dakkon

Quote from: Ghostwheel on August 16, 2014, 12:09:49 PM
Plonk on my interest :D
Some days I think I could post an empty thread and get you interested :P

I'm hoping to get a bit more background information on Torch posted this evening or tomorrow to help you make your backgrounds. Here's a bit:

Coinage: Numeria uses and accepts the standard denominations of coins used in the surrounding countries, but they also have a unique aspect in the silverdisks. These are silvery disks made of strange skymetal alloys and traced with strange geometric patterns. These silverdisks are valued at the same amount as a platinum piece, although rarely someone finds a silverdisk within the Numerian ruins that glows with the light of the candle. These stranger silverdisks are worth ten platinum to those who deal in technology.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: FallenDabus on August 16, 2014, 01:23:13 PM
Some days I think I could post an empty thread and get you interested :P

Hey, that just means that you're such a great DM that I'll play even an empty thread ;D

By the by, any chance of upping the point buy? I'm interested in a character that has substantial MAD, and 15 PB hurts :-3

EDIT: How are we doing starting gold? Rolled? Max? Average?

Muse

At the risk of agreeing with Ghostwheel, some more inteligenc eand charisma would be REALY nice. ;) 

(Teasing you, bro!)

Ershin

May I express my interest in this? The setting looks really cool.
Might need a little bit to get a definite idea of what to play, but I'm considering trying something from the Advanced Class Guide... Perhaps an Android Arcanist? Or maybe use a slightly older class and go with a cackling Witch-Bot?

Dakkon

Quote from: Ghostwheel on August 16, 2014, 01:30:44 PM
Hey, that just means that you're such a great DM that I'll play even an empty thread ;D

By the by, any chance of upping the point buy? I'm interested in a character that has substantial MAD, and 15 PB hurts :-3

EDIT: How are we doing starting gold? Rolled? Max? Average?
Okay, fine, 20 points. Gold is average for the class. Pretty sure I remembered to put that in the first post.

Quote from: Ershin on August 16, 2014, 03:06:27 PM
May I express my interest in this? The setting looks really cool.
Might need a little bit to get a definite idea of what to play, but I'm considering trying something from the Advanced Class Guide... Perhaps an Android Arcanist? Or maybe use a slightly older class and go with a cackling Witch-Bot?

Sounds like cool ideas  :-)

Ghostwheel

Yay!

Is there any information on the ruling/noble families of Torch? Or should we just make something up that could fit in the world?

Dakkon

Quote from: Ghostwheel on August 16, 2014, 03:43:35 PM
Yay!

Is there any information on the ruling/noble families of Torch? Or should we just make something up that could fit in the world?
Coming later today.

Chulanowa

Sir, you have my interest! I just need to thumb through my books to touch up on the setting, and see what congeals - I'm thinking something meaty and "Krunk"-like... Just because i don't play enough big head-butting motherfucker characters...

Muse

I think cherry red is ready, by the way.  Just let me add the extra build points.  :)

ThisOneGal

If you're still recruiting, I'm interested. I just discovered this Adventure Path, but there's basically no chance of my IRL group playing it.

I would like to play a female human archaeologist/engineer, altough I need to figure out how to turn that last part into a combat class.

Chulanowa

Definitely going male. Probably going barbarian. Still undecided between race (provided barbarian is clear, that is. great thing is, big blocky melee-types build themselves at 1st level, I just need to... like... do it.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: ThisOneGal on August 16, 2014, 10:44:04 PM
If you're still recruiting, I'm interested. I just discovered this Adventure Path, but there's basically no chance of my IRL group playing it.

I would like to play a female human archaeologist/engineer, altough I need to figure out how to turn that last part into a combat class.

Rogue, problem solved. I think there's even a specific Archaeologist archetype package for the Rogue. Tomb-delving means being good at avoiding all the nasty traps left behind to deter people like you.

EDIT: Nope, it's a Bard. Swaps bardic music for luck bonuses, and gets some rogue-like abilities as it levels up.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/archaeologist