WTF!? Mike Portnoy Leaves Dream Theater!

Started by Wyrd, September 09, 2010, 05:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyrd

This might not effect a lot of you here on E, But to fans of Metal and Progressive music this is truly messed up!
When I read on Dream Theater's website that Mike Portnoy had parted ways with 'his' band I was and am still shocked and very upset. I also find myself wondering what the future for Dream Theater will be without they're fearless leader and main driving force behind the band. Mike Portnoy did great things with Dream Theater and I truly hope that some day he will rejoin, but until then I wish his luck on his new musical journey. If any of you are upset about this happening too, please share your opinion on this subject and what you think the future hold for one of world wide leader's in Prog.     

For more details look here
http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=11887
Ragtime Dandies!

Lilias

Most likely, like Deep Purple without Blackmore... I hope I'm proven wrong, but even if DT's race has been run, it's been a quarter of a century that has changed the face of rock music.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

jouzinka

Hey, everything bad can be the source of something good. If he said that he had no longer the motivation to continue with the band, then I highly doubt there would be any good in continuing.

He'll be back, it's not like he's moving to Mars. ;)
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Hemingway

Well, that sucks. I'm not a die-hard fan, but I've seen them, listen quite regularly, and the music is amazing, so to see them change somehow for the worse, would suck.

Wyrd

Especially when you have been growing up with their music for most of your life, Been inspired to be a musician by them. I won't know what to do with myself if they split. I hope that john petrucci can keep Dream Theater afloat, If not, I don't even want to look at my guitar again.     
Ragtime Dandies!

elliedark

If I recall correctly, he left to join A7X (Avenged Sevenfold) taking The Rev's place after he died. I don't dislike A7X, but my brother is absolutely crazy about them, which is why I know.

I think dream theater will do well enough without him because they're so well established and so good at what they do.
All that is and never was joining hands just because.
Ellie's O/O

Wyrd

Yes only a short term member for A7x, not a full time member of the band. And he did not leave to join them, he left for many personal reasons that have little to nothing to do with A7x. Portnoy has said a few times since he left that A7x did not make him want to leave dream theater. if you read the link above you would know that.
Ragtime Dandies!

elliedark

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't particularly follow A7X, so I was just going off my brother.
Ellie's O/O

Wyrd

No prob.  A lot of friends of my are fans of A7x and were excited about Portnoy joining the band until I corrected there sorry butts and told them that MP is going on to other things after the tour with A7x. unfortunately those other things don't include Dream Theater. 
Ragtime Dandies!

elliedark

Sadly it does happen, though. Like when Thomen Stauch left Blind Guardian. Blind Guardian is doing fine, and their new album is fantastic, though sadly Stauch was booted from Savage Circus because he missed to much form health problems. I think he's in another band now though.

Point is, yes it sucks that he left, but Dream Theater will still move on =P
Ellie's O/O

Izu

As a big D.T. fan, I wish they had taken a break and not just moved on without him. They will either prove to be great without him as well, or they will fail. I do expect them to fail miserably... but then again only time will show. I do think they will make some really bad album, Mike will feel bad about it and will come back or something like this xD

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Wyrd

I agree. After MP gets his time away from DT he will definitely rejoin. John P said himself that door is always open for Mike.

And as for Blind Guardians situation a few years back, elliedark, I admit that Thomen Stauch was an amazing drummer, but it was not as big of a deal as  if Hansi or Andre left. Sadly, for DT Mike was more then just the drummer, he was the heart and soul for them.  By the way, funny you should say Blind Guardian, they are my favorite band along with DT. I'm was very happy with they're latest masterpiece 'At The Edge Of Time'! lookin forward to seeing them live in November!
Ragtime Dandies!