A Challenge For English Speakers:)

Started by adventurer, November 09, 2008, 01:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josietta

Or you could just make it 10 mins and stop the recording when you are done.

Also there were questions about sound settings...

You'll have to go to your control panel to your sound settings. Then there should be an option for recording and speakers. If you select the recording option it will show you your type of mic you have. select it and then either hit properties or configure. Configure will allow you to test your mic with their system to see if its working properly or if the actual property volume needs adjusted. Properties will allow you to manually set your mic volume higher or if need be turn on the mic boost (which will make the mic pick up sounds more easily though it may pick up background as well).

The purpose of the sound settings is to make your mic more efficient with actually setting the boost if needed (which some stem mics need)
and it lets you test your mic to see if its working the way you want. 

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Kalen

Quote from: Josietta on November 19, 2008, 12:55:42 PM
Or you could just make it 10 mins and stop the recording when you are done.

In one recording I made, I only used 1/2 the time... and it kept going with the other 1/2 as blank space.  It's REALLY a dumb program.

Josietta

Quote from: Kalen on November 19, 2008, 12:58:54 PM
In one recording I made, I only used 1/2 the time... and it kept going with the other 1/2 as blank space.  It's REALLY a dumb program.

Its not dumb in Vista :P  its unlimited and doesn't "keep going" :P

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Kalen

So... you're saying there's something Vista does BETTER than XP?

But... the Mac guy on the commercials!  He's so much cooler than stodgy old PC!!

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
iTs noT reaLLy tHat imPortAnt
untiL yoU're noT geTtiNg anY.."
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
Suffering should be creative,
it should give birth to something good and lovely
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

I may need to adjust my mic or use another program; either way, here's my first try.

http://www.speedyshare.com/301546418.html

I'll probably go back and do another one to correct a couple of mispronunciations.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Kurzyk

Wow thanks Kalen! Was trying to figure out how to do that today. Awesome.

Kalen

A little bird told me you wanted a hand, Kurzyk.  She knew I had XP and had gone through these hoops, so she asked me to tell you. 

I decided to put it in here instead, so everyone had it.  Oh, and she made me do pretty screenshots too! 

A harsh mistress, but a fair one!   :D

Dawg

Quote from: Paradox on November 19, 2008, 01:25:33 PM
I may need to adjust my mic or use another program; either way, here's my first try.
I'll probably go back and do another one to correct a couple of mispronunciations.

Wow, you speak fast too Para, but you speak well and you annunciation is very good.  Excellent job.

I didn't even look up what I may have said wrong, but may go back and try that and if so then re-record when I get the chance.  If anyone does notice any blatant mispronunciations before then, please let me know so I can make sure to correct them.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

Thanks Dawg! People often comment on the speed of my speech; I even tried to slow down for the recording  :P

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Kurzyk

Quote from: Kalen on November 19, 2008, 01:40:12 PM
A little bird told me you wanted a hand, Kurzyk.  She knew I had XP and had gone through these hoops, so she asked me to tell you. 

I decided to put it in here instead, so everyone had it.  Oh, and she made me do pretty screenshots too! 

A harsh mistress, but a fair one!   :D

*laughs* You guys rock. :)

Paradox ~ Nice job! Cool voice and it was impressive how clear your words were with how quickly you spoke.

Dawg

Quote from: Paradox on November 19, 2008, 01:44:30 PM
Thanks Dawg! People often comment on the speed of my speech; I even tried to slow down for the recording  :P

That takes a lot of practice, have you ever heard of Toastmasters?  Look around for a local club and see if you can get involved, a lot of people think its dorky or geeky, but with your knowledge of the language, the practice of getting up in front of a known crowd that you know is accepting and will give you honest critiques afterwards can help you mold your speeches so you are not as nervous and can project clearly and slowly; that way your audience can hang on every word you write.

I go at 90 mph all the time and used to speak the same, but they helped me to slow it down and speak much clearer, that is why mine took 7 as opposed to your and Kalen's 5.  Nothing wrong with speaking fast, but I know you are getting to the point in your education where you need to give a lot of speeches and I would hate to see your talent for written word suffer upon your translation into spoken word when something so simple as more practice could avoid it.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kurzyk

Hmm can't seem to play yours back Dawg.

Dawg

[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

I'm already immersed in a class on public speaking. That was only my first attempt at the poem, off the cuff. That's why I said a second attempt with proper preparation is in order!

Does that site delete the file after a while?

Dawg

Quote from: Paradox on November 19, 2008, 02:39:28 PM
I'm already immersed in a class on public speaking. That was only my first attempt at the poem, off the cuff. That's why I said a second attempt with proper preparation is in order!

Does that site delete the file after a while?

I think it does, but not within hours. 

I figured you were taking as class, hence your need to prepare and do so many speeches lately; you will learn a lot more from a formal class (You really don't learn much from Toastmasters), it just presents you with a a ready and captive audience with feedback and critique afterwards to practice what you learn in your class.  Most meetings are only 45minutes long and take place every other week, mostly on lunch breaks - but that depends on each club.  Just a suggestion for more practice.

Mine was first attempt too, at 3:00am after working a 14 hour day and coming home to do paperwork.  But now you guys have me worried no about mis-pronunciation and I don't know if I can go back and research every word there.  Did you listen to mine, were there a lot of errors?  I can maybe try it again tonight.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

Paradox

I heard a few, but they aren't jumping to mind right now. I'll give it a whirl tonight and let you know if you'd like. You did better than I did either way.

Ket

Good heavens Para!  What happened to your voice?!

When did you grow a pair?  -giggle-
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Josietta

Quote from: Paradox on November 19, 2008, 01:25:33 PM

Wow.. your voice is deeper than I expected. But very nice. *nodnod*

I couldn't get MND's to work at all. But everyone did really well. I think i'm the only one that cursed the darn thing lol.

O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 

Paradox

Quote from: Ket on November 19, 2008, 02:48:42 PM

That's precisely what I wondered upon first hearing your recording (minus the part about growing a pair).

I told you that I speak softly on the phone!

Ket

Your voice is deep over the phone, but it's crazily deeper on the recording!
she wears strength and darkness equally well, the girl has always been half goddess, half hell

you can find me on discord Ket#8117
Ons & Offs~Menagerie~Pulse~Den of Iniquity
wee little Ketlings don't yet have the ability to spit forth flame with the ferocity needed to vanquish a horde of vehicular bound tiny arachnids.

Dawg

Quote from: Ket on November 19, 2008, 02:48:42 PM

Now now Ket, he did it didn't he *snickers* you know his voice better than I

Quote from: Paradox on November 19, 2008, 02:47:57 PM
I heard a few, but they aren't jumping to mind right now. I'll give it a whirl tonight and let you know if you'd like. You did better than I did either way.

Thanks, and if you have the chance I would appreciate it. I can think of one or two off the top of my head that I said oh crap when I was reading and at least one line that I said the last word first and recovered quickly by saying the beginning right away, but I would need to listen and read through to catch that part.
[tr][td]
"sEx is LikE aiR..
[/td][td]
   *******   [/td][td]
 ~ Chinua Achebe
[/td][/tr][/table]

MusicNeverDies

*snicker* Para, you sound like 1000 times deeper then I expected. *hands you helium*

Kalen

Actually, the way Para's boyish face contrasts with the deep voice reminds me of someone... who... oh, wait.

Rick Astley!   ;D

Paradox

*hangs head in shame*

That was a low blow, Kalen!

Actually, for half a second, I considered slipping into Rick Astley lyrics halfway through the reading. Either that or the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song.

Obviously, restraint triumphed in the end.

By the way, I was doing some research on the actual poem and found that it wasn't written by "B. Shaw" (originally, I thought that meant George Bernard Shaw). It's true origins can be found here:

http://www.spellingsociety.org/journals/j17/caos.php

and a copy of the poem that actually gives him credit:

http://www.mipmip.org/tidbits/pronunciation.shtml