News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella

Cutting Aegon and Arianne seems like a bold step.

Iniquitous

Quote from: Beorning on February 01, 2015, 05:11:54 PM
So... the trailer for Season 5 has arrived:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152715877082734&pnref=story

Somehow, I don't feel too excited. I think I've lost my heart for this show... The books are so much better!

*keeps his fingers crossed for Winds of Winter to be released this year*

No Winds of Winter this year. It will most likely be next year or the year after. As for the new season coming up - no Lady Stoneheart, looks like Jaime goes to Dorne, no sign of Aegon and Arianna. But, of course, the show is not (nor has it ever been) a true adaptation of the books. I have learned to look at it as something extra to bide my time till he puts out the next book.

Which reminds me. Buy The Untold History of Westeros. It is an interesting read.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

jouzinka

Quote from: Sir Percival the Gallant on February 02, 2015, 07:12:11 PM
I'm under the influence they're cutting that entirely. Same thing with the other Greyjoy characters.
You... you... you... you are saying that I will not see Victarion Greyjoy? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Iniquitous

Well damn. I was looking forward to seeing Victarion. Le sigh... I suppose my imagination will have to suffice.

Sindara

Did anyone go to an Imax theater  and watch the two last episodes? I think it's  only playing this week. I highly recommend!! The battle on the wall was awesomely epic on the big big screen!
Ons and Offs.......

Sir Percival the Gallant

Quote from: jouzinka on February 03, 2015, 03:42:39 AM
You... you... you... you are saying that I will not see Victarion Greyjoy? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah, I was disappointed, too. I could be wrong, but in that case, we won't be seeing them until next year. I suspect if they use any of Victarion and Euron's plots they'll assign it to Balon (whom I'm surprised they haven't killed off yet), but I'm very doubtful.

Aiden

Joel

@#%#$^#$^$#%@$%#@%@#$@#$@#%#%#@%#@%#@%!!!!!!

Sir Percival the Gallant

Yes—tomorrow!

Well, we know the names of the first seven episodes.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I'm predicting the first episode will open with Cersei's flashback, probably where she's considering murdering the infant Tyrion in his cradle. The scene will probably then cut to Tywin's lying in state in the Sept of Baelor.

Post-episode: I was pretty close.

Beorning

I have yet to see the first episode...

Was it good, or do they keep butchering the books? ;)

Remiel

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2015, 02:10:09 PM
I have yet to see the first episode...

Was it good, or do they keep butchering the books? ;)

The series has diverted from the books on a few occasions, but on the whole, it remains pretty faithful.

And honestly, so far every change that has been made has been perfectly justifiable IMHO.   

jouzinka

I have the leaked ones. O:) Only saw two yesterday, because I was dead tired. But applause to Sir Percival for the flashback. Different one, though. ;D

Beorning

Quote from: Remiel on April 13, 2015, 02:16:11 PM
The series has diverted from the books on a few occasions, but on the whole, it remains pretty faithful.

And honestly, so far every change that has been made has been perfectly justifiable IMHO.

Personally, I feel that the series diverts from the books more and more. The timeline of some events has been changed and there definitely were situations that just didn't happen in the books. Like
Spoilers for Season 4 finale
Brienne seeing Aria alive
, which is really a big change to the plot.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the series is bad. It's just that it feels less and less satisfactory as it goes on...

Aiden

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
Personally, I feel that the series diverts from the books more and more. The timeline of some events has been changed and there definitely were situations that just didn't happen in the books. Like
Spoilers for Season 4 finale
Brienne seeing Aria alive
, which is really a big change to the plot.

Anyway, I'm not saying that the series is bad. It's just that it feels less and less satisfactory as it goes on...

In response to that with spoilers

I think this had to be done in the show to give Brienne something to say when (hopefully) she runs into Lady Stoneheart. At the moment, there is nothing left for Brienne to do in the show, perhaps start looking for Sansa?

Beorning

Quote from: Aiden on April 13, 2015, 02:45:15 PM
In response to that with spoilers

I think this had to be done in the show to give Brienne something to say when (hopefully) she runs into Lady Stoneheart. At the moment, there is nothing left for Brienne to do in the show, perhaps start looking for Sansa?

But that's a problem the showrunners created themselves, having sped up Brienne's quest... In the books, Brienne's search for the Stark daughters only started in Book 4. Meanwhile, the show had Brienne search for them already in Season 4, which corresponded to the second half of Book 3. And now, in Season 5, Brienne might have nothing to do...

There's a similar, but even bigger, problem with Bran. Season 4 basically used up most of Bran's plot from Book 5. So... what are they going to do with this character? Are they going to drop this plot for a season or two?

Aiden

Spoilers are dumb, but I use them for you none book readers even if you are going to click them anyway

I agree, I think Brienne and Podrick are so liked they will have a filler like quest for the rest of the season if we keep seeing them.

Regarding Bran- I think most of his training will consist of him witnessing things via the trees. Maybe a susprice Cameo by Ned Stark, the scene of him in the godwood. When I read that scene, I got the biggest chill down my spine.

Beorning

Quote from: Aiden on April 13, 2015, 03:04:37 PM
Spoilers are dumb, but I use them for you none book readers even if you are going to click them anyway

Regarding Bran- I think most of his training will consist of him witnessing things via the trees. Maybe a susprice Cameo by Ned Stark, the scene of him in the godwood. When I read that scene, I got the biggest chill down my spine.

Maybe... still, that's not much for him to do. Is he going to keep watching things through trees for the whole season? Of, for the whole two seasons? I suspect they won't be able to cover all of Book 4 and Book 5 in one season...

BTW. Do you think that we might see that character recasted at some point? The kid that plays him is growing up *fast*.

jouzinka

About Lady Stoneheart
We will not see Lady Stoneheart at all, that has already been leaked.

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2015, 02:51:56 PM
There's a similar, but even bigger, problem with Bran. Season 4 basically used up most of Bran's plot from Book 5. So... what are they going to do with this character? Are they going to drop this plot for a season or two?
About Bran
Yes. It slipped from the actor that plays Hodor that he is not appearing in this season at all. And yes, Isaac is maturing very fast, but in my opinion he just makes up for the growth that was supposed to be in the books, but didn't happen and that Martin felt was too unrealistic for such young children.

I actually think they have used quite a lot of material from Dance with Dragons, they hit the end Bran's storyline, they are nearly at the end with Wall storyline, they are apparently dropping Aegon's storyline completely (established in trailer), they are very likely dropping Quentyn Martell's storyline (hasn't been cast) and they will most likely only skirt the Ironborn storyline as Victarion Greyjoy apparently hasn't been cast either. I think during this season we will see what remains to be made of the books.

Joel

Can I add absolutely nothing to this conversation other than

$#^$#^#$^#$#%$%#$ fangirls all over the place.

Aiden

Quote from: jouzinka on April 13, 2015, 03:33:46 PM
and they will most likely only skirt the Ironborn storyline as Victarion Greyjoy apparently hasn't been cast either.

DAMN IT! This upsets me the most!

Sir Percival the Gallant

I don't mind the changes from the books, honestly, since they need to bring the everything to conclusion at the end of season 7.

Quote from: Beorning on April 13, 2015, 02:51:56 PM

But that's a problem the showrunners created themselves, having sped up Brienne's quest... In the books, Brienne's search for the Stark daughters only started in Book 4. Meanwhile, the show had Brienne search for them already in Season 4, which corresponded to the second half of Book 3. And now, in Season 5, Brienne might have nothing to do...

I found Brienne's plot in FfC rather dull except for the end, so I really don't mind them changing things up.

Quote from: jouzinka on April 13, 2015, 03:33:46 PM
About Bran
Yes. It slipped from the actor that plays Hodor that he is not appearing in this season at all. And yes, Isaac is maturing very fast, but in my opinion he just makes up for the growth that was supposed to be in the books, but didn't happen and that Martin felt was too unrealistic for such young children.

I actually think they have used quite a lot of material from Dance with Dragons, they hit the end Bran's storyline, they are nearly at the end with Wall storyline, they are apparently dropping Aegon's storyline completely (established in trailer), they are very likely dropping Quentyn Martell's storyline (hasn't been cast) and they will most likely only skirt the Ironborn storyline as Victarion Greyjoy apparently hasn't been cast either. I think during this season we will see what remains to be made of the books.

Yes, we won't see Bran (or presumably Meera Reed, either). I doubt they'll recast Bran, though, unless the actor really doesn't want to return. He's well established at this point, so we'll see him again next year. I don't think we saw Lancel Lannister last season (I could be wrong—maybe he appears at the Purple Wedding or Tommen's coronation), but he's back now.

I agree, though it sounds like the show will largely take its own itinerary from that point on, using only some of the main material that will appear in WoW and DoS. And the books now have so many characters, many of whom are now very far away from each other, so if they want to bring the show to closure at the end of season 7, they need to begin working towards that end now.

Iniquitous

From what I have read and understand, the show was never going to faithfully follow the books. That is understandable since it would be impossible for a one hour, ten episode a season show to follow such a large cast and detailed story. Makes it a bit frustrating for the fans who have read the books to be sure, but it is understandable.

I have also read that, yes, they are taking from Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons this season. They are also altering things in order to bring everything to the point they are supposed to be by the end of this season.
Like Jamie going to Dorne to get his daughter instead of having the kingsguard there that breaks his oath, falls in love with the Princess of Dorne and helps kidnap Mrycella only to have her severely injured in the process and die himself. There is also the fact that there was no mention of Mance's newborn son and how Stannis' witch wanted him to burn cause the infant had king's blood. That whole arc is what has Jon trading Mance's son for Gilly's son and sending Gilly, Sam and Maester Aegon to the Citadel for Sam to begin training to become a Maester and telling his family that the baby is his bastard so that they will take Gilly and the baby in and keep them safe. And, last but not least, Lancel never actually deals with Cersei at the wake of her father. Matter of fact, he has been married off (to a Frey if memory serves right) and is living on his new lands refusing to eat and refusing to leave the Sept as he is praying constantly for forgiveness for what he did. Jamie, on his way to try and get Riverrun under control and put in the charge of one of his uncles, stops off at Lancel's home and finds Lancel wasting away. This also means that it looks like we wont see Edmund Tully standing on the scaffold every day to try and scare the Blackfish into giving up Riverrun to the Lannisters - which is also the point that you learn that Tywin Lannister set up the whole situation that led to the Red Wedding. And the whole Sansa/Littlefinger thing is not in the books so have no idea what they are doing there. They are apparently not bringing in Lady Stoneheart, who captures Brienne and Pod in the books with a cliffhanger of not knowing if Brienne is dead or not since Lady Stoneheart did not seem to believe her when she tried to explain what happened. So, don't know what they are doing there, but Brienne definitely did not see Arya in the books, nor did Brienne and the Hound fight.
(seriously, do not read the spoiler if you haven't read the books. You have been warned)

Sir Percival the Gallant

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 15, 2015, 06:46:57 AM
I have also read that, yes, they are taking from Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons this season. They are also altering things in order to bring everything to the point they are supposed to be by the end of this season.

Yes, with plots condensed. Since they have fewer characters, they’ll 'reroute' the characters they do have to cover plot threads of others during the books. It also seems like they’re not going to be separating characters geographically as much now (this is, for me, one of the main weaknesses of the novels). This is good, as I like the show best when you have a lot of the characters in the same place and a lot of scenes together.

After this episode, I suspect that Ellaria will take the place of Arianne Martell, and maybe Bronn may end up in Darkstar's stead.

It’s also good to see Jaqen H'ghar again. I think we all figured he'd be showing up at the House of Black and White when we saw the actor's name in the cast this year. I've always been hoping to see Syrio Forel again, but I doubt that.

Presumably, Sam and Gilly won't be leaving the Wall, and Sam will research the White Walkers in the library of Castle Black. But again, that’s good.

jouzinka

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. FLYING. FUCK?!

Barristan Selmy was NOT. SUPPOSED. TO. HAPPEN?!

:o

jouzinka