How to boost the internet signal without moving the PC?

Started by Mymar, May 22, 2015, 03:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymar

My PC is mostly a gaming machine now, and I don't need it other than that. Some games require an internet connection and mine is quite fickle. It doesn't take much to make it disappear. Are there any tricks or programs I can find that will help? Or do I need a repeater? I can't move the PC because the power outlets are where they are. So anything I can try that's cheap or free world be great.

Oreo

Phoneline is very cheap (sample). Is there any possibility of moving the router closer to the PC?

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Thesunmaid

It all sort of depends on if you have a wired or wireless connection. Wired if you have a router(which I am assuming you have if not please feel free to correct me) run a long cable to the computer. I had to so the same thing with my work computer which is in the back bedroom literally on the other side of my house from the router/modem. You can buy ethernet cables long enough and many places you can even have the made for you what ever length you need.

Or..if you have a shitty wireless signal with a router/modem like I do. My wireless signal in my back bedroom was terrible. It was constantly dropping and i was barely getting 2 bars on a good day. I plugged in my dlink wireless router(wireless routers are pretty cheap. I recommend d link as I have never had a problem with this brand) in and then ran another shorter cable to my work computer which has to be wired to work properly and my wireless signal is full bars for my wireless now. I can get wireless in any room in my house and even out into the yard and back parking lot with 3 solid bars.

I hope this was helpful in some way.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Mymar

I've got a big old house, the walls are rather thick, and the connection is good, I just think it has something to do with that. Would a repeater help in my case? It's a wireless rather than wired. I tried Ethernet cables, and found out I'd been rolling over it with my chair, so that's a no go.

Rogue

unfortunately I'd recommend a longer cord and running it properly along the walls or the ceiling. If you're on wireless and gaming, you're going to have a bad time.

Tsenta

Wireless is only doable with gaming when you're like in the same room with the router to be honest, I run wireless too and the walls are paper thin in my house. Signal's good but the delay's just not worth the try to game in any other rooms that the router's not in.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Ssieth

Quote from: Mymar on May 22, 2015, 11:18:24 PM
I've got a big old house, the walls are rather thick, and the connection is good, I just think it has something to do with that. Would a repeater help in my case? It's a wireless rather than wired. I tried Ethernet cables, and found out I'd been rolling over it with my chair, so that's a no go.

If it's reliability of connection that's an issue then a repeater would probably help.  It's worth noting that it's often cheaper to buy a wireless router that supports range extension modes rather than buying a dedicated repeater (routers tend to be cheaper).  Relocating the router itself can often help, even if it's relocation within the same room (try it at different height levels for instance).

For my own house - we have an extension and the signal doesn't travel well through what used to be an exterior wall.  The solution I've put in place is a second router connected to the primary via power-line modems to form what is effectively a wired connection.  It works well enough for what I need (using my phone in the bedroom to watch Netflix and browse the web etc).  Given the quality of connection I'd expect it to work well enough for gaming that doesn't require trigger reflexes.
Posting Status: Hoping for 1-3 per week / game
My ONs and OFFs Page (8th April 2024)
One-on-one ideas (8th April 2024)
Possible Absences (13th November 2023)

My Tampermonkey Script for Elliquiy

PM me here or find me as ssieth on discord.

CuriousEyes

I had mixed results with a WiFi extender - it worked at first, but very quickly broke down and the replacement I purchased didn't work.

I've heard of something called powerline adapters which somehow manage to allow you to run internet connectivity through your electrical outlets, but I've heard generally that you lose a bit in connection speed. Alternatively, I don't know if anyone asked about how old your current router is - generally speaking the advance of technology improves range and signal strength, so if it's more than 2 - 3 years old you might get a boost just by replacing it.

Of course none of it, like others have said, would really be a substitute for just running ethernet properly - which might be the most cost-effective option as well.