News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Don't You Hate it When in an P&P RPG...

Started by LunarSage, October 30, 2012, 11:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsenta

Quote from: Slywyn on December 01, 2012, 12:38:49 PM
Oooh.

See, I understood it as being, like, DNd but played online. Like, gather a few friends and play through pre-created adventures, with the computer or site being the "dm".

Or something.

There are a handful of programs that allows people to play D&D and other P&P RPGs over the internet.  OpenRPG is a good one. They allow you to use maps, character sheets, dice rollers, etc.   So people can indeed get together and play a full D&D campaign online. :P
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Oniya

I'd still 'count' that as P&P to some degree (although the guy who never brings munchies or similar contributions is seriously SOL in that case).  I'd also count 'System' games here as P&P to a similar degree.  Maybe I'm just strange that way.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slywyn

Quote from: Tsenta on December 01, 2012, 11:09:39 PM
There are a handful of programs that allows people to play D&D and other P&P RPGs over the internet.  OpenRPG is a good one. They allow you to use maps, character sheets, dice rollers, etc.   So people can indeed get together and play a full D&D campaign online. :P

I did some googling and found a few. :3
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Sasquatch421

Way back when my group at NAS Pensacola had ended up mixing Vampire the Masquerade, D&D with some Battletech. To this day I'm still not sure how we pulled it off, but it was kind of fun. Though the one day our usual GM had duty, so one of the others tried their hand at the GM role.... I can stand some comedy in a game, but this guy... My big bad Brujah ended up facing off with like 15 fairies whose only goal seemed to be flying into every orifice my character had. My roles sucked that day as well so yeah...

I definitely was happy when the regular GM got off and could run a usual campaign which that night ended up being a LARP.

TheGlyphstone

Vampire + Battletech sounds like an awesome idea, actually.

Moraline

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 02, 2012, 09:56:41 AM
Vampire + Battletech sounds like an awesome idea, actually.

It is an awesome idea. They call it Palladium's RIFTS.

.. Here's another pet peeve.  When someone joins the game and only shows up about once every 2 or 3 times that you get together to play. It's soo frustrating. I know life does that to people but it doesn't stop it from being frustrating. Or even worse when a GM starts a mega campaign - gets a couple play sessions in then drops off the face of the Earth. Then suddenly pops back into the sessions unannounced expecting everyone to drop what they are doing and pick up the GM's game again.

Of course that is probably because usually when we adventured the stories had massive overarching plots that would often takes months to get through. That was just how we liked it.

LunarSage

Quote from: KaylaM on December 03, 2012, 05:51:35 AM
RIFTS is every Genre you can think of stuffed into a blender and set to awesome.

It's an awesome setting but with about the shittiest system ever made.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

TheGlyphstone

World of Synnibar and FATAL excluded, right?

LunarSage

You can't deny that the Palladium system is one of the worst, though.  This is from someone who started gaming with Heroes Unlimited and RIFTS.  Balance doesn't exist in RIFTS.

Moraline

This is the argument that I had previously. I love the Palladium system.

There isn't supposed to be class balance. That's the point. In real life when a guy with a hand gun faces off against a tank with a mounted machine gun on it, he doesn't stand a chance. He's not supposed to stand a chance!

The system in my opinion is balanced the way it should be. To me that is the real balance.

- A normal human can't fight a Vampire unless he can find a weapon to balance the odds.
- A normal human can't fight against a giant robot with missles and a massive energy cannon unless he can find a weapon to balance the odds.
- etc etc etc...

That's the fun in the system. You have to think, work and find ways to solve problems and do things to even the odds. Also, players need to use some common sense when playing. (ex: if someone takes an aimed shot with a sniper rifle and shoots a human through the head - they are dead. You don't need to roll damage.)

Also when grouping characters the GM isn't supposed to put tiny little human people together with massively super powered demi-gods unless it's meant to be some part of the story line.

Keep in mind here, I'm a story driven role player and GM. My role playing never involves battle simulation or turn based strategy.

Which leads to my next pet peeve when doing table top role playing.. players with no imagination.

All they see is the paper in front of them and the numbers on it. Another one is the miniatures that people obsess over - that's one of the many reasons I don't play with them and don't like miniatures - far too often all people can think about are the little statues and how many freaking blocks they can move next. It's a shame because I think the little things are cool but people get fixated on them and lose their imaginations.

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on December 03, 2012, 07:07:58 AM
It's an awesome setting but with about the shittiest system ever made.

It is nothing more than AD&D 2e homebrewed, with lot's of odd rules.  Some of which are undefined or rewritten.  Like the recent (for its age compared to the system) -10 to Dodge bullets, lasers and other fast projectiles.  At one point you couldn't add anything other than your base stat bonus, if you had any.  Then you could add all your bonuses.  Then you could add none, then back to full bonuses.

Did you also know that until very recently there was no way to adjudicate perception?  And those very rules still aren't hammered down.

Here's a fun fact for you, and this happened regularly in my RIFTs game:  A five man crew with Coalition class (as in the MDC) armour, armed with old C-12 (or was it the C-14s?  I forget), could take down most North American mechs in ONE round.  Oh yes, they had missiles that could target out to miles, but if your radar couldn't track out past 1000ft, your not firing any of them at all.  According to the rules.  And the average rifle had an effective range of about 2000ft, if I remember correctly.  Waste of military funds to invest in a robot that a mere squad of soldiers or banditos can destroy in about 15 seconds.  Especially that for the same price you could house, feed and still pay four full squads for the price of one UAR-1 robot.  With added survivability.

The issue with the Palladium system is dependent on you the Player.  How much of it do you want ignore?  How much of it will you modify to 'make it work' for you?  And what's the limit of either before you throw your hands into the air and say "Fuck it" and go to another system that would work better for you.

Only one person can decide that.  And that is YOU.  And each persons limit is different.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 30, 2012, 10:54:38 PM
Guess what alignment I don't allow in any game I run?

Dis make sad. D:

Just started my first ever D&D game last week and, must admit, I was considering LE for my first character: monk, courtesan profession, figured she could come up with all manner of ways to manipulate clients and other folk into twisting situations to her unfair advantage with the proper leverage.

Decided to go neutral, though. Seemed a little ambitious to deal with that layer of possibly destructive self-interest on top of learning how gaem werk.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

Well, to be fair, Glyph said he didn't allow people to play EEEEEEVIL.

Looks to me like you've still got at least 5 more E's to go!  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

Yeah...by the standards of the people who caused me to make that rule, you've just described someone who could multiclass to Paladin and take Exalted feats.

Shjade

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 04, 2012, 11:42:08 AM
Yeah...by the standards of the people who caused me to make that rule, you've just described someone who could multiclass to Paladin and take Exalted feats.

I...I don't know what half of that means. D:
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

LunarSage

You have to be Lawful Good to be a Paladin and you have to pretty much be a saint to take Exalted feats.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: LunarSage on December 04, 2012, 06:06:33 PM
You have to be Lawful Good to be a Paladin and you have to pretty much be a saint to take Exalted feats.

Pretty much. So compared to the 'EEEEEVIL' that I'm used to, your manipulative twisty monk-courtesan is a candidate for sainthood.

LunarSage

...when the GM doesn't want to let his or her players use Detect Magic or Detect Evil? 

"Uh... you activate the spell and you're blinded by the awesome power of the magic/evil in the area.  Make a Fort save".

TheGlyphstone

Yeah...there's so many trivial ways to foil Detect spells as plot-breakers, you should never need to resort to ham-handedness. If they turn on Detect X and are blasted by the overwhelming aura, that should be an important piece of information, not just arbitrarily shutting off their power.

Oniya

Occasionally, that's because the player should know better (for example, casting 'Detect Magic' in the town's magical item shop, or 'Detect Evil' in the Temple of Elemental Evil.)

uncletuku

When the GM gives a challenge that is easy in his mind because he is old enough to have played with gygax as a GM (And Has played with gygax) then scolds the players because they didn't think of the proper way to defeat the monster.

We had something happen in the desert....Long narrow (5 ft across) staircase down to a tomb where there was some mummy creature that put off a heat aurora. Combat took forever but we won with no casualties but after the fight was over the GM was like  "Come on guys how did you not see the obvious solution .....Go stand outside and attack from range, he could not leave the tomb anyway!"  It turned a fun hard fought battle agianst a seemingly insurmountable foe into an annoying memory of that scolding.

Its your first time GMing and your players throw things at you on purpose just to throw you for a loop.

NotoriusBEN

I've been guilty of that.

It was near the end of a campaign, and we had to storm a castle on a precarious cliff side. We stormed the gates with our NPC forces over a bridge that if spanned over nothingness. If you fell, it was pretty much a death sentence. Lo and behold, as we started hitting the gate, the giant golem statue animated and started wreaking house. The thing was pretty tough, since you couldnt crit them and any smart super villan put wards on it to keep em from being instagibed. In essence, it was supposed to be a fight on par with any of Kratos v. what god. You climb the thing, hit runes on it, trip it up or something.

I had a few beers so I wasn't thinking in my right state of mind, and I thought I had a brilliant idea. I said "Fuck this noise." and promptly cast a Disintegration Ray at ground around the golem's feet. The ground that was a bridge over nothingness. Huge boss fight that's supposed to take the rest of the night is over in like 10seconds and I got everyone looking at me like I'm bigger that Gandalf. Everyone just laughed the rest of the night thinking about where this golem fell to and how it probably dropped on a couple goblin guards pulling night shift.

Oniya

Yep.  Been there.  Evil mage was trying to control my scout character, and the GM went into the traditional 'Evil Overlord MonologueTM' culminating in 'Come to me, my child.' with his hand stretched out.  We'd been told that we could only defeat this guy if we attacked him between two magic mirrors.  I made my saving throw and said 'M___?  Is his hand between the mirrors?'  The GM looked at his own outstretched hand, and promptly clapped it to his forehead.

Atarn

I'll add one of my own here:
When the GM expects the players to do everything by the book, but uses a truckload of weird homebrew stuff for NPCS.
In a DnD campaign I'm in the enemy uses Godly Magic or Technology, neither which can be affected by the players "arcane" magic. However they can affect the PC's just fine.
It's like you're playing DnD, but the GM is using BESM for his characters.
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Skynet

I don't like it when I invest a lot of Character Points/effort to make my character good at social skills, only for the GM to negate it by saying that I have to come up with a sublimely excellent argument to convince other NPCs to do something.  I don't need to know how to pick a lock to play a Thief, or how to swing a sword to play a warrior; PCs are often more talented at stuff than the players, why not allow PCs to be more charming as well?