I really don't know what to say to this...but I think Farnsworth sums it up nice

Started by Wolfy, September 22, 2011, 12:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I hate to have to be the cynic here, but 2500 is a small number compared to the number of people who will be driven from their homes or die if climate change is not taken seriously. I haven't been following what Al Gore has been doing, but whether you like him and his methods or not, he's trying to make people aware that, hey, we're killing our planet. Because that is worthy of "I don't want to live on this planet anymore", in a frighteningly literal sense.

Missy

2 500 may be a "relatively small number", but this woman deserves recognition for a lot more than Al Gore does.

I mean Al Gore doesn't deserve that recognition as much as she does until he has had the ruling authority break both his legs and beat him for doing what he thinks is right at great personal risk.

Is Al Gore even half as deserving as she is? I think not.

Brave actions in the face of cruel punishment is greater than a slideshow, every time.

Also: Great Futurama reference, I love the professor!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 22, 2011, 11:13:03 AM
I hate to have to be the cynic here, but 2500 is a small number compared to the number of people who will be driven from their homes or die if climate change is not taken seriously. I haven't been following what Al Gore has been doing, but whether you like him and his methods or not, he's trying to make people aware that, hey, we're killing our planet. Because that is worthy of "I don't want to live on this planet anymore", in a frighteningly literal sense.
I suppose we should give him one for inventing the interwebs too?

Nobel Peace Prize. I'd have given it to the more peace-oriented cause. Not forty or fifty years of climatology data trying to predict the environmental patterns of a sixty-million-year-old planet. Even if you don't agree with me on that, I'm still going to say if anyone deserves a medal for global warming awareness it's an actual climatologist and not some politician.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 22, 2011, 11:28:24 AM
Nobel Peace Prize. I'd have given it to the more peace-oriented cause. Not forty or fifty years of climatology data trying to predict the environmental patterns of a sixty-million-year-old planet. Even if you don't agree with me on that, I'm still going to say if anyone deserves a medal for global warming awareness it's an actual climatologist and not some politician.

Climate change has everything to do with peace. What happens when millions are driven from their homes as refugees in the least developed and least peaceful parts of the world? We're already fighting wars over fresh water, and it's only going to get worse.

Quote from: MCsc on September 22, 2011, 11:25:03 AM
2 500 may be a "relatively small number", but this woman deserves recognition for a lot more than Al Gore does.

I mean Al Gore doesn't deserve that recognition as much as she does until he has had the ruling authority break both his legs and beat him for doing what he thinks is right at great personal risk.

Is Al Gore even half as deserving as she is? I think not.

Brave actions in the face of cruel punishment is greater than a slideshow, every time.

You may feel that way, personally, but that is not how the Peace Prize is awarded.

Furthermore, it wasn't even given to Al Gore alone. To single him out is a bit of an underhanded tactic.

Missy

I wasn't singling out.

I wasn't following the Nobel Peace Prize.

All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything near as deserving of recognition as this woman has.

Look, you want him to get a prize, I want people who have done something courageous and worthy of recognition.

There's no reason to go about attacking people's ethics and person over a simple disagreement in opinion. It won't get you what you want, I can assure you of that.

Oniya

Actually, the true tragedy is the part before that last sentence.  You could chop that final sentence out of the article, and it would be just as outrageous.

There are multiple Nobel prizes handed out each year, in a variety of fields.  The global warming project could have been given a Nobel Prize for something science related - or not gotten a Nobel Prize at all, and the fact that this woman didn't get a Nobel Prize after being nominated would be just as much of a statement about what is considered 'prize-worthy'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: MCsc on September 22, 2011, 11:58:27 AM
I wasn't singling out.

I wasn't following the Nobel Peace Prize.

All I'm saying is he hasn't done anything near as deserving of recognition as this woman has.

Look, you want him to get a prize, I want people who have done something courageous and worthy of recognition.

There's no reason to go about attacking people's ethics and person over a simple disagreement in opinion. It won't get you what you want, I can assure you of that.

The whole point of the picture in the opening post was that Al Gore got a Peace Prize for making a slide show, as opposed to this woman who actually did something. The problem with that is that it wasn't just Al Gore, but Al Gore and the IPCC. That comment was not directed at you. This was always about the Peace Prize, however, so again, your personal views of who is more deserving in an entirely subjective way don't make Al Gore and the IPCC less deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Missy

Quote from: Hemingway on September 22, 2011, 12:57:06 PM
The whole point of the picture in the opening post was that Al Gore got a Peace Prize for making a slide show, as opposed to this woman who actually did something. The problem with that is that it wasn't just Al Gore, but Al Gore and the IPCC. That comment was not directed at you. This was always about the Peace Prize, however, so again, your personal views of who is more deserving in an entirely subjective way don't make Al Gore and the IPCC less deserving of the Nobel Peace Prize.

If your not directing a comment at a person, do not quote their comments and instead direct it at the thread in general.

Further, stop laying down personal attacks. Have a good day, Sir.

Slaven

This is sad, but I do think Hemingway has a point. besides that, it's not Al Gore's fault that he was given the prize.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Hemingway

Quote from: MCsc on September 22, 2011, 01:25:22 PM
Further, stop laying down personal attacks. Have a good day, Sir.

Pointing out that something is your opinion rather than fact, and that your opinion does not change the facts, is not an attack.

You claimed she was more deserving, because what she did, she did at great personal risk. Since that is not how the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded to someone, your opinion that she is more deserving is just that - your opinion. I argued that Al Gore and the IPCC, whose work could potentially ( I fear it's too late for that, but hypothetically speaking ) save or at least help millions, and is very much related to conflict - and peace - actually did deserve the Peace Prize. Which, of course, was the point of the picture - that Al Gore had done nothing to deserve it. I think that's a very reasoned argument - I wouldn't be making it otherwise - and certainly not an attack against you.

Missy

If I've misunderstood you, sir, then I apologize.

In my defense you did use terms such as "underhanded" and "subjective" I think I am well within the bounds of appropriate criticism when I say you should probably be more careful about such terminologies.

I can accept your opinion, however, treat mine with respect. Do not belittle it, lest you end up the one appearing "underhanded".

Shjade

MC, pointing out that your opinion doesn't change reality isn't disrespectful. It's just true.

Further, becoming defensive and hostile because you misinterpreted a comment that was fairly obvious in being directed at the writer of the article in the OP rather than your post only makes you look overly sensitive. When I notice this in myself, I find a glass of cool water can be very helpful.

The article's clearly designed to exaggerate the "injustice" of this woman not receiving a peace prize with that description of Al Gore's award for "giving a powerpoint presentation." It's one-sided and intended to create that "how could he deserve this more than her" effect regardless of whether that feeling is accurate. The actual circumstances of this event take a backseat to the writer's intent in this instance; it's all in how the story is framed.

That said, I'd love to know how her story went over in the discussion among the folks who decide who gets the award. Was she a close contender? Was she not taken seriously for an option at all? Where'd the nomination come from? Why'd they go with the global warming information angle instead? Etc.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Missy

Well, I know that I'm not perfect and I can see how the article coloured my opinion a bit more than it probably should have.

Sorry, Hem (may I call you "Hem") didn't mean to come off wrong or anything.

There probably is a lot more to it than that.

I really think recognition should go to the most selfless people. I don't think number of people count so much as whether it was about the people or the "central"(?) character that was most important to the "central" character. Not sure how selfless Al Gore is though so I can't really say much on that.

Oniya

We also should remember that no nominee puts him or herself up for nomination.  Obama took a lot of heat for winning a Nobel Peace prize early in his administration, for similar rationalizations that 'he didn't deserve it'.  The Nobel Peace prize is not about self-aggrandizement - Al Gore had just as much to do with his nomination as Obama did.

Which is to say, none.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Missy

Well yeah, but I mean Al Gore is the guy who "invented the internet".

Which isn't really a lot to say and certainly not incriminating of a person all by itself, it just would lead me to wonder is all. Obviously I would need to do a bit more digging to reach a more precise conclusion.

Oniya

Quote from: MCsc on September 22, 2011, 03:24:09 PM
Well yeah, but I mean Al Gore is the guy who "invented the internet".

Which isn't really a lot to say and certainly not incriminating of a person all by itself, it just would lead me to wonder is all. Obviously I would need to do a bit more digging to reach a more precise conclusion.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 22, 2011, 11:47:04 AM
Climate change has everything to do with peace. What happens when millions are driven from their homes as refugees in the least developed and least peaceful parts of the world? We're already fighting wars over fresh water, and it's only going to get worse.

You may feel that way, personally, but that is not how the Peace Prize is awarded.

Furthermore, it wasn't even given to Al Gore alone. To single him out is a bit of an underhanded tactic.
I didn't single him out. The article did that for me. It says, he was awarded it over this philanthropic woman. I don't buy that. If anyone should get it it should be an actual climatologist not some politician who exempted China from any environmental standards because they're considered "third-world".

Shjade

Quote from: Inkidu on September 22, 2011, 04:59:48 PM
I didn't single him out. The article did that for me.

Which is a bit of an underhanded tactic for the article to employ.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on September 22, 2011, 04:59:48 PM
I didn't single him out. The article did that for me. It says, he was awarded it over this philanthropic woman. I don't buy that. If anyone should get it it should be an actual climatologist not some politician who exempted China from any environmental standards because they're considered "third-world".

I was talking about the article. By phrasing it in such a way, you can make anything sound unfair. And like I've said, it wasn't Al Gore alone. Al Gore wouldn't be able to do anything without actual scientists, but he didn't swoop in and steal all their credit, either.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on September 22, 2011, 05:13:23 PM
I was talking about the article. By phrasing it in such a way, you can make anything sound unfair. And like I've said, it wasn't Al Gore alone. Al Gore wouldn't be able to do anything without actual scientists, but he didn't swoop in and steal all their credit, either.
Well, you never hear about them... in anything. That might just be media bias or Gore's own ego at work here, I don't know. I know it's a committee that decides and there has probably been some baksheesh and palm grease to go around throughout the years. I honestly will never think he did anything to deserve it by himself. 

Sabby

Really? 20 responses and not one irrelevent posting of the ManBearPig? I am disappoint :(

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on September 22, 2011, 11:58:53 PM
Really? 20 responses and not one irrelevent posting of the ManBearPig? I am disappoint :(
There you go, Sabby.

Wyrd

Ragtime Dandies!