Is all writing actually like this?

Started by Mymar, July 18, 2016, 07:20:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mymar

I've been working on my musical writing skills lately as it's been a long time since I've done it regularly, and I finally have a decent way of accomplishing my musical goals now. I've noticed that I will start an idea either on my piano, or in the program with the idea of doing one thing, but it will inevitably turn into something completely different. For instance the first thing I started I wanted to sound like a heavy metal song, but wound up sounding more like a rock song written for a video game in the 90s. Do all writers of all kinds of art go through this?

Twisted Crow

In relation to writing fiction? Well, to speak for myself, here... I think I can say it could be relative. I mean, I remember constantly writing drafts for a story and many of them came out as if it were written like a screenplay or a script in a video game. The story contents and formula were all there, but the presentation was simply... different. Maybe or maybe not quite what you could be referring to?

I couldn't say every writer has this problem (as I am only one man), but I feel like I can safely say that I do. Or I can relate to moments that are comparable to that, I suppose? And I'm willing to bet I'm not alone, either. I have some theories on how this can happen but... nothing that I feel would be sound. Just... speculation and hypothesis, really.  :-)

Inkidu

I find it is. My writing is often several little bits and pieces that are squished together with time to create these infinitesimal points of light. :P
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Sometimes ideas take on a life of their own.  I once tried to write a character that (as a representative of the 'Spirit' element) was supposed to be androgynous and somewhat reserved/aloof.  He ended up being the biggest flirt and prankster in the whole story!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Twisted Crow

One theory on how I do this myself is due to my range of interests. I like video games, I like tabletop roleplaying and I also love movies and stage plays. While I also like books, it can sometimes be difficult to control how I visualize the story in my mind. Sometimes I can think I'm writing something ideal for a novel, then before I know it the story is practically writing itself in the format of a stage script. Perhaps because I visualize a scene in how it could be for a play (for some reason). I wouldn't know how that would translate in terms of writing music, but I wonder if it might be similar. As in... perhaps asking yourself where you picture this music? Hmmmm.

I don't know... but it's an interesting thought on how this happens, either way. :-)

RedRose

Sometimes my writing just flows in the right direction, and sometimes I have to make an effort to keep the character in-character. Of course sometimes I actually change my mind and decide the new direction will be better anyway. :D
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Lady Shadow

Ideas are fluid, like music, words are an art. Usually when writing a story or a even a blog piece relating to my life, I often write it out and go back and change the title because the material turns out being something totally different than what I intended. Interesting topic though, I think it deserves a bump!
Rhythm is something you either have or don't have, but when you have it, you have it all over.
Ambition is like a V8 engine.
~Elvis Presley~