What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capone

Oddly enough, I just bought Skyward Sword today, and the only real reason is because Other M and Super Mario 3D Land have been so good (gameplay wise) that I feel Nintendo may be on a winning streak. Mario Kart 7 has also been pre-ordered.

I agree in a lot of ways that Ocarina of Time is given a lot more credit than it deserves from fans (after all, A Link to the Past is the best in the franchise, clearly :P ), but playing it again on the 3DS, the game is still incredibly solid. What actually irritates me is how some of the forgivable lack of polish OoT has persists up to Twilight Princess. Navigating a 3D environment is a lot more difficult in a Zelda game than it ought to be.

Still going through Halo CE Anniversary, busy collecting the final star coins in Super Mario 3D Land. It's a fantastic game.

Sabby

Well, this has been an interesting few weeks. I'm drawing comparisons between the new Assassin's Creed and Modern Warfare games, and while neither is the pinnacle of their respective trilogies, they're both satisfying wrap ups to their stories. By themselves, I wouldn't have been too impressed, but as final chapters, they managed to hit me in the right places.

Sabby

Holy fuck this is fun o__o playing that Spec Ops thing... usually when I beat the campaign, I don't touch the game until I wanna replay the campaign. But this is fucking great! I'm hitting up people around town to system link. I really wanna see a Stargate mod of this.

Capone

Is the Spec Ops a new Player vs Player mode, or is it co-op?

I grabbed the new Zelda, but as my Wii is in the family room, I have to wait for it to be empty of family to play it.

Sabby

It's one of those never ending fight modes. You pick a level, and just survive as long as you can. The waves get tougher each time, and you get 30 seconds between each wave, so you can buy perks, guns, upgrade the guns, upgrade armour, get turrets, air strikes, or find a new spot to hunker down. I'm only playing by myself, but it's pretty fun. Can't wait to system link it. Two team mates. It's guna be a riot.

So far, on the easy maps, I've had regular guys, attack dogs, suicide bombers, tougher guys, choppers, heavies who just wade through anything, and guys with riot shields. One time I legged it over a bridge and dropped a C4 charge as I did. A dozen guys following me, cross the bridge. Click. Boom. And half were suicide bombers, so proceed with the random exploding ragdolls!

Capone

Sabby

Inkidu

Assassin's Creed: Revelations has put my nerd-rage meter to maximum. You know why?

Tower-defense games! God, I hate that stupid defend the base mini-game. It just is so unfair!

First time. Good, set up my killing fields blow them away with Ezio's hand-cannon. Screwed up the last wave so I used my triple cannon shot. Greek fire steam engine just mows right over everything.

Okay, my bad. I get it, I used the cannon.

Go back next time. Set up better killing fields, more barricades, heavier focus on gunmen, save the triple cannon shot. Hit it while it's stopped for max damage still blows through all my planning and destroys my base.

What makes it all worse is that the mini-game is absolutely useless. I lose, I literally walk out the door and gank the templar commander and the base is mine again for nothing while they lost hundreds of men in an all-out assault. I might lose my den leader (I don't know I rage quit after losing), but so what? There are dozens of people ready to be level tenners already!

For the love of fuck!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Capone

I sometimes wonder if games get unnecessarily complicated. That was my first thought when jumping into Arkham City, at least. It just seemed to add so much more complexity than was necessary. I still feel this way in a few ways, but a lot of those abilities you didn't have to master or weren't forced to use (sans a single boss fight). So it wasn't TOO bad if you were a more casual player.

Still, sitting down with Super Mario 3D Land and its simplicity in comparison, and how a number of the advanced techniques are hidden yet easy to find...I dunno. It seems like a lot of developers get lost in wanting to stuff more and more in there, and wanting it to be so complex, and yet it's not all necessary.

Which is pretty much one of the reasons I haven't jumped into AC: Brotherhood yet.

Wolfy

Quote from: Capone on November 23, 2011, 09:05:10 PM
I sometimes wonder if games get unnecessarily complicated. That was my first thought when jumping into Arkham City, at least. It just seemed to add so much more complexity than was necessary. I still feel this way in a few ways, but a lot of those abilities you didn't have to master or weren't forced to use (sans a single boss fight). So it wasn't TOO bad if you were a more casual player.

Still, sitting down with Super Mario 3D Land and its simplicity in comparison, and how a number of the advanced techniques are hidden yet easy to find...I dunno. It seems like a lot of developers get lost in wanting to stuff more and more in there, and wanting it to be so complex, and yet it's not all necessary.

Which is pretty much one of the reasons I haven't jumped into AC: Brotherhood yet.

Well you're supposed to play Arkham Asylum first.

If you played AA, you'll know most of the gadgets and the controls really well. :P

Capone

That's not completely true. I was playing Arkham Asylum the weeks leading up to Arkham City on Xbox 360, and then I got AC on PS3 so I could lend it out to friends. The controls are slightly different.

Even then, though, just the mindset of going from a Metroid/Resident Evil style facility of exploration to an open world Assassin's Creed style game where all the Riddler trophies are more complicated (and a lot of stuff is never explained), it's still overwhelming.

Of course, in the end I enjoyed the game a lot, but having played games for 20+ years I can adapt. I keep thinking to myself "no wonder people never venture beyond the Wii's party games. Everything's so complicated"

Sabby

Okay, when I heard Saints Row 3 would involve an orbital laser (that's no spoiler, it's just what I 'heard') I knew it was going to be crazy, but...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I can call a zombie horde with my mobile phone, then get on a hoverbike with a minigun and go to my next mission where I have a tank battle whilst falling from a plane.

And then, I get this one scene which seems to sum up the entire game for me.

Backing up my buddy in a pay per view wrestling match, he gets swarmed by a few dozen wrestlers. "Oh, it's not looking good for Angel! Wait! Here comes The Stillwater Butcher, with... a CHAINSAW?! WTF!"

I lol'd so hard xD that WTF?! is the entire game to me.

Also...

Johny Gat appears to die in the first level. It was an off screen death, so I assumed he'd come back. Maybe as a cyborg programmed to kill the Saints (hey, at this point, it's plausible) but I just checked Wiki and yeah... he's dead. Johny Gat is dead. Johny fucking Gat, the fucking star of Saints Row, died off screen. Fuck you Saints Row 3!

Sabby

So... we now have...

Open street warfare between The Saints, The Luchadores, and a private army, Stag. The entire street is clogged with jeeps and cars, which are constantly arriving to drop off more people, jets crashing, heavies stomping around with miniguns or grenade launchers, air strikes coming in, giant clones hurling cars, enough lasers (yes, lasers) to make it look like some sort of rave, and then out of no where, a tank crashes through a pile of cars.

And I think to myself, gee, this isn't nearly hectic enough. No, this could use further escalation. Just lemme get my ZOMBIE HORDE on the phone and ask them to lend a hand.

deamonata

This is only one game I am playing at the moment

SKYRIM!!! dragon slaying forever!!

Geeklet

Currently going through the Secret of Monkey Island, thanks to the STEAM weekend sale.

Hemingway

I finally got to try Arkham City. PC controls aren't so bad, and I like a lot of the changes from Arkham Asylum. I like that it's darker than the last game, which is sort of a feat in itself. I wish it was more linear, though. I'm not a huge fan of challenges and collecting trophies and running around, so usually I end up ignoring most of the side stuff .. unless it's actually interesting. I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about having to play Catwoman.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 26, 2011, 02:49:49 PM
I finally got to try Arkham City. PC controls aren't so bad, and I like a lot of the changes from Arkham Asylum. I like that it's darker than the last game, which is sort of a feat in itself. I wish it was more linear, though. I'm not a huge fan of challenges and collecting trophies and running around, so usually I end up ignoring most of the side stuff .. unless it's actually interesting. I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about having to play Catwoman.
I liked playing as Catwoman personally. She has the speed. Normally she can hit an guy who's about to attack her before they do, without counter, but with the freeflow focus upgrade her speed becomes so much better.

Batman looks like a brute in comparison.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Playing "The Old Republic" Beta.

Ask me anything. @_@

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 26, 2011, 10:23:10 PM
I liked playing as Catwoman personally. She has the speed. Normally she can hit an guy who's about to attack her before they do, without counter, but with the freeflow focus upgrade her speed becomes so much better.

Batman looks like a brute in comparison.

I like being a brute. I like the slow motion finishers where you can practically hear ribs and skulls shattering. It's especially awful ( in a good way ), when you see him deliver a bone-shattering punch to the enemy's groin. It's like ... I don't even know if that's intentional, but damn!

I've still got it, though. I managed to get out the Penguin's gladiator pit without getting hit. Just an endless combo until the last guy was knocked out. That was pretty cool.

Capone

Playing as Catwoman is a bitch in the later parts of the game. She has less health which means you got to be stealthier, but simply navigating as her is worse. It's much easier to maneuver around the environment as Batman.

Some people like playing as Catwoman, but I'm simply not a fan.

Wolfy

So yeah..Torn between what I want to be...Jedi Sentinel, or Sith Sorcerer...both Storylines are well done. D:

Hemingway

Huh. Arkham City's bosses are so-so, but Mr. Freeze was pretty damn cool, making it so that you can only use a given strategy once.

Sabby

I just love listening to people talk up Old Republic, make it sound like some revolution in MMO design... and then I see it, and it looks like World of Warcraft with Lightsabres. And cutscenes. Because that totally makes sense. A tailored story for every person in the game to experience the same way. That's how you support individualism in a mass social experience!

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on November 27, 2011, 11:58:56 AM
I just love listening to people talk up Old Republic, make it sound like some revolution in MMO design... and then I see it, and it looks like World of Warcraft with Lightsabres. And cutscenes. Because that totally makes sense. A tailored story for every person in the game to experience the same way. That's how you support individualism in a mass social experience!

Well of course.

I'm just wondering how it is at max level, when your storyline ends...after that, what is there? D:

Oniya

Quote from: Hemingway on November 27, 2011, 11:58:15 AM
Huh. Arkham City's bosses are so-so, but Mr. Freeze was pretty damn cool, making it so that you can only use a given strategy once.

I see what you did there.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17