Obama saved me $400 this morning.

Started by Vekseid, April 15, 2010, 03:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Well, the democrats did, anyway.

I needed that. If things go well I won't need it after it phases out.

Apparently looking at the earned income credit gradient, I'm also supposed to find and impregnate a womanmarry and start a family.

What I pay self employment tax for is basically for benefits that I will never see. The money goes from me to Social Security (which will not survive as is for another four decades) and Medicare (same). The government is basically looting the Social Security trust to help pay for its excess, and at least I benefit from that (ridiculous wars aside).

I'm curious what, exactly, I'm supposed to be angry at Obama and the democrats here for. I would benefit a great deal from the elimination of social security, of course, but the ones so vehemently opposing him seem to make use of it rather more than the rest of us. He wouldn't gain a great deal of support from them by repealing it. I'm not particularly convinced he'd get much support from them if he did everything they wanted.

The truth is, though, that over and despite republican opposition, the stimulus got pushed through, and myself and who knows how many other self employed did not have to make a choice between having a roof with shingles and a roof patrolled by jail wardens.

I do think it's important to hold the democratic party to a higher standard, too - that's what primaries are about - but the republicans made their position plenty clear, here.