Kalston Kamps - Superhero Gang War! [Now considering villains as well as heroes]

Started by Ramael, April 26, 2013, 04:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramael

GM UPDATE: Considering villainous characters as of now, and even a whole other team if we get another four players interested! See below for further information!

GM note - This game will be a superhero game with elements of Battle Royale, The Apprentice, Hunger Games, and will be like a Young Avengers/Young Justice meets the first year at college, with adventure camps elements.

Superheroes guard our streets and watch our skies. Their sidekicks are a regular sight in the press, on the TV, either under tutelage of an established hero or a graduate from a hero academy...except lately, there's been this thing called the recession.

Things have been tough all over...yes, even for superheroes.

Seems there's not a lot of money in crimefighting, unless you're already rich or don't need to eat. Things have also been tough for prisons, too...which is why a load of crimals and supervillains have been released into the quiet industrial town of Kalston.

Enter the Kalston Kamps, known unofficially as the superhero gang wars.

To give sidekicks and young wannabes a taste of the real world, give them some training and enhance their employability, (and also to justifiably keep a large population of criminals under relative control for free) they will form teams and undergo regular live training and real crimefighting excersises with very real threat. Each team will be pitted against each other to assess their individual skills and their capabilities to work in a group. Will they be the next Watchers? Who will become as famous as Vanguard?

YOUNG SUPERHERO/SIDEKICK PLAYERS

You are at least 18, but no older then 25.

You have been a sidekick to a semi-famous established superhero/heroine (of your creation) and have been sent to Kalston to train...or maybe you don't get on with your mentor and chose this route yourself?

OR

You are a potential recruit for an established superhero team (of your creation), and are going to Kalston to enhance your standings with that team, so you will definately get a place.

OR

You are a young wannabe starting out, figuring Kalston is as good a place as any to make a name for yourself and be taken seriously (also maybe to make some contacts/take some names!) maybe you graduated from a superhero academy only to find no job waiting for you on the other side?

Time to prove yourself, wannabe!

Villains - If we get enough hero interest, we can consider accepting applications for recently released nefarious villain/criminal options that lurk around Kalston, maybe enjoying their new life out in the open...even if they do have to fight a bunch of super-keen super-heads every now and then. Failing this, I already have villains in mind.

The method of Kalston Kamps is that if we get enough players to create two (or more! joy!) teams (of at least four heroes each) then we can pit them against each other in training sessions, alongside which there will be regular calls for all teams to respond to criminal/supervillain threats which will no doubt plague Kalston during the training period.

Of course, you're heroes, so when OFF the training field, you're encouraged to get to know your rivals! Eat with them, chat with them, play chess with them, do...whatever else you want with them.

You will get to come up with your own team names, and each candidate will get individual assessments after each mission/training session.

POWER LEVELS AND TYPES

I'm open to any kind of young superhero here. Only rules are that you must be a believable sidekick or newbie, ergo you will not have earth-shattering power or a billion-dollar armoured suit.

Power levels - think Spiderman, Batman, Daredevil...or perhaps more accurately, Nightwing, Kid Flash, Aqualad.

Lady Quixote

highly interested, with a few questions.  What's keeping the villains in check...I mean I'm sure they are trying to escape the city/prison because they are villains.  But what's stopping them from killing a hero/team of?

secondly what's the villain power level going to be like?  I'm way more interested in being a hero/heroine (I have some ideas floating around right now but that's neither here nor there), are there going to be an endless supply of low level thugs roaming the city commanded by larger known villains?  Or is it all "big" name villains?

Matt

Ramael

Quote from: mvo33 on April 26, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
highly interested, with a few questions.  What's keeping the villains in check...I mean I'm sure they are trying to escape the city/prison because they are villains.  But what's stopping them from killing a hero/team of?

secondly what's the villain power level going to be like?  I'm way more interested in being a hero/heroine (I have some ideas floating around right now but that's neither here nor there), are there going to be an endless supply of low level thugs roaming the city commanded by larger known villains?  Or is it all "big" name villains?

Matt

Hey!

First off, nothing's stopping them. Once the team(s) are in the field, they are on their own, and may very well take their lives in their hands. They won't always be in these sorts of missions (in theory), as they will go through proper training and sparring first. Back at the Kamp/s, which also form both a HQ and student dorms type facility, they are technically safe. Although any good sidekick will tell you that they don't need to feel safe - they need to make others feel safe!

Secondly, their power level is feasibly quite large - but not quite Magneto. That's the toppity top, all manner of power levels from downwards. There are groups of villains that have banded together, a couple of higher up villains have decided to strike alliances or form gangs of minions, and others have decided they are much more efficient on their own (or actually just want to be left alone). As such you're right, it would be far more rewarding at this stage to play a young hero.

Lady Quixote

ok great, I don't see any reason to not be in...if you'll have me. 

What's actually keeping the villains in the city?  Electronic frontier, or energy shield, teleporter?  I guess I'm kind of envisioning a Escape from New York type city...something where they dumped the criminals/villains to test against the heroes and are generally left to their own devices.

Right now my idea is from an older superheroine I played for awhile.  More dexterousness than strong, altered human (he was built with Marvel Superheroes rules...so think spiderman instead of cyclops) that generates plasma that he can shoot/control from any point of his body, super speed (can't remember how fast he was off the top of my head but more car like than any of the Flashes), and a personal shield that can take up to a assault rifle before it drops which has a chance of knocking him out for up to a minute...it's a rough outline but I would like to see who else we have in before really fleshing out my character (he might be a woman if we need more female heroes).

Matt

Ramael

What's keeping them in the city is a comparitively easy life. They have their own hideouts and semi-abandoned streets to roam and pick clean - it's more preferable to them than being in the high-security prisons they once were. Of course, during the course of the RP, if/when our heroes give them too much hassle, they may of course try to escape Kalston, which our teams will of course have to stop.

I had considered energy manipulators, and as long as you say they're not Cyclops-level, then that should be fine! Look forward to what you have in mind :)

Lady Quixote

what do you mean by Cyclops-level?  the vaporizing a sentinel when he rips his visor off, the spacial awareness aspect, or the ability to ricochet off objects?

I hope we get some other interested parties to come in.

Matt

Ramael

All of the above! Think more along the lines of what level would Cyclop's sidekick be at, then you'd be close.

And so do I! :)

Lemon Lime

I am sooo interested! I'm much more the super villain type but I can be a hero in training. Maybe she'll be unsure about the whole "do good" thing :P lol. Any who, if you will have me I would love to join! When thinking about characters/creating them are there any other specifics you'd like? This sounds like so much fun.
"And now, farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked."
-The Count of Monte Cristo

Lemon Lime's O/O          Lemon Lime's A/A

Ramael

Hey Lime!

I guess what you're asking can be basically summed up in a character sheet - I will get to work on it presently!

Lemon Lime

Quote from: Ramael on April 28, 2013, 02:25:05 PM
Hey Lime!

I guess what you're asking can be basically summed up in a character sheet - I will get to work on it presently!

haha That's probably true. I guess I just got a little eager.
"And now, farewell to kindness, humanity and gratitude. I have substituted myself for Providence in rewarding the good; may the God of vengeance now yield me His place to punish the wicked."

Ramael

Super alias: Feel free to splash colour around, here.

Age: With a seven-year age bracket, it might make a difference to those at the top and bottom ends of this.

Image/detailed description

Sidekick to a superhero/ine, or potential recruit to a superteam, or young wannabe? Fairly self explanatory, refer to my first post for more information. Go into a bit of detail if you'd like about your mentor/superteam, but make sure the focus is on your character. If these bits come particularly juicy, then perhaps we can stage cameos later in the game with visits from said mentors/superteams! In the same way, if someone decides with other players to have a "shared" supervillain that they have all fought outside of Kalston before, the same could apply.

Powers and abilities: Your mentor was a ninja who trained you? You have some form of telekinesis? You can fly? Anything here that makes you super, that includes "normal" abilities if they are used in a super way.

Why did you come to Kalston? Part of your biog, perhaps, but wanted this part distilled here seperately so it's easier to locate your character's drive and motive. Or perhaps lack of it.

Brief Biog: Including any crimefighting history, details of partnerships with mentor figures/others, perhaps you even know or have heard of other young superheroes that are also going to be at Kalston? How would your character feel about being partnered with them/put against them? Also, talk a bit about your characters personality. It's a big day in their life to come to Kalston, like the first day at school. How will they cope with it?

Favourite food: Cause I always like having this kind of thing in a character sheet. Also, it feasibly could be used as a part of a reward scheme in Kalston for the "top acheivers".

Lemon Lime

When we complete our character would you like us to PM it to you first before posting it here?

JamesSureWould

Ramael

Quote from: Lemon Lime on April 28, 2013, 06:43:56 PM
When we complete our character would you like us to PM it to you first before posting it here?

You can post it here, if you'd like. I like getting the juices flowing with other people able to see. If you'd rather, you can of course PM it to just me.

Quote from: JamesSureWould on April 28, 2013, 10:06:00 PM
oh this seems like it could be really cool. I'm in

Great! Any ideas on a character?

Lady Quixote

So my character might become female if we need to even out the genders...but still he should be pretty solid.

Super alias: Plasma

(I don't post pictures I don't own..sorry)  James is a rather average 19 year old.  Brown hair atop his head with an average build (he didn't get any superstrength, just some enhanced dex), at present his clothing is just jeans and a t-shirt.  He has yet to get an unstable molecule suit that will allow him to not burn off his cloths every time he uses his powers, Matron Magnificent said it's in the mail.

Sidekick to a superhero/ine, or potential recruit to a superteam, or young wannabe? The Magnificents, a five some featuring Matron Magnificent (Mr Fantastic like intelligence but she looks like Medusa from Marvel Comics), the Ice Twins (teenagers with Iceman like powers/abilities), The Black Devil (think Hellboy but black and without the right hand of doom and the ability to spit out a sticky tar like substance...created in the 1940's in an industrial accient but doesn't look a day over 23...married to Matron Magnificent), and some other woman...I'm drawing a blank on another heroine

Powers and abilities:  Plasma Generation: His body continues to generate a never ending supply of superhot plasma.  He can release a stream of plasma from any part of his body, but generally projects it from his hands.  At full power it's powerful enough to blast a hole in a tank, which is pretty cool usually but not so much in fighting crime where you have to temper each shot based upon the strength of your advisory, civilians in the area and fellow heroes.

Plasma Control:  eventually he can control his plasma enough to form shapes out of it, decrease plasma that might be uncontained to be more manageable, or even surround himself with plasma (like the Human Torch)...but at best he can hold some in his hands and mold it like clay that melts what ever it touches.

Hyperspeed:  Plasma is about 30% faster than the fastest human around, from running to heart rate to his metabolism, he can run at 90mph.  He also gained an increase in dexterity so that his enhanced speed is not a problem with his coordination.

Personal Shield: He can generate a shield that is capable of blocking most small arms fire and even an assault rifle but that will cause his shields to drop, reinstating his shield is a simple thing but he must be conscious to do that, which is a problem as every time his shields are forcefully taken down the feedback can knock him on his ass leaving him anywhere from unconscious to dazed for up to a minute.

Why did you come to Kalston? He is looking to learn to control his powers so that he can hopefully join the Magnificents, he was given just enough to keep him from burning down a building or killing someone by an accidental plasma discharge.

Brief Biog: James began his life as a regular old kid, dreamed of fighting evil as a superhero but for the most part he lived an average life until he was driving into work one day (fast food...nothing glamorous) when he was struck with an errant beam.  In another part of town the Evil Dr. Bourne was fighting the Stupendous Squid (think a good but fleshy Doc Ock) when he pushed the button on his new Mogrification Ray.  He has used several different versions of it before to create minions out of ordinary things.  After the errant beam James was rushed to the hospital unconscious, no one really knew what had really happened.  He remained in unconscious for about three days while his body under went a change.  His blood was becoming plasma (as in the superhot state of matter) flowing through his veins, his heart rate leapt seemingly to the point of failure, and randomly he would be enveloped in a shield that kept nurses from inserting IVs.  Blowing a hole in the ceiling when he coughed up a stream of purple plasma, it was then that they brought it the foremost on metahuman physiology, Matron Magnificent.  She had him transported to one of her examination rooms in the Magnificent Tower, she was able to determine that something happened to change his cells granting him his superpowers.

This was a dream come true, now James could be the hero he had always dreamed and joining The Magnificents (a Fantasic Four type group), but first he has to be trained and what better place to do that than Kalston Kamp.

Favourite food: almost anything Italian, with heavy garlic

Matt

Avalon29

This seems really interesting and I was wondering if I could join.

Here's a rough sketch of the character I had in mind was an angel based hero who has recently come into his powers. He’s come to Kalstan in order to figure out what he is and how to control his powers. His abilities are increased strength, durability, and dexterity as well as the ability to fly via wing manifestation. He’s also an empath.

Lemon Lime

Super alias: Voltaic

Image/detailed description:
Tall, slender, and fit. She has short, pixie cut, black hair and creamy white skin. Her eyes are a bright golden hazel and freckles dot her face and skin. She has a runners body and is tight and fit with small curves. She stands at about 5’9” and has sharp facial features and always has a “stern” look to her. She doesn't have a "super suit" and she often has to be careful about fabrics that can melt or catch fire since she might be able to handle millions of volt to her body her clothing isn't always able.

Sidekick to a superhero/ine, or potential recruit to a super team, or young wannabe?:
She is a bit of a young wannabe but has been working with a non-power scientist in order to control her gifts and learn to utilize them to the fullest. Dr. Lazar Dragic was her mentor, father figure, doctor, companion, and best friend. He helped her discover and like not resent her powers. She wants to make him proud more than anything.

Powers and abilities:
Controlling Electricity: She can create a small shock similar to sliding wooly socks on the carpet to shooting lightning bolt strength arcs from her fingers and anything in between. With that comes with super heating, being a walking defibrillator, and ruining electronics on a frequent basis.

Light Weather Manipulation: In a thunderstorm she can manipulate where lightning strikes and can capture its energy if it strikes her, it makes her stronger. She can’t make the wind change or the rain stop but has influence over the lightning. She gets struck A LOT and is essentially a lightning rod.

Super speed: She can “bolt” short distances. Fast, like a lightning strike but only for short to medium distances that she can see. No going around corners or bends; so she has to stop and turn before continuing her sprint and this will make her tired and is often more tedious than helpful. She only uses this really to get out of really bad situations. It takes her a second to do it and she has to really know where she's going so she doesn't hit anything.

Minimal Self Healing: She can heal small wounds on herself or give herself strength by electrocution. If she is truly dying all the electricity in the world isn’t going to help. But she will use tazers or defibrillators on herself before a big fight (although that is a light snack of a shock to what really works) or if she took a beating and needs to speed up the recovery time. Broken bones will stay broken but it will make things faster, huge wounds wont close up in seconds but they will slow bleeding and not get infected. She loves to fight in storms since it makes her stronger and causes everything water touches to be a conductor.

Side note: The Doc had her trained in some hand to hand combat but honestly if you touch her she can zap you pretty easily – it’s more like a strong stun gun than her usual lightning that she can “shoot” from her hands but it’s damn effective.

Why did you come to Kalston?
It was the doc’s idea. He wanted her to do something great with herself. To take everything she had learned and discovered about herself and put it to good use. She wants to impress him and she agreed when she turned 18 she would go to Kalston and train. Maybe find a team, get better with her skills and discover more of herself.

Brief Biog:
She was born in a horrible electrical storm and her mother was struck by lightning giving birth killing Nell’s mother but somehow not killing her, but imbuing it’s power in the new born. Her father was devastated at the loss of his wife and became emotionally distant from Nell from then on. He took care of his daughter somewhat but didn’t know how to truly take care of a girl with obvious gifts and who constantly reminded him of his dead wife. One day when Nell was 7 she went for a walk out in the fields during a terrible thunderstorm, something she did often and her father never really stopped her, to enjoy the lightning. A man driving through by the open fields panicked at seeing a young woman getting struck repeatedly by lightning and surviving. That was Dr. Lazar Dragic a man with multiple PhD’s in topics of Electrical engineering, biochemistry, and physics. He convinced her father to let him help train Nell to discover what she could do and how to not hurt herself or others with it on accident. For the next 11 years he helped her and became the only family she had and ever wanted.

Favourite food: Macaroni and cheese with a cherry coke.

Ramael

Quote from: Avalon29 on April 29, 2013, 08:08:08 PM
This seems really interesting and I was wondering if I could join.

Here's a rough sketch of the character I had in mind was an angel based hero who has recently come into his powers. He’s come to Kalstan in order to figure out what he is and how to control his powers. His abilities are increased strength, durability, and dexterity as well as the ability to fly via wing manifestation. He’s also an empath.

Certainly! We have plenty of slots and will be looking for multiple players in this game. I like the idea of a winged young superhero!

Lime, Mvo, I'm loving your characters so far. Brief post but just to say they're ace and will give them a more in-depth going over shortly. I'm already wondering if the Magnificents and the Doc can be worked into the RP at a later date...

Ramael

On reflection, after looking at the two profiles we've got so far, I only have a couple of comments.

I was worried, being both energy manipulators, that you'd be uber powerful, however it seems there's limits to the powers, which is good. Also, there's justification and a nice slice of science in there too, which is great. I don't have any problems with either of them, the only thing I'd have said to you Mvo is that yours does have the potential to kill people quite easily, but you've included that almost as a weakness in your profile, which is good, and I guess that's part of the reason why he's come to Kalston, to train his power, and also not to be toooooo close to squishy civilians.

I guess his first few fights are gonna be about not melting people down completely, which is good.

Bottom line, you're both approved, and, pending more characters, will be the first members of the game! Now, I can't tell you if you will be on the same team yet (again depends on the amount of players we get) but do you guys have any ideas for a Kalston team name when you get assigned?

So, with two energy manipulators, we could do with a tank/brick/superboy type, a flying type or two, then maybe a stealth type, and/or a techy gadget type...

Lemon Lime

Woo! I'm excited and love these 2 so far. We gotta get some more blood up in here. :)

Avalon29

Super alias: Seraph

Image/detailed description

He doesn't have a "super suit" but instead wears jeans with a t-shirt that have slits in the back in order to accommodate his wings and he has brown eyes.

Sidekick to a superhero/ine, or potential recruit to a superteam, or young wannabe?

He is a young wannabe who is struggling to come to terms with his new appearance and abilities. He’s only got a small amount of training under his belt but he’s determined to put his new abilities to good use.

Powers and abilities:

Wings: His wings have a wingspan of 13 ft long and contain a large amount of strength and durability. The wings are durable enough to be used as a bulletproof shield and can be used to slam enough force to knock them away or break the bones of less durable opponents.

Flight: His wings have given the ability to fly, with a top speed of 120 mph under normal conditions but can easily reach over 200 in a proper dive. His body has also evolved so that it can handle flight at high altitudes with an increased lung capacity and the ability to survive on thinner air though the higher he climbs the faster he tires out.

Enhanced Physical Capabilities: His body has evolved into one surpassing most humans in peak condition. He’s strong enough to fight with those who are larger with him and break bones if he hits someone with the added speed of his flight but he can’t break through walls or shatter boulders.  He has gained enough durability to take strikes from people of equal strength without his bones breaking though he is susceptible to bullets, firearms and sharp instruments.  He’s also gained an increase in his dexterity so that he can navigate and control himself at the high speeds at which he flies.

Empathy: he has the ability to sense emotions from others though at times it’s more of a curse than a gift. When he is an area with a large amount of people he needs to focus on keeping himself from being overwhelmed by the variety of emotions and at times when he’s in a large crowd who are all feeling a single intense emotion such as fear, he can easily get overwhelmed and become useless until he gets himself back under control. Over time he may develop the ability to soothe or riot emotions but at the moment it takes most of his self-control not to get overwhelmed.

Why did you come to Kalston?  He came to Kalston in order to receive further training, try to figure out who or what he is and he hopes to find away to but the thing that he and his brought into this world out of it. He’s only had enough training to get a handle on flying without crashing and he’s been dealing with the question of whether or not he’s just a hero who discovered his powers at just the right time or something else.

Brief Biog:  Malachi was a normal teenager who had never believed in the supernatural even in a world filled with super heroes, he didn’t believe in things like heaven and hell, angels and demons. One day a group of friends invited him over telling him that they were going to try and perform some kind of ritual. Malachi not believing that they could possibly succeed allowed them to convince him to join them. To his horror he and his group of friends managed to succeed and they summoned something. He didn't get a good look at the thing they had summoned but he got a good look at what that thing was capable of. It ripped his friends to pieces and left them as no more than a bloody smear on the ground. When it came after him Malachi saw a bright flash of light and was rendered unconscious. When he awoke he discovered that he had wings and felt stronger than before. After fleeing the area where the tragedy took place, he spent the next few months of research and trying to get some semblance of control over his new body and its abilities. Once he believed that he had enough control of his new powers he went to Kalston in search for more training and some information on what exactly happened to him.

Favorite food: Smoked brisket

Lady Quixote

cool, thanks Ramael. 

I hope Plasma won't melt anyone...but we will see

Matt

Ramael

Interesting Avalon, I had thought that Kalston wouldn't have a dedicated science department for researching new superheroes powers, but perhaps with Malachi there will be other parties taking an active interest in where he derives his power from! Who is (Name) by the way?

We have our flyer type. Who's next?

Also, Mvo, Lime, any ideas on what your team name would be? Or perhaps you'd like to get into the game before deciding that.

Avalon29

I have a terrible time with names so It's usually the last thing I do so I use that as place holder for places where I'd plug in the name. I guess I just missed that one.

Lady Quixote

I don't have a great name...perhaps it can be something created in game

Matt