The Other Guys (fantasy edition)

Started by wigglebiscuit, March 21, 2016, 08:58:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wigglebiscuit

We know what fantasy roleplaying is all about: complete badassery. Barbarians duel-wielding axes and flaming halberds with spiked chains on the ends of them. Wizards slinging fireballs that sling their own fireballs that level armies and send demon princes fleeing in their underoos. Rouges who can look you in the eye and slit your throat and you still don't see them. World conquests. Necromancers. Drow (sexy, sexy drow). Adventures that span the upper realms and the lower realms and the realms where even cooler things than you or Patrick Rothfuss can imagine happen on a daily basis.

This story isn't that. This isn't about those guys.

This story is about the other guys.

You were close to glory once...the time that Paladin of Pelor cropdusted in the hallway as the two of you passed and you smelled it. Oh yeah, you know what glory smells like. You were that close. But then you had to slop up the mess from where the barbarian and the drow got it on in Room #2.

You will never be great. You will never be mighty. But your life has meaning, and it is your story to tell.

This is slice of life. It is the nitty-gritty. It is the drama of the mundane, and it is a story worth telling.

~~~

To keep things compact, to make it easier to weave plots together, this RP will take place in your Standard Fantasy Metropolis. A vast urban sprawl. If the fantasy world has a New York City, this would be Manhattan (though your character probably lives in the Bronx). Characters can be newly-arrived, or they could be life-long residents.

Of necessity, this will be low-level, perhaps a more generic rules system like True20 might be in order. Oh yes, there may be adventures, but everything must be zoomed down to street level. Mrs. Huxtaby down the street really does have a dire rat problem. And seriously, who has the gold pieces to throw at proper adventurers? Gold Pieces? What are we, royalty?

The bully that cut the whore's face at the Red Ruby Inn. The thugs that have moved into the abandoned house at the end of the row. The constable on the take from them. The Paladin of Pelor can't do it. Oh no, that sumbitch is off somewhere saving the world again, meanwhile somebody is stealing street urchins from back alleys and nobody gives a rat's backside.

In any event, adventures take a back seat to the drama. Do you have kids to feed? A master who is wondering where her apprentice got off to? Parents that expect you to settle down and marry the cobbler's son and start having babies already? If so, this is the RP for you.

So what do we need to make this thing happen? Well, the first thing is a GM. Oh, wait, you thought I was the GM? Oh no, peoples. I just come up with the ideas, I don't run them. Trust me on this. nosce te ipsum and all that.

Beyond a GM, every player will be expected to bring his or her drama to the table, and then weave said drama into the game. This is a team effort. We can't expect the GM to do all the heavy lifting (because at this point we don't have one).

Interested? Post, and let's generate some momentum!

Thufir Hawat

I'm kinda surprised there weren't more takers for this!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Writersblockade

Jesus, if I had the time. I played something like this over Tabletop, and it was legendary. Nothing like the rejects taking their lumps and finding themselves closer to badass than they thought. Like the Hobbits coming back to the shire to beat down the bullies occupying it.

In any case, I hope you find people!
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!