5e D&D interest check

Started by Togashi, May 09, 2015, 11:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyZ

Quote from: Togashi on May 19, 2015, 08:46:02 PM
I apologize everyone. I misquoted. It's actually 500 gold. As for property buying I need to know a few things.

When you say this, you mean that the price of an uncommon magic item is 500 gold, not that we only get 500 gold to start, right?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

eternaldarkness

Here he is finally. I don't know what I was thinking with my first draft of him, but he's better and manlier now.

Orlan the Traitor
[Floatleft][/float]
Race: Human (variant human)
Class/Level: Barbarian 5 (Path of the Totem Warrior)
Background: Soldier
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Str: 16/+3 (+1 Racial) (19/+4 w/ gauntlets of Ogre Power)
Dex: 14/+2
Con: 14/+2 (+1 Racial)
Int: 8/-1
Wis: 10 /+0
Cha: 12/+1

Proficiency Bonus: +3
Init: +2
AC: 17 (14 unarmored)
HP: 48

Saves: Str* +7, Dex +2, Con* +5, Int -1, Wis +0, Cha +1

Racial Abilities:
+1 to two Ability Scores
Bonus Feat
Bonus Skill or Tool proficiency

Class Abilities:
Rage
Unarmored Defense
Reckless Attack
Danger Sense
Primal Path: Path of the Totem Warrior
Spirit Seeker
Totem Spirit: Bear
Ability Score Improvement (Feat: Sentinel)
Extra Attack
Fast Movement

Feats:
Great Weapon Master
Sentinel

Skills: *Denotes proficient skills
Acrobatics (dex)* +5 (Human)
Animal handling (Wis)+0
Arcana (int) -1
Athletics (str)* +7 (Soldier)
Deception (cha) +1
History (int) -1
Insight (Wis) +0
Intimidation (cha)* +4 (Soldier)
Investigation (int) -1
Medicine (Wis) +0
Nature (int)* +2 (Barbarian)
Perception (Wis)* +3 (Barbarian)
Performance (cha) +1
Persuasion (cha) +1
Religion (int) -1
Sleight of hand (dex) +2
Stealth (dex) +2
Survival (Wis) +0

Tool proficiencies:
Dice
Land Vehicles

Equipment
• Warhammer
• two handaxes
• An explorer’s pack and four javelins
An insignia of rank (Sergeant, Thayan Army), a trophy taken from
a fallen enemy (piece of a Rashemi banner, also his talisman), a set of bone dice, a set of
common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

+2 Greatsword (Hard Edge)
Adamantine Half Plate
Gauntlets of Ogre Power
Boots of Striding and Springing

Money: 4500 GP (500 spent to purchase Gauntlets of Ogre Power)

Background
A warrior created by Thayan wizards to be the ultimate weapon against their Rashemi enemies, Orlan was raised from birth to be a powerful combatant, versed in ways of fighting and defeating both ordinary soldiers and mages with brutal efficiency and infused with the spirit of a powerful Rashemi berserker by arcane magic to give him the powerful of those legendary warriors. He killed countless numbers of his corrupt nations enemies and would have continued doing so, but one day he encountered a witch on the battlefield who he couldn't raise his blade against, instead turning on his red wizard handler and slaying him, fleeing with the rashemi witch. Never truly an evil person, Orlan was only too happy to be free of his masters and the witch revealed that she had come looking for him. The berserker whose spirit had been fused to Orlans was her lover, and she had guessed (Correctly) that the magekiller would be unable to harm her. It did not take long before Orlan and the witch fell in love, and it would have remained that way if not for an accident where Orlan suddenly lost control of his berserker rage and killed his lover, becoming outcast by the Rashemi and hunted by his former homeland.

AndyZ

One thing I wanted to ask: I noticed that we also get the starting equipment, but I've kinda already set up stuff.  Any objection to taking the average of the starting wealth as listed on page 143 in PH?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Togashi

Muse. My ruling for buying more spells is, no. You cannot spend gold to get extra spell slots. However you could purchase them at 500 gold a spell (this represents components, time, and paying other wizards) to add a spell to an existing level you can cast at. But this does not increase your spells per day.

Yes 500 gold per uncommon item.

Sadly A Painter this is full up. But I can add you to the waiting list.

AndyZ

Quote from: Togashi on May 20, 2015, 01:02:09 AM
Muse. My ruling for buying more spells is, no. You cannot spend gold to get extra spell slots. However you could purchase them at 500 gold a spell (this represents components, time, and paying other wizards) to add a spell to an existing level you can cast at. But this does not increase your spells per day.

Yes 500 gold per uncommon item.

I believe Muse was asking about adding spells to the spellbook, not the slots.

eternaldarkness

Barbarian completed and updated, and he is a real combat monster who can even do useful stuff when the swords aren't swinging. Decent AC and 48 HP combined with the bear totem half damage and adamantine armor negating crits means he's nigh-indestructible and with sentinel he punishes enemies foolish enough to attack anyone else once he gets them in Melee. Great Weapon Master makes him able to deal out massive damage when he needs to, and he can go Reckless to mitigate the -5 attack penalty at the cost of making himself an easy target. That's okay; he wants all the enemies attacking him anyway.

His only real weak spot is his saves. If int, wish and cha saves start getting rolled he's in trouble. But that's what you guys are for. He would do well in a party with lots of people who can handle the brainwork and make those mental saves, and having someone to heal and buff him would be aces. Any caster doing so will not regret it. Nothing is going to escape him to attack them, and if it does his 40 ft. Speed and Boots of Striding and Springing ensure he will chase them down quickly.

stay behind the rampaging berserker with the big sword, and you live. Period.

Personality-wise Orlan is overprotective in the extreme. He is a former soldier accustomed to leading others into battle, and when his friends get hurt he takes it very hard. Out of combat he's probably the one making sure everyones gear is maintained and generally being a big 'ol papa bear.

Muse

Quote from: AndyZ on May 20, 2015, 01:04:09 AM
I believe Muse was asking about adding spells to the spellbook, not the slots.

Oh, yes!  Very much what Andy said.  :) 

And that's exactly what i was hoping for with new spells for my spellbook.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Togashi

Quote from: eternaldarkness on May 20, 2015, 03:06:01 AM
Barbarian completed and updated, and he is a real combat monster who can even do useful stuff when the swords aren't swinging. Decent AC and 48 HP combined with the bear totem half damage and adamantine armor negating crits means he's nigh-indestructible and with sentinel he punishes enemies foolish enough to attack anyone else once he gets them in Melee. Great Weapon Master makes him able to deal out massive damage when he needs to, and he can go Reckless to mitigate the -5 attack penalty at the cost of making himself an easy target. That's okay; he wants all the enemies attacking him anyway.

His only real weak spot is his saves. If int, wish and cha saves start getting rolled he's in trouble. But that's what you guys are for. He would do well in a party with lots of people who can handle the brainwork and make those mental saves, and having someone to heal and buff him would be aces. Any caster doing so will not regret it. Nothing is going to escape him to attack them, and if it does his 40 ft. Speed and Boots of Striding and Springing ensure he will chase them down quickly.

stay behind the rampaging berserker with the big sword, and you live. Period.

Personality-wise Orlan is overprotective in the extreme. He is a former soldier accustomed to leading others into battle, and when his friends get hurt he takes it very hard. Out of combat he's probably the one making sure everyones gear is maintained and generally being a big 'ol papa bear.

I think your biggest penalty is that you're wearing armor. So you don't  get to have your constitution bonus to it.

eternaldarkness

Eh, that's not a big deal. Getting hit is how Barbarians do their jobs. They soak up hits and laugh at the puny little weaklings dealing them out. Once Orlan gets in melee with you, you may as well just dig your own grave and lie down in it.

Muse

First draft of the character Asphodel asked me to make for him: 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name:      Rurik Ungart
Race:      Mountain Dwarf
Backgound:   Guild Artisan
Class:      Fighter 5

Alingment:   Lawful Good
Size      Medium
Height      4'8"
Weight      165lbs

Stats:      Score   Modifier
Strength:   16   +3
Dexterity:   10   +0
Constitution:   18   +4
Intelligence:   12   +1
Wisdom:      14   +2   
Charisma:   8   -1

Hit Poitns   54

Armor Class   21 or 15 (17 with shield.) 
   Adamantine Full Plate (AC 18, Negates critical hits.) or Mithril Breastplate for civilian life (AC 14).   
   Sentinel Shield (AC +2, gives advantage on Iniative and perception tests.) 

Abilities, Class:
   Second Wind: You have a limited well of stamina that you can draw on to protect yourself from harm. On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d 10 + your fighter level.  Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
   Action Surge: Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On your turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible bonus action.  Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.
   Extra Attack: Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.  The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 11th level in this class and to four when you reach 20th level in this class.
   Defense: While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
   Champion:
      Improved Critical: Beginning when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, your weapon attacks sco re a critical hit on a roll o f 19 or 20.

Abilities, Racial
   Speed. Your base walking speed is 25 feet. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
   Darkvision. Accustomed to life underground, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet o f you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
   Dwarven Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage (explained in chapter 9).
   Dwarven Combat Training. You have proficiency with the battleaxe, handaxe, throwing hammer, and warhammer.
   Tool Proficiency. You gain proficiency with the artisan’s tools of your choice: smith’s tools, brewer’s supplies, or mason’s tools.
   Stonecunning. Whenever you make an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, you are considered proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus to the check, instead of your normal proficiency bonus.
   Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Dwarvish. Dwarvish is full o f hard consonants and guttural sounds, and those characteristics spill over into whatever other language a dwarf might speak.
   Dwarven Armor Training. You have proficiency with light and medium armor.

Background Feature: 
   Guild Membership:
   As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides.
   Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members o f your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.
   Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused o f a crime, your guild w ill support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or m agic items to the guild’s coffers.
   You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild’s good graces.
   Languege: +1

Proficiency Bonus: +3
Armor and Weapons: All simple and martial weapons.  All armor and shields. 

Saving Throws:  Strength d20+6, Dexterity d20+0, Constituion d20+7, Inteligence d20+1, Wisdom d20+2, Charisma d20-1

Skills: 
   Athletics   d20+6
   History      d20+1 (Stonework +4)
   Insight      d20+5
   Perception   d20+5
   Persuasion   d20+2

Tool Proficiencies: 
   Artisan's Tools: Brewer
   Artisan's Tools: Smith

Weapons: 
   +2 Warhammer
      Attack Roll   d20+8
      Damage      d8+5
      Tags      Versatile (d10+3 when wielded in both hands.) 

Two Hand Axes
      Attack Roll   d20+6
      Damage      d6+3
      Range      20/60

Gear: 
   Coin: 3,700
   Platinum   7
   Gold      7
   Silver      4
   Copper      10

Other Gear: 
   Artisan's Tools: Brewer
   Artisan's Tools: Smith
   Boots of Striding and Springing (Movement 30, x3 jumping distances.) (Attuned)
   Belt Pouch
   Common Clothes
   Dungeoneering Pack:
   Healing Potion x5
   Letter of Introduction from the Smith's GUild. 

Jayna

Solid choice. Champions are ridiculously fun

Togashi

Okay. Tomorrow I'm going to post a thread just to hold character sheets. For those of you with completed sheets, you'll post them there, then I will announce who is going in what group. I will try my best to balance it out.

A Painter

Quote from: Togashi on May 20, 2015, 01:02:09 AM

Alright then.  I wish you all the best of luck with your game :)

Sorrow Singer

Polished the sheet and made it pretty, added a pretty picture. all ready to go on this end.

Togashi

AndyZ

One thing I wanted to ask: I noticed that we also get the starting equipment, but I've kinda already set up stuff.  Any objection to taking the average of the starting wealth as listed on page 143 in PH?

Togashi

Asphodel Terrarium

@Muse: Oh, thank you! The stats look nice. I have never been good with stats anyway.

??? Woah! Such long list too! One thing, how did I become a brewer?

Muse

Quote from: Asphodel Terrarium on May 21, 2015, 09:29:33 PM
@Muse: Oh, thank you! The stats look nice. I have never been good with stats anyway.

??? Woah! Such long list too! One thing, how did I become a brewer?

The brewer bit: 

Every dwarf picks up either Stonemasonry, smithing or brewing. 

Now that I've got your answers in PM, we can do a second draft that incorporates them. 

Asphodel Terrarium

Togashi

If you have finished making your character, please, post it in the character thread. As soon as I can go over all of them I can split them into groups.

AndyZ

It may be a good idea to split the groups by posting rate, putting faster people in one group and slower people into the other.

Togashi

Okay. I am going to give everyone until Tuesday night to post their characters in the character thread.

Asphodel Terrarium

O:) I already posted mine. @Muse: Thank you for all the help!