Gundam, Zoids, Battletech, or an original Mecha Universe (Interest check linked)

Started by King Serperior, August 26, 2015, 08:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Serperior

NOTICE:  There is now an official Interest Check Thread located here!  If you're interested, there are two open spots as of this post, so if you hurry now, you might be able to grab one of them!

The title says it all!  I am looking for a good mecha game.  I prefer a more realistic mecha setting, but I grew up on Zoids and Gundam, so those universes are certainly open.  I even have a character (which can be adapted) for each of them:

Angela Blair:  For an Original game; Pilots a large, heavy, hexapod mech that is bristling with weaponry.
Evelyn Mizuki: For a Zoids game;  Pilots a Gun Sniper and prefers to take out foes before they even know she's there.
DJ Robins:  For a Battletech game:  Pilots a Wraith TR2 and likes to be nimble in battle, taking down targets in surgical strikes.
Jesse:  For a Gundam game:  Pilots a stolen military stealth model and uses the model's stealth to quickly take down foes and get out.

A couple of them need some changes and edits, but they are complete for the most part.  The characters are all female, yes, but I can easily edit them to male if anyone has objections to them.

So, what I am trying to say is that I am looking for a Small Mecha Game (between 3-6 characters).  If there are others who are interested, the more the merrier!

In this search for a Mecha game, I am looking for some quality posts.  I don't do one-liners nor really short posts.  I am also looking for player interaction OOC.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Ralhend

Yes, anything with big stompy robots, count me in :)

I am familiar with Battletech, Palladium Robotech, Mekton Z, and a few other systems that specialize in mecha.

I also built the Zoids and Robotix models growing up, so I am game for whatever
Post Rate: (Lethargic)
Request Thread/ Ons and Offs /A/A Thread
Active Stories on E: (Extremely Selective) 3/3 Discussions/Caged Bird/Maiden Voyage/Shattered Mirror/
Other Games E : (Taken) 1/1 /Chessgame 1, Mimétisme vs Ralhend/

King Serperior

For clarification, I am not looking for a flat system game.  I prefer mostly freeform, but there can be some small system mechanics.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Ralhend

For clarification thats fine, what I am after is the action, big guns, explosions, tactical exercises, and fight scenes that rival Michael Bay...

IE Something reminiscent of a good action movie, where everyone is shooting at everyone else, bullets and grenades flying everywhere, yet everyone has aim for shit.

System mechanics are irrelevant to me.
Active Stories on E: (Extremely Selective) 3/3 Discussions/Caged Bird/Maiden Voyage/Shattered Mirror/

King Serperior

Then we're looking for vastly different things.  I am looking for a very story-focused game rather than having one jam-packed with explosions.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

*chuckles* I just submitted a Gundam character to a mashup game. It's always hard to resist.

Ralhend

Quote from: King Serperior on August 27, 2015, 05:58:05 PM
Then we're looking for vastly different things.  I am looking for a very story-focused game rather than having one jam-packed with explosions.

Alright, we MIGHT be having a breakdown in communications. 
I had assumed you knew that I understood something story rich was on the table and that one liners would not be tolerated, and I have apparently led you to believe I am only after something jam packed with explosions...

Allow me to clarify my intent:

I am after a detail rich "mecha-opera" type story, where a team of mecha pilots adventure around in either an established or original setting.  In addition to epic combat scenes, I want tension as we draw closer to our mission objective. I want complex drama and intrigues, plot twists, adaptive problem solving exercises, tactical planning during downtime, and other such events to happen along the way.   Of all of the established settings you have listed, I have the most experience with Battletech. (These would be the most "Realistic" of the settings)

Upon seeing this post, (And this is just something I'm throwing out for your consideration, to see how my imagination works) it makes me envision a small Davion scout lance,  where everyone has a light mech (Possibly commandos or ravens, since they have recon equipment)... We are in a heavily forested area, and keep to heavy cover as we observe enemy troop movements.  We are cut off from our main forces, and are forced deeper into enemy territory where we have to scrounge and raid for survival.  We would salvage supplies, vehicles, fuel, ammunition, mecha, information, and other odds and ends as we make our way back to our allies.

As i said before, freeform writing without the game system is fine, I'm more focused on the story events than on dice rolls.

Now, if something of this nature is not what you are after, then yes, we are indeed looking for something vastly different.

King Serperior

AH!  Okay, it seems we are actually on the same page then!  While Battletech is the one I am least knowledgeable in, I do love the realistic setting.

That said, I like the idea you envisioned and I think my character for a Battletech universe (see above) fits that kind of role well.  My apologies for the misunderstandings.  Yesterday was exceedingly busy and I was rather tired.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

Alright, awesome.  Rel Meyer said something about you being one of my mentors anyway, so this works out great =D

This place makes a great reference if we decide to go with battletech: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

King Serperior

Alrighty.  Well, I guess that's two people seeking a GM then.  As for sarna, I know of that.  I used it when creating my Battletech character and her mech.

If Karma's interested in a Battletech setting, then that'd be three people of the 5-6 I am looking for.  Of course, it doesn't have to be Battletech since I have a couple of universes that I would like.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

I'm not well versed in Battletech either but I'm not opposed to it I suppose.

King Serperior

I am not either.  I know the very basics, but I haven't studied the universe as a whole.  So, this would be a learning experience for everyone.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

I didnt know we were going to be utilizing the services of a GM,

I had assumed the following (Something I REALLY need to stop doing apparently):

1: We would just have the main story thread, free-form write it without the game system at all while using the setting.
2: We each take a turn posting, and then have a private thread/channel where we discuss the development of the story and OOC stuffs.

Granted, whatever we decide doesn't change anything for me, I am game for whatever...

King Serperior

Quote from: Ralhend on August 28, 2015, 10:27:58 AM
1: We would just have the main story thread, free-form write it without the game system at all while using the setting.
2: We each take a turn posting, and then have a private thread/channel where we discuss the development of the story and OOC stuffs.

For the most part, your assumptions are correct, however, I have found that these kinds of games work best when there is someone keeping the story flowing in the right direction.  This keeps the game from meandering and eventually grinding to a halt.  It still leaves room for all players to discuss the story and OOC, but also provides a backbone and skeleton.

Also, this board is for those seeking GMs/groups that would like what the seeker is seeking.   :-)

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ralhend

King Serperior

So, while we wait to see if others are interested in a Battletech game and perhaps finding a GM (If all else fails, I can be GM, but I have a lot on my plate currently), what sort of mech would your characters pilot, Karma and Ralhend?  Mine pilots a Wraith TR2.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

King Serperior

Well, a Battletech universe doesn't have to be chosen per say.  In fact, we can make a realistic mech game akin to the Battletech universe in a way. 

Heck, If no one else shows interest, we can even choose to create a small group game between the three of us an create a mech arena team game.  I have a character who pilots a massive, slow, heavily armed and armored mech designed for such a game.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

King Serperior

Looks good!  However, I don't think the mechs in question should be Pacific Rim sized.  Rather, they should be more reasonably-sized.  I don't give the size of the mech my character, Jesse, uses, but it would be one of the larger types.

The way I would see an arena combat mech is that they have three sizes:  Light (The smallest and most bipedal;  Weakest armor and weapons, but are very adaptable), Medium (the middle ground;  Mostly bipedal, but have more limited range of movement and agility), and Heavy (The largest and are very slow, but very heavily armed and armored).

Quote from: King Serperior on August 26, 2015, 08:18:01 PM
Angela Blair:  For an Original game; Pilots a large, heavy, hexapod mech that is bristling with weaponry.

^ This is the mech my character would likely use.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

King Serperior

Haha, true, true!  So, what sort of role would your character and his/her mech have? 

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Generally the same as the sheet says; she's a mech designer and theorist. She uses primarily power armors rather than mechs even though she designs them.

King Serperior

Alrighty, well, she may need something bigger than a Power Armor, but it sounds like she'll be using light, fast mechs that have mobility over firepower.  Sounds like the type that takes advantage of others targeting the larger mechs and ignoring the smaller ones.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace

Ideally it will dock into a larger mech a la Hulkbuster, Dendrobium, or Neo Zeong. :)