The Legacy of the Forgotten House {PF Interest/Application Thread}

Started by Foxfyr, December 03, 2014, 08:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indarkestknight

Well, there's a bard, who theoretically can do some healing. And the DMPC is a warpriest, who will have at least some healing according to the DM.

Ixy

I'll share my application if it helps anybody.  If accepted, I'm open to character background ties, even if it's just meeting up on the road on the way in.

Jude Talonius
From her early years, Jude learned humilty.  Her grandmother, sole guardian of the girl, told her that this was first-- that she had learned, the hard way, that humility and caution were the most valuable of virtues, and she had a history to prove it-- many times, she heard tales of how her mother had fought alongside heroes during the war, and had learned the hard way the limitations of her own mortality.  She showed her her granddaughter her own scars, and tell her the tale of how her mother, while Jude was too young to speak, had wielded magic to defend their city until she had been cut down by roving, disbanded demons from the wars.

Jude was terrified of everything.  She saw her grandmother's scars in her dreams, imagined all manners of hellish suffering for her lost mother-- and she knew nothing of her father, so she could only imagine horrors for his fate as well.  She was afraid to climb trees, afraid to swim, afraid of the dark, afraid that every noise outside her windows were demons, returned since the rift, to slaughter her and her grandmother.  Helping her grandmother keep shop, she was afraid of every customer-- until, one day, a retired soldier saw her fear, spoke to her grandmother, and came back-- again and again-- to meet with her.

His name was Marellus, and he had been a corporal before arthritis had crippled his ability to march, ride a horse, or fight effectively.  Something about the girl fascinated her, and he trained her in the art of swordplay, and in scholarship of monstrous dungeons-- these things terrified her, at first, and she was afraid of being hurt by the heavy wooden practice swords, or of being stranded in one of the labyrinths he described and illustrated for her.  But after a year of tutoring, which her grandmother accepted begrudgingly, something changed in Jude.  She began to learn that fear was for others-- that if you could harness that fear and turn it to courage, you would have mastery over your world.  Left in the woods at night, she survived and found her way home.  Given a real blade, she could wield it and survive the nicks and cuts she earned with it.  She could stand, face to face, with the village boys and fight for her own survival.  And she did-- she focused on her training and became a competent fighter.

Until one day, entirely by accident, she almost killed a boy-- some three years her senior-- while fighting him on a dare from her teasing peers.  One moment she was reeling behind his more powerful, longer-armed swipes-- the next, she had emitted electricity that knocked the boy unconscious... he would have died had the village's healer not been summoned to aid him.

Finally, after urging from Marellus, her grandmother admitted that her daughter's magic may have passed its way to Jude, and that her father-- Gaius Talonius-- might one day call on her.

Jude was apprenticed to an eastern sword-sage to learn to harness, and summon, both her innate power and other abilities that could be garnered through the study of magic. The move was an unorthodox one; the only sword-sage that Marellus could find with the proper abilities and experience to tutor the young Magus was a n Akkaalian Court-Blade-- a guild rumored to be everything from dark magic practitioners at best to murderous, assassin prostitutes at worst.  Akkaali was far from home, both in geography and in ideology, and many practices among the foreign culture would be considered morally taboo by her own country.  Through the training she received for the next few years, she excelled in her control and in the arts of swordplay not taught to soldiers, but to the duelists and bodyguards of a culture that practiced polygamy, culturally accepted prostitution, and integrated open sexuality into its religious practices. 

It was a formative time for her, and she was never able to fully reconcile her identity as being one of her home nation or one of the foreign culture.  On her eighteenth birthday she answered the summons to join with the children of Talonius far from her home.  She remembers enough of her youth to blend in among the structured culture of these warring houses, but she has never truly learned to be part of that culture inside, and her confusion risks offense in the wrong circumstances.

Zaer Darkwail

Looks interesting char there Ixy :). Anyways I will pick wand of cure light wounds but most other bardic spells would be more utility purposes and be face person of the group (and general lore person).

Anyways, my stat rolls;

First
Stats:10, 14, 15, 10
Second
Stats: 14, 14, 11, 17

Second series clearly are most best rolls so take that one. Big question what the 8 would be :P.

indarkestknight

I may actually put my +2 racial bonus from being a human into the 8 to turn it into a 10... at least for the swashbuckler.

Ebb

Very interesting setup. I'd like to go ahead and throw my hat into the ring.

Human Investigator, Lvl 4.
Rolls:
Full Result: New Character rolled: 4d8, modifying each die by 9
Comment: Legacy of the Forgotten
Result: 13, 15, 10, 13,
Total: 51
For a result of 18, 15, 13, 13, 10, 8

Tragon Tralonius
Human, Male, Investigator 4
Party role: Skillmonkey, face, general busybody

Tragon is a slight, bookish looking fellow just entering adulthood. He is a natural son of Gaius Talonius. His mother, Fellana, was the mayor of the small town of Toropen. She still serves there, shepherding the small mining community and ensuring the town's safety. Tragon was raised with the ideal of serving the people; that those of exceptional skill and ability are required, by mandate, to put their skills toward the service of others. When he received the call from Crassus he eagerly packed his few belongings and made the journey to Garados, ready to put his meager abilities to the cause that his father had laid out.

Tragon is a bright lad of 19 who has read every book available to him in Toropen from cover to cover, at least twice. Although somewhat sickly, he believes himself to be heroic of heart, and has often gotten in over his head battling the ogres who plague his hometown. Only the quick action of the warriors of the town, including his mother, has saved him from an untimely death. Tragon has a somewhat unrealistic view of the world, fueled by his consumption of heroic fantasies and tales of valor vastly inflated from the truth. Though he longs to be hero, his skills will likely benefit Gaius' legacy more in the administration of his new town. He is eager to make his name, but perhaps unrealistic in his personal capability to do so. On the positive side, his practical knowledge of the administration of a mining town should prove useful to Garados' development, even if Tragon would rather be out in the field slaying monsters and saving maidens.

Muse

Oh.  ^_^;; 

Already a magus application.  Okay.  Thanks, Ixy, I'm glad I found out before I applied! 

I haven't had time to read her fully yet, but I love her image.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

indarkestknight

Not quite complete yet, but here we go:

Fluff
Among the boon companions of Gaius Talonius was a noble swordsman, Baron Syrio of House Aldori. When the time came for Gaius Talonius to seek concubines, one of Baron Syrio's nieces, an ingenue by the name of [Mother's name], offered herself, despite her own noble bloodline, having become enamored of the Savior of Viemera. To Gaius, she bore but one son - Edmund.

Though Gaius himself had precious little time to spare to get to know his son, Edmund's great-uncle Syrio took Edmund under his wing, schooling Edmund in the ways of swordplay.
As he matured into adulthood, noble dandies challenged him to duels to the death, thinking to teach the abrasive bastard a lesson, to show him for the illegitimate coward they thought he must be. Unwilling to lose face, Edmund accepted each challenge and won, leaving a dozen corpses in his wake over the years, and, in the course of doing so, came to recognize himself as bloodthirsty, never feeling more alive than when he was fighting for his life, never feeling more alive than when he was fighting to kill.

There was one person aside from his great-uncle that Edmund grew close to; the Baron's grand-daughter and Edmund's second cousin, Elizabeth. Despite the age gap between them, they bonded, for Elizabeth, despite being the legitimate heir to House Aldori, never treated Edmund any differently for being a bastard. Elizabeth, despite her youth, proved to be a prodigy of swordplay, and, while Edmund had more experience than she, it quickly became apparent she was even more naturally talented than he, though jealousy never soured the relationship between the two.

However, Edmund was dismayed to learn that young Elizabeth had challenged a peer to a duel for speaking words that slighted Edmund. His dismay only grew as he watched on. Though Elizabeth's swordplay and talent was by far superior to that of her opponent, it was readily apparent to him that, unlike him, she did not relish the blood; if anything, it distressed her intensely, and the duel drew on far longer than it ought to, considering the vast gap between them, finally Elizabeth's opponent surrendered, ashen-faced, bloodied, but alive. Even so, Elizabeth's distress faded only slowly.

It dawned on Edmund that he was a negative influence on Elizabeth, and it was not a week later that he received the missive from Crassus Antillus. Taking it as a sign, he said his goodbyes, and, promising to write, set out for Garados.

He writes Elizabeth letters still, and though his intent is to tell her tales of men and women that would serve as better examples to her than he was, as often as not, he still ends up talking about himself and his exploits.
Edmund idolizes his father and his accomplishments, and fully intends to live up to the man his father was - though his idea of living up to those accomplishments involves building respect and renown for House Talonius and slaying any demons he might cross paths with more than it does charity or altruism.

Crunch
Edmund Talonius
Male Human Swashbuckler
LN Medium Humanoid (Human)

Init +12 (+10 without panache); Senses Perception +10

AC 22, touch 15, flat-footed 17 (+5 armor, +4 Dex, +1 dodge, +2 shield)
hp 49 (4d10 + 12 + 4)
Fort +5, Ref +9, Will +5

Speed 30ft.
Melee masterwork cold iron rapier +10 (1d6+4+4 precision/18-20)
Melee dagger +8 (1d4+4 precision/19-20)
Ranged dagger +8 (1d4+4 precision/19-20)

Abilities Str 10, Dex 19, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 17
Base Atk +4; CMB +4 (+6 with rapier); CMD 18
Feats Fencing Grace, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Intimidate), Weapon Focus (rapier)
Traits Bully, Reactionary
Skills Acrobatics +10 (4 ranks), Bluff +8 (2 ranks), Climb +3 (1 rank), Diplomacy +8 (2 ranks), Intimidate +14 (4 ranks), Knowledge (local) +7 (2 ranks), Knowledge (nobility) +7 (2 ranks), Knowledge (planes) +4 (2 ranks), Perception +10 (4 ranks), Ride +7 (1 rank), Sense Motive +8 (2 ranks), Swim +3 (1 rank); Armor Check Penalty -1
Languages Abyssal, Common, Elven
SQ charmed life 3/day, deeds (derring-do, dodging panache, kip up, menacing swordplay, opportune parry and riposte, precise strike, swashbuckler initiative), panache, swashbuckler's finesse
Combat Gear   Other Gear +1 buckler, +1 chain shirt, cloak of resistance +1, masterwork cold iron rapier, signet ring of House Talonius

To do list:
- Spend one more skill point
- Equipment
- Determine a name for Edmund's mother.

If anyone has suggestions for Edmund's mother's name, by all means, I could use the help. (I'm wretched with names, which is why I stole names shamelessly for... well, everyone.)

Zaer Darkwail

Considering style of names so far I would recommend Edmund's mother to be called Baroness Katherine Venezuella (sounds Italian yes and I get bit hot blooded italian duelist vibe from Edmund).

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, edited my post in first page to include actual working link to my charsheet (which is completed). Just some misc non-magical gear not bought but can invest to 100gp for them.

Lockepick

Just wanted to say I love the notion of the 'town building' mini game, and wish I had time to post up a character!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

kckolbe

This sounds wonderful.  Ebb already thought of my initial idea, so I came up with something else.  I am thinking of playing the world's smartest fighter.  He would be an archer primarily as well as a secondary skill monkey.  I like the idea of him really wanting to be accepted by the proper nobles, and that being a big drive of his. Ability scores below are after race modifier and level 4 increase.

Human Male Archer (or Archer/Arcanist) Str 16 Dex 17 Con 13 Int 20 Wis 13 Cha 8

At 2014-12-08 10:41:16, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 1d8a9 Result: 13
At 2014-12-08 10:41:05, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 1d8a9 Result: 13
At 2014-12-08 10:40:47, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 1d8a9 Result: 17
At 2014-12-08 10:40:30, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 1d8a9 Result: 15

I'm willing to split him as an arcanist/archer, since he will have the int to be a solid caster, and as a White Mage Arcanist he can do a little bit of healing.  Ixy, I'm open to being the unfortunate male from your background.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Ixy

Thanks for the support, Muse.  I'm not accepted yet, and Magus is one of those categories where it mightn't hurt to have more than one.

KC- We can discuss that-- please let me know any ideas you have along the way.

kckolbe

Magus is a cool class.  The fighter/mage combo is so much fun, and magus does it so well.  I wanted something a little clumsier, which is why I went the multiclass route.  He has a bit more utility, but lacks the burst damage that a magus can put out.  However, it does offer a small amount of healing as well. 

The idea is that melee combat is too *fast* for my character, and that he prefers to sit back and shoot/cast, where he doesn't get overwhelmed.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Chulanowa

Name: PĂ©nelope "Penny" d'Aumont
Race: Halfling
Class: Rogue 3 / Wizard 1
Abilities roll #1: 11, 14, 15, 15
Abilities roll #2: 10, 11, 12, 11
Hit Dice rolls: 6, 6, 3
Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1071359

Background:
   Penny is the "daughter" of one of Gaius Talonius' followers, a wizard by the name of Taltus d'Aumont; A survivor of an ambush on caravan of some of the world's remaining halflings, she was adopted by the goodly wizard, and given the blessing of House Talonius by her "godfather." Well, as adventurers often do, Taltus and Gaius had a falling-out and went their separate ways, with Taltus taking his toddler "daughter" with him. The duo settled on the outskirts of Albiez-Tende, a town seeking to reclaim the now-wild hills. For several years, the aging wizard raised Penny as both his daughter and apprentice, subtly guiding her to be his heir as he assisted the town in their goals.
   Of course, it wasn't dusty tomes and cleaning up after Taltus' flock of ravens that consumed most of the growing girl's time. No, you see, Taltus needed... things. Reagents. Items. An occasional purse of gold. Maybe a scroll held by a mage or adventurer passing through. His daughter - his apprentice - served this function, of slipping out to "fetch' what he needed... Or on occasion, to poke holes in the plans of petty rivals; for though Taltus was, at heart, a good man, he was also an imperfect man, and jealous of his position.
   So Penny grew up, quick as a whip and sharp as a thistle, as adept with playing the noble's daughter, as the wizard's apprentice, or the cunning sneak. To the rest of the town, t was a small wonder that the old coot in the tower with his potions and magics could raise such a bright and charming little thing. So what if in occasion she "found" a few lost coins, or that Scroll of Disguise Self, or snuck a glass of Old Daell's apple brandy?
   When the missive from Crassus Antillus came to the far-flung mountain hamlet, Taltus was heartbroken. Though he and Gaius had last spoken words in anger, they had still been friends and allies, and had shared blood and woes. He bade his daughter to travel with the man, to deliver his condolences to Crassus firsthand, and to do her family proud. Enchanted by the lure of the world beyond the stony hills and frosty streams of her home (and the glow of gold on the messenger's fingers), Penny could only happily promise she would do exactly that.

Personality:
   Penny is quick; quick of thought, tongue, and finger. She always has some quip or remark, and seems to mysteriously always have just the tool for th job. She is enamored by gold and jewels, and more than one "mission" from her father nearly failed due to the lure of a bright gem or garland of silver lattice. when in good company, she plays the "Noble's Daughter" facade smoothly, the pretty sweet thing in a silken gown... but given the opportunity, she'll trade out the slippers for clogs, the coronet for a bandanna, and spend the night rattling dice and sneaking wine from under the barkeeper's nose.
   On a more serious note, she's well aware of her status as one of the world's remaining halflings; while she's certain that there are more that the world has simply overlooked (she was raised by a human and is still a master of stealth; imagine what halflings raised as halflings might do!) she's quite interested in possible ways to bring her kind back from the brink. They'll never be what the books say they once were, obviously, but there must be something to bring them back from the brink...

Party Role: Penny is the scout and troubleshooter. Basically a walking toolbox that an hold up in combat (or at least, not drop dead immediately.) Hosts a wide range of skills, a variety of useful spells, and enough wit and luck to last until it all comes together.

Jaded

13, 12, 10, 11: At 2014-12-09 01:04:13, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 4d8m9 Result: 46
17, 17, 13, 12: At 2014-12-09 01:04:46, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 4d8m9 Result: 59

I am leaning towards "Ametha" a Synthesist Summoner.  She would be a seventeen year old human.

Ametha was the daughter of Gaius and Ariana, a Lady-in-Waiting to a noblewoman of some power.  Ametha grew up in a noble household, but was seen as an annoyance and embarrassment, especially as the political infighting began.  No one quite dared to get rid of her, but it was always strongly implied that she would eventually have to repay the family for their kindess. 

For her part, Ametha cared little for the noble's snide remarks and plotting.  She wanted to be a great knight like her father Gaius, and spent every waking moment trying to convince various guards and knights to teach her to fight.  She was generally laughed off due to a frail build, and in her desperation turned to magic instead.  She studied, but could find little of use except in the darker magics that she refused to dabble in.  She was beginning to give up hope when she stumbled across a little known form of magic.  It allowed Ametha to summon a powerful spirit and wear it almost like a suit of armour.  Its form shimmered around her, boosting her strength and durability.  Proud and confident, she set out to follow in her father's footsteps.

A quick write up, but wanted to post something before I headed to bed.  Basically a sword wielding summoner.  She would replace (when it is summoned) her own physical ability scores with its, would use its armour, and its BAB.  Its health would be counted as temporary, and the armour would vanish when she took too much damage. 

indarkestknight

Aha well if someone else is interested in playing a Synthesist, perhaps I shouldn't write up my second character after all. After all, I had been going to use the idea of someone frail like Elric or Raistlin, too...

kckolbe

Given that there is a lot of magic in this group, I think I'll go pure "archer" (fighter/rogue hybrid) and just use Use Magic Device for healing items.  I'll take Pragmatic Activator so I can use Int for it.

Intro Thread

indarkestknight

It is kind of surprising given dear ol' Dad didn't use any magic, isn't it? Heh.

kckolbe

I see a plot device coming.  What if dad didn't use magic but was, unknowingly, magic himself?  Maybe a blessing from some god, something in his bloodline, etc, but clearly he had something that really caught on with his children. 

Intro Thread

Foxfyr

Quote from: kckolbe on December 09, 2014, 03:29:19 AM
I see a plot device coming.  What if dad didn't use magic but was, unknowingly, magic himself?  Maybe a blessing from some god, something in his bloodline, etc, but clearly he had something that really caught on with his children.

*Grins* Who's to say there wasn't already such a device in place? =P

Lockepick

I was writing a Bio and realized I had a question: Have Gaius' children distinctly never met him? Were the children left with their mother or adopted into his orphanages?  Or is it acceptable to say that my character found him before leaving his side to make her 'own legacy?'

EDIT: Also, it doesn't effect my Bio -- but will we know that dear old Dad is dead when we get there?

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Foxfyr

Quote from: lockepick on December 09, 2014, 07:56:25 AM
I was writing a Bio and realized I had a question: Have Gaius' children distinctly never met him? Were the children left with their mother or adopted into his orphanages?  Or is it acceptable to say that my character found him before leaving his side to make her 'own legacy?'

EDIT: Also, it doesn't effect my Bio -- but will we know that dear old Dad is dead when we get there?

Those born by his seed would be too young/not yet born to meet him. Adopted children may have some to several memories of him depending on how old they were when they were adopted.

The letter sent out to the heirs would have mentioned their father's passing, so everybody would be aware of this fact.

kckolbe

At 2014-12-09 11:05:15, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 1d4 Result: 1
At 2014-12-09 11:04:54, kckolbe (uid: 6919) rolls: 2d5 Result: 7  There are my health rolls

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1071386

Still working on appearance and background, have a couple of questions. 

Does Craft: Rod, Wand or Staff sound sensible to anyone?  He wouldn't personally benefit from these, as the cost of such items seem to only account for the spell cost.  Same for rings.  However, it seems a respectable enough hobby and ties into his Use Magic Device theme.  I have a total of 5 unspent skill points, looking for something that adds flavor to the character.  Additionally, if there's a craft skill that would benefit a sibling, please speak up.

Do we know anything about Dad's religious beliefs, if any?

Tiergan Talonius

Tiergan, like many young men of the time, was brought up to know combat.  Being the son of a hero with the memories of all out war still on the minds of his elders, he was trained in combat from a young age.  Despite being capable enough physically, it was his mind that impressed his tutors, and he proved amazingly adept at pinpointing weaknesses in his opponents, and memorizing the strengths and weaknesses of all manner of creatures.  Unfortunately, his reactions were not quite ideal, and he became overwhelmed quickly in combat, one of two factors that steered him toward archery.

His "sparring partner" had been younger, weaker, far less experienced with a blade...and female.  Initially, he'd fared well, his superior technique and strength keeping her at bay, but then she surprised him once and he suddenly lost consciousness.  It wasn't until afterward that he'd learned what she had managed.  Being up close and having trouble keeping up with her speed, he hadn't noticed it happening at all.

As an archer, he was able to survey the battlefield from afar, which suited him slightly better.  In addition, he could target weak spots in stance and armor without the pressure of defending himself at the same time.  Tiergan stoically bore the initial insults, nonplussed at their accurate accusation that he was a failed swordsman, but content with the fact that he was a master marksman.  Soon enough his difficulties with swordsmanship were rarely mentioned.

He was overjoyed to receive the summons to Renrir, eager for both a fresh start as well as the excitement of accomplishment, though saddened to learn that his father had died.  He'd already experienced the condescension from proper nobles, and rather than anger, Tiergan found he wanted to be accepted by them.  After all, he was intelligent, of excellent lineage (in his eyes), and capable.  Why shouldn't he be respected as a noble?  It was something he was determined to see through.

Intro Thread

Lockepick

Quote from: Loki Aesir on December 09, 2014, 08:38:36 AM
Those born by his seed would be too young/not yet born to meet him. Adopted children may have some to several memories of him depending on how old they were when they were adopted.

I'm still not sure I understand. The game takes place a few months after he died, right? And we're 16-30 years old now. Wouldn't we have time to meet him?

Foxfyr

Gaius largely remained unaffiliated with any particular deity and politely shrugged off any attempts to convert him to one.

Quote from: lockepick on December 09, 2014, 11:53:50 AM
I'm still not sure I understand. The game takes place a few months after he died, right? And we're 16-30 years old now. Wouldn't we have time to meet him?

You seem to be under the impression he was readily accessible; at most he spent a year a particular village before moving on to help the next. Tracking him down would have been difficult, particularly since he did his best to fly under the radar to prevent noble politics from finding him and making his mission all the more tedious. Over the past decade or so before his demise, he practically vanished off the map as he was setting roots in Renrir and building it up to a village in the most remote reaches of the frontier.