Signatures not showing up?

Started by Seraph, January 13, 2011, 04:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seraph

Is there something wrong on my end, or have signatures been changed deliberately to show up only for the first post you make on any given page?

Jag

I'm getting the same thing....don't really like it...
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Kye

My understanding is that it has been changed so that sigs only show up on your first post on each page.  I'm not fond of it either, it messes with my ocds.  If I had to guess it's likely because of all the people doing the huge scrolling sigs, but that's simply a guess on my part.

Oniya

Personally, I'd prefer going back to the limits we used to have on vertical sig-size.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Cecilia

Quote from: Kyrsa on January 13, 2011, 04:55:39 PM
If I had to guess it's likely because of all the people doing the huge scrolling sigs, but that's simply a guess on my part.

Not an entirely inaccurate guess, either.   :)

Saerrael

Aha! I thought I was just seeing things. Or.. not seeing things, to be more accurate.

Miss Lilly

I miss seeing my signature! :'(

Can't we just ban big sigs??
Want to get wild in the west?
Visit Lola's!

Izu

If the change is the sigs to be seen only in the first post... wouldn't it be better if they are shown only in the last one? It would be troublesome to go seek someone's first post in a given thread in order to be able to check their a/a, o/o etc...

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Oniya

It's actually once per page, so you'd only have to go to the top of that particular screen. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Izu

Still... I think it would be easier and neater if they were in the last post of the person.

P.S. After all if you are in an RP you won't start reading the page from the top - you go to the new post, read the last post and if your rp partner has update their sig for some reason - like most do when they go absent... well you won't see it.

Oreo

Actually I would like to see the signature window limit enforced so there is no scrolling in the signatures. It is a nuisance when using the arrow keys or mouse to scroll rather than the scroll bar on the right. They get stuck in the signature boxes and scroll them rather than the page.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Vekseid

Quote from: Oreo on January 14, 2011, 04:32:48 AM
Actually I would like to see the signature window limit enforced so there is no scrolling in the signatures. It is a nuisance when using the arrow keys or mouse to scroll rather than the scroll bar on the right. They get stuck in the signature boxes and scroll them rather than the page.

Problem is I can't actually completely prevent this. Nor does just clipping it help : /

I've put in enforced limits and can cut them down if need be, but that doesn't affect people who already have scrolling signatures.

Izu

And can you make it, Veks, so that sigs are shown in the last post?

Oreo

Quote from: Vekseid on January 14, 2011, 04:47:39 AM
Problem is I can't actually completely prevent this. Nor does just clipping it help : /

I've put in enforced limits and can cut them down if need be, but that doesn't affect people who already have scrolling signatures.
Okay, thank you for addressing my query. The best we can do is hope people respect the limits ~♥~

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Beguile's Mistress

Clicking the avatar or member name in the sidebar will take you to the profile for that member.  Right click to open in a new tab or window.  The signature is at the bottom of the profile page.  This may be a better way to check out a member you are curious about since the "Show Posts" option is there.

Izu

That's if I'm meeting someone for the first time - yes. But if you know this one person and you roleplay or you talk in a socializing thread - do you have to open the profile and keep refreshing it all day long in case they change something? I just thing that it's more handy if it's the last post you made on a page. That way the ones reading your newest post will notice the change right away and not only in case they for some reason check your profile or scroll all the way up to the page. I dunno... this is the first time I actually come across a forum where the sigs are shown only at the top. All the forums I've been to either have it on each post or in the last post.

Nitro

Well I noticed it yesterday, But I have my thing set up to show the newest post first and each time I go to a thread like one of my games I have noticed on the newest post that the signature is in there. I like it to where the signatures do not flood the page it gives more room I think for the posts, But I always see it on the newest post by that specific person and I have noticed that it is like that with mine and I do not mind it.

Amelita

Hah, I thought I was just going crazy ::)

Okay, so big sigs are the main problem? ...is mine too big? Or is it just the scrolling ones? (I don't let mine go to scrolling because I don't like having to scroll in others')

If mine's too big I'd like to know so I can make it smaller and set a good example...

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Oreo

Only the ones that scroll are too big. I keep mine in the limits for the same purpose.

Izu

And... I'll ask again...

And if it's possible I'd like Veks to answer, because it is up to him after all...

Can't we have the only signatures that are showing to be the last posts of the person in a given thread/page? Not the first ones? After all when one checks a thread they click on the NEW bulb that takes them to the newest posts that are not always the first and/or only on the page...

Vekseid

I haven't looked at the code yet. I may just remove it if people hate it so much.

Izu

No, I like the idea of having only one signature, just it would be better if it's the last post of this person as I've explained why... Most people use their signatures as notifications. That's of course if it's not too hard to code it... but I don't think it should be all that hard... I dunno...

Amelita

Quote from: Vekseid on January 15, 2011, 04:37:35 AM
I haven't looked at the code yet. I may just remove it if people hate it so much.

I like it. Less clutter.

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Trieste

I think the changes you've made really are fine, Veks. It's a good compromise, and after all, you can make someone's newest post be the first on the page, which solves the problem of having the sig on the newest post.

Thanks for trying to fix it. :)

Nadir

I recently changed my preferences to stop the sigs showing all together, but it's a hassle when I want a link that's in there and have to go the long way around to get to it - this upgrade is a really great middleground between the two. Thanks Veks.