News:

Main Menu

time travel stories

Started by Lady Quixote, October 14, 2012, 08:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Quixote

Hi There,

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows if this plot has been tried in a time travel story:

You have two people (person A and person B), B dies so A travels back in time to stop B from being killed.  In order to save B, A is killed.  Now B is determined to go back in time to save A which brings it back to the beginning where B dies causing A to go back in time...

Basically this is a dual loop time travel story instead of a single loop that you normally see.

Thanks,
Matt

(PS in case you are wondering this idea popped into my head while listening to Ludo's Broken Bride pt 1...now if only my copy of the CD arrives I can hear the other parts)

Jillabelle

As far as I know (which isn't much, sorry) I've not seen this done.

Even if it -has- been done, somewhere, by someone... that's not to say you can't do your own version! I say, go for it!! It sounds cool! (although sad/bittersweet... unless they finally find a way!)

Teo Torriatte

Is this something you are thinking about wanting to write with someone else? Or something you were going to write as a non-interactive story?

Either way, it sounds like a really interesting plot. It almost has the same feeling of hopelessness that pervaded 'The Butterfly Effect'

Lady Quixote

Sadly I was not thinking about writing a story around it, I was mostly just curious (and didn't have a good way to submit my google search).

It is true that it's not a happy story but then again most stories with time travel don't always have a happy ending.

Oh well, thank you for your help.
Matt

Teo Torriatte

If I wasn't knee deep in the alien world I am trying to develop, I might actually try to steal the idea and write it with someone. With your permission, of course.  :-)

But that is fairly moot, because I really don't have time to start any more new stories right now.

Trystia

This sounds interesting, but sadly, I cannot say I've ever encountered anything matching this sort of a time loop. I'd love to read it if you found/created one though, as I've long had a passion for stories involving various manners of time loops. (Though, to be honest, my favourite is the type found in Groundhog Day or Replay. If I could have any superpower at all, it would be to be able to relive days at will the way Bill Murray's character did in Groundhog Day.)

Lady Quixote

Luna, please feel free to use this as any permission would want to write the story if and when you have time/feel so inclined.  I don't really do much in the way of writing nor consider myself to be very good, so it would nice to see someone take my plot bunny and get some use out of them.

Have a great weekend.
Matt