Star Wars Force & Destiny [Recruiting!]

Started by Datawych, May 23, 2016, 10:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

I think I'm going to drop my application to this one, have fun everyone.

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Datawych on May 27, 2016, 07:18:28 PM
Dunno, should you? I didn't say no.

We're at 5 character applications right now, but applications aren't closed.

While that's true, it's sometimes looked upon as bad form to apply to a game which has already reached maximum capacity.  Hence why I thought it prudent to ask for permission first.  I don't know what kind of GM you are, so I wanted to make sure I avoided unnecessarily irritating you.  If it's not a problem, I'll throw my character into the pile for consideration then. 

Name: Serin Marroba
Species: Human
Career: Guardian (Soresu Defender)
Signature Force power: Battle Meditation (see notes below)

The character concept for Serin is one of an intellectually-inquisitive young man who has invested his time into understanding how bodies and beings actually function on a physical as well as metaphysical level through the Force.  This has led to a bit of medical skill and flair for games of strategy.  An easy personality, but also easily lost to new possibilities.  I know Battle Meditation is not able to be gained at character creation because of the Force Rating requirement.  I wanted to list it there as a goal since that is something I would like to eventually gain with the character as it fits his character concept and personality rather well.  Perhaps I could "bank" the 25 XP from character creation toward that goal?  If not, I am willing to choose another Force Power for character creation as long as Battle Meditation is not off the table for the character's future progression. 

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Datawych on May 24, 2016, 07:20:05 PM

• Formal Force Training - There are firmly established levels of achievement within the Jedi Order, and neophytes must demonstrate sufficient mastery of multiple different subjects before advancing to a higher rank. After reaching the first rank of achievement, a Padawan is considered competent enough to operate semi-independently. From there, a Padawan achieves knighthood once able to demonstrate that he or she is capable of successfully completing tasks assigned by the council without any assistance from his/her Master(s).
      Effects: I'm aware that a major reason most people are interested in a Force & Destiny game specifically is because lightsabers are awesome. But I do think there is value in the PCs having a few adventures where they don't yet have that as a fallback. Characters begin with 75 XP. 50 of this XP must be spent on talents and skills, while the remaining 25 must be spent on Force powers. 'Knight-level' is achieved at 150 XP (think Obi-Wan at the beginning of tPM or Akakin in AotC), ~100 XP on skills/talents, ~50 XP on force powers. However, a Jedi is not considered to have come into his/her own as a Jedi Knight until around 225 XP (~150 skills/talents, ~75 Force powers).

I actually have a bit of a question about this.  The lowered experience points don't really allow us to raise our starting stat points very much.  Is this an intentional move on your part?  I'm inquiring largely because it seems like your original intention in reducing the amount of starting experience is to lower the amount of skill points we would be gaining, but the inability to raise stat points may be an unintended consequence.  Generally, it makes it very difficult to play a human if one wanted to start with a 4 in a stat, for example.  The amount of starting experience is usually a way to humans to balance well against other races by allowing them the ability to raise to similar stat levels if they so choose.  I may have to alter my character's race otherwise in order for him to be less restricted by the system to play the way I would have liked to.  A Cerean would be a good example to work with.  I would prefer him to be human for plotline reasons, if possible, though I defer to your judgment on the matter. [/list]

TheGlyphstone

It's not lowered XP, the 75 award is on top of regular racial starting XP.

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 28, 2016, 06:05:37 PM
    It's not lowered XP, the 75 award is on top of regular racial starting XP.

Well, if that's the case, there's just about enough for me to work with Battle Meditation at character generation while still having a decent character!  Though, he may end up fitting the trope of being strong in the Force, but practically rather inexperienced, which seems to fit the bill for what the GM rather well!  I wrote up a rough character sheet for approval. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Race: Human
    110 + 50 + 25 + 10 = 195 XP
    Career: Guardian (Soresu Defender, Protector [5 XP])
    Force Rating: 2
    Wound: 10
    Strain: 10

Brawn: 2
    Agility: 2
    Intellect: 2 --> 4 [70 XP]
    Cunning: 2
    Willpower: 2
    Presence: 2

Skills: [5 XP]
    Cool: 1 (Guardian)
    Discipline: 1 (Guardian)
    Knowledge (Lore) : 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Leadership: 1 (Human)
    Lightsaber: 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Resilience: 1 (Guardian)
    Medicine: 1
    Mechanics: 1 (Human)

Talents (Protector): [75 XP]
    Body Guard
    Physician
    Stimpack Specialization
    Force Protection
    Force Rating

Talents (Soresu Defender): [15 XP]
    Parry
    Soresu Technique

Force Powers:
    Battle Meditation (Magnitude x2) [25 XP]

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 29, 2016, 01:41:12 AM
    Well, if that's the case, there's just about enough for me to work with Battle Meditation at character generation while still having a decent character!  Though, he may end up fitting the trope of being strong in the Force, but practically rather inexperienced, which seems to fit the bill for what the GM rather well!  I wrote up a rough character sheet for approval. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Race: Human
    110 + 50 + 25 + 10 = 195 XP
    Career: Guardian (Soresu Defender, Protector [5 XP])
    Force Rating: 2
    Wound: 10
    Strain: 10

Brawn: 2
    Agility: 2
    Intellect: 2 --> 4 [70 XP]
    Cunning: 2
    Willpower: 2
    Presence: 2

Skills: [5 XP]
    Cool: 1 (Guardian)
    Discipline: 1 (Guardian)
    Knowledge (Lore) : 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Leadership: 1 (Human)
    Lightsaber: 1 (Soresu Defender)
    Resilience: 1 (Guardian)
    Medicine: 1
    Mechanics: 1 (Human)

Talents (Protector): [75 XP]
    Body Guard
    Physician
    Stimpack Specialization
    Force Protection
    Force Rating

Talents (Soresu Defender): [15 XP]
    Parry
    Soresu Technique

Force Powers:
    Battle Meditation (Magnitude x2) [25 XP]

I don't have a problem with it, but where is everyone getting this mysterious +10 XP from? Y'all know you have to start as Dark Side users to get that, right?

Unless it's from somewhere else that I don't know about.

Sorry I haven't been giving this thread as much attention as I should have been. My harddrive bit the dust recently and composing anything longer than a few sentences on a smartphone makes me want to throw things.

Here's the OOC, which has a link to the Character Thread. Since we have 5/5 PCs, that means I don't need to cut anyone. Now would be the time to finalize your characters (Emotional Strength/Weakness, Morality, Cultural Background, Force Experience, and Heeding The Call).

TheGlyphstone

Remember that by the book, you choose one of (+10 XP, +2500 Credits, +5 XP and +1000 Credits, Start as Dark Side, Start as Force Paragon). It was a houserule that changed so we only get a bonus if we start Dark Side, which Person might have missed.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2016, 06:12:31 PM
    Remember that by the book, you choose one of (+10 XP, +2500 Credits, +5 XP and +1000 Credits, Start as Dark Side, Start as Force Paragon). It was a houserule that changed so we only get a bonus if we start Dark Side, which Person might have missed.
    Maybe I'm reading the entry wrong, but the way it's written it sounds like you can ONLY get the +10 XP, +2500cr, or +5 XP +1000cr if you start at 29 or 71 Morality.

Or does everyone get ONE of those, and two of the choices are 29/71 Morality?

TheGlyphstone

QuoteInitially, each character begins with a Morality of 50. However, to represent their prior experiences in the galaxy, they can choose to modify their starting Morality or to gain additional experience points or credits with which to purchase additional gear. When creating a character, each player may select one of the following options for that character.
    • Gain + 10 starting XP. This XP increases the starting XP the PC gains when the player selects a species, and it can be spent to increase skills or characteristics, purchase talents, or obtain new specializations or Force powers. More on spending XP is covered on page 102.
    • Gain + 2,500 starting credits. This money may be spent on the PC’s starting gear or saved to be spent during gameplay. More on spending starting credits is covered on page 107.
    • Gain + 5 starting XP and + 1,000 starting credits.
    • Increase or decrease the PC’s starting Morality by 21. This gives the PC the option of beginning with a Morality of 29 or a Morality of 71. More on Morality thresholds can be found on page 52.
    So yeah, by the RAW you can do one or the other, they're not dependent.

Datawych

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 29, 2016, 08:31:57 PM
    So yeah, by the RAW you can do one or the other, they're not dependent.
    Ohhh, yeah, suddenly that makes way more sense. In that case, you can all treat that normally, then.

I thought the XP/Credits were a reward for taking a Morality 'penalty' (either being Dark Side or not being able to use black pips AT ALL).

A Person On A Computer

You guys freaked me out a bit yesterday!  That made me question everything I knew about the system (which is quite a lot since I've been working with it since the beta of Edge of the Empire).  I actually had to go back through it again to make sure I hadn't been misreading it for years!  xD

But yeah, basically we choose one of those options, so the degree of Light/Dark Side is independent of the others.  It's just a choice to determine whether you want to adjust your character's morality, experience, or credit totals before the end of character generation. 

A Person On A Computer

By the way, wanted to see what you thought about this, Datawych.  I'm thinking about taking a Curved Hilt attachment for my character.  The game seems to state that Training Sabers are mostly regular hilts with Training Crystals in them, so it stands to reason that I could use a Curved Hilt and simply take out the Training Crystal later to be replaced with a regular lightsaber crystal when we get to that point.  I just wanted to see if this is what you would want for thematic purposes even though it is in the system RAW. 

Also, what is your ruling on adding modifications with our own personal Mechanics skill before the game starts?  I have met GMs that had preferences both ways on that subject, so I thought I would inquire as to whether or not you would allow us to do this. 

Datawych

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 30, 2016, 07:22:29 AM
    By the way, wanted to see what you thought about this, Datawych.  I'm thinking about taking a Curved Hilt attachment for my character.  The game seems to state that Training Sabers are mostly regular hilts with Training Crystals in them, so it stands to reason that I could use a Curved Hilt and simply take out the Training Crystal later to be replaced with a regular lightsaber crystal when we get to that point.  I just wanted to see if this is what you would want for thematic purposes even though it is in the system RAW. 

Also, what is your ruling on adding modifications with our own personal Mechanics skill before the game starts?  I have met GMs that had preferences both ways on that subject, so I thought I would inquire as to whether or not you would allow us to do this.
    I'd be alright with you using a curved hilt, but... Pre-modding attachments seems like shaky ground to me. I don't think the Order would be overly enthused by the notion of a Padawan modifying a lightsaber before they're even considered qualified to wield a fully-fledged one. Not without supervision from someone with a better idea of what they're doing, anyway.

If you can find a teacher a decent Mechanics or Lightsaber rating, I'd allow it, though.

Datawych

Also - would everyone mind moving discussion to the OOC thread? That way we don't keep bumping this thread to the top of the Seeking forum despite applications being closed.

A Person On A Computer

A Person On A Computer

Writing this here in case the GM wants a full game.  I'm stepping out of the game, so my spot will be empty. 

Jayna

If a spot did open up I am more than willing to dye in and fill it

Datawych

Quote from: Jayna on June 01, 2016, 02:42:40 AM
    If a spot did open up I am more than willing to dye in and fill it
    Sure! We're currently in the process of fleshing out characters and building character sheets. There's a copiable character application in the first comment in this thread, and here's a link to the OOC.

Jayna

Thanks! I am the opening manager at work tomorrow so I doubt I can realisticly get to it tonight but I will work on it tomorrow afternoon!

Datawych

We had some of our PCs withdraw, so character applications are reopened for the time being!

Datawych

We currently have 2 PCs, and I'd like to add 1 or 2 more.

TheGlyphstone

And with a Hutt and Chiss as the two existing, we've got plenty of room for variety. Ragtag band of misfits ahoy!

Drowdeviant

*Looks at thread...for some reason now has the urge to play a Gank turned Jedi* xD
    My F-list: https://www.f-list.net/c/wolf%20king%20ii
    My A/As: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=223237.0 -My RPs and how many I can do at one time