(ORP) Peace and Quiet and a little bit of trouble.

Started by Rozel, August 28, 2010, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rozel

(Modern RP, open to anyone that wants to participate.)

The Truck was laden down with all the apparent necessities, and probably things they wouldn't even need. But you never knew. What if, right? The items in the back consisted of all the camping gear they could think of that they possessed. Even a few new things they hadn't. There were even a few things she didn't understand even how they worked. She shrugged as she put them in with the other items. Why a camping trip? she thought to herself. Why not a nice hotel somewhere? she shrugged, and the last of the things were secured down.

Climbing in she settled into her seat and pulled out her small travel bag. Book, check. Crossword, check. Cards, check. Dice, check. She was pretty sure there were other things that would be needed, but hopefully they would not stray too far off the beaten path.
She smiled as she waited for Lonestar to climb into the cab. She didn't want to seem prissy, but the idea of dirt and grime was not exactly her idea of a vacation.

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.
My Ons and Offs: ~♠Funs, Not so Funs and Maybes with Roz♠~
Musings and Thoughts: 𓆩*𓆪Available Stories𓆩*𓆪
Sorry: ~~A/A's~~
{Slow return, its been a while. }

Lonestar

Lonestar watched as Rozel took inventory of the items stored securely in the truck bed as he piled on the last of the potentially needed items. He then walked to the drivers side of the truck and climbed up into the seat. He turned to gaze at Rozel who had taken her spot beside him. She was strikingly gorgeous her shoulder length auburn framing her face perfectly. "Do you think we have everything we'll need?" he asked with a small chuckle.

Lonestar produced a small key from his shirt pocket, put it in the ignition and fired the truck up with a small burst of dirty black smoke. Putting the truck into gear he pulled it out of the driveway and onto the street. "I suppose you are curious as to why I chose roughing it in nature as opposed to a comfortable hotel somewhere?" He mused slightly, "Well, it is like this." He paused slightly. "I justed wanted us to get back to nature live off the land for a week or so...you know fish, hunt, pick berries, and forage for other forms of food....what do you think?" He glanced sideways over at Rozel
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. ~George Carlin

Rozel

At his question, she shrugged lightly. If we don't have everything, I am sure we will by the time we get back. As he started the truck and pulled out of the drive, she noticed that the sun was emerging from behind the fluffy white clouds.

Roughing it. Sounds like fun... she thought sarcastically, but didn't say so. I thought we were supposed to be relaxing. I hope I am not going to have to compete with the bugs for food. She gasped suddenly. I forgot bug spray!  I knew there was something I was forgetting. She didn't have the heart to ask him to turn around. How far out are we going anyhow? You never did say exactly where we were headed.

She settled into her seat a bit more, getting comfortable and pulled out her crossword to entertain herself.

When I lay my head on the pillow at night, I can say I was a decent person today. That's when I feel beautiful.

Lonestar

"Well,  remember when my colleague at work told us about that nice little camping spot he stayed at by the lake?" He said, "I got him to give me driving directions to it!" Lonestar smiled. "Yes, we will need the bug spray stuff. We'll have to find a store or something along the way"

Lonestar turned the truck onto the main road through town and began the drive towards the highway. "Are you telling me that you've never gone camping before this day Roz?" He asked her, "I admit myself not having much experience camping but what is there to know really?"

Lonestar busied himself with finding some traveling music on the radio while he awaited her response

Rozel

Oh boy. She laughed suddenly. You don't have much experience, and I really.. have avoided it until now. Why does this suddenly remind me of the Beverly Hillbillies, but .. in the reverse? She mused over the puzzle but did not really read any words. She then looked at him and winked. Remind me who that Buddie is of yours later, so that I can thank him when we get back. She giggled then, hoping that she didn't sound too serious. She was up for the challenge of the outdoors. As long as there was a place to wash her hands, that was all that mattered. And maybe a bathing area.

Putting the booklet away. Well, lets not really worry for now.. lets just get there before it gets dark and get things set up. I am sure everything will be fine. She thought for a moment. You are not going to make me touch worms are you? She said with a wry smile. Fishing I can do, worms and....She shuddered lightly.

Lonestar

*reminds himself to keep his friends' identity secret* "yeah I sure will Roz" Lonestar agreed...weakly. "Did you need to stop for anything special before we hit the freeway?" he asked. He continued to drive through town looking at the odd shops scattered here and there taking time to look over at Roz. no matter how often he got to look at her he was still dumbfounded by her graceful features figure and auburn hair. It made him fall in love all over again every time.

Rozel

At his question, she looks at him thinking. Nope. It should be ok about the bugs. And if they get too bad, then we can always leave to get some spray. I just don't feel like getting out of the truck again. Want to get there, get things set up and settled. She said in a tone that was almost that of convincing herself, more than anything.

She had been quietly thinking about it and she was starting to get used to the idea of camping. Maybe it won't be too bad.

Lonestar

Ok then we shall continue along our way then. He pulled the truck onto the freeway headed east towards the rising sun and soon got up to speed and set the cruise. He then focused his attention on that of his beautiful companion Rozel. So, what should be our first plan of attack? He asked her. We should be there in 2 hours. He smiled a wry smile and winked at her. Shall we go fishing for food, chop some wood for a fire, or maybe just sit in the cabin that will be there fully stocked with basic needs for a good time! He let out a small chuckle at the revelation.

Rozel

She gave him a sour look, though it was not genuine in nature. Ha. Ha. She said. Knowing he was poking fun at her. She lightened her expression. Lets just play it by ear, shall we? I think once we have things unloaded, fishing will probably be needed.. if you want to eat. She tossed back her own kind of fun poke toward him. Do you know if the cabin has a way of cooking inside? Secretly she hoped for cooking inside, but doubted that it would be.

Lonestar

He laughed when she did knowing that the sour look never meant anything. you're right we will need to catch some food...i can handle that part. He smiled as he sensed a sigh of relief part from her lips.  My friend says that the cabin is equipped with a generator but, I think it is only for the icebox. I'm sure we'll manage either way though. The noon day sun was straight overhead when he pulled off of the main highway and onto a lower classed secondary road. Just another 10-15 miles from here according to the directions given to me. He turned his gaze slightly to Rozel. Don't worry about a thing...we are going to have a great time and long week-end without hassle

Rozel

Sounds like cooking over an outdoor pit... But her words were cut short by the sudden lurch of the truck and a spit and sputter. She looked at Lone and almost winced. What.. Her hands came to rest on the dash in front of her. Oh no... she said as the truck came to halt quickly. How far away are we?

Lonestar

A look of concern crosses his face as the truck begins to spurt and sputter. He looks over at Roz to see her gripping the dashboard tightly. Oh for Pete's sake He began, what can be the trouble with this thing now. He wondered, besides it being 15 years old and in dire need of an oil change....brake work...complete over-haul. He got out of the truck and popped the hood open looking at the engine like he knew what he was doing. Well, it is nearly 10 miles which doesn't sound like far but when you're walking... his voiced trailed off. He rummaged for his cell phone but couldn't find it anywhere. that is when it dawned on him he purposely left it at home so he could spend the long week-end with Roz and not tied to the office in any way. An idea which is now haunting him. Well, he began, I'll pack up the most essential of items and we'll lock everything else here in the cab and begin to hike it...what will you need the most? he asked.

Rozel

I don't mind walking in, but should we just leave the truck like this? She looked to him with concern. Maybe someone can help us.. She climbed out of the truck to look for any sort of traffic, not seeing any yet.

Why don't we wait for a little while. It has to be something simple. She tried to remember the last time the truck had acted the same way. She looked up to the sky. Oh, please someone come by and help us. She said to herself silently.

Lonestar

Perhaps you are right He said, we better not leave the truck stuck out here. Lonestar began scanning the highway up and down searching from any approaching traffic. feeling a little discouraged he went to stand beside Rozel and gripped her in a tight hug. I'm so sorry this trip hasn't started out as planned, he began, I'll make it up to you once we get to the cabin on the lake, ok?

Almost an hour had passed and there was not one vehicle in either direction. He was feeling really dejected when he thought he saw movement out of the corner of his eye. He stood away from the truck a short distance and shaded his eyes with his hand. Sure enough there was a truck heading this way. Rozel! there's a truck coming honey! he voice sounded surprisingly uplifted at this realization he just had to hope now that they would be able to help them out. he ran and stood partly in the roadway so that the driver could see them and he watched as the driver slowed his vehicle to a stop.

Rozel

The truck that stopped was huge. It wasn't quite a Semi-Tractor, but close enough. As the man clambered down from his seat, her eyes fell upon the hook for one of his hands. Did people -still- use hooks these days? or was that his preferred weapon? She couldn't help it as her imagination ran away with her. She stood motionless as the man asked if they needed assistance. Erm, Um.. yes. I think. She stammered.

The big man let out a chuckle, and ignored her obvious fright, walking to the front of their truck. It was then that she noticed that his flannel plaid shirt was fairly dirty. Maybe he worked on cars for a living..He fiddled with something under the hood and poked his head around to look at Lonestar. Try that. He suggested, meaning for Lone to try starting the truck.

Lonestar

Lonestar could do nothing but stare at the hook-handed man as he climbed down outta his truck spoke briefly to Rozel and then went to fiddle with the engine. It wasn't much longer when he poked his head from behind the hood and said "Try that." Lone walked over to the open drivers' side door and turned the key in the ignition....the engine roared to life! I can't thank-you enough He said to the guy and started to reach for his  wallet. Put that away! the man said with obvious disgust in his voice. I stop and help folks stranded on this highway because I want not because I need money. I almost think it a little insulting. He started to return to his truck but, stopped before climbing up in. Tell you what, he began, if you want to make it up to me then I'll ask one favor of you...if you ever come across someone stranded as you yourself were...don't drive on by ok? Lone looked at the man with a credulous look on his face. Um no of course not we wouldn't dream of it He then bade the man farewell and returned to the truck where he and Rozel shared a puzzled expression. What do you suppose that was all about? he asked.

Rozel

Roz watched the exchange between the two men with cautiously. And as the man in the truck drove away, a sense of relief fled her that she didn't really know that she had been holding back. I don't really know.. she replied to Lone. Lets not hang around. It is getting kind of late in the day and.. she looked around the high-way where they were.. it is a little on the creepy side. The trees were thick and mossy, almost like a rain-forest, but not the tropical kind.

She shook away an instant shudder and climbed into the truck awaiting Lone to join her. Yeah.. lets get out of here.. she thought.

Lonestar

I agree with you he said quickly. He got back into the truck and waited for Roz to close her door before starting putting the vehicle back into motion. I'm actually kinda glad that we are finally on our way to the cabin. A look of peaceful serenity washes over his face.

After about an hour delay and 20 minutes of driving the cabin finally appeared. He pulled the truck into the drive and applied the E-brake.  He made short work of unloading the truck with Roz pitching in too. When it was done he collapsed onto the couch exhausted. He called over to Roz for her to join him sitting. Well, what do you think of the place?....not too bad eh?

Rozel

She was actually relieved when they finally arrived at the cabin. It wasn't as skeletal as she was expecting and it was strange how the windows were just open squares with bug mesh over the windows, with shutters for covers. Unloading the truck went smoothly. The inner of the cabin had counter space enough, in the kitchen/living area, a small bedroom off to the left as you entered the door. There was no running water, just a hand pump out side. The small generator only ran the small refrigerator that sat below the counter next to a 5 gallon bucket that sat below the kitchen sink wells to catch any used liquid.

She was ok with having to cook outside in the firepit and if they needed they had brought along some camp stoves and cilindars, but those were to be used only if there was no way to cook otherwise. The extended large porch contained a wood table with attached benches, like you would see in a county park. The other side a swing. It almost felt like she was in hill-billy hell, but she said nothing of the sort. Of all the things, the one thing that creeped her out the most was the outhouse.

The privy was set off close to the woods. That in its self was creepy enough. But an Outhouse?!? If she had to go at night, she would hold it!

When he called her to the couch, or sad stand in of a couch, she crossed her arms over her chest and kicked his foot lightly. Nodding toward the lake she smiled. I don't have time to sit yet, you nerd. Nodding toward the lake she smiled. You going to go catch us some supper while I put some of this... she looked around... stuff, away? Not to mention straightening up, sweeping of the nasty cobwebs and cleaning that needed doing.

Lonestar

He jumped slightly at being booted. Fish? he questioned. Oh yes of course I was just going to do that right away. he said. He walked over to the truck and grabbed the only thing that remained in the body a small open reel fishing pole, tackle, and a jar marked bait. what kind of fish we'll possibly catch in this here lake? He wondered to himself and wandered off down to the shore.

The sun was starting its decent into the western sky which told Lonestar it was roughly 6 o'clock which coincidently is what his wrist watch said too!. He threaded the fishing line through the eyes and tied on a hook. He then picked up the jar and screwed off the lid. Looking down at the worms he spoke to them "Which one of you would like to go for a swim" he mused. He picked out an exceptionally large worm and pierced the hook through its wriggling form. He cast the baited hook into the lake and waited to do the dance that comes with fighting a fish on his line. As he waited he thought about Roz and what she was doing up at the cabin...

Rozel

As soon as he was gone she got to work. Just what everyone wants, to clean on their vacation. She laughed inwardly at the thought. But she set to the task anyhow. The cobwebs were removed, the floor was swept and most everything was put away. As she turned her attention to the kitchen area, she went out to get water. She was surprised to find that the water looked clean and clear from the hand pump well. Back inside she set it upon the counter knowing that a fire is needed if any cooking would be done.

Her attempts as starting a fire were embarrassing at best. Frustrated and out of patience she went in search of her better half to see if he could help with it. As she walked down to the lake, she smiled as she watched him upon approaching. How goes the luck? She asked moving to stand close to him to look out over the water. It was beautiful in the evening here. That she couldn't deny.

Lonestar

Deftly he pulled the line through he water with the tempting morsel on the hook.  He repeated the process over and over and not even a single bite. Cast after cast yielded the same result.

He started to show signs of despair when Roz walked up behind him. Oh I'm getting loads of nibbles he lied. He cast the line into the water again as he had done several times before and pulled it in as before as well. This time was different and he chalked it up to having Roz near him. He fought the fish which struggled to free itself from its predicament it had gotten itself into while looking for a morning meal. The fish soon tired and he was able to land it upon the shore line. He held up his catch fro Roz to see. What a beaut he said. have you gotten a fire ready yet? he asked.

Rozel

She watched as he reeled a fish in and onto the shore. She was very glad that he had taken the job of fishing. Hopefully he would also do the cleaning. Nah, No luck. The newsprint I tried using is just a tad on the damp side. I would say forget the whole fire thing, but I really don't want to have to use the cylinders already. Especially since it is not raining. She smiled at him in catching something. Maybe this wasn't going to be so bad.

Would you like me to sit with you? Or, try some more with that fire? I don't mind trying again, but it was really kinda ticking me off. Either that or it may be better if both of us work on it. The embers just go out too quickly for me to get anything to catch. She looked around for something to sit on, but didn't see any large rocks or logs to perch upon. Instead, she sat down cross-legged and watched, wondering what he thought about the situation.

Lonestar

I love to help you with the fire Roz he said. Just let me get this fish cleaned up first so that it'll be ready for cooking. He took a small knife from his tackle and deftly sliced open the fish from its neck down its belly and scooped out the insides and threw them into the water. Next he cut off the head and tail sections too. Using the water in the lake he cleaned off the remains of the intestines and also the fish blood. He also washed up his own hands and packed up the fishing pole and the tackle.

He approached Roz's sitting figure and offered her an elbow seeing as it did not reek of fish or worms to help her to her feet.
Shall we return to the cabin my sweet? he asked her.

Rozel

She watched as he cleaned the fish and she wrinkled her nose as he did so. She wasn't the sort that really liked the thought that they ate animals. An animal lover by nature, it was hard to wrap her head around the thought that animals sacrificed their lives for their own. At his offered arm, she gladly took it and they headed back up to the cabin.

At the cabin she let him take over in getting the fire started while she prepared everything else. She scrubbed up potatoes and readied some other vegetables. Hopefully they would be eating soon. Exiting the cabin she figured to check out how Lone was doing with the fire. Leaning against the porch support posts, she watched him work. Hows it going? She asked from a distance behind him. Her vegetables were ready in a pan and the potatoes were sliced and waiting patiently in a cast iron skillet.