Trying to get started on True Blood

Started by Skynet, October 14, 2012, 02:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

Every so often, I sometimes flip to shows which sound interesting when there's nothing good on TV.

I flipped to an episode of True Blood.  The premise of the show catches my eye, and the episode I saw so far was neat, but it appears that it's the kind of show you have to watch from the beginning in order to understand.  When I tried watching I just felt in the dark on it.

There's no videos of the first episodes on YouTube, or Hulu for that matter, and HBO's site makes you pay to download it from iTunes.

For fans of the show, how would you describe it?  How do I know if the show is for me?

Vanity Evolved

I'm not really a fan, but I've heard Sookie gets more annoying as the series goes on from the friends I have who do like it.

If you're into somewhat rough sex, lots of nymph-like vampires and underwear model vampires fucking each other and getting naked, I hear it's pretty good.

Beguile's Mistress

The show is based (loosely) on a series of books by Charlaine Harris.  I like the HBO treatment of the story but there are things about it that irk me.  That is true for many of us with many things.

Sookie Stackhouse lives in the small town of Bon Temp, Louisiana, and has encounters with vampires, werewolves and shapeshifters.  Since the show is on a cable channel there is graphic sex, violence and coarse language but nothing you don't see in movies.  If you begin at the beginning and can overlook some of the more campy stuff you should enjoy watching as long as the genre appeals to you.

Reading the books is much better in my opinion.

Vanity Evolved

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on October 14, 2012, 03:03:20 PM
The show is based (loosely) on a series of books by Charlaine Harris.  I like the HBO treatment of the story but there are things about it that irk me.  That is true for many of us with many things.

Sookie Stackhouse lives in the small town of Bon Temp, Louisiana, and has encounters with vampires, werewolves and shapeshifters.  Since the show is on a cable channel there is graphic sex, violence and coarse language but nothing you don't see in movies.  If you begin at the beginning and can overlook some of the more campy stuff you should enjoy watching as long as the genre appeals to you.

Reading the books is much better in my opinion.

Yeah, HBO seem to be good at that - I hear lots of good things about HBO's adaption of Game of Thrones, but I've yet to see or read either. What I wouldn't give for a HBO TV series of Scott Pilgrim.

Jag

I love True Blood at the beginning, but around mid-season three, I lost interest. Sookie just bothers me now. But I found seasons one, two, and part of three well worth watching. My husband has read the books, but I've yet to. He prefers the books.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Salvation

I loved first season and second wasn't too bad.  I just caught on the latest one, and well.. I still am interested enough to watch.  Then again, it could be the men that keep me looking at .. ahem, anyway, I read the books originally, and I do prefer them.  HBO hasn't done an entirely bad job at the adaptation, but yeah, not sure that I like all the directions that the series is going in.

SinfulAngel

Im a pervy person so I rather enjoy the show with its vast amount of nudity and potentially rough sex scenes. The story over all isn't bad. Sookie does get a tad annoying but no where near as bad as bella *grumbles about twilight and sparkling rediculous vampires*

Anyway it overall is worth the time if you are interested in an adult show based around vampires and the like. Game of thrones is a better series to get started on if you are just looking for a good adult show.

Updated Unicorn 1/24/17
      Active stories ~ 5  Post time frame 1-5 days

Remy

I loved the first season..I think I was actually shocked by the sex on main stream tv, rather than the love of a vampiric show.  I would still love to be watching it, but Anna Paquin makes me itchy with irritability with just about everything she says.  I just can't look at her in this show and I'm afraid, if I don't like an actor/actress, you've lost me.

But other than her, the show was good, just a pity she was cast in the role.

Salvation

Yeah, Anna Paquin can get annoying over time, though she hasn't put me completely off True Blood just yet.

lilhobbit37

I love True Blood, but I have to admit that I no longer like Sookie. She started off a character that had a lot of options on how to develop her. Unfortunately I feel like she has never actually developed as a character, and instead is just annoying now, because she doesn't want to be "innocent Sookie" anymore, but can't seem to pull off anything beyond that.

But I do still like the show, and I love the developments in Eric, Tara, and Pam's characters the most. They have really grown over the seasons.