Scion: Viva La Revalucion!

Started by Muse, May 10, 2007, 01:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

In the village of Koso, the god Shango birthed three sons, one to each of his two wives at the time, and a third to his favorite prostitute who was working the streets to support her brothers and sisters. 

The eldest he named Shakir, the second Dingane, and the illegitimate Mhlangana, for the great Zulu king and his two half brothers. 

Though Mhlanga was never legitimized, he had a good heart, and his father made him many gifts.  The three brothers joined a soccer team together and spearheaded their team from a high school club and all the way to the Olympics.  It was just before taking the gold in the 1980 Summer Olympics that their father revealed to all three of them his, and their, divine nature, and asked them to return what was then called Natal to African rule. 

The spent the next 8 years leading the rebellion, Roguish, good hearted Mhlanga organizing an underground network of contacts for his brother, tall and mighty Dingane studying in the America to bring in foreign technology and foreign political support, and Shaka, charismatic, sufficiently  intelligent, courageous, and physically a total warrior, bringing hope to the people and rallying them to war.  Two years before the peaceful withdrawal of the Afrikaners from South Africa, Shakir had conquered his homeland, been offered by his people a kingly crown, and instead taken the title president for life, demurly reserving the title of king for ethnic leaders. 

The already hardened man didn't let that stop him for a moment from styling himself after great king Shaka, even being so arrogant as to drop the name Shakir in favor of Shaka. 

While making pretenses of democracy for his western allies, he called for a return to the traditional social structures of Shaka's time, For the Zulu, he reinstituted the practice of serving in the army until age 40, at which point you could retire, marry, and have children with both Zulu women and war brides.  Other ethnicities were forbidden military service and comiscerte full citizenship.  Bantu were kept working the farms seized from Afrikaners, their lives only marginally improved. 

Shaka has 3 wives and 12 war brides, 8 of them Afrikaner, and no children.  He let's people worry about them and gossip about his fertility, when in truth he's had all of them sterilized for fear of sons challenging his power.  He knows that, as a Scion, he is imortal.  His 5 Myrmidons, unusually lusty for ant-warriors, each have 10 war brides and have multiplied to 50, with more maturing. 

Rumor slowly spreads of Shaka's godlike power, and of the monsters coming out of the mountains and the ocean that only he can protect them from. 

Dingane, as tall and mighty as he is brilliant, is a rare thing for a man in power, for he is content.  Content as his brother's advisor, content with his lovely American wife, a Scion of Athena named Lara. 

Mhlanga still lives in the countryside with his three wives and children.  Fed up with the corruption at last, he moves again, seeking new rebels, this time scions, to replace the brothers he loves too much to kill himself, even if he could. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Brittlby

So THAT'S why Steph was talking about african politics a couple days ago.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Jefepato

This seems unlike a typical game of Scion, but it could be fun.  I'm thinking of a Scion of Ares or possibly Zeus.

Do our characters need to be locals, or could they come from anywhere in the world if they have some reason to visit Africa?

Muse

The second.  It would be nice to have a local scion to put in power, but the party will be recruited by Mhlanga. 

*Waves to Britby*  *Sniffles*  And you didn't join us in the conversation? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Iksander

I would like to join in as well.  I'm thinking of a Scion of Odin, heavy on mysteries and prophecy.
I'm Just Some Guy.
Really.

Ajoxer

The MOMENT I get the Scion Book, I'd be deeply intrigued by this game... Looks very cool.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Swedish Steel

Son of Apollo, as I said. Olympic Gold Medal Archer, plus a few other gold medals. Considered an athletic miracle.
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

ZK

I guess I'll follow suit and go with someone of the Japanese Pantheon. Blame Okami for making me want to play as something from my heritage's mixture of faiths, beliefs and such.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Ajoxer

I admit, I felt a bizarre urge to play the wayward son of Amaterasu, conceived during the Japanese Internment Camps to a gaijin parent, and fighting to win her respect. He might be about 60, but he's still one mean sonuvabitch!
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Muse

Aplause for all the concepts so far. 

Now we just need a guy to put in power.  (Preferably african, maybe Zulu.) 

Anyway I've got a lot of the foundation laid for this campaing, and I'll be back on the net one my sister's graduation festivities are done and I've got my modem workign again. 

Kiosukete kudasai ne. 

Ajoxer

Odin's twin ravens are Heckle and Jeckel.

There's something utterly hilarious about that.

Swedish Steel

Quote from: Ajoxer on May 12, 2007, 01:38:17 AM
Odin's twin ravens are Heckle and Jeckel.

There's something utterly hilarious about that.

No they are not. Their names are Hugin and Munin, Hugin meaning "Thought", or perhaps "Intention". Munin meaning "Memory" or "Mind".

Hmmm. I looked up Heckle and Jeckel. It does seem like Hugin and Munin in Scion share some characteristics with them, although I think they behave differently depending on whom they're speaking to. Why would an ancient raven of nordic mythology speak with a Brooklyn accent? That makes as much sense as Tor being an All American member of a super team and talking like a poofter.  ;D
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

Celestial Goblin

Name:Kwanele Strife
Calling:Rebel leader
Pantheon:Aesir
Nature:Judge
God:Tyr

Looks:Very tall, muscular and sculpted. His face is powerful and stern, resembling Zulu warriors of old. Wears hair in long dreadlocks. 24 years old.

Background:Was a vocalist and leader of 'Thunder Judge', a rebelious rock&roll band that combined American rock/metal groove with a very local political message. On one of the concerts they had a political dissident appear on the stage and denounce the regime.
The concert was sorrounded by armed police and terrible riots broken out. Kwane's band mates fled, but their instruments were picked up by intimidating Zulu warriors that appeared out of nowhere. The police was fought off, but the political dissident, the journalist Aweme Nlame disappeared in very mysterious way, still sought both by goverment and it's opponents.

Strength:3  Charisma:5     Perception:2
Dexterity:4 Manipulation:3 Intelligent:2
Stamina:2   Apperance:3    Wits:3

Associated powers:
Epic Charisma, Epic Stamina, Epic Strength, Epic Wits,

Jotunblut, Justice, War

*Academics:1  Craft          *Melee:3
Animal Ken    Empathy:1       Occult
Art:3         Fortitude:2    *Politics:2
Athletics:3  *Integrity:2     Presence:3
Awareness    *Investigation:2 Science
Brawl         Larceny         Stealth:2
*Command:3    Marksmanship:2  Survival:1
Control: 1    Medicine        Thrown

Birtrights:
Followers 4
Relic 2
Guide 1

Boons/Knacks
Epic Charisma 2:Inspirational figure,Blessing of
importance
Epic Strength 2:Holy bound, Holy rampage
Epic Stamina 1:Self healing
Epic Wits 1:Social chameleon
Epic Dexterity 1:Cat's grace
Justice 1:Judgement
War 2:Blessing of bravery, Battle cry

Virtues
Courage:3
Endurance:2
Expression:3
Loyalty:1

Legend 3
Willpower:6

Relic:
Kings armbands(two purviews)
This is a pair of ancient tribal arm-bands that
belonged to a leader of many tribes. One is of ivory, other is of gold. They allow acces to the judgement and war purviews.

Guide:
Tammy Johnstone - mortal, political activist 23 year old idealist from America. Tammy is involved in political pressure and humanitarian help for this region of Africa. She is also a band manager for Kwanele. She is very invested in her cause, even though lacks any practical experience and is not used to violence. Tammy is educated, a shrewd debater and has good bussines skills. She'd likely make a career at home if not for her quest for humanitarian ideals.

Followers:
Mandla,Sipho,Mhambi,Gjanle and Zhawi
The five Einherjar are African warriors fallen somewhere at the beggining of the 20 century, in a doomed uprising against colonial Europeans.
They are strong and adept in melee fighting and fieldcraft. They are armed with spears and old automatic rifles.

edit: Should be okay point-wise now.
Freebies go as follows:
7 to raise Legend
2 to raise Followers
1 to buy Guide
1 to raise the Survival skill
4 to buy Epic Stamina

Jefepato

CG, I'm pretty sure you can't have a third-level Boon without Legend 4.

(Also, where'd you spend BPs?  That's a lot of Boon points.)

Celestial Goblin

Bonus points were spent:
7 to increase Legend
5 to buy Epic Dexterity
2 to increase followers from 3 to 4
1 to buy 1 level of guide

Okay, now tell me that boons are bought in a different way that I thought they are?

Jefepato

Page 138.  Boons from all-purpose Purviews are odd in their pricing.  The one-dot Boon requires one point, and the two-dot Boon requires two points (and is completely independent of whether or not you have the one-doot Boon).

To make matters even more fun, pantheon-specific and special Purviews don't work like that and do work more or less like you'd expect.

On the plus side, you can save a BP if you bought that Epic Dexterity from your 10-point pool and used the BPs to buy one of the Epic Attribute dots associated with Tyr (like Epic Strength) instead.

Ajoxer

They're not exactly Heckle and Jeckel, but they share numerous similarities with them- The back and forth, one being well educated and proper, the other excitable, crass, and wielding a Brooklyn accent.

Ajoxer

Anyway, if ZK is going with a scion of one of the Japanese gods, I may end up simply trying one of the Loa's scions- Baron Samedi is possibly the single most awesome God in the book. And of course, we want to keep our good mix of Scions. :-P.

ZK

I was going to go with a Scion of Hachiman. ^.^ It'd give a lot of an excuse to be way over there in the middle of basically "nowhere".
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Ajoxer

I've begun working on a new character- Professional Skeptic, Scion of Baron Samedi. He might be out there, attracted to the ghosts of those who are dying, trying to help'em find peace. We've already got a couple of good combat characters, I figure we need somebody who's got a bit of book smarts, and of course, a little occult ability...

Ajoxer

Mostly finished, just the background to flesh out.

Name: James Donnely
Calling: Professional Skeptic
Pantheon: Loa
Player: Ajoxer
Nature: Cynic
God: Baron Samedi

Strength:**      Charisma:***         Intelligence:****
Dexterity:***      Manipulation:**      Wits:****
Stamina:****      Appearance:**      Perception:***

Favored Abilities
Command: *
Fortitude: *****
Integrity:***
Occult: *****
Politics: **
Presence: ***
Others
Brawl: **
Investigation: **
Science: **
Stealth: ***
Awareness: ***
Athletics: **
Larceny: *

Knacks And Such
Epic Dexterity 1, Untouchable Opponent
Epic Stamina 2, Solipsistic Wellbeing, Damage Conversion.
Epic Intelligence 2, Know-It-All, Teaching Prodigy.
Epic Wits 1, Meditative Perception.
Epic Perception 1, Unfailing Recognition
Death 1, Death Senses.
Cheval 2, Rada's Eyes, Petro's Hands.

Birthrights
Relic 4 Govi, containing the spirit of his old college professor, through which he channels the old man, and uses it to focus his ability to sense the dead.
Guide 3: The ghost of his college professor, one of the great skeptics. He oftentime refuses to admit that it's his ghost, and that his appearance and knowledge are simply the work of Donnely's own mind. He puts down his own influence on the world around them as mere tricks of movement and the wind.
Harmony:***         Order:**
Piety:*            Vengeance:***

Willpower: 6
Legend: 3
Legend Points: 9

Combat
Soak: 2A/4L/6B

Health Levels
Incapacitated

4 points spent on Abilities, 4 on 4 dots of Favored.
2 points spent on Relic. 2 spent on Guide.
7 points spent on Legend.

Jefepato

Muse, now that you're back, is this game still on?

(And if so, did you get my sheet?)

Muse

I would indeed love to give it a try. 

In the new system, can we open our own small game threads, or do I need to send a PM to a Siren? 

Muse

Looks like we can.  Here's the Roll Call, I'll be reposting my notes. 

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9949.0

Muse

Z.K. C.G.. and Swedish Steel, know that you are eagerly awaited.