No More Hiding

Started by Rainsinger, January 09, 2010, 06:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rishana

Ildra gently placed her spoon down onto her plate. She, too, had understood enough of Kitherit's explanation to get the 'gist' of it. Where Malith felt immeadiate anger, she felt another wave of pity. Their people had long been persecuted by the humans, and she could only imagine what the girl had been through. She slid her hand across the table to clasp Kitherit's and looked toward Malith when he addressed her directly. His anger even caused Korel to take pause.

"I understood," she spoke quietly. "It makes no sense, indeed, but the humans have always been our enemy. She carries human blood, but she is clearly one of us. I suspected it from the beginning. It makes me wonder who her mother was." A soft sigh tufted past her lips. "For now, calm yourself, lest she be frightened more."

Malith did just that. Well, as much as he was able, and spoke once again to Kitherit. "I... t-tooo..." Ildra attempted to say, giving the halfling hand a gentle squeeze. She struggled for a moment for the next word, looking down for a second. "S-Stey?" She wanted her to stay, clearly. Her next words were for Malith, however.

"We must inform the elders at once. They will want to speak with the King on the matter."

Rainsinger

When Kitherit had finished her story, she watched her two friends with a worried look.  She didn't know how they would respond.  She immediately caught Malith's anger, but she was able to recognize it as anger for what had happened to her, and not anger at her.  Especially as he spoke and gestured to his own ears.  She nodded to him.  "They never knew I was half Elf until yesterday.  They may have suspected, but they didn't know for certain."

She smiled happily as both Malith and Ildra told her they were glad to have her with them, and she felt tears in her eyes.  She ducked her head for a moment, before looking up again.  "Thank you.  I didn't know if I could be accepted as an Elf.  I did not know if you would react the same as Humans do.  They kill any baby that is half elf.  I have never heard of another like me surviving this long.  My Mother was very brave.  She was Human, and left her home when she knew she was having a baby.  She knew what I would be.  She went where people wouldn't know her, and lied to them about my Father.  She told them he had died, leaving her alone."

She wasn't entirely certain why she was letting this all spill out, now.  But it was the first time in her life she had ever felt like she could tell the truth about herself, about her Mother.  It was an intense relief to be able to share it, now.  In a place where she felt more comfortable then she ever had in her home village.

Dramen

Malith calmed himself at Ildra's suggestion. She was right of course. It was silly to risk frightening Ketherit more with his anger at her situation. A glance at Ketherit showed exactly the opposite of fear. She was smiling and was as calm as she'd been.

She must feel better after having that out in the open. He couldn't imagine having to hide who he was for all of his life just to keep safe. It was horrible.

And her being half Elf made everything more clear. He didn't know why he hadn't seen it before. Still Ildra was right. They had to tell the elders.

He glanced towards Ildra and nodded as he stood.

Then in common said, "Go teeell E.. Elders...?" he said as he politely helped Keth up with one hand and Ildra with the other. They were fine to stand on their own of course but he liked showing respect to the female Elves that he called friends.

Rishana

Ildra frowned while Kitherit continued to talk. Some it she could not decipher, while some it she could. One word in particular stood out. "Keel?" They kill the halflings? How could any race do something so horrendous? Halflings were regarded were the same respect as a full blood in the Elven community, as long as they did not present a threat.

She was racking her mind, trying to think of what else to convert from her native tongue into common when Malith rose to his feet and presented hands to each of them. She placed hers with and stood, then released and straightened her cloak. A thought did occur to her.

"Malith, before we take her to speak with the Elders, she may want to freshen herself." The better she appeared, the more willing the Elders would be to take council. Elves did have their vanity, you know. "A change of clothing and some water to wash her face and hands?" She looked to be close to Ildra's own size, so procuring clothing would not be an issue.

Rainsinger

Kitherit was relieved to see that they seemed to understand what she was saying, at least Malith did.  She could tell from Ildra's expression that she perhaps didn't fully understand everything, but she seemed to understand enough.  When he suggested that they would go speak with their Elders, she felt her stomach clench a bit.  So far, the Elven people seemed to be okay with her presence.  She had yet to see anyone who appeared to be outright threatening to her, even if she had caught a few angry looks.  But they had been few, where most of them had appeared merely curious and intrigued.  But would the same hold true for the leaders?

At least she had made two friends who seemed quite willing to see her through this, she reminded herself.  She would take strength from that.  She did wish that she could have a chance to wash up some, perhaps even bathe.  She knew she looked a mess, her mane of black hair was still rather tangled.  She wished she had something nicer to wear, but she didn't want to ask for more.  She was grateful to her new friends for the help they had given her already, and she didn't want to seem ungrateful or perhaps greedy by asking for more.

Dramen

Considering the situation, Malith was really glad that Ildra was around. He was about to take to the Edlers someone who would already seem different and not even give her a chance to clean up. Where was his head he wondered? Gathering his shaky common he turned to Ketherit, "How you.. want go with Ildra? Get clean and clothed you?"

He had pointed at Ildra and then made hand motions for bathing and changing clothes. The lightened look on her features suggested that she understood.

"Yes, I'd love the chance to clean up and get a change of clothes. Thank you both!" Ketherit said.

Malith turned to Ildra, "It would probably be best to take her to your place. Your clothes are sure to fit her. What do you think?"

Rishana

Ildra watched the two converse, again, only understanding partially what was being said in common. She really was going to have to work on that, in case something like this happened again. However, Malith was patient and Kitherit was grateful, so that was all they could ask for.

"That was my thought too," she replied to Malith. "I would prefer you to come too, as well. Until we speak with the Elders, I want to take no chances. For the moment, she is still an outsider." He was a Ranger, and as such, his word would be undisputed. "You can wait outside."

Malith nodded once, after which Ildra took Kitherit's hand and headed for the door. "Come. Get clean." She placed some coins on the table to pay for all fo three of their meals, then headed for the door. Luckily, her cottage was only a few hundred feet from the eatery, and while it was small, it still carried the charm most of the other Elven homes did. Carved of stone and wood, it was a simple place, wreathed on the outside by a multitude of colorful flowers, herbs, and hanging baskets.

Rainsinger

Kitherit was very relieved at their offer, and obediently followed Ildra to her cottage.  Once again out in public, she couldn't help but notice those watching her curiously.  Was it just her imagination that there were a few more gathered now then there had been before?  If they'd had far to go she would have pulled her hood up to try and hide.  But it wasn't far to the small, beautiful cottage.

Once inside, Ildra guided her around and helped her clean up.  It took a bit of work to get the knots combed out of her hair, but they succeeded well enough.  Ildra found a gown that not only fit Kitherit well, but accentuated her features nicely.  When she stepped out of the cottage, the transformation was quite noticeable.  Her black hair was now glossy and fell past her shoulders, nearly to her waist.  Clad in Elven clothing, her awkwardness seemed to have vanished.  She felt much more comfortable both physically and mentally.

((Sorry if this post is brief and sort of skims over things.))

Dramen

Malith waited patiently outside as Ildra helped Kitherit inside her cottage. He needed to be out here anyway though as the three of them seemed to be garnering more and more attention. Upon seeing Malith's tall form standing outside the door, no one looked more than twice but the attention was more than noticeable.

Suddenly the door opened and brought Malith out of his watching trance that he didn't know he had been in. Ildra came out first and then... then someone else.

Kitherit walked out proudly and looked as if she'd changed skins while inside. She walked more straight up and smiled widely. She appeared relaxed and confident. If Malith could have known, he would almost think that she was happier than she'd ever been.

The change was stunning.

"You... loook well," he said in common.

He turned to Ildra in his native tongue, "She's completely changed. This was the perfect idea Ildra. She's beautiful. Now we can talk to the Elders with more confidence. Shall we go?"

As she answered, Malith glanced and saw that now they had even more onlookers than before. He stepped forward a few steps to address a nearby crowd, "Do you require something my fellow Elves?"

No one answered so he added, "Then please be on your way."

That thinned them out some at least. Now they just had onlookers from a distance. That was something that he knew Kitherit would have to get accustomed to if she stayed here.

Rishana

Kitherit proved to be quite the beauty, indeed. Her skin was not as pale as a full blood, but it was still held a radiance all it's own. Her gently pointed ears shown proudly through her mass of thick, ebon hair, and the clothing Ildra had given her was more than flattering. The elder Elf smiled proudly, almost like a doting mother, when they made their way back out of the cottage.

"Yes, she is very beautiful. She has more of our blood in her veins than human, luckily. I think she will be readily accepted." Ildra could not prevent a sense of familiarity with Kitherit, though. It had lingered in the back of her mind when she had first come upon the girl, but now that she was cleaned and changed, it grew stronger with each passing moment. Even as Malith led them down the paved road to the main council house of the Elders, she was stealing discreet, sidelong glances at Kith.

Rainsinger

Kitherit saw the startled look in Malith's eyes when she came out of the cottage again, and she felt herself blushing at his words.  But she still smiled in response.  "Thank you, Malith."

She noticed Ildra's expression as well, and for a brief moment she was reminded of her own Mother.  She had a momentary flash back to a memory of her Mother gazing at her with a similar expression.  When Kitherit had looked at her questioningly, her Mother had responded by telling her "I am only just now realizing that you are going to be a very beautiful woman."  It had been the first time that she had really felt beautiful, from the one person in the world that could see her completely.

As the progressed down the street, Kitherit watched those around them anxiously.  She felt butterflies beginning to form in her stomach, and was even more grateful that she'd been able to clean up and change.

Dramen

As they approached the large and beautiful building that housed the Elder’s chambers, Malith felt more and more confident. He thought of Locien, one of the Elders and the head Ranger. Locien seemed the accepting type and Malith figured he would have no problem seeing the reason that Kitherit should stay within this village.

Absently he noticed continued glances from Ildra to Kitherit and back again. Malith shrugged it off and led them up the large stone steps to the front of the building. A large Ranger he knew to be Raegion came to meet them. Raegion was a small bit taller than Malith with white hair.

“Raegion, I need to speed with the Elders as soon as possible. We have a proposal to bring before them,” Malith said.

“What type of proposal is that Malith?” Raegion asked as he peered at Ildra and Kitherit. “Would it have something to do with the half-blood behind you?”

Malith shook his head slowly, “Always the curious one aren’t you Raegion? I have no need to bring a proposal before you. I need to speak with Locien and the Elders. I know it’s your duty to tell them of such a request. So please, if you will, do so.”

Raegion smirked as he raised his head in judgment, “Okay, Malith. Yes I’ll do just that.”

Malith looked around at Ildra and Kitherit, “I’m sorry he’s always like that. It should only be a few minutes now.”

He realized he was so comfortable around Kitherit already that he didn’t even think to use common. He turned to her, “Sorry for him. Will not be long.”

It wasn’t that long before they were summoned back to see Locien and the Elders, but it was longer than it should have been. Malith wondered what had been said when Raegion went back to talk to them.

Nonetheless, they were here now. The three of them filed into the Elders chambers and stood in the middle of the large room. It was Locien who spoke first.

“Welcome Malith, Ildra, and I don’t believe I know your name young one. I’ve heard that you have something to bring before the Elders. Is that correct?”

“That is correct Locien,” Malith responded. “Early today I responded to…”

Malith was interrupted by Locien’s upheld hand, which clearly meant for him to stop. Then he looked directly at Kitherit and spoke in common, “What is your name young one? And feel free to speak in common, I speak it well.”

“Thank you. My name is Kitherit,” she responded.

“Now go ahead Malith.”

“Well I actually arrived after Ildra was helping Kitherit. She would be best to tell that part of the story,” Malith said.

“Very well,” said Locien, “Ildra please.”

Rishana

Ildra stood silently once the trio stood before the council of Elders. Raegion was an arrogant one, indeed, but ultimately possessed a good spirit, she thought. It did surprise her when he spoke perfect common to Kitherit, for she had never heard him utter a word of it until that moment. Locien, cordial as always, turned his gaze on Ildra after speaking with Malith, and waited patiently for her to relay her side of the tale.

"Raegion may want to translate for Kith-e-rit, so she will know what is being said," she gently suggested. Ultimately, it was up to the Elders if he did so or not. "I came upon the halfling when I was gathering in the forest at dawn. She was sleeping near the river, dirty, and hungry. From what I could understand, it was discovered our blood ran in her veins, and she was threatened. She ran away, frightened." A frown marred her beautiful visage. "She said they kill halflings where she is from.." Obviously, that part upset her to no end. She did step forward and lowered her tone before she spoke further. "Look at her, Locien. She is... familiar. Her face is triggers some memory I cannot recall."

Startled by the latter statement, Locien's head shot up, his stare settling directly on Kitherit. "Her mother was human, I think, and tried to raise her as such," Ildra added. She did glance back toward Malith a few times, in case he needed to correct her.

Rainsinger

((Hey guys, before you respond again, check the Discussion Thread.  There's some confusion going on that needs to be cleared up.))

Raegion made Kitherit feel more intimidated then ever, as their small group stopped to speak with him.  There was no mistaking the look in his eyes as he gazed at her with a malicious smirk.  As he turned on his heel and vanished, Malith's words reassured her, and she smiled timidly.

On entering the large chamber, her eyes immediately moved to find the Elders, and she looked quickly between them.  These were the ones who would ultimately decide her fate, she knew.  Most of their expressions were unreadable, though she did notice one or two who appeared suspicious of her.  It was the one who spoke up first that held most of her attention.  She didn't know why but he immediately set her at ease.  There was a kind of ancient wisdom about him, and a kindness in his eyes.  She was startled when he spoke to her in perfect common, too.

She listened to the conversation in Elvish, and stood patiently with her hands clasped in front of her.  Then Locien spoke directly to her.  "Ildra and Malith have told us of the events of the morning.  They also tell me something troubling.  Is it true that the humans were threatening to kill you, child?"

Kitherit bit her lip for a moment, and nodded, before taking a deep breath and speaking.  "My Mother's name was Thaiessa, and she was a human originally from a village far from here.  She met my Father in the forests around her home.  She never told me much about that time, except that she loved him, but they couldn't stay together.  It wasn't until later she realized she was carrying his child, and had no way to let him know.  It isn't just half-elf children who are at risk, Mother's are too.  They're considered tainted, and are forever after persecuted for what they did.  It's not unusual for them to be killed, too."

She paused for a moment to allow Locien to translate, and she could tell from the horrified looks on the faces of those around her that this was entirely unknown to them.  She then continued.  "Of course it's usually not discovered until the baby is born.  Once it is discovered though, the infant is always killed immediately.  I don't really know why, but they fear the idea of a human child with Elf blood.  It's like a superstition to them.  The only reason I survived is because my Mother fled her home, where she would have no other way to explain her pregnancy, and moved to another village far away.  She told the people there that she had been betrayed by the man she loved, and the town had believed him instead of her, and she'd had to flee.  The people of her new home believed her, and accepted her amongst them.

"When the time came for her to give birth, she was extremely careful.  She had made a friend in the village, someone she could trust, and she confided the truth to her.  Her friend was the one who helped her give birth, and immediately wrapped me in cloth to hide my ears.  For the rest of my childhood, my Mother kept me hidden a great deal, at least until I was old enough to know why I couldn't show my ears to anyone.  Why I couldn't let anyone know what I was.  I learned after that how to hide the truth, and keep myself safe.

"It wasn't until yesterday that the truth came out.  A boy pulled my hood down, and saw my ear through my hair.  A man came over to see what was happening, and had grabbed a hold of me.  I knew immediately what was going to happen, and as soon as he let go I ran for my life.  I could hear them chasing me, calling me demon spawn, and threatening me.  They chased me into the forest, and I didn't even pay attention to where I was going.  I just wanted to get away from them.  I honestly don't know how I was able to keep ahead of them, but it was like they just couldn't keep up with me.  I didn't stop until after nightfall, when I fell asleep.  Ildra found me the next morning."

As she told her tale, she continued to glance around the chambers, especially whenever she paused to let Locien translate for her.  The Elders all showed more interest now, laced with varying looks of pity, concern, and on a few, disbelief.

Rainsinger

((I'm locking this thread as I feel the story has died.  I have other projects to work on, as do the other participants I think.  :-)  ))