The Heathens - a post-apocalyptic LGBTQ freeform badassery interest check

Started by Ouroboros, November 08, 2015, 12:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ouroboros

The end of the world came and went. You're what crawled out of the ashes.

Inspired by properties such as Fallout, Roadside Picnic, Apocalypse World (and more specifically Dream Askew), Scruffians! and Mad Max, this is a story about the apocalypse. It's a love story. It's a travelogue. It's violent, it's gory, it's dark and hilarious and heartbreaking. It's queer as fuck.

Oh, that's right. Your character? They don't fit in even with the remnants of society. While everyone else is worried about repopulating the world, your character is a misfit and out of place because of who they love or how they choose to present themselves. And sometimes it's safer to band together, like calling to like, while searching for a place to call home. Doesn't matter if your character is gay, lesbian, or bi, if they're transgender, agender, asexual... if they fall under the queer umbrella, they're welcome.

After some discussion, this is what is going on...

Generations ago - nobody is really sure how many - something strange happened. An alien visitation perhaps, beings inscrutable and strange making no contact and leaving behind strange artifiacts that warped reality in their vicinity. Strangeness spread from these sites, and fear and panic led to attacks and, eventually, bombs of greater and greater strength until the nuclear option was taken in an attempt to remove the sources of the disturbances. The attempt was ill-advised, and something happening, scouring the earth. The only humans left were those who were far enough from the bomb sites and those who took shelter in old bunkers and shelters left over from days where the worst that could happen was nuclear annihilation.

That was then. This is now.

Humans crawled out of their safe niches and nooks when it became safe enough to do so. Gone were the cities, the infrastructure, the accomplishments of civilization. Superstition and fear run rampant, and those who can't or won't conform are often considered dangerous. With all sorts of hazards to deal with, from poor crops to inexplicable events and strange storms, to wandering too close to an Artifact zone, to the poor souls altered by life Outside? Who wants to deal with that?

The Heretics, perhaps. A group of misfits banded together out of necessity, they've made a home for themselves near an Artifact site in an old shelter, venturing forth to recruit new members and reclaim useful items. They do all right for themselves, but some see them as a threat too, as dangerous as anything that's come out of an Artifact zone.

Please note that admission is not first-come first-served; I'm looking for a complimentary group of players and concepts where everyone will be comfortable. If you are interested, please let me know, but hold off on too much regarding characters for now.

OOC Setting
OOC Chat
Accepted Characters

Additionally this is the format for final sheets. Those of you I have talked to about concepts, please reformat to fit with the below:

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Codename and/or Nickname(s):[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender & Preferred Pronouns:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b] Just a brief description of those things that are important to know - hair, eyes, skin, approximate body type and height, tats, scars, abnormalities.

[b]Personality:[/b] A general overview, nothing too in-depth

[b]History:[/b] Enough to give a feel for your character. Secrets can be held back as long as they are communicated to the GM.

[b]Skills and Talents:[/b] What your character is good at - if anything.

[b]Mutations[/b] If applicable. Minor beneficial mutations are accepted as long as they are discussed with the GM first and may require a drawback as well.

[b]Artifcats[/b] If applicable. One minor beneficial artifact can be accepted as long as it is discussed with the GM first.

[b]Fears:[/b] What your character fears most.
Semi-Relevant Information
wants and needs | apologies and absences  | ons and offs

Vael the Destroyer

-strolls in all sexy like-

Well hi there! I am the first, and definitely not the last.

Ouroboros

Sez you. I hope you're right. ;)

Please note that the name is also subject to change if someone comes up with a better one.

Lockepick

Bookmarking and posting interest -- though I admit, I'm a little worried this will focus mostly on the sad aspects of being an outsider instead of celebrating it.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ouroboros

Oh, I would certainly hope not! This is totally player driven but I would love (love love) if it was more of a celebration, if that makes sense.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: lockepick on November 08, 2015, 12:24:56 AM
Bookmarking and posting interest -- though I admit, I'm a little worried this will focus mostly on the sad aspects of being an outsider instead of celebrating it.

The character I have in mind to play is going to celebrate being an outsider, and if he were the leader (or one of the leaders) he would be pissed at anyone who would be upset to be an outcast. This is queer heaven, people! Where you can feel understood and celebrate who you are without having people look down upon you. Who cares if it's post-apoc and you have to fight to survive? This shit is amazing!

VioletPanda

I'm interested!

For a cause of the end of the world, just based on what I learned in classes, I caution against a pandemic. I mean, it would do the trick, but in the process of trying to treat the infected, many doctors and medical staff would die, which would be generally bad for the business of living assuming everyone wasn't already sick. The odds of fighting off a disease are very small. ;)

Some kind of natural disaster could do the trick- take a volcano erupting. The ash cloud could cover a large area and effect weather and crop failures for years to come.

Just a thought.

Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Vael the Destroyer

I'm really enjoying entertaining the thought of it being a paranormal apocalypse of some sort, just have no clue what it would actually be.

I do find your idea exquisite as well, Luka.

CShades

Fombies!

O wait, no fombies? Eh.  I like the outcast among outcasts idea. Not really the celebration kind, but can always get carried over.

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: CShades on November 08, 2015, 12:48:48 AM
Fombies!

O wait, no fombies? Eh.  I like the outcast among outcasts idea. Not really the celebration kind, but can always get carried over.

And now the party can really begin. >:)

VioletPanda

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 12:42:15 AM
I'm really enjoying entertaining the thought of it being a paranormal apocalypse of some sort, just have no clue what it would actually be.

I do find your idea exquisite as well, Luka.

Thanks :)  In fact, it was one of those events that caused the Dark Ages, and another that caused the near decade of bad weather in Europe that inspired Mary Shelly to write her famous and now classic book. Don't ask me which eruption, because I'm terrible with years and the name of the place was hard to pronounce. :)
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

Blythe

Very interested, like the idea of a nuclear apocalypse or paranormal one.

Thinking of a gay male character, very alpha male, who is proud of surviving, proud of helping others survive, and has a very gruff and quiet demeanor.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Sherlock on November 08, 2015, 01:24:47 AM
Very interested, like the idea of a nuclear apocalypse or paranormal one.

Thinking of a gay male character, very alpha male, who is proud of surviving, proud of helping others survive, and has a very gruff and quiet demeanor.

I very much enjoy the sound of this man. :D

Also: Welcome!

Ouroboros

I totally approve of this, Sherlock. :D

Also Symph has mentioned potentially shifting from "Heathens" to "Heretics." Thoughts?

Personally I had been leaning toward either a global warming event or nuclear apocalypse, mostly because I was having trouble coming up with a suitably awesome paranormal apocalypse. This is also occurring while I am drugged up and getting over an ear infection so my creativity has not exactly been off the charts. The closest I got in my head was sort of like the beginning of Shadowrun/Earthdawn where magic kind of "wakes up" after a long drought and wreaks havoc, but that's pretty messy and nebulous.

Vael the Destroyer

I'm sure we can all put our brains together to figure out something wonderfully tragic. <3

You really do need to stop getting sick though.

Ouroboros

Vael the Destroyer

Wolfling72

Touches this thread with one small finger because  yus...

For the record this would be another game that I would want to play but would not be able to build a good enough character for so would be bookmarking and reading ALL THE TIME.
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 09:23:05 AM
Touches this thread with one small finger because  yus...

For the record this would be another game that I would want to play but would not be able to build a good enough character for so would be bookmarking and reading ALL THE TIME.

-tacklehugs- YOU! I have missed you.

Wolfling72

Quote from: ShatteredSymphony on November 08, 2015, 09:27:31 AM
-tacklehugs- YOU! I have missed you.

Smexy SS!! If you are here mayhap I should add my interest in the hopes that I could come up with something GOOD???

O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Ouroboros

Vael the Destroyer

Quote from: Wolfling72 on November 08, 2015, 10:06:44 AM
Smexy SS!! If you are here mayhap I should add my interest in the hopes that I could come up with something GOOD???

Oh darling! I am definitely here. Ouro had me at post-apoc. XD

I know you have some wonderful ideas in that muse of yours. A handsome blonde of sorts. >:) On top of that you'll get all the cuddles, and cuddles are fucking great.

Just a reference for everyone, this is who I am going to be using. Right hurr!

Craving playing another Southern boy from a Christian family who kicks ass, takes names, and owns the fact that he's gay and his daddy taught him how to shoot despite him being the son his dad never wanted.

Faustus

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Ouroboros

one of us

For the record I anticipate a fairly relaxed posting schedule. You can totally do it. :D :D :D

Blythe

I'm thinking of this fella as a character image, potentially.

As far as a nuclear apolcaypse brainstorm, since I've played some Fallout (which is my inspiration for said snippet of idea), the only idea I can think of is that war, threat of nuclear fallout, people put in vaults for their safety, government decides to screw with people to socially experiment with vault populations, get an entirely LGBTQA vault, government experiment thinks its an easy way to herd off/get rid of LGBTQA folks, plan hilariously backfires when the LGBTQA vault is one of the only ones that makes it through unscathed and not only that, thrives, because they were just so damn used to adversity in the first place that adjustment wasn't as hard for them.

Not the best idea, but trying to contribute/brainstorm as best I can. ^^

Edit: Wolfling! <3

Also I like the "Heretics" as a name depending on what tone the game is going for. ^^