Vic Mignogna

Started by TheMusician, February 21, 2019, 04:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

Quote from: Soveliss on March 25, 2019, 09:11:16 AM
And I'm sorry, but accusations on twitter (I have a snarky nickname for twitter, but it's really crude so I'm not gonna use it)/fakebook are whisper campaigns.
A whisper campaign is not defined by how easy it is to accuse someone.

whisper campaign (plural whisper campaigns)

(idiomatic) A method of persuasion in which damaging rumors or innuendo are deliberately spread concerning a person or other target, while the source of the rumors tries to avoid detection.

By definition, not a whisper campaign. I'm not debating your point, only your incorrect use of the term.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

la dame en noir

I was about 15 years old when I saw Vic at Sac-Anime personally hit on, flirt with, and touch an underage fan. At the time, I thought nothing of it because well, we're 15 to 17 years old and its our "favorite voice actor" voicing our "favorite anime boys". This has been going on for Y E A R S! As a cosplayer and con-goer for over 14 years now, I think it's safe to say that it's about fucking time.

I've heard story after story and I was always like "Why is this goddamn perv still allowed at conventions?"

This is just my two cents from personal experience.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

JessicaHouse

My thoughts on this are that we should reserve judgment until such time as the trial is concluded. We should not accuse Vic's accusers of bearing false witness, and we should not accuse Vic of being a monster. Vic is an American citizen, and in America there is the assumption of innocence until guilt is proven. This also applies to his accusers.

If Vic is guilty of sexual assault and/or rape, then that is monstrous, and we should have nothing to do with him from here forward. If he is not guilty, then the community needs to reach out to him in deep support, people who accused him need to apologize, and the people who demonized him based on the reports should join those ranks. In any event, we ought to reserve our judgment until AFTER the trial.

If his accusers are lying, that is also monstrous, and we should have nothing to do with them from here forward. If they are telling the truth, then the community needs to reach out to them in deep support, people who accused them of lying need to apologize, and Vic himself needs to both apologize and thereafter stay far away from them. Vic will also need to submit himself to whatever punishment the law sees fit.

But, until he's actually been proven guilty, we should assume his innocence. Let not the court of public opinion become a lynch mob for every person accused of a dastardly crime.

Skynet

Quote from: JessicaHouse on August 13, 2019, 02:30:47 PM
My thoughts on this are that we should reserve judgment until such time as the trial is concluded. We should not accuse Vic's accusers of bearing false witness, and we should not accuse Vic of being a monster. Vic is an American citizen, and in America there is the assumption of innocence until guilt is proven. This also applies to his accusers.

If Vic is guilty of sexual assault and/or rape, then that is monstrous, and we should have nothing to do with him from here forward. If he is not guilty, then the community needs to reach out to him in deep support, people who accused him need to apologize, and the people who demonized him based on the reports should join those ranks. In any event, we ought to reserve our judgment until AFTER the trial.

If his accusers are lying, that is also monstrous, and we should have nothing to do with them from here forward. If they are telling the truth, then the community needs to reach out to them in deep support, people who accused them of lying need to apologize, and Vic himself needs to both apologize and thereafter stay far away from them. Vic will also need to submit himself to whatever punishment the law sees fit.

But, until he's actually been proven guilty, we should assume his innocence. Let not the court of public opinion become a lynch mob for every person accused of a dastardly crime.

This is only in regards to actual court trials; the court of public opinion is not the same. Also "not guilty" does not automatically mean "innocent" in a legal context; "innocent until proven guilty" means that the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defense did said illegal actions. Al Capone was "innocent" of pretty much every crime he committed save tax fraud.

Also Vic Mignogna has yet to be attacked or killed for this, much less go into hiding, so "lynch mob" is hardly an accurate term.

Tolvo

I wish it were easier to link things relating to the case, I still remember his lawyer livestreaming proceedings and praying that Vic denied pulling a woman's hair as a joke with regards to her accusation that he did so and it hurt her. He then hit play and Vic said "Oh, I didn't know it hurt her. I did it in a friendly way I had no way of knowing it upset her." His lawyer is a very sketchy guy, it's interesting sometimes watching as he fluctuates between hyper arrogance and "I'm fucked! You fucking idiot don't say that!" Since it's not a major news story and is more some asshole harassing people, there isn't much coverage of it other than footage of the depositions that is reliable.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-07-29/the-mignogna-deposition/.149401

For instance I'd normally not really link this site as a source but it does have a rundown of some of the things he accidentally confessed on the stand.

Tolvo

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2019/09/06/in-animes-metoo-moment-vic-mignogna-a-no-show-at-tarrant-county-hearing-and-his-case-is-mostly-an-unholy-mess/

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-04/updated-law-and-disorder-mignogna-counsel-files-rescinds-affidavits-in-3-days/.150613

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-09-06/mignogna-civil-case-against-voice-actress-jamie-marchi-dismissed/.150828

So Vic has essentially lost the case as far as I know and has been found to be responsible for everyone involved's legal fees which he must pay. The case was hurt by both Vic and Ty admitting that Vic did harass people, and Ty falsifying court documents. I may not be a lawyer but I think it would be accurate to say legally speaking they're a couple of dumbasses.

Skynet

Quote from: Tolvo on September 07, 2019, 01:05:32 AM
So Vic has essentially lost the case as far as I know and has been found to be responsible for everyone involved's legal fees which he must pay. The case was hurt by both Vic and Ty admitting that Vic did harass people, and Ty falsifying court documents. I may not be a lawyer but I think it would be accurate to say legally speaking they're a couple of dumbasses.

He signed a false signature using Blackjack computer font. This was found out by a lawyer on Twitter following the case and noticing that two signatures were almost mirror-perfect.

Ty Beard is the legal equivalent of that ComicsGate dude making six separate KickStarters to fund the same project; an incompetent grifter squeezing cash out of people with more anger than good sense.

Tolvo

I can't even convey the level of great Lionel Hutz jokes used about him I've heard over the past months. It's a staggering amount, so many varied ones with core great ones regarding No, Money Down! Every time I think it's getting old people find other Lionel Hutz moments that were great to reference. I still don't get why even though he was basically scamming Vic and his fans of their money he decided to actually do something illegal for a case he probably never planned to win. He did have lots of accusations against other people who worked for Funimation who were unrelated to the court case to help bolster Vic's case via hearsay and conjecture. Which are kinds of evidence.

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Skynet on September 07, 2019, 01:20:51 AM
He signed a false signature using Blackjack computer font. This was found out by a lawyer on Twitter following the case and noticing that two signatures were almost mirror-perfect.

Ty Beard is the legal equivalent of that ComicsGate dude making six separate KickStarters to fund the same project; an incompetent grifter squeezing cash out of people with more anger than good sense.

oO Holy shit. That is. Well, the next level brass balls.