Wild, superhero fun (MnM 2e)

Started by Sally Aces, April 06, 2017, 03:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sally Aces

People are fickle... if you look like a Joker... So it all depends on how monstrous you look... mostly human but with dragon wings = demon in most people's eyes... bird wings=Angel, so not Joker, so not fair, right?

So, the changes should be A) minor and B) culturally appealing, if you want to be accepted as an Ace, make sense?

Bigotry and prejudice are huge themes in the Wild Card books. I won't go over the top with it, but it's not a world where monster-boys/girls are accepted as 'good' easily.

Angie

Quote from: Sally Aces on April 19, 2017, 03:21:52 PM
People are fickle... if you look like a Joker... So it all depends on how monstrous you look... mostly human but with dragon wings = demon in most people's eyes... bird wings=Angel, so not Joker, so not fair, right?

So, the changes should be A) minor and B) culturally appealing, if you want to be accepted as an Ace, make sense?

Bigotry and prejudice are huge themes in the Wild Card books. I won't go over the top with it, but it's not a world where monster-boys/girls are accepted as 'good' easily.

It's fair enough, and to be expected from a GRRM brainchild. I'll read over the M&M book and see what jumps out at me.

EDIT: The original idea was scrapped. We're going with a Light Elemental theme instead, and definitely more Ace then anything.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

Angie

I apologize for double posting, but at the numbers add up, the character takes shape.

Initial Idea/Draft/Whatever: An EMT who grew up with a very optimistic outlook on life, and while she is wise enough to not expect everyone to act like she does, she will hold on to the few principles she keeps with an iron will ("We must do what we can to help others", "Just because others take advantage or act like criminals does not mean I must do the same", "Heal first, fight later"). Her powers only emerged a year ago, and she struggles to learn how to control her impressive mastery of light while also balancing it with her professional civilian life. Her fellow EMTs know of her powers, as some time during their emergence, she healed a man who was on the brink of death with an impressive outpouring of pure light from her hands. She doesn't want to get involved in things on the "superpowered" stage and wants to be left alone-of course, she's in a Mutants and Masterminds game, so that's not going to happen, but at least she's trying to stay out of the spotlight...

TFcommando

The Ace/Joker thing is inconsistent and arbitrary at best and, as mentioned, pretty much based on appearance. 

There's a beautiful woman with wings and a guy with a fox tail and kitsune powers, both of whom had TV jobs and were regarded as Aces, though technically they were jokers, with non-human physical mutations.  There's a guy who's 9 feet tall and super strong, but with warty green skin (and naturally called Troll) who's regarded as a Joker-Ace, a term used for Jokers with notable powers.   Egypt has a lot of people manifesting the power or appearance of Egyptian gods, including animal-headed types (who have no powers).  They're revered locally because of their cultural symbolism even though they're jokers.

One character that might have a concept of interest to you was someone born a hermaphrodite, the natural kind, and raised as/identifying as male.  When his card turned, he had a unique ability.  During the day, he could turn into a very attractive man and teleport anywhere on Earth where the sun was up.  At night, he turned into a very attractive woman who could teleport anywhere the sun was down.  During twilight (And maybe dawn), he reverted to his natural form.  A British secret service agent, he used both other forms as cover IDs to infiltrate different groups.

When the virus activates and empowers someone, it often works off of their desires, conscious or not, and creates rules and limitations the same way.  Someone was being introduced to tantric ritual sex when his card turned and it make sex magic work for him.  He needed to study the books and charge up via sex to fuel his magic, though said magic didn't work for anyone else, even though it was real for him. 

Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Angie

Quote from: TFcommando on April 19, 2017, 09:40:26 PM
The Ace/Joker thing is inconsistent and arbitrary at best and, as mentioned, pretty much based on appearance. 

There's a beautiful woman with wings and a guy with a fox tail and kitsune powers, both of whom had TV jobs and were regarded as Aces, though technically they were jokers, with non-human physical mutations.  There's a guy who's 9 feet tall and super strong, but with warty green skin (and naturally called Troll) who's regarded as a Joker-Ace, a term used for Jokers with notable powers.   Egypt has a lot of people manifesting the power or appearance of Egyptian gods, including animal-headed types (who have no powers).  They're revered locally because of their cultural symbolism even though they're jokers.

One character that might have a concept of interest to you was someone born a hermaphrodite, the natural kind, and raised as/identifying as male.  When his card turned, he had a unique ability.  During the day, he could turn into a very attractive man and teleport anywhere on Earth where the sun was up.  At night, he turned into a very attractive woman who could teleport anywhere the sun was down.  During twilight (And maybe dawn), he reverted to his natural form.  A British secret service agent, he used both other forms as cover IDs to infiltrate different groups.

When the virus activates and empowers someone, it often works off of their desires, conscious or not, and creates rules and limitations the same way.  Someone was being introduced to tantric ritual sex when his card turned and it make sex magic work for him.  He needed to study the books and charge up via sex to fuel his magic, though said magic didn't work for anyone else, even though it was real for him.

Darling, I know we've had lots of fun on other sites with similar characters, but this is not that. I've approached this setting (what little I comprehend) and this ruleset with a different frame of mind.

That said, the whole 'works off their desires' fits Tina like a glove for this. What does she have? Healing powers (because she wants to help others), Super Strength (to help people who are covered in rubble and they can't otherwise get to), Teleportation and flight (to get to places where she's needed) and a host of other light based powers (because light is inspiring). I might throw in a few things where her powers fail to work if she doesn't uphold her principles...

Sally Aces

Quote from: Angiejuusan on April 19, 2017, 07:19:33 PM
I apologize for double posting, but at the numbers add up, the character takes shape.

Initial Idea/Draft/Whatever: An EMT who grew up with a very optimistic outlook on life, and while she is wise enough to not expect everyone to act like she does, she will hold on to the few principles she keeps with an iron will ("We must do what we can to help others", "Just because others take advantage or act like criminals does not mean I must do the same", "Heal first, fight later"). Her powers only emerged a year ago, and she struggles to learn how to control her impressive mastery of light while also balancing it with her professional civilian life. Her fellow EMTs know of her powers, as some time during their emergence, she healed a man who was on the brink of death with an impressive outpouring of pure light from her hands. She doesn't want to get involved in things on the "superpowered" stage and wants to be left alone-of course, she's in a Mutants and Masterminds game, so that's not going to happen, but at least she's trying to stay out of the spotlight...

I like her, I feel she could be fun to have in the game. She mirrors to other characters, one who has to live by a code of honor and other with a medical background, but that's fine.

I will ask you to ditch the healing power though as it's the schtick of another Ace. If you want it in her backstory it could be something she's never been able to do again (Mechanicswise, it was something you spent a Hero Point to do) She could have used her light powers to save her peers from an attack, falling buildings etc.

Does that still work for you?

Angie

Quote from: Sally Aces on April 19, 2017, 10:27:15 PM
I like her, I feel she could be fun to have in the game. She mirrors to other characters, one who has to live by a code of honor and other with a medical background, but that's fine.

I will ask you to ditch the healing power though as it's the schtick of another Ace. If you want it in her backstory it could be something she's never been able to do again (Mechanicswise, it was something you spent a Hero Point to do) She could have used her light powers to save her peers from an attack, falling buildings etc.

Does that still work for you?

That can be done. The healing was part of an array, so replacing it is really easy (Light Control Array). Really, as long as the backstory is fine with the GM, the numbers can be anything.

eternaldarkness

Ooh, another light-themed character. This should be interesting. As a matter of fact, if anyone wants to come up with possible shared background/connection, I give you
Kevin Carter - the Amazing Photon Man

Name: Kevin Carter
Code Name: Photon Man
Aliases: Carter, slick, wormy
Identity: Public (Known Ace)

PL: 6 PP:  spent 114 of 114

Ability Scores: 10 pp
Str: 10/16*  (+0/+3)
Dex: 12/18*  (+1/+4)
Con: 10/16*  (+0/+3)
Int: 12         (+1)
Wis: 10/16*  (+0/+3)
Cha: 16        (+3)

Trade-Offs: Defense -3/Toughness +3. Attack -3/Save DC +3.

Saves: 0 pp
TOUGHNESS                                 FORTITUDE            REFLEX                  WILL
0 Ranks (+0/+9 Impervious*)       0 Ranks (+0/+6*)   0 Ranks (+0/+6*)  0 Ranks (+0/+6*)

"Wanna know what Carter's real superpower is? He can talk his way out of anything."
-Renee St. Raphael

Skills: 7 pp (24 Ranks)
Bluff 8 ranks (+11)
Gather Information 4 ranks (+7)
Knowledge (Streetwise) 4 ranks (+5)
Notice 2 ranks (+2/+5*)
Sense Motive 4 ranks (+4/+7*)
Sleight of Hand 4 ranks (+5/+8*)
Stealth 2 ranks (+3/+6*)

*Bonus at full power

Feats: 5 pp
Attractive. Connected. Contacts. Fascinate 1 (Bluff). Interpose.

Powers: 82 pp
Photon Manipulation
Light Control 6 Ranks
Cost: 8 pp/rank (48) + 4 AP + 24 other powers + 4 Power feats = 80 pp Total)
Alternate Powers: Blast. Create Object (hard light constructs). Dazzle (visual). Obscure (visual, blinding light).
Extras: Enhanced Strength. Enhanced Dexterity. Enhanced Constitution. Enhanced Wisdom. Flight. Super-Senses (Ultra-Hearing 1 rank, Ultravision 1 rank, X-Ray Vision 4 ranks). Super-Strength. Total Fade.
Partial Extras: Impervious Toughness 9. Immunity 9 (Life Support). Toughness 3. Strike 3.
Flaws: Fades.
Limited - Only while acting heroically (Powers deactivate immediately when he is performing self-serving acts or being generally unheroic).
Power Feats: Power Attack. Quick Change (Instantly transform into costumed identity). Takedown Attack 2.

Combat: 12 pp
Attack +3, Damage +0/+9 (While powers are active) Unarmed, Defense +3, Initiative +0

Complications
Criminal Past - Carter is a lifelong criminal, having committed various acts of theft from burglary to arms dealing to shoplifting. Notably, he has avoided crimes like human trafficking and drug dealing. But his criminal associates often call on him to do just one more job, despite his attempts to go straight.

Renee - Renee St. Raphael is the only person Carter loves more than himself, and he will go to any lengths to protect her and take care of her, but this causes him no end of problems, since she could be used to manipulate him by kidnapping her or otherwise putting her in danger.

"One time, a ...client... decided to get a little rough with me. He beat me up pretty bad, broke my jaw. Well, Carter found out, hunted him down, and broke his....everything. Poor bastard was in a full body cast for months, and last i heard he's still eatin' all his food through a straw."
-Renee

Drawbacks
Borrowed Time (Very Common, Moderate +4 PP) Carter's powers are slowly killing him, and the moment he stops using them, either because his time ran out or because they were nullified or lost due to unheroic actions he must make a d20 roll against DC 10 or be immediately Fatigued.

"Damnit, Carter, don't be stupid! Every time you use your powers you come here coughin' up blood and lookin' like death himself! You can't keep doin' this shit!"
-Renee

Equipment: None.

Important Statistics and Facts
-Flight Speed: 500 MPH normal, 1,000 MPH accelerated (approx.33% faster than the speed of sound), 2,000 MPH all-out (nearly triple the speed of sound)

-Lift/Carry (Approximate) at full effective lifting strength of 46: Light - 2 tons. Medium - 4 tons. Heavy - 6 tons. Max Load - 12 tons. Push/Drag - 30 tons. Examples: Lear jet, subway car

-Power Fade Time: Eight minutes and twelve seconds (or 82 combat rounds) until total power loss, requiring at least an hour absorbing photonic energy before being usable again.

-Senses: Can see ultraviolet light, allowing him to see normally at night by the light of the stars or other UV light sources, see through solid objects as if they weren’t there and hear very high and low frequency sounds, like dog whistles or ultrasonic signals.

Actions that count as 'not heroic'
-Stealing for reasons other than heroic (taking a doomsday device or death ray from a villain doesn't count).
-Killing for any reason whatsoever.
-Using his powers for personal profit (No endorsement deals).
-Anything else that makes sense or violates the spirit of four-color comic morality.

Power Point Expenditures: Abilities 6 + Skills 7 (28 ranks) + Feats 5 + Powers 80  + Combat 12 + Saves 0 - 4 Drawbacks = 114 pp

Bio
"The rest of the world knows him as the Amazing Photon Man, but i've known him as long as i can remember, and lemme tell you he's not how everyone sees him. There's two things you need to know about Kevin Carter: First is that he's a born crook. He can't help it; looking for a score or an angle is just in his nature, and that'll never change. The second thing is that he's got a heart of gold.

Sure, he's a thief. But he's never hurt anyone that wasn't hurting him or somebody else, and he doesn't take from anybody that can't afford it. He's a good person with bad habits who keeps bad company, and I love him to death. He can do good and be a real hero, i know he can. Too bad he doesn't know it."

-Renee St. Raphael, high-class prostitute and on-again, off-again girlfriend of Kevin Carter

Power Description
Kevin Carter was once one of the most powerful Aces to ever exist, able to perform a staggering variety of incredible feats seemingly without limit, but since his powers failed over a decade ago he has been significantly weakened.
Carter is able to psionically manipulate Photons and related energies in the electromagnetic spectrum, giving him vast power over energy and force and allowing him to perform feats that are the stuff of legend. At his full power he
was fast enough to circle the earth in less than a minute and strong and durable enough to hold up a collapsing, burning skyscraper long enough for all within to be rescued by firefighters (one of the few truly heroic feats he has ever performed).

Carter could also emit beams of focused light from his eyes and had senses enhanced far beyond those of an ordinary person, with sight keen enough to see the vibrations in the air created by movement and hearing sensitive enough to listen to a whispered conversation from several miles away, among other awe-inspiring feats.

Now, his power is greatly reduced, as his powers are directly tied to his sense of self, and he currently believes himself to be unworthy of the power he once wielded (And even that which he currently has). His powers last only as long as he is using them to perform heroic acts, and even then only for a few minutes at a time. In addition, each time he uses his powers it seems to take a bit of his life force, killing him a little at a time.

Sally Aces

I immediately thought that perhaps Kevin might, at some point decide that the Photon 'Man' legacy had chosen a new person to hold that Card... maybe he's too far gone to be redeemed with a new, young, good Bright light in the sky...

Or... they could have a family tie of some sort...

Oh the possibilities

Angie

Hmmm, well, since there are other characters who are so similar, I wonder if I should go with the backup idea and do a Deuce character whose powers are limited to heavy regeneration and toughness, and gets by with lots of guns. Do people mind having similar setups/powers?

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Sally Aces on April 19, 2017, 10:56:04 PM
I immediately thought that perhaps Kevin might, at some point decide that the Photon 'Man' legacy had chosen a new person to hold that Card... maybe he's too far gone to be redeemed with a new, young, good Bright light in the sky...

Or... they could have a family tie of some sort...

Oh the possibilities

I dig this like crazy, if Angie is up for it. It'd be a great way to give this experienced Ace with shady leanings a reason to hang around, and it fits perfectly. Maybe he's looking for an excuse to really retire, and with someone appearing who seems like a near-perfect replacement, it's like a message from on high to hang it up. Eventually. After he's made sure the new kid is up to it.

Angie

Quote from: eternaldarkness on April 19, 2017, 11:08:49 PM
I dig this like crazy, if Angie is up for it. It'd be a great way to give this experienced Ace with shady leanings a reason to hang around, and it fits perfectly. Maybe he's looking for an excuse to really retire, and with someone appearing who seems like a near-perfect replacement, it's like a message from on high to hang it up. Eventually. After he's made sure the new kid is up to it.

Well, that answers my question. Without the Healing, I'm edging her code of conduct to be "protect the people actually doing the healing/rescuing" instead, so Carter will at least be happy to know she ACTS heroic...whether or not she has the powers and ability to actually pull it off is a different story, especially considering she wants no part of the superhero world.

So, a guy who wants to leave and a girl that doesn't want to enter. That should be interesting.

Sally Aces

So much lovely drama already, me likee... and your 'protect those who heal the broken' could fit nicely with the other EMT...

Angie

Whoever this other EMT is, feel free to message me, since her powers first manifested while on the job and gossip spread like wildfire. We can do some connections if you feel like it!

keyotess

I am working on getting approval for a character, she is bending the rules a little bit, but hopefully not in a broken manner! :)  Just waiting to hear back from Sally Aces before I say what she is.
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

My story contribution: FemFour: superheroine, Futa, NC-H

On/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=335439.0

Angie

So, here's the current sheet (and GM, feel free to smack me down for this). I haven't played much with M&M, but this is what I feel fits the character. The numbers in parenthesis are how many power points were spent on it.

Sheety goodness!

Abilities:

STR 10
12 DEX (2) +1
20 CON (10) +5
12 INT (2) +1
16 WIS (6) +3
18 CHA (8) +4

Attack Bonus: +5 (10)
Defense Bonus: +4 (8)

Nothing added to saves (0)

Skills: 40 (10)
Concentration +4
Diplomacy +8
Knowledge (Civics) +2
Knowledge (Life Sciences) +2
Medicine +11
Profession (EMT) +5
Sense Motive +8

Feats:
Inspire 3 (+3 bonus,  4 allies can be affected) (3)
Skill Master (Medicine, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Profession (EMT)) (1)

Powers:
Alternate Form 6 (Energy, Light) (30)
   Flight 3 (50 MPH) (6)
   Immunity 3 (Immune to suffocation(2), Light energy attacks(1)) (3)
   Insubstantial 3 (pass through solid objects, no STR, immune to physical damage, energy still hurts, energy barriers block) (15)
   Teleport 3 (Medium required: Artificial Light) (Accurate)  (6)
   Teleport is 300 feet as a move, 1000 feet as an extended
Light Control 6 (12) (+2 for Power Feats)
   Array: Blast 6 (Light Energy) (12)
   Array: Dazzle 6 (Visual only) (12)
Super Strength +3 (6)

This is just a first draft, to be sure, but, what do you all think? Here teleportation power has to have a Medium with which to work by the limits of Alternate Form, and I thought Light was too powerful, so I made it "Artificial Light" because, well, being able to teleport around in ALL light (or even just sunlight) felt too much.

Caradoc

I have, as I understand it, my concept approved. I don't have the sheet done because my computer doesn't like these sheets, but I'll do battle with that another time. Sounds like this is shaping up to be a lot of fun.
So tell me do you wanna go?
Where it's covered in all the colored lights
Where the runaways are running the night
Impossible comes true, it's taking over you

My Ons and Offs

A/A's Updated 1/25/17

Angie

Quote from: Caradoc on April 20, 2017, 02:16:23 PM
I have, as I understand it, my concept approved. I don't have the sheet done because my computer doesn't like these sheets, but I'll do battle with that another time. Sounds like this is shaping up to be a lot of fun.

I wrote it all down in Notepad (well, OneNote) before just copy pasting. Just something to consider, as long as it's written down, we can make it look pretty another time.

keyotess

Thanks for posting your character Angiejuusan, this helps to make sure we don't step on each others specialities. :)  And she will be able to get to people who need help quickly! :)
By accepting what is and making the best use of every situation, life can be fulfilled without a constant demand for more. --Wen Tzu

In writing, a flaw is not the interesting part of a character.  What is interesting is how a person overcomes a flaw.  I want to read how a person overcomes a flaw, not how the flaw overcomes the person.

Angie

Quote from: keyotess on April 20, 2017, 03:47:43 PM
Thanks for posting your character Angiejuusan, this helps to make sure we don't step on each others specialities. :)  And she will be able to get to people who need help quickly! :)

I kinda already am stepping on both Caradoc's and eternaldarkness's specialties, but we've chatted and they cool. Seeing as how she has Insubstantial, in Alt Form, I'm thinking of dropping the "immune to suffocation" power and making Flight 4 ranks, so that she can max out at 100 MPH and get to places faster than the ambulance does it (and she also doesn't have to worry about traffic...).

Anyway, I'm finishing some stuff up and asking for GM approval on some things, I'll get back when it's REALLY done.

Muse

Hello all!  is there still room for me? 

Hi Angie, great to see you again. 

I have some idea of what powers people are rolling.  Can someone give me an idea of what the gender ballance is?  (And orientation.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

keyotess

My heroine is female, lesbian and still under review but looks good for duplication.

Sally Aces

So, here's the link to the OOC thread

Please post there and introduce yourself by sharing:

Card Drawn: (Ace, Joker, Deuce, Nat, Joker-Ace)
Orientation: (You know the drill)
Brief Character Concept: (3 sentences about the character you want to play)
Something they love: (can be sublime, silly or serious)
Something they put off doing: (can be sublime, silly or serious)

Angie

Alright, so, revised sheet!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
15 STR (5) +2                       
12 DEX (2) +1
20 CON (10) +5
12 INT (2) +1
16 WIS (6) +3
18 CHA (8) +4

Attack Bonus: +5 (10)
Defense Bonus: +4 (8)

Saves: Fort +4 (Total +9) (4)
Reflex +4 (Total +5) (4)
Will +4 (Total +7) (4)

Skill points: 40 (10)
Concentration +4
Diplomacy +8
Knowledge (Civics) +2
Knowledge (Life Sciences) +2
Medicine +11
Profession (EMT) +5
Sense Motive +8

Feats:
Inspire 3 (+3 bonus,  4 allies can be affected)
Skill Master (Medicine, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, Profession (EMT))

Alternate Form 6 (Energy, Light) (12) (-3 per rank for costing a Full Action) (30 points for powers in her Alt Form)
   Flight 12 (50,000 MPH) (24)
   Immunity 6 (Immune to: Suffocation (2), Poison (1), Light Energy Attacks (2), Radiation (1)) (6)
Light Control 6 (12) (+2 for Power Feats)
   Array: Blast 6 (Light Energy) (12)
   Dazzle 6 (Visual only) (12)
Super Strength 5 (10)

Allegiances
   Tulane Medical Center
   Belief: Human life must be protected (i.e. no killing)
   Moral: Always aid the wounded when you can.

Motivation: Protect the weak and the innocent.

Complications:
   Honor (must always aid the wounded, even if the villain is rampaging through Downtown)

Drawbacks:
   Vulnerable (Shadow Energy, any attack with a Shadow/Darkness descriptor hurts twice as much) (Major) (-3)

Suggestions for extra Complications are welcome, by the by.

TFcommando

One thing you might want to look at for her is the Precise extra on the Blast.  That'd let her use it as a tool for medical work.  Though it could also be temporarily gained with a hero point when the situation called for it, if it's not a trick she can do all the time.

Narrowing things down for the background, motivation and nature of a sorceress character on my end.  Not a public hero who appears on TV and has endorsements, but known to people who might need to contact her.  Still torn between normal human appearance, a satyr or naga joker type or normal human with a complication where horns and such grow in for a while when she pushes her powers. 
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay