The Maiden Voyage of RMS Mystic (CLOSED for Recruiting)

Started by Zillah, March 03, 2013, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zillah

The Maiden Voyage of RMS Mystic

The sinking of the Titanic was a blow from which the White Star Line – owners and operators of the doomed ship – never seemed to be able to fully recover. As the Roaring Twenties began, the company found itself falling deeper and deeper into debt, even as other corporations suddenly found themselves flush with riches. As a last-ditch gamble to reverse their fortunes, the White Star Line commissioned a new ship to be built – one bigger and grander than even the Titanic and its two siblings, the Olympic and the Britannic. Called the RMS Mystic, work on this 60,000 ton luxury liner began in March 1925, and was completed in May 1928.

White Star did not dare to tempt fate and call RMS Mystic “unsinkable” … but they did proclaim that the newest luxury liner in their fleet would be the most grand and opulent ship ever to sail in the Atlantic. Interest around the ship’s inaugural voyage began to build – would it be cursed, as many believed the Titanic to be? Was White Star indeed tempting fate? Or would this be a return to glory for White Star?

Regardless of its outcome, on September 12, 1928, the RMS Mystic was scheduled to sail from Southampton to New York City. For better or for worse, its maiden voyage would become part of history. Many rich and powerful people made a point to take passage on the ship, if only to become a part of that history … and hoped that RMS Mystic would not suffer the same fate as Titanic.

Want to come aboard?

OOC

This group RP game is a fictional scenario based on some historical events in the 1920s – specifically, the fortunes of the White Star Line of ships. In reality, White Star commissioned the building of a ship called Oceanic III that would’ve served a similar purpose to RMS Mystic in this RP … however, in reality White Star went bankrupt and Oceanic III was never completed. In this RP, RMS Mystic is finished and ready to sail.

As events aboard the Mystic’s maiden voyage unfold, there will be some supernatural elements incorporated into this RP. If you’re familiar with the show “Twin Peaks” … well, think of that show being set aboard a 1920s luxury liner, and you’ll have an idea of what this RP will (hopefully) be like. If not … suffice it to say that weird, creepy strange things will be happening from time to time aboard the ship. Nothing overly gory or disgusting, but definitely disturbing.

This is mostly a sandbox setting – characters will be free to do, for the most part, what they like about the ship for the duraction of their five-day voyage. Certain events will unfold during this time; however, what the characters decide to do in reaction to those events is entirely up to the players. This could be a RP completely filled with smut, or have almost none at all – again, it’ll be up to the players. As GM, I intend mostly to lay out a few plot threads that players may choose to follow, or not, and occasionally nudge things in a given direction … but for the most part, I plan on being hands-off in regards to what the players choose to do.

This RP will be placed in the NC section of these boards primarily because of potential horror-based story elements that I intend to introduce as the story progresses. I would prefer that NC actions not take place between characters; however, if they do, all I would ask is that all players be in full agreement about what’s to take place before posts are made … and that all GMs are looped in as well.

Structure

This RP is freeform, and doesn’t utilize a system of rules. Characters would be expected to abide by the rules of polite society, as least in the public areas of the ship … within their cabins, though, they might have more leeway. The ship’s captain and crew are the authorities aboard the ship, and their rules are the final say on what’s permissible aboard the ship. The rich and famous aboard the ship may find themselves able to persuade the crew to allow certain activities, but even that would have its limits.

Characters

Characters should all be original. If they are based upon real-life people, that’s fine, but no actual historical figures should be used as characters. All player characters should be over the age of eighteen, and should be believable in the context of Roaring Twenties history – no futa or non-human characters, for example, or time-travelers from the 22nd century, or other outright anachronisms. I’m happy to work with people on character concepts that fit the setting, but please try to think of something that fits into the setting first. Starting players will be allowed no more than two characters to begin with – let’s see how things go before introducing any more than that. (Characters that join the game after the Mystic sets sail will be assumed to have been aboard the ship the whole time, just not part of the action that previous characters have been part of .)

Three different types of characters may be played in this RP:

Crew Members work for the White Star Line, and their duties are first and foremost dedicated to keeping the ship running smoothly, and keeping its guests happy. Crew members ranged from deck hands to navigators to the bartenders and waitresses on “B” Deck.

First Class Passengers are the crème de la crème of high society. Silent movie stars, oil magnates, politicians, royalty … these wealthy individuals are the social elite.

Steerage Passengers are ordinary people, usually immigrants seeking a new life in the United States. They have access to less areas aboard the Mystic, but that doesn’t mean their voyages would be any less interesting.

Posting

I’m looking for players who can write a minimum of 2-3 paragraphs per post – more is fine, but less probably isn’t going to work. All posts should either be in first- or third-person, using past tense. All posts need to begin with a bolded tag indicating who your character is, exactly where they are and who they’re with, and what they’re doing. For example:

Name: Captain Nelson
With: First Mate Smith and Mrs. Jones
Activity: Talking About the Weather

… you get the idea. And abiding by the Oath of Drake is always a good idea as well.

That’s it for now. If interested, please PM me or post here. Should this RP prove to be interesting to enough people, I’ll provide a character template for everyone to use. (And if you’re interested in possibly co-GMing with me, definitely let me know!)

Edit 1: Well, enough people have expressed interest in this RP to where I think a character template is needed! Here it is - if you've expressed interest in playing, by all means, please post a character for approval!

[float=left][img height=150 padding=10](link to  Character Image here)[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Position:[/b] (Crew Member/First Class Passenger/Steerage Passenger)
[b]Sexual Preferences:[/b] (Dominant/submissive, straight, bi, etc. Can also include kinks.)
[b]Appearance:[/b] (Brief written description in addition to picture)
[b]Personality:[/b] (How they act, quirks)
[b]Background:[/b] (What their job is, what relationships they might have, what they’ve done prior to boarding the RMS Mystic)

Edit 2: As of right now, this RP is closed for new characters. If you expressed interest in the RP either in this thread or by PM and didn't get around to submitting a character yet, you're fine - though please do send me your character concept ASAP for approval. Anyone else wanting to play who hasn't previously expressed interest ... sorry. This ship, so to speak, has sailed. ::)

The OOC thread is now open. Please use this to discuss anything you want about the game, and to ask any game-related questions you might have. Do not post questions/suggestions for the game in this thread anymore - I'll be using it to wrap up some character approvals, and then I'll be shutting down this thread until/unless recruiting becomes necessary again.

The Cast of Characters thread can also be found here. Please, don't post anything there yourself. I've learned from the experience of others that while it's more work for the GM, it's easier if a character thread is maintained by as few people as possible. That way I can maintain formatting and bookkeeping in a way that works more easily for me. The first post in that thread features Branwen's overview sheet - I'll be adding other characters to it as they get approved.

I'm currently working on opening game posts, deck plans, and more character stuff. We should be on target to start this coming Monday (March 11) - hope to see you all then!

Branwen

Alysanthia

Branwen

There is another player who would be entering the game with my character if it, ha, sets sail.  :)

IrishWolf

Well this is interesting indeed. Whom to play though? A well off young officer, ready to woo the ladies among the first class passengers or a brawny stoker from the boiler room, ready to show a passenger around the engineering marvels of the ship and where to find a private place aboard.....

Montagne

Miva

Chreestafer

very interested yes ;) waiting to see more interest, posting interest as a possible lower level crew member, probly some engine worker or something.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Question Mark

Wow, finally something interesting!  And I just watched Titanic again last night.  Spooooky.  So, yes, I'd like to partake in this story!

One of my ideas is to make a crew member (maybe a radio operator?) who has some interest in the occult and supernatural.  Not a practitioner or professional, but it's something more like a curious interest.  His gut reaction to the mysterious events would be to investigate them, seeking fame as the White Star crewman who proved, once and for all, that the supernatural exists.

Another concept is a passenger who was a Scotland Yard investigator in London, but who wants to start a new life after something drove him away.  He too would investigate the strange events, but he'd be motivated by wanting to protect the passengers and solve the mystery.

Thoughts?

Branwen

Look at all of the ~amazing~ writers in here!  Some of you I know *waves to the Chreestafer*, some of you are brand new and are just as wonderful *waves to Miva* and some of you I've seen your work before and admired.  Wow!  This is an intimidating group of people to potentially be a part of.  Intimidating good, not bad.  :)

Zillah, you have one heck of an idea and a reputation to so quickly draw everyone.  Good job!

CarnivorousBunny

Very, very interested :) I'd like to play either a crew member or a spoilt rich girl :P
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

Ebb

VonDoom

I'll say, this does sound rather intriguing. Though I've yet to actually watch Titanic after avoiding it for ages and have also never looked into Twin Peaks, the themes that are described here sound like something I'd enjoy. Perhaps with a con artist and thief, mingling with the crème de la crème to steal, seduce and ... well, then steal some more, or at least mooch off of a bit?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Zillah

Thanks, Branwen. This is my very first attempt at running a group game, so I'm also pleasantly surprised at the interest, and of the caliber of writers expressing their interest! :)

It looks like we at least have enough interested players to warrant getting this RP off the ground, so I'll work up a character template, which I'll post later today. Once that's up, you all should feel free to post your character ideas in this thread. If people are totally stuck on what sort of character they'd like to make, maybe some posted characters will provide inspiration ... if not, feel free to PM me for ideas.

And my thanks to everyone so far who's taken the time to read and post in this thread, or to PM me about the game!

xPeachyPuff

Awesome concept here! I would like to express interest in this game and already have character concepts flooding my mind, haha. I adored the movie Titanic and love the history about it, though I can fairly say I am no History buff xD I don't know much about the 20's in general, but I'm not afraid to do a little digging if you'd have me.

I'm thinking of playing a female actress aboard the ship, if that would be alright. (: I'll think more about fleshing out a character and stuff while waiting to hear from everyone.

Thanks,
-xSRx

Chreestafer

Quote from: Branwen on March 04, 2013, 05:35:18 AM
Look at all of the ~amazing~ writers in here!  Some of you I know *waves to the Chreestafer*, some of you are brand new and are just as wonderful *waves to Miva* and some of you I've seen your work before and admired.  Wow!  This is an intimidating group of people to potentially be a part of.  Intimidating good, not bad.  :)

Zillah, you have one heck of an idea and a reputation to so quickly draw everyone.  Good job!

Hey Branwen! :)

And cant wait till this starts up
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Zillah

Okay - character template is up! Please look at the end of the initial post in this thread for the coding, I've edited that post and put the template there.

Also the post immediately following this one should  have two NPCs to use as a guideline for what I'm looking for. :)

In regards to history, and setting this in the 1920s - I'm not expecting details to be historically perfect, so don't worry too much about things ... but if parts of your character are clearly anachronistic in regards to the Roaring Twenties, I'll either be asking you to make some changes or revisions, or think of a new concept. I'm going for "looks close enough" in terms of a standard, if that makes sense. Hopefully too many aren't needed.

And as always, if there's questions, by all means, ask them, either in this thread, or by PM. :)

Once we have a couple of characters posted, I'll try to put together an OOC thread and a Characters thread in the NC: Human-Freeform Small Groups area.

Zillah

Character Samples

These are two NPCs that I’ll be running for this RP. Hopefully this gives everyone a good idea of what I’m looking for in a submitted character, and perhaps provides some inspiration for anyone trying to think of a character concept.

Name: Captain Gareth Sinclair
Position: Crew Member; Captain of the RMS Mystic
Sexual Preferences: Straight
Appearance: Tall, always meticulously dressed, rarely smiles
Personality: Captain Sinclair is a no-nonsense man who is completely dedicated to his work. He’s a perfectionist, and demands that everything be done exactly as he demands. He’s also a patient man, though, and can be exceptionally kind and generous to members of his crew when orders are followed exactly as he wants. He has a rather dry sense of humor ... people often find it hard to tell whether he's joking with them or not.
Background: Captain Sinclair comes from a poor family in Liverpool. He joined the Royal Navy at an early age, and built an impressive career and reputation for himself in the Great War. During one particular battle later in the war, Captain Sinclair was forced to assume command of his ship after his commanding officer was killed in an attack, and his ability to remain calm and collected during the heat of battle made him a hero that day. He left the Navy with full honors in the early 1920s, and joined the White Star Line as a luxury ship captain shortly thereafter.

While Captain Sinclair is not the most senior captain amongst the White Star Line commanding officers, his attention to detail and cool demeanor under pressure made him the natural choice of the Board of Directors to make him captain of RMS Mystic for its maiden voyage. This earned him some jealousy amongst the other captains, but Captain Sinclair pays no heed to such snide comments and remarks. He looks forward to the challenge – and the fame – of being the Mystic’s first captain, and is determined to make the first journey of the ship as perfect as possible. 

Name: Maggie Delaney
Position: First Class Passenger; Magician’s Assistant
Sexual Preferences: Bisexual; submissive; secretly into bondage and anal sex
Appearance: Slim, slender blonde, always dresses in the latest fashions, always appears quite cheerful
Personality: Maggie is a carefree, fun loving young woman. She’s a free spirit who lives for the moment, who loves a glass of champagne and a good party. She’s been the center of attention for a long time during her career in vaudeville and theater, and is eager to please. She’s not exactly the brightest girl in the world, but her eager, friendly disposition usually makes her well-liked by those she meets.
Background: Maggie was born the daughter of aerial circus performers – the Daring Delaneys, part of the world-famous Reginald Brothers Circus. She participated in the act with her family for some time, but shortly after the Great War, she met a stage magician named the Amazing Dashini. Maggie left the circus to become part of Dashini’s act, where she started to become famous in her own right, as part of Dashini’s famous “Vanishing Girl” trick … and she also began a secret affair with the dashing (and married) Dashini. It was also during this time that Dashini introduced her to the idea that handcuffs could be used for more than magic acts.

The Amazing Dashini just finished up a one-year-engagement in London, with a new one-year engagement in New York City set to begin in the beginning of October. Maggie was sent by the Amazing Dashini to head to New York early, to help set up the theater hosting their act. Always the showman, Dashini made sure to book Maggie aboard the Mystic to bring a little more attention to their act. She’s looking forward to socializing with the other first-class passengers aboard the Mystic, and to promote her act with the Amazing Dashini whenever she can!

xPeachyPuff

Alrighty, awesome. I'll get started on fleshing something out and will post it here shortly (I hope.) (:

-xSRx

Alysanthia

bubby

*Peeks in and checks this out*

Quote from: Alysanthia on March 04, 2013, 12:43:58 PM
Oh I can't wait!

I have so many ideas in my head...

ALY! You need to PM me with your ideas, cuz maybe then I can rustle something up and have our chars know each other or sumthin!

Ebb

Name: Clifford Thomson
Position: First Class Passenger
Sexual Preferences: Depressingly vanilla, with a whole host of dark kinky urges that have been successfully repressed up until now.
Appearance: Tall and broad shouldered. Always impeccably groomed, typically wearing well-pressed gray suit and starched shirt. Typically grim expression.
Personality: Straight-laced and proper to a fault, at least until he begins to fail to resist temptation. At the beginning of the voyage fairly taciturn and brooding.
Background: Clifford Thomson is a G-Man (though that term won't become common for a few years yet.) He is one of the bright young men straight out of law school brought into work for the Bureau of Investigation (B.O.I.) by recent Director J. Edgar Hoover. He loves his country and his job, believes that Prohibition is a moral imperative that will work out just fine if given a little more time, brushes his teeth three times a day and refrains from cursing and smoking. Music may be enjoyed on occasion, but dancing is right out.

Two months ago after a whirlwind romance Clifford was married to one June Marples, a free-thinking and carefree girl originally from New Orleans. The two seemed to epitomize the cliche of "opposites attract". Except that what seemed to be a happy relationship in public was anything but at home. One month ago they left on their delayed honeymoon, a European vacation culminating in first class passage back to the United States aboard the RMS Mystic, at the expense of most of Clifford's life savings. The vacation, intended to save their marriage, failed utterly at its purpose. Four days ago in Barcelona June left Clifford for a young bullfighter named Javier, citing Clifford's lack of passion and spontaneity, among other negative attributes.

Several hours ago Clifford boarded the RMS Mystic with a single ticket for a double-berth cabin, almost certainly heading for a major breakdown of one form or another. He wears a gold wedding band on his left hand and carries a Colt Police Positive Special in a shoulder holster under his suit jacket. (And if at least one of the two of those doesn't get thrown over the rail into the ocean at some point during the journey, then I have probably failed as a writer.)

bubby

Oh.... Ebb... nice...

*Jabs at her brain to start coming up with ideas.* He needs a 'friend' it seems...

Alysanthia

Quote from: bubby on March 04, 2013, 12:48:56 PM
*Peeks in and checks this out*

ALY! You need to PM me with your ideas, cuz maybe then I can rustle something up and have our chars know each other or sumthin!

Bubby! :D *Huggles* Yesyesyes! Let us plot awa...

o///o *Spies a Christian Bale.*

Ebb

Quote from: bubby on March 04, 2013, 01:51:26 PM
Oh.... Ebb... nice...

*Jabs at her brain to start coming up with ideas.* He needs a 'friend' it seems...

Thank you!

And yes, he certainly needs... something. I have an inkling he's come to the right place.