Recruitment Closed: Shadowrun 4e: Heavy Metal King

Started by NotoriusBEN, May 09, 2010, 01:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hikari

There is a Quality (Born Rich) that can allow you to spend up to 60 BP on gear, but the character generator program probably doesn't parse it right, as it seems to have some issues with applying the effects of Qualities like that to later stages in the process.  (I don't think it knows how to deal with Type O System or Biocompatability, either.)  If you're finding yourself awash in Essence and short on nuyen, there's always the old standby: replace bioware with equivalent cyberware, and downgrade to standard instead of Alpha.  This is actually a much more practical option in SR4 than it was in SR3, since (with judicious use of bioware) you're no longer likely to run out of Essence ten seconds into a spending spree.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over
You're no longer laughing
I'm not drowning fast enough

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Kunoichi

Well, I know that Cybernetic limbs aren't exactly all that useful in this edition unless you spend some nuyen tricking them out.  If you pulled those off your list, would you have some money to spare?

Edit: To illustrate my point, the sample Street Samurai in the book has Alphaware Wired Reflexes 2, Alphaware Dermal Plating 2, Alphaware Muscle Replacement 2, and then some Rating 3 Cybereyes packed with helpful vision mods. ^^; After that, he had enough leftover for a katana, two knives, four guns, ammo for each, a motorcycle, body armor...

ReijiTabibito

Kuno is right.  Perhaps the most important thing for your street sam to buy would be Wired Reflexes 2 - it gives you a +2 to your Reaction stat, and it gives you 2 extra actions per turn.  Granted, the base version takes half your Essence, but seeing as how you can only buy base and Alphaware versions at creation, it's not a bad trade-off.

Hikari

Sadly, they're actually quite a bit better than they used to be, but...  "the more things change," right?  They are still prohibitively expensive in both nuyen and essence for very little real benefit, especially if you have the sheer temerity to go with Synthetics.  Cyberlimbs, in cyberpunk, the nerve of you!  (It actually makes a bit more sense now that SR is "transhumanism" rather than traditional "cyberpunk," but it's always grated at me regardless.)  Also with four limbs you aren't going to get much juice out of them unless you also install a cybertorso, and four full limbs plus a torso is basically your entirely allowable pool of Essence and nuyen.

As someone who'd really like to make a (playable) "full synthetic" character I understand your pain, but it just doesn't work worth a crap with starting resources.
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Opheliac

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 10, 2010, 06:17:16 PM
Are you sure?  You've got 250,000 to spend...

Yeah. Its 20K per arm and leg.

Hikari

They do cost you an arm and a leg, yes.  (rimshot)
The wait is over,
I'm now taking over

-The Strokes, Reptilia

Kunoichi

Hmm.  But an obvious cyberhand only costs 5,000 nuyen, and you could put a cyberarm gyromount in for 6,000, getting yourself some excellent recoil compensation...

Edit: Ah, but a cyberarm gyromount is extremely illegal, so you'd want to make sure not to get caught if you decide to go for it. ^^; You can't even get a fake license for it, unfortunately.

NotoriusBEN

I leave on a plane for 6 hours and this thread explodes. >.>

Ok so it looks like:

Reiji-            Hacker
Kuno-           Mage                              submitted
Paladin-        Infiltrator                       submitted
AlleyCat-      Go Go Girl Face               submitted
Opheliac-     Street Samurai
Hikari-          Street Samurai (?)

That makes six and that is the most I can handle. Thanks for all the interest sent in via posts and PMs people. PLEASE KEEP CHECKING BACK FROM TIME TO TIME. I may be able to pop you in as a cameo NPC or something.

And a big thank you to those of you helping Opheliac getting her samurai in order. I do have a soft spot for the occasional car chase (outside of the current scope of this game at the moment), but I'll make it more "Cannonball Run" compared to "Transporter 3" if wheelman arent what people want to play.

Let me get cleaned up and I'll go ahead and post an intro piece so that we can get moving, but I -will- need characters posted sooner rather than later (like wednesday or thursday sooner)

ReijiTabibito

My character is almost done.  I'm working up my free Knowledge Skill points now, and then I just have to format it...BEN, question.  Can we use the Advanced Lifestyle rules on this one?  Kuno said her character was built using them, and you approved her...

Also, I'm wondering.  Which is the biggest security company in Seattle?  Is it still Lone Star?

NotoriusBEN

yes, you can use the advanced lifestyle if you choose, I have a very big warm fuzzy feeling that this will go beyond food fight. ^^

and yes, Lone Star is still the top dog in Seattle, but Knight Errant is starting to take over certain districts due to the Tempo craze (more on that later).
We are going to be in the first quarter of 2071, after the big Techomancer scare, but before Tempo makes a big name on the streets.

ReijiTabibito

Okay, good.  I was planning on taking a Knowledge Skill related to the top company in Seattle, and Lone Star is one of the presets set into the chara creation program.

Kunoichi

Hooray, my first long-term Shadowrun game! ;D

*has never had any irl games get past the first mission*

ReijiTabibito

Hey, BEN, ah, anyway to add a specialty to a skill in the chara generator?

NotoriusBEN

yes, just click the skills button, then click on the skill that you would like to add to your character (eg. blades), then in the middle window should be a list of specialties (e. axes, cyber implants, swords, knifes, etc.) and there is a button underneath that says "Add Spe" click that button to add specialties. The + and - buttons add or subract rating levels to your skills

make sure you are in a skill tab like "combat" or "computer" and not the "Group Skill" tab

ReijiTabibito

No, I mean a NEW specialty.  One that isn't pre-loaded into the program.  Example.  I want my character to have Club Music as a Knowledge Skill, with Electro-pop as a specialty.  But E-pop isn't a specialty in the program.

NotoriusBEN

oh :P

cant help you with that, just put something similar inside to use up the space and then change it when you copy the printout over to E. Like I said, it doesnt have everything listed, but it helps with number crunching

NotoriusBEN

oh! also, if you guys have small pics of your characters that I can make tokens for the maps that would be perfect!

If you've seen the pics in SR4 or SR4A, that's the ideal flavor I'm looking for, but anything from realistic drawings to anime are perfect. Lord knows that Im going to have a field day looking for baddies :P

ReijiTabibito

How small are we talking, exactly?  Also, a couple of questions.

What's the difference between:

Security Design (with a Matrix specialization) and Matrix Security?

Security Procedures (with a Lone Star specializtion) and Lone Star Procedures?

Security Procedures and Corp. Security Tactics?

Paladin

Actually My character is  Phys Adept mix of Infiltrator and Gun Fu master.

Kunoichi

Hmm.  I guess I'd have to go with this picture, as the closest thing I could find to my character. ^^; If you crop it down to just the face or head, it should work well for your purposes.

Edit: Or maybe this?

Edit2: *needs to make up her mind*

Or this, this, or maybe this... ><;

NotoriusBEN

that's one thing I wish they explained a little bit in SR4 :S

Here is my take on them:
Think of Knowledge skills as "keywords" that you can roll against to see if your character actually knows what is being discussed. As the GM, I use those generalities or specifics in how I convey information that your character knows.

The more focused your keywords, the more likely your character knows the subtleties of the topic, but the less often it would come up.

So~

Security Design would be the catch all term for anything that needed to be secured whether it was matrix storage, or key locks or staff rotations etc as it pertains to "Security Design". having that Matrix Specialty means that you have more emphasis in Security Designs as it pertains to the Matrix, but still have the General Knowledge.

You would know how the Corps set up their Security based on certain tried and true methods, like using Biometrics to allow employee access, but you might not know that Renraku just started to include a new Arcane Ritual along with the usual run of the mill things.

Now, Matrix Security on the otherhand, is more specific than just Security Design. You would again know the tried and true methonds of security as it pertained to the matrix, and there is the possiblity that you would know Ares just updated their IC programs. Specialize in Ares and you would be able to pull up Specs on that new IC.

Make sense?

ReijiTabibito

I think so...and yeah, it would have helped if they expanded upon it in ONE of the books...

Kunoichi

Now that I'm thinking about it, I've got a question of my own:

My character, Timbre, has the negative quality Geas (Must sing and/or play guitar), which basically means that her magic isn't anywhere near as powerful as it would normally be unless she either sings, plays the guitar, or does both while casting.

The question I'd like to ask is, does playing the air guitar count? ^^;

ReijiTabibito

Kunoichi

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 10, 2010, 11:12:23 PM
It's Yui-chaaaaaaaan~!  <3333

The last picture in my little list?  Yeah. ^^; That one, the one with the cat, and the very first one fit my mental image of what she's like in her day to day life walking around on the street, while the others are more of what she's like on stage.

Edit: And since fashion and makeover let her change her clothing and hair at her convenience... >>; Well, you can see my dilemma.