Doomtown (A Deadlands RPG/Interest Check)

Started by Ciosa, February 23, 2013, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciosa

The year is 1876, and the world has gone straight to Hell. Well, pardner, that ain't entirely true – it's mostly on the way to Perdition, but no one seems to be trying too hard to slow this handbasket down. The South and the North are still dukin' it out, and the world's gone crazy over a little piece of ore called ghost-rock. Gomorra's a boom town set high atop the deadly Great Maze – that's 'California' for all you East Coast cityfolk – and the place is lousy with ghost-rock, gold and silver. The Tombstone Epitaph spins tall tales of things that go bump in the night.

There's a reason the locals call it 'Doomtown.'

Are you a bible-toting preacher? A muckraking journalist? A cowboy of the wild frontiers? A humble prospector? A steely-eyed gunslinger? One of those mad scientists that goes crazy over ghost-rock? A card-playing huckster? A simple saloon gal? A discharged soldier? Fortunes are won and lost every day in Gomorra - and so are lives.
Welcome to the Weird West, pardner.

A repository of inspirational images.
A very much WIP wiki.

Game:
What section will the game be placed in?

The game will be placed in the Bondage System section.  I'll be adding a thread for sexual activities of a 'normal' kind and a 'non-consensual' kind, but housing the second inside the NC section.  This is a reflection of the fairly harsh realities of the West; that said, I have no intention of forcing anyone into scenes they are uncomfortable with.  I will never, ever force sexual role-play of any kind on a player, nor will I allow another player to.  We might write non-consent, but out of character, no still means no.

Who is the RP open to?

The game is open to any member of E!

What will the player's role be?

Players will play inhabitants of Gomorra, a boomtown in the Great Maze that was once California.  Their role will be largely of their own devising – they can try to win influence with the powerful voices in Gomorra, and seize control of the town for those interests, or they can work for their own interests; they can struggle to fall in love and get married, strike a claim, operate a successful business – the West has room for heroes, reluctant heroes, and scoundrels of all sorts.  Gomorra's a dangerous place – it's also politically volatile territory, and the USA and the CSA, as well as powerful factions in the Great Maze are interested in controlling it.

What is the plot?
There will be an ongoing metaplot, but much of the action of the story will be shaped and driven by the players.  Multiple factions of powerful individuals are trying to seize control of Gomorra for themselves.  Some motives are pure, others greedy, and others positively malign.  The fate of the town will rest in the player's hands – and quite possibly the wealth of the boomtown, too.

What is the setting?
The game is set in the world of Deadlands, in the year 1876.  Gomorra is far enough away from Lost Angels or Shan Fan (two other important cities in the Great Maze) to be independent of them, and is located near the Iron Dragon railroad, making it capable of selling ghostrock, gold, and silver directly to interested parties without shipping it through the Maze.  It's also had some of the largest strikes on record discovered in the mesas around Gomorra, drawing miners and businessfolk from all directions.

How do I create a character?

Character Creation rules will be posted on the wiki.  There are actually two methods to create a character – the first is 'Do it Yourself' using the modified system rules (soon to be) present on the wiki, and the second is to send a concept for a character directly to myself.  I can do the outlay of points and give you a rough outline as to what a concept is and isn't capable of – but I will also tell you to tone if back if what you'd like to accomplish is too much for the character creation rules, and your concept is unbalanced.

What do I need to play?
There are no required resources.  Information will be posted to the wiki.  Knowledge of the game world is not required.  Note that, there are elements of the overarching story which are spoilers – if you are familiar with the world of Deadlands, please do not post 'spoiler' information here.

What do I need to play?
I'm expecting to have periodic time jumps in the game, but they'll be scheduled and at regular intervals.  I'll expect consideration for the posting rates of others.  I would like to see a posting rate of 2/week; if you can't make that, I'll ask you to stay out of larger group scenes to allow the pace to continue.  That said, there's still plenty someone who posts a little more slowly can accomplish.

What about sex?
As stated above, any and all sex is going to be at the whim of the players.  It will not be a mandatory part of the game, nor will it be discouraged.

Will there be a tagging system?
I'll be using a tagging system in the game, to keep who said what when and where clear.

How will NPCs be handled?
There will be two types of NPCs – GM controlled and Player controlled.  You can get some extra bonuses from me if you're willing to run a few NPCs to give the town color and flair.  All major NPCs will be GM characters, but the PC/NPCs may be inserted into the game with specific agendas.  (Not necessarily bad ones.)

Game Master Info
Will there be a co-GM?
At this time, I have one person interested in Co-GMing.  If the game grows large enough, I'm interested in adding a second, or possibly more.

What kind of game is it?  An adventure story, or a sandbox story?
The game is going to be a mix of guided and sandbox play.  There will be adventure threads to pursue, but they aren't obligatory, and I don't even believe they will be the major scope of gameplay, nor meant to include every player.  I'm intending the game to be a mix of politics, economics, action, adventure, and world building.  That means that a pacafistic wealthy philanthropist is going to have just as much to do in the game as a tough as nails gunfighter.  I'm looking for a WIDE range of concepts, not a 'party' with a complementary set of abilities.  Shopkeepers and saloon gals are just as viable, and concepts that will breath life and intrigue into the game will be my top choice.

How active a GM will you be?
I intend to be an active GM.  I will post on a daily basis, more if necessary, and if for some reason I'm unable to, I will make note as to why.

Will there be an OOC thread?
I'll be making use of an OOC thread.  I'm also available by PM, and I expect there will be an assortment of questions/activities the players may choose to avail themselves of privately.

How will decisions be resolved?
I'll be the final arbiter of all decisions – I'm not often one to ask a player to rewrite a post, unless that post represents a glaring breach of continuity or rules, or the god-moding of someone else's character.  That said, I have a very democratic style, and I will do my best to listen to the concerns of the player base.

What about player versus player conflicts? (PvP)
This is actually a big enough deal to me I started a poll.

On PvP:  PvP will be allowed, but it will ALWAYS be consensual.  I'm not looking to have PCs gunned down while taking their tea.  If there is player versus player conflict that may result in a death, I intend it to occur only inside the context of a Showdown, and a Showdown will ONLY occur with two consensual players.  There will be more on this, later, but character death IS a possibility in the game.  It will never happen arbitrarily or randomly, and it will never occur in player on player conflict without a player's consent.

Additional:
I would ask all players to abide by the Oath of Drake.

Regardless of the NC forum, I expect all players to respect the offs of other players.

I ask all players to communicate absences and/or dropping the game.  No hard feelings ever, pardner.  RL always takes priority, and if the game isn't for you, the game isn't for you.

New players will be able to be added at any time.  As the game of politics and intrigue goes on, new players will play a valuable role in contributing to the game political mechanism.

I'll ask all players to write in the third person, using past tense, for consistency.  Do your best with spelling and grammar.  I find when reading posts it is easiest if players are using the same writing style; its jarring to continually switch from one tense to another, or from one style to another.

Character Sheet

[float=right][img height=300 padding=10]<image file here>[/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]

[b]Player Name:[/b]

[b]Ethnicity:[/b]

[b]Sex:[/b]

[b]Physical Description: [/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b] (Please note: The predominant 'isms' of the time – sexism, racism, bigotry, etc are all going to be played true to the era.)

[b]Ons & Offs:[/b]  (Please provide a link to your own, and add any character relevant ones here.)

[b]Place of Birth:[/b]

[b]Living Arrangements:[/b] (If your character does not have the 'Dinero' advantage, it's suggested they buy a tent.  Only characters living in Gomorra and with the Dinero advantage will own a home.  Please note, if your character is currently living in Gomorra, how long ago they arrived.)

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b] (Must be detailed and include at least three paragraphs)

[spoiler=Traits][table][tr][td][b]Corporeal[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td][td][b]Mental[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td]
[tr][td]Deftness[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Cognition[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Nimbleness[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Knowledge[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Quickness[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Mien[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Strength[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Smarts[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Vigor[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Spirit[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Aptitudes][table][tr][td][b]Aptitude[/b][/td][td][b]Associated Trait[/b][/td][td][b]Rank[/b][/td]
[tr][td]Area Knowledge (Home County)[/td][td]Knowledge[/td][td]2[/td]
[tr][td]Climbing[/td][td]Nimbleness[/td][td]1[/td]
[tr][td]Search[/td][td]Cognition[/td][td]1[/td]
[tr][td]Sneak[/td][td]Nimbleness[/td][td]1[/td]
[tr][td]<skill>[/td][td]<Trait>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]<skill>[/td][td]<Trait>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Edges & Hindrances][table][tr][td][b]Edges[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td][td][b]Hindrances[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td]
[tr][td]<edge>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]<hindrance>[/td][td]<-1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]<edge>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]<hindrance>[/td][td]<-1-5>[/td][/table][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gear and Remaining Money: $][table][tr][td][b]Gear[/b][/td][td][b]Cost[/b][/td][td][b]Quality[/b][/td]
[tr][td]<gear>[/td][td]$<amount>[/td][td]<quality>[/td]
[tr][td][b]Total:[/b][/td][td][b]$<amount>[/b][/td][/spoiler]
[spoiler=20 Questions:]The questions in red are mandatory.  Answer at least five questions, including the mandatory questions.

[color=red]1. What is your character's motivation in general?  (Power, protecting a family, wealth, sex...)

2. What is your character's motivation to be in Gomorra?  (Escaping trouble, making a stake, etc)

3. What is your character's greatest nightmare?  (At least a paragraph)[/color]

4. What are your character's favorite things?

5. What are your character's least favorite things?

6. What is your character's greatest virtue?

7. What is your character's greatest hubris?

8. Does your character have any dependents?

9. How does your character feel about national and international politics?

10. How does your character feel about religion?

11. Where is your character from?

12. What are your characters prejudices?

13. If your character's story was a movie, (and not a western) what genre would it be?

14. What is your character's orientation, and on and offs?

15. What is the best event that has happened to your character?

16. What is the worst event that has happened to your character?

17. What is your characters code of morality?

18. What would tempt them to break that code?

19. Is your character a Veteran of the Weird West*?

20.  What is the most important thing to know about your character?[/spoiler]

hippyness

I don't care about the rest of the words at present but you said the magic ones in the title!

Hell yeah Deadlands! Let's saddle up!

Side note: is this Classic (please say yes) or Reloaded (Savage World) rules?
Totally me in that avatar. ^_-
I need something exactly seven percent stronger than TEA!
Something I have found helpful from other partners. http://rh.greydawn.net/browse.php?c=hippyness

Josietta

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Phaia

I am in like Flint on this. I always wanted to try this setting...loved it when I read about the world
I am in like FLYNN!!!

Better

And Since its being run by Ciosa what is not to like
Thank you for this Ciosa!!

Phaia

Ciosa

Quote from: hippyness on February 23, 2013, 05:53:17 PM
I don't care about the rest of the words at present but you said the magic ones in the title!

Hell yeah Deadlands! Let's saddle up!

Side note: is this Classic (please say yes) or Reloaded (Savage World) rules?

A variant of classic streamlined for online play.

Phaia

do you need a Map of north america showing how things look?

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/File:Deadlandsmap.jpg

there is one in the wiki section

Phaia

Ciosa

Quote from: Josietta on February 23, 2013, 06:40:48 PM
*pounces on her darling and nibbles*

*catches his darling and nibbles back* 

Quote from: Phaia on February 23, 2013, 06:58:15 PM
do you need a Map of north america showing how things look?

https://elliquiy.com/wiki/File:Deadlandsmap.jpg

there is one in the wiki section

Phaia

I actually like this one: 

It shows more of the rails and the interconnections, even if Gomorra is a little harder to see.  (It's north of Shan Fan, in California/The Great Maze)

Ciosa

I want to emphasize - this is not intended to be the typical Deadlands tabletop style game.  (Form party, find bad things, shoot bad things, rinse, repeat.)  My thinking for the design of the game is a lot closer to a western/horror style version of Game of Thrones,  There's a definite element in which the PCs will be playing kingmaker - or quite possibly forming their own faction to try to seize control of the city for themselves. 

But that doesn't mean to exclude people interested in a more social playstyle, or a more adventurous playstyle.  There will be rewards handed out for investigating problems, or saving the Widow so and so, but those won't be the entirety of play.  Similarly, there's going to be opportunities and role playing challenges for someone who wants to be the saloon keeper or banker.  I want to encourage everyone interested in playing in an evolving western town to play, whether they know the first thing about Deadlands, or just like a good Western movie!  (or just want to nibble on some cowboys or Native American braves)

Josietta

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Mithlomwen

* Mithlomwen tentatively raises hand.....

I might be interested in giving this a try.  Though I'm not terribly proficient on system games, this one seems as if the clueless could still play too. 

Quote from: Ciosa on February 23, 2013, 07:28:20 PM
(or just want to nibble on some cowboys or Native American braves)

*points up*  Mostly this......

*cough* 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Ciosa

Quote from: Josietta on February 23, 2013, 07:30:16 PM
Who is Flint?  And how did he get in? :P

*looks around for a post from Flint*

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 23, 2013, 07:35:45 PM
* Mithlomwen tentatively raises hand.....

I might be interested in giving this a try.  Though I'm not terribly proficient on system games, this one seems as if the clueless could still play too. 

*points up*  Mostly this......

*cough* 

Yay, Mith!  *dances and hugs*  and yes, I'm avsolutely trying to make this as systemless and mechanically invisible as possible.

*makes pretty cowboys and braves for Mith*

Kuroneko

The phrase is actually "In like Flynn."  >.>
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Phaia

okay okay

I changed it geeezz ya all just take a girl out back and do things do her just cause she messed up a line!!

**slulks off**

Phaia

Ciosa

Quote from: Phaia on February 23, 2013, 09:40:45 PM
okay okay

I changed it geeezz ya all just take a girl out back and do things do her just cause she messed up a line!!

**slulks off**

Phaia
LOL, I always thought it was 'in like flint,' too, to be honest.

*scoops her up and hugs her*

Kuroneko

That's me, Debbie Downer.

*Wanders off to eat worms*

Phaia

Quote from: Kuroneko on February 23, 2013, 09:51:35 PM
That's me, Debbie Downer.

*Wanders off to eat worms*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CBxNb0vmD8&feature=player_detailpage

we all like ya hun so don't go eat worms, fat ones, slimy ones any ones

Phaia

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Ciosa on February 23, 2013, 08:34:57 PM
*makes pretty cowboys and braves for Mith*

*happy bounce* 

Er...I mean......yay for awesome characters! 

*coughs and shiftyeyes* 
Baby, it's all I know,

Ciosa

*puts Kuro on a strict no worms diet*

Quote from: Mithlomwen on February 23, 2013, 10:58:14 PM
*happy bounce* 

Er...I mean......yay for awesome characters! 

*coughs and shiftyeyes* 

*grins and plots wickedness*

So - in addition to sounding interest, does anyone have any questions for me?  Concerns?  'I'm interested, but...' comments/questions?

Kuroneko

Just a note ... Though I'm sure it'll come up in gameplay, I don't think 'braves' is the best term to be using in an OOC thread.  Personally, I'm wincing every time I read it  :-\.

"Braves
This is a word that has been used to denigrate Indian men.  It dehumanizes the Indian male
and equates him to something less than human.  The terms 'buck' and 'doe' were also used
by early european immigrants as a way to patronize Indian men and women.  As you can see,
they also infer that the Indian person is in some way inhuman.  We are men, NOT 'braves'...."

~ John Two Hawks
Lakota Musician, Flute Virtuoso, Author & Orator, founder of nativecircle dot com

Phaia

already have kinda a concept

ever seen the old john wayne movie Rio Bravo. Angie Dickerson played a lady gambler nick named feathers... add in magic 'huskster' and ya kinda have the idea [i may include that she will enteratin certain gentleman of only the best or richest caliber] she also uses a pair of derringers or a pair of fancy English Webley Bulldog 5 shot .450 Adams [or both types]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WebleyBBD.JPG

Phaia

Niferbelle

Hmmm. I think I'm interested too. Will start mulling over a character.

Phaia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw6MFBkZttI

I often listen to David Maracle playing flutes

this is one of my favorites

Phaia

Kuroneko

My favorite is Carlos Nakai, but it's all so beautiful.  I have a native flute and play it often.

Ciosa

Welome, Nif!

Loved the flutes, Phaia.  That should be one of those 'sounds to go to sleep with' alarms. 

I will get working on the character creation portion of the wiki.  My goal is to get a little bit done on the wiki every day, so there's always more information to look forward to.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Kuroneko on February 24, 2013, 12:34:35 AM
My favorite is Carlos Nakai...

LOVE him!  I have a couple of his CDs.  It's amazingly beautiful, and so relaxing. 

Quote from: Ciosa on February 23, 2013, 11:08:24 PM
So - in addition to sounding interest, does anyone have any questions for me?  Concerns?  'I'm interested, but...' comments/questions?

Okay so, what are the particulars about creating a character? 
Baby, it's all I know,