Isle of the Damned - Pirates! Mercenaries! Slaves! - Always Recruiting!

Started by GnothiSeauton, December 14, 2014, 05:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazy Sky

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on January 04, 2015, 12:35:04 PM
Agreed.

I'm quite hesitant when it comes to gunsmjths. I'd need to see a character sheet or see what your plans are for them in terms of how they are personality and history wise and how you're going to write them.  If you do choose a gunsmith character I'd strongly ask that you read up on the established canon with regards to dragon powder and the like.

We are totally fine with blind characters!

And feel free to bring in an older character! Just make sure they'd fit into the story and setting.

I'm going to say no to magical artifacts. I'd prefer magic to be only with humans rather than objects. They could have a lore to the objects, a sort of placebo or con, but I'd prefer to stay away from magical artifacts.

Hmm...
I don't want to cause you any unease Gnothi. I'll say this before I even get a character sheet worked up if you're not happy. I will completely respect that and I will work on the character until you are.

I'm planning to play the character without any twists or turns. He'll consider himself a craftsman and an artisan, probably be quite full of himself as a result and be dedicated to his work. He's coming to the islands because he senses an opportunity to sell his wares and improve his skills still further. I read on the canon, hence the suggestion that he's an armourer rather than a gunsmith. It adds strings to his bow and makes him a bit easier for people to live with. I'll get you a character sheet worked up and we can take it from there. How does that suit you?
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Bibliophilia

I kind of have the beginnings of an idea that might work with this game.

My idea revolves around a former soldier, a woman who was pretending to be a man, in order to command the respect and rank that she felt she deserved.  However, she was found out and had to flee in order to escape retribution from her regiment, as well as possible legal ramifications.  She's on the island now, working as a sell-sword and still pretending to be a man, because...well...she's comfortable in that role, and women don't command as much respect.

Do you think that idea could work?  I realize there would need to be some more work done with it, and it would be difficult to explain how she pulled off the ruse for even enough time to gain training as a soldier.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Bibliophilia on January 04, 2015, 07:02:32 PM

My idea revolves around a former soldier, a woman who was pretending to be a man, in order to command the respect and rank that she felt she deserved.  However, she was found out and had to flee in order to escape retribution from her regiment, as well as possible legal ramifications.  She's on the island now, working as a sell-sword and still pretending to be a man, because...well...she's comfortable in that role, and women don't command as much respect.

Do you think that idea could work?  I realize there would need to be some more work done with it, and it would be difficult to explain how she pulled off the ruse for even enough time to gain training as a soldier.

100 percent yes!

I'm totally on board with that concept.  (It may or may not have been something I thought of myself before going in another route with my lady Pirate Captain)  Sounds like it would be really interesting and awesome.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Bibliophilia

-giggles.-  Oh, good!  I'll start on a sheet.

I might work on one for a male slave, as well, once I finish her up.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Bibliophilia on January 04, 2015, 07:22:39 PM
-giggles.-  Oh, good!  I'll start on a sheet.

I might work on one for a male slave, as well, once I finish her up.

Seeing as there are no male slave characters, I fully support that.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

GnothiSeauton

Seeking New Stories

la dame en noir

I have question!

What would Voodoo classify as for the religion part of my profile? I know that Voodoo on its own is a religion, but I know this world we're playing in is a little different.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: la dame en noir on January 04, 2015, 09:25:59 PM
I have question!

What would Voodoo classify as for the religion part of my profile? I know that Voodoo on its own is a religion, but I know this world we're playing in is a little different.

There's no established religion in the world that would match up perfectly with it.  You could recreate it, under a different name, but similar beliefs, as it's own religion.

Seeking New Stories

Aiden

Quote from: Bibliophilia on January 04, 2015, 07:02:32 PM

Euffigos is more progressive!

Redwater has two female first mates, well had, one of them stepped out of the game.

I think a few crews need to fill in members. I can imagine the big "I'm a woman" reveal to Redwater and he would just perk a brow and wonder what the big deal was.  XD

BeeJay

I'm interested, but I have to admit, the scale is daunting. Any advice for someone unfamiliar with larger group sandbox games? I've only ever done games with somewhat strict moderation.
O/O

Batman4560

Go your own pace, the best part about these larger games are that you can tell your own story. So try to find others who seem fun to write with and set something up with them.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: BeeJay on January 05, 2015, 08:24:55 PM
I'm interested, but I have to admit, the scale is daunting. Any advice for someone unfamiliar with larger group sandbox games? I've only ever done games with somewhat strict moderation.

I'm going to hit you up with a longer response in a bit with various ways to jump in. Away from the comp at the moment.

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

Okay, so, there's a few things to keep in mind, and a few tips on how to get started.  It might seem really daunting and intimidating, given the number of writers and the sheer scope of things, but it's really not that bad!

With the issue of time, the In Character Dates are stretched to three days.  I know some prefer to keep everyone together on the same day, but with a three day window, this is to keep people active and not, say, restrained by having to wait for a GM Post or another writer.  You don't have to go in order with regards to the dates, but it's strongly advised to sort of keep track of everything and not get too far ahead of yourself.

What I usually do, when getting into a group game, and it's something I've advised others who are new to it, is to begin by writing for yourself.  Throw up an introduction post to your character somewhere, and use it as a sort of advertisement.  Show who they are and what they are, their personality, a little preview of them.  You can post it, and take the link to that post, and put it in, say the OOC or the Classified Thread, and say "Hey, this is my character.  Look how awesome they are.  Anyone want to write with me?"  It might not be instantaneous, but it works, from past experiences.  You might have to do a couple of posts, but it can definitely be worth it.

And don't be afraid to sort of check in with other writers and reach out to them to see if a particular character of theirs might be interested in working out a scene or shared history.  There's a few GM NPCs as well that are around, and can be used to work in scenes or get stuff going.  There's one, a tavern owner, who is sort of a middleman who can provide jobs and connect individuals if needed. 

We actually have a great collection of writers who are really easy going and are fun to work with.  It's not too difficult, especially now that the holidays are over, to try and find someone to write with.

When it comes to having to read up on past posts (which, I wouldn't recommend trying to read them all, since we're approaching 300 IC Posts), I'd stick to GM Events and a few recent ones, just to get an idea and feel of what's going on at the present and what might have people talking. 

All of the information links, including the OOC, Game Information (and character sheets), and Classified Threads are all listed up in the very top of this thread. 

Seeking New Stories

consortium11

Quote from: BeeJay on January 05, 2015, 08:24:55 PM

Communication and focus.

First thing to note; the scale is as large as you want it to be. Take my character (Agnar) for example. Right now I'm directly interacting with one of BP's characters and Josi's character (through an NPC) while also keeping an eye on one of Gnothi's characters who Agnar's set up to interact with later. And that's all I have to focus on. I also read the other stuff but I don't strictly have to... at most I have the glance over the tags to see if my character appears.

So whenever things feel overwhelming, focus on what you need to.

Communication is always important in games but never more so than in stories like this. Be it in the OOC thread, the plotting thread or by PM the easiest way to avoid feeling left out is to talk to others; we all want to interact our characters with others (it's why we're here after all) and while circumstances may not always mean we're able to we'll generally be happy to discuss it. Whether you want to build an existing relationship with another character, work out how you're going to be introduced or try to set up something for the future communication is the key; the Agnar/Cerys scene and relationship came about from little more than a few posts in the OOC thread when it wasn't something I'd originally foreseen happening. I like to think we're a friendly bunch (OOC at least...) and we'll generally be happy to help.

So whenever you're wondering what to do next, reach out and someone will likely help you.

BeeJay

O/O

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: BeeJay on January 05, 2015, 10:04:52 PM
Thanks a lot, Gnothi and consortium. That's really helpful.

Of course!  If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Seeking New Stories

Lady Lunarius

LaLu's updated A/A's Updated
LaLu's Delicious treats!
LaLu's O.O's/Current Interests Updated 3-11-23
I am currently NOT open for a few new RP's

CurvyKitten

I blame Aiden for this....LOLZ totally checking this one out! Will see what my mind can come up with. :)

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: CurvyKitten on January 26, 2015, 12:44:41 AM
I blame Aiden for this....LOLZ totally checking this one out! Will see what my mind can come up with. :)

Excellent!

If you have any questions, or want some ideas for characters, feel free to PM me!

Seeking New Stories

Mister Ugly

My very first post as a member and I choose to here! Lucky you guys right!
This does look interesting let me read over things more and even work up a profile etc and I may join up

MU
"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits"
Albert Einstein

What makes the ugly feel pretty ...

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 26, 2015, 08:56:33 AM
This does look interesting let me read over things more and even work up a profile etc and I may join up

MU

Welcome to E! :) I look forward to seeing you around the boards and especially in the game. ^.^
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

GnothiSeauton

Quote from: Mister Ugly on January 26, 2015, 08:56:33 AM

MU

Yay! 

Welcome to E! 

If you have any questions or the like with this story, please don't hesitate to PM me!

Seeking New Stories

GnothiSeauton

Still looking for crew for the Raven!

Quote from: GnothiSeauton on December 17, 2014, 04:43:09 PM

Tired of a life of slavery?  Unwilling to bow before Man and Woman alike?  Come aboard The Raven.

This is a crew comprised mostly of former slaves and those who wish to seek a life free from oppression and suppression, a great deal of whom are women.  Originally a slave ship, a slave revolt, led by Lora Langstor overcame the brutal slavers and turned the ship into their own kingdom upon the seas.  Largely targeting slave ships and merchants, the Raven has a bit of a reputation as being known as liberators.  Hardly ever do they turn away those wishing employ or passage.

Currently seeking any and all crew.  Feel free to hit me up if you'd like to plot out a character together!  While this is a ship that is nearly all women, there is some space available for male crew members.

Or potential love interests...

Just sayin'...

Seeking New Stories