Pacific Rim - Jaeger Rising [Recruitment Thread]

Started by evangel, July 31, 2013, 11:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putting it in a quote makes it impossible for us to get the BBCode, silly! :P

Code Name: Immaculate Shogun
Launch Date: Whenever it does, somebody's getting laid.
Classification: Mark Zero (Experimental)
Country of Origin: Independent
Height: 70 Meters
Weight: 1900 Tons

Appearance:
The Sleeping Giant

Equipment:
ARX-16 Super Assault Rifle - Scarce more than a super-sized standard slugthrower, this was the first Jaeger weapon developed, and by far the most primitive. It has never seen action, being quickly supplanted by advanced anti-kaiju energy weapons, missiles, and other gear.

Jesta Shield - A huge slab of titanium, steel, polymers, plastics, and ceramic that doubles as a giant heatsink for both the Immaculate Shogun and any blasts that happen to contact it.

Vulcan Cannons - mounted in the head, these provide point defense against projectiles and can serve as a backup weapon in close quarters. Originally designed as anti-personnel.

Schneider Combat Vibroknives: Stored in compartments in the IS's calves, these can vibrate with such intensity that even the thickest kaiju hide will be challenged to hold against their edge. They're still quite capable of stabbing even if power is lost.

evangel

I knew I forgot to do something. BE RIGHT BACK.

SargentToughie

I also feel like I should bring up the fact that the character concept I have in my mind right now could be rather difficult for most people to get along with. As far as combat goes, she's going to be about 30% actual fighter, and 70% performer. She'll know how to throw down when it comes to it, but for the most part, when she and her partner are taking on a Kaiju, it's more of a show then it is a struggle in the name of life and death, akin to a professional wrestling match.

I'm not going to ruin anybody's experience if they want to make a more serious and grounded pairing with my blatantly over the top, attention seeking, egotistical as fuck, snooty character.

Just something to keep in mind, before going too far down this line of thought.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Ember Star

mine is probably gonna end up threatening her with a knife...
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Question Mark

Quote from: SargentToughie on August 01, 2013, 11:32:35 PM
I also feel like I should bring up the fact that the character concept I have in my mind right now could be rather difficult for most people to get along with. As far as combat goes, she's going to be about 30% actual fighter, and 70% performer. She'll know how to throw down when it comes to it, but for the most part, when she and her partner are taking on a Kaiju, it's more of a show then it is a struggle in the name of life and death, akin to a professional wrestling match.

I'm not going to ruin anybody's experience if they want to make a more serious and grounded pairing with my blatantly over the top, attention seeking, egotistical as fuck, snooty character.

Just something to keep in mind, before going too far down this line of thought.

Well, someone like that would never be allowed near a Jaeger, let alone allowed to pilot one.  Only the most focused, disciplined, and talented individuals would become Rangers.  They're essentially astronauts, if modern astronauts had to fight aliens in addition to riding around on huge-ass rockets and doing SPACE SCIENCE while being all-around badasses.  Point is, someone who may who's even at a slight risk for botching the job wouldn't be in a Jaeger.  (i.e. Mako Mori)  If you want to run with that angle, however, I suggest making it a subtle thing.  Maybe one time she could have finished off the Kaiju but instead opted to taunt it.  When questioned during debriefing, she said she didn't think she could kill it yet, or she was trying to incite it into vulnerability.  Or maybe she has a penchant for awesome over-the-top finishing moves, and she's only kept on because of the public support she receives for her show-boating.

SargentToughie

Quote from: Question Mark on August 01, 2013, 11:47:51 PM
Well, someone like that would never be allowed near a Jaeger, let alone allowed to pilot one.  Only the most focused, disciplined, and talented individuals would become Rangers.  They're essentially astronauts, if modern astronauts had to fight aliens in addition to riding around on huge-ass rockets and doing SPACE SCIENCE while being all-around badasses.  Point is, someone who may who's even at a slight risk for botching the job wouldn't be in a Jaeger.  (i.e. Mako Mori)  If you want to run with that angle, however, I suggest making it a subtle thing.  Maybe one time she could have finished off the Kaiju but instead opted to taunt it.  When questioned during debriefing, she said she didn't think she could kill it yet, or she was trying to incite it into vulnerability.  Or maybe she has a penchant for awesome over-the-top finishing moves, and she's only kept on because of the public support she receives for her show-boating.

I thought that this RP was taking place during the Jaeger's high horse mode, where pilots are more akin to rock stars then they are actual warriors. As such, I was just taking it to it's natural extreme by having all the fame and glory go to my character's head before the RP begins.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

evangel

They are treated like rock stars. But they have to be pro warriors first. With results come the glory.  ;)

That said, physical achievements alone does not necessarily secure one's spot as a Jaeger pilot. A more qualified pilot may be passed over in her favor if she drifts quite well with someone. Ultimately though, these are trillion dollar machines who could fund entire armies with their construction budget. The people put in them have to be top-tier. Otherwise we get Knifehead vs Gipsy all over again.

Question Mark

Quote from: SargentToughie on August 01, 2013, 11:53:41 PM
I thought that this RP was taking place during the Jaeger's high horse mode, where pilots are more akin to rock stars then they are actual warriors. As such, I was just taking it to it's natural extreme by having all the fame and glory go to my character's head before the RP begins.

That's true, but at it's heart, it's still a paramilitary organization, and at the end of the day, those rock stars are still piloting multi-billion dollar Jaegers.  Although the Rangers can go hog-wild off duty and participate in as many talk shows and candid interviews as they please, I imagine the PPDC keeps them on a tight leash when they're in the cockpit.

SargentToughie

Yeah, fair enough. I'm just trying to mix things up a little bit, and do something different even by my own standards. I don't typically do characters who are initially unlikable and with very blatant and clear flaws, so I figured that this would be a good testing ground since the premise kinda works for it.

I can come up with a more standard character concept if we don't want to go too over the top with it. She'd still know how to put up a hell of a fight, obviously, it's just that she's WAY too much of a showboat about it.
Ons and offs

Question Mark

Quote from: SargentToughie on August 01, 2013, 11:59:42 PM
Yeah, fair enough. I'm just trying to mix things up a little bit, and do something different even by my own standards. I don't typically do characters who are initially unlikable and with very blatant and clear flaws, so I figured that this would be a good testing ground since the premise kinda works for it.

I can come up with a more standard character concept if we don't want to go too over the top with it. She'd still know how to put up a hell of a fight, obviously, it's just that she's WAY too much of a showboat about it.

Hey, don't let me tell you what you can and cannot do.  I'm just pointing out that you need to consider the implications such a character would have on the story, and that she wouldn't be able to pull off stunts all the time with no recompense.

Revenent

Guys...literally none of this is real. If he wants to have a character who's good in the public eye and good at taking down Kaiju, I think we can bend the laws of this fictional universe a little for the sake of not having all of our characters be the same person. It's not like the Kaiju were even considered a huge threat before Knifehead showed up and made them dangerous again.

It's better to let someone have fun than to bog them down with the judgments of imaginary people.

Evil Tim

"You have called the Reaper..."

"And He has answered."

Code Name: Grave Digger

Launch Date: 2018

Classification: Mark III

Status: Active, fresh off the line, complete with that new Jaeger smell.

Country of Origin: United States

Height: 80 meters

Weight: 2000 tons

Appearance: Grave Digger's body is completely black, except for the head.  The head is bleached white, in the design of a skull.  When the head is attached to the body and powered on, an eerie green light emanates from the eyes and around the teeth of the skull head.

Equipment: The Chain Scythe- A two part weapon that is housed in the arms of Grave Digger.  The left arm houses three chains that shoot out with enough force to bury deep into the hide and flesh of a Kaiju.  The right arm houses a curved scythe like blade, capable of decapitating a Kaiju with a single slice.  Ideally the chains are used to draw the Kaiju in close to be finished off with the scythe, but the unpredictable nature of the Kaijus makes relying on this maneuver dangerous.  Additionally the chains can be used similar to a cat-of-nine-tails whip, and at close range they are sufficient by themselves to kill a Kaiju.

Primarch

I'm with evangel & Question Mark on this one. While I know some people like to make things a bit silly in RP, I prefer the approach of 'serious fun.' Taking the setting seriously makes for overall more fun RP for me. I'm afraid I completely disagree with Revenent. I'm pretty sure we can make Rangers that are authentic to the setting without them being the same person.

Revenent

Why does "different" have to mean "silly"? If they let the Australian guy in the movie pilot a Jaeger, why would this girl be any different?

Primarch

Well in the instance where a character is piloting a multi-billion dollar piece of state-of-the-art hardware responsible for stopping a threat that could endanger entire cities or more and that pilot is '70% performer' and makes the whole thing more 'akin to a professional wrestling match' I'd say its a bit silly. I'm not sure which Australian guy you're talking about but I'd assume its one of the Hansen's and they were both interested in getting the job done as well as possible. 

He was personally hot headed, yeah, but he was still a hell of a pilot. None of them were showboaters.

Primarch

Eitherway Toughie has already decided to go with a different character concept.

SargentToughie

Yup. I was exaggerating a bit to accentuate the negative of my character, but if everybody absolutely hates the concept (which they do), then I'll just change.
Ons and offs

Question Mark

Quote from: SargentToughie on August 02, 2013, 09:41:15 AM
Yup. I was exaggerating a bit to accentuate the negative of my character, but if everybody absolutely hates the concept (which they do), then I'll just change.

Dude, you're exaggerating.  Nobody hates the concept, we're just saying you need to take into account the universe the character exists in.  You can still have your showboater and performer, she just can't be as obvious about it as say, a professional wrestler.

No one's denying your character.  Just keep being creative and original.

SargentToughie

Well with that in mind, I have a pretty decent idea for how I can make it work in a rather unique, (admittedly somewhat shoehorned) way. You guys still get your believable universe with it, and I still get my overly arrogant showboat, when the time comes for it, even though it won't happen right off the bat. You'll see what I'm talking about later today once I make/submit the character sheet.

Sorry if my last post came off as rude, by the way. I just read the last several posts as people rejecting the idea, though it was probably 70% (har har) my fault for not portraying what I meant properly.
Ons and offs

evangel

I'm looking forward to it.  ;D Question Mark, would you have any issues teaming up with Sargent?

Also, I won't be around most of today or tomorrow. I'll be back full force Sunday!

Vaulera

See, I think the way a character like that should be presented would be, that inside the Jaeger, they're serious about getting the job done, but inside the base or out in the public, they're every bit as arrogant and brash as a rockstar. You could still play a cocky angle before the battle, you know, the protagonist did that right before he fought knifehead (admittedly not to a great success. Your character would just be in the habit of always bringing up things she'd done before and using hyperbole (even though most of these are televised once they reach cities.)

I feel silly. Here I was thinking mini kaiju was an addition to the setting... I forgot about the baby somehow. *laughs*

Revenent

Quote from: Karma on August 02, 2013, 03:44:30 PM
I feel silly. Here I was thinking mini kaiju was an addition to the setting... I forgot about the baby somehow. *laughs*

That's actually the inspiration behind the kaiju I wanted to play. It would be a huge insect or arachnid (designed for water, of course) that would be carrying a whole bunch of babies around with it that could swarm the city.

Question Mark

Quote from: evangel on August 02, 2013, 12:30:12 PM
I'm looking forward to it.  ;D Question Mark, would you have any issues teaming up with Sargent?

Also, I won't be around most of today or tomorrow. I'll be back full force Sunday!

Actually, Karma and I just tied our characters together last night.  Bo's going to be Athena's coworker and test pilot, it seems.