Interest check - Black Crusade (40k)

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2011, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terian

Ironwolf85

i am still open to any background advice you guys are willing to give me for coming up with kassad, which chapter he should be from and so on.
I am going to be working untill thursday, and have dialup.
so i will get on high speed at the locla libary thursday and download the book
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

NotoriusBEN

im using the point allocation system, but I'd assume Dice Bot.

point allocation system
CSM base stats start at 30  add 100 points between all characteristics.  (Gets 500xp to spend on additional traits, skills, characteristic boosts)
Human base stats start at 25  add 100 points between all characteristics. (Gets 1000xp to spend on additional traits, skills, characteristic boosts)

frost rose

I just stumbled upon this thread today, and reading it I am curious if you're still accepting new people? I have fond memories of the Dark Heresy game I played, and have a soft spot for the setting, even if the RPGs have skipped my favourite bits.

Granted, I'm a little hesitant to ask, since I currently don't have access to the BC books, just the DH ones, and I probably won't get my hands on the corebook for a little while yet. (Until I can steal it from a friend, probably.) Would that be a huge problem, assuming you're still even accepting interested peoples?
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on September 20, 2011, 12:33:58 AM
i am still open to any background advice you guys are willing to give me for coming up with kassad, which chapter he should be from and so on.

A lot of chapters have librarians, not as many have the Black Templars hate for all things psychic. I seem to recall the Blood Ravens are supposed to have a lot of librarians, so you could argue for higher than normal psychic potential there.

Alternately, a chapter like the Exorcists might provide a good background for why he turned.

There's a big list of chapters here

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters

The Relictors might be another good one to use

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Relictors
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

ChaoticSky

To elaborate on HH's post;

Generally speaking most chapters have librarians, though some are more welcome than others, in some, they are positively revered. A minority of them eschew librarians for reasons of faith or purity, as psykers are both technically a form of mutation and heretical. To those chapters that do not utilize Librarians, recruits are often heavily screened for psychic talent, in a normal chapter this earmarks them for future training or observation in the librarium, while among the puritans it is grounds for disqualification, much like gross physical mutation is for other chapters. But psychic talent is notoriously hard to screen for, and no matter how invasive you get, some will always slip past the net, Sororitas have a similar problem.

A puritan marine who discovers his own awakening psychic power would likely try to suppress it, throw themselves into prayer and meditation, perhaps fear that they have been tainted somehow, or that the God Emperor has abandoned them. Once the secret got out, and it would eventually, whether the marine presented himself or got discovered, he would face the recrimination of his battle brothers, whatever ties of fellowship he holds to his brothers and chapter would be severed by their hatred, which often falls all the harder on those who 'deceived' them into pretending to be their brother. from this point there are many possibilities, varying widely depending on the temperaments of the marine, his superiors, and the chaplains, as well as his battle record, honours, and so forth. Execution (willing or enforced) is likely among the most severe puritians, possibly including the destruction of the geneseed, as far as i know, the Exorcists would likely resort to this. Exile is also possible, probably with a directive to redeem themselves by dying gloriously somewhere. Its plausible they may even been permanently seconded to the Deathwatch, or less likely, to another chapter who is more pro-psyker.

Space Marines place much stock in loyalty and brotherhood, and for a marine who suddenly finds himself scorned and exiled, or wanted dead, by his brothers, its not hard to see how bitterness and rage at the injustice of it could lead them to chaos.

Wargtass

You have probably noticed that when it comes to forums I am like a U-boat. I only resurface every so often unless I have committed myself to an RP.

Everything is open so far, as I have said I will review all applicants before we start making characters and then pick those that I deem fit for the campaign. I'll set September 30 as the deadline, after that we'll start preparing the characters.
O/O

HairyHeretic

On the off chance anyone is after it, the Limited Edition is now on sale

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=185&esem=2

Nice, but I can't really justify spending $150, plus shipping.

My FLGS has the standard copy in though, so I should hopefully have mine this weekend. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Are there still any slots open for this one?  I'd be happy to sub in for any role that needs to be filled, or even take an assistant GM role if it's needed.  (I've been wanting to run Black Crusade since it came out, though it's fun enough to use to make Rogue Trader villains)
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Ironwolf85

now I await, and try and decipher what I want to do with my character exactly, I don't usually make casters.
but looking at the cover, totally worth the money, I think I can come up with a better sorcerer than I'd planned.
I am looking it over now.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 23, 2011, 12:18:09 PM
On the off chance anyone is after it, the Limited Edition is now on sale

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=185&esem=2

Nice, but I can't really justify spending $150, plus shipping.

My FLGS has the standard copy in though, so I should hopefully have mine this weekend. :)
Oh my Gods. *drools all over the cover* Waaaaaaaaaaaaaant.

*ahem*
>_>
<_<
*starts counting pennies*

and Great, you might start by reading the post one above yours :P
QuoteEverything is open so far, as I have said I will review all applicants before we start making characters and then pick those that I deem fit for the campaign. I'll set September 30 as the deadline, after that we'll start preparing the characters.

HairyHeretic

A mate of mine checked on the shipping, and it came in over $220. As much as I'd like one, that's just too rich for my blood.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2011, 02:42:40 AM
A mate of mine checked on the shipping, and it came in over $220. As much as I'd like one, that's just too rich for my blood.
Ah, too bad, 150$ is severely pushing it for me, im a sucker for shiney, limited edition objects, but even i wouldnt pay over 200$.

*edit; i looked it up and its 180$ for me, in canada, where does your friend live?  :o

HairyHeretic

We're both in Ireland. Shipping something as heavy as that is going to be would not be fun. My friend has bought the other LEs though (DH and RT, and I think DW).

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2011, 04:28:12 PM
We're both in Ireland. Shipping something as heavy as that is going to be would not be fun. My friend has bought the other LEs though (DH and RT, and I think DW).
Ah, Awsomeland. Nice place.

Was the RT CE made of pure gold (or look like it)? if not, then it should have been! ;D

HairyHeretic

Haven't seen it myself. I only ever tried to get the original Black Library LE of Dark Heresy, and missed out by literally seconds on it. I did get an autographed regular edition in compensation though, so that's still fairly cool :)

And I got my own copy of Black Crusade this evening, so shall be enjoying that for a while :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 24, 2011, 07:25:30 PM
Haven't seen it myself. I only ever tried to get the original Black Library LE of Dark Heresy, and missed out by literally seconds on it. I did get an autographed regular edition in compensation though, so that's still fairly cool :)

And I got my own copy of Black Crusade this evening, so shall be enjoying that for a while :)
lucky, im still debating if i want to buy the LE or not.

The Great Triangle

Okay, well, here's what I've got for a character concept:

Doktor Crowley Ripper

Archtype: Heretek
Pride: Beauty
Disgrace: Greed

Background: Doktor Ripper was born on the forge world of Vindalex in the Gothic sector, where he excelled in his studies and attracted the attention of the Adeptus Mechanicus.  He took quickly to the study of the holy arts of the Omnissiah, and attained priesthood at a relatively early age, cloistering himself to better study the divine mysteries.  Unfortunately, the thrill of discovery proved too much for him, and he committed dire heresy by designing a new pattern of auspex equipment, which was both smaller and more powerful than the orthodox equipment.  Much of his life after his heresy was scrubbed from his mind by the inquisition, but he does remember getting married to a beautiful woman, and waiting in a reclaimation facility to be turned into a servitor.

Ripper ended up as the personal servitor to a Magos, along with his wife, until the 12th black crusade came to their world.  As the sky filled with fire and pain, an unholy champion's personal weapon fell from the sky and cut into Ripper's body, tearing apart the mechanisms which had crippled him, and somehow tearing into his very soul to set him free.  Ripper drew the blade into his hand, and it called him master, demanding that he rise up and destroy the Magos who had held him prisoner, and the very Imperial system that had ruined him for the crime of innovation.  He called the unholy weapon "Mein Fuhrer", and it became his most treasured and trusted companion.  Realizing the power of of chaos was just as beautiful as any work of the Omnissiah Doktor Ripper had ever laid eyes upon, and he destroyed the Magos with glee, ruining the defensive measures of the planet and allowing Chaos to utterly dominate.  After attaining his freedom, Ripper attempted to free his wife, as he had been freed, but found that her conversion was too extensive to reform without killing her. 

Undeterred by the fact that only he had been freed, Doktor Ripper was swept up into the twelth black crusade, repairing the engines of Chaos and learning all he could of the forbidden weapons of the legion, even once catching sight of the flagship of Abaddon the Despoiler himself as he landed on the planet.  Later in the campaign, much of the lower half of Ripper's body was ruined by a landmine, and he replaced it with a very strong cybernetic support armiture, which allowed him armor and a sort of mobility, even at the price of his more normal functions.  The time Ripper spent immersed in his studies left him unprepared for the coming of the blackstone fortresses, and the vast naval battles which marked the latter half of the 12th black crusade, as Ripper thrust himself into the unfamiliar territory.  Unexpectedly, his ship was utterly destroyed and consumed by the warp, pulling him directly into the mercy of the Gods.  Unfortunately, Mein Fuhrer had other plans, and arranged for him to be deposited directly into the Screaming Abyss, so that he could be killed in as painful and horrible a way as possible... 

Appearance: Doktor Ripper is highly uncertain of his age, though he appears to be over eighty years old, and not dealing with it well.  His experimental auspex sensor sits on his face like a third eye, changing colors with his mood and the things he detects.  Most of the time, Doktor Ripper travels in a grease colored armored cybernetic armature, a sort of wheelchair which supports his body and helps power his implants, including his mechadendrite, with which he often weilds Mein Fuhrer.  Mein Fuhrer itself is a short sword made from a frictionless material, which can never seem to decide which color it wants to be, simply shifting about in impossible, hypnotic patterns.  Doktor Ripper is usually accompanied by his companion Lucy Ripper, who he is fairly certain is his wife.  She resembles a standard utility servitor, but manufactured from a striking blond woman.  She isn't useful for very much, but Ripper has a deep conviction that she'll eventually be repaired into something at least resembling who she once was.

Characteristics:  (points spent in parenthesis)

WS: 40 (15)  BS: 30 (5) S: 41 (+10) (16) Ag: 35 (10) T: 33 (8) Int: 50 (20) WP: 27 (6) Per: 36 (11) Fel: 34 (9) Infamy: 25  Wounds: 15    Armor: 7 all    Corruption: 4   XP: 50

Skills: Awareness, Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech, War, Imperium), Forbidden Lore (Archeotech), Linguistics (Low Gothic), Logic, Parry, Scholastic Lore (Astromancy), Trade (Armorer), Tech-Use +10

Talents: Die Hard, Lesser Minion of Chaos (Servitor), Technical Knock, Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Shock, Power), Mechadendrite Training (Utility), The Quick and the Dead, Total Recall, Weapon-Tech

Gear: Best Craftsmanship Lascarbine, Power Axe (El Presidente), Cursed Frozen Shard (Mein Fuhrer), Unholy Ungents, Combi-Tool, Light Power Armor (With vox link,magnetized boot soles, and sustainable power source)

Cybernetics: Utility Mechadendrite, Good Quality Cybernetic Legs, Good Quality Embedded Auspex, Maglev Coils,

Advances Purchased: Exotic Weapon Training (Frozen Shard) 500, Awareness 200, Cursed Heirloom (Mein Fuhrer) 250

Attacks:

Lascarbine (max setting): Range 75m, RoF S/2/-, Dam 1d10+5, Pen 2, Clip 15, Rld Half
Mein Fuhrer: 1d10+11 damage, penetration 8; balanced, felling 3
   Curse: When spending infamy points for the first time each session, roll 1d10- on a result of 9, the infamy point is spent with no effect.  After each scene in which Mein Fuhrer is used, make a toughness test or suffer 1 point of damage with no reduction for toughness or armor.  Mein Fuhrer is trying to kill its bearer, and subtly brings misfortune to its owner.
El Presidente: 1d10+12 Damage, Penetration 6; Power Field, Unbalanced

Minion: Lucy Ripper

WS: 10 BS: 01 S: 30 Ag: 20 T: 20 Int: 05 WP: 05 Per: 08 Fel: 01
Wounds: 6   Loyalty: 44  Armor: 5 all
Skills: Intimidate, Linguistics (Low Gothic), Parry, Security, Trade (Scrimshawer)
Talents: Frenzy, Mimic, Resistance (Psychic), Sound Constitution x2
Traits: Auto-Stabilized, Machine, Sturdy 
Equipment: Flak Armor, Scavenged Blade Tines
Scavenged Blade Tines: 1d5+5 damage, penetration 2; unbalanced

Ons and Offs

HairyHeretic

Two points. I think the GM is just requesting concepts rather than full characters at this point.

Second, the name of his sword ... not really 40k, is it? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Well, if you've got a better name suggestion, I don't mind.  I think the name is 40k because it's sort of german and makes a coy literary in joke, which seems to fit in with names like Inquisitor Karamozov.

Making the full character just makes it easier for me to make a concept, because I find it easier to create the concept and character at the same time, so the two will fit together better. 

Ons and Offs

frost rose

I'm not quite sure if that is something I would call a coy literary in joke. That would be something more along the lines of a character Doctor Faustus wielding the axe Gretchensfrage, and the sword Des Pudels Kern.

Also, much envy towards all of you with books. I still haven't managed to get myself a copy. T.T At least I have a concept submitted—perhaps mercy will be taken.
There was a SIGNATURE here.

It's gone now.

HairyHeretic

Did you read the GMs proposed idea? I'm not quite sure your heretek fits, unless he replaced one of the Marines.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Great Triangle

Since the Heretek comes in later, I figured he would logically be from somewhere else, and end up showing up, perhaps to introduce/guide the PCs to the Chaos space marines.  That's why, thematically, he was somewhat designed to work alongside chaos space marines, to reflect a sort of halfway point between the humans and the marines. 

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 26, 2011, 07:15:16 PM
Since the Heretek comes in later, I figured he would logically be from somewhere else, and end up showing up, perhaps to introduce/guide the PCs to the Chaos space marines.  That's why, thematically, he was somewhat designed to work alongside chaos space marines, to reflect a sort of halfway point between the humans and the marines.
But thats not how the story is going to go, the marines and heretics meeting is already outlined and occurs well before the heretek joins the group (which happens when the heretic+CSM party leaves the planet, as i understand it anyway)

HairyHeretic

I suspect we'll want GM input here, as all we'd be doing is guessing.

Cattle die, kinsmen die