News:

Main Menu

Who was the ....

Started by DarkAngel, August 01, 2009, 11:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

First rapper that came out , White and Black Men??

I have this debate I say Beasty boys was one of the first but there are more

Who knows this answer??

Oniya

I think Run DMC predate(s?) the Beastie Boys.  I always love showing their cover/collab of 'Walk This Way' to people that say they hate rap.  (Not that I like the 'gangsta' stuff, I just like messing with people's brains.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarkAngel

Nice, Well that takes this debate to a end lol

Mnemaxa

You are incorrect. 

The first recoded use of rap material was by Blondie, in the song "Rapture".

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

DarkAngel

Really .... MMM now I got to go find out

GolGol

Isn't "Grand master Flash and the Furious Five" the first?
My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Will

Rapture was released before Grandmaster Flash's first album, but it was more of a gimmick thing for Blondie anyway.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Paradox

The first rap group to ever make it onto the top 40 was the sugarhill gang with that "Rapper's Delight", and they've been around since '75.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Oniya

I was pretty sure that Run DMC wasn't 'the first' (although it's hard to really define 'first' sometimes), but I was also pretty sure they predated the Beastie Boys.

It does pose an interesting question, though.  Rap undoubtedly owes quite a bit to the 'speak-singing' of the late 60's and early 70's.  Some of Zappa's stuff is more spoken rhyme than 'singing' (forgive me, the local Classic Rock station played something about Montana and dental floss last night.)  Dylan's even a little closer to speaking than singing.  Is there something that marks a composition as 'rap' that 'beat poetry' doesn't have?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DarkAngel

Well you can say speak singing is came along way , Considering as time grew it changed...

consortium11

Griots predate everyone else mentioned by a few centuries and by all accounts what they did was rapping.