rude 'n' ridiculous rants + polite but painfully-slow prattle with passers-by

Started by rick957, June 23, 2012, 08:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick957

"I don't accept the concept of charity as it applies to modern society. I don't give money to people for shit like that. I help people who need and deserve it when I am offered the chance. Again, this falls into the area of what I do versus what I believe, and again, it's because of modern society. I would be more charitable in an ideal world, but since we live in our crap society, it's not worth it. Helping people 'get by' in a shit society, that's just not enough for me, and if I can't do more than that, I'm just going to focus on making the lives of myself and those close to me better."

You got a cynical streak, my friend.  :)  That's okay though, you sound like you got your head on straight ... most of the time.  ;)

I got a cynical streak a mile wide ... and my head falls clean off my head sometimes!

Cool, the Who's out there now.

I'm hugely appreciative you stopped in for a chat, Ryu, because I would've stopped this silly experiment otherwise, but I do wish somebody would pop by and talk some music with me.  Wishful thinking I guess.  Music isn't a big thing for you, right, Ryu?  Nothing wrong with that of course.  Different strokes!

The concert's been mediocre so far.  Nowhere near enough great moments yet.  Wonder why that is.  Sometimes these charity fests are just an embarrassment; sometimes they're revelatory and brilliant.  Usually more the former.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I don't care as much whether or not I'm being 'offensive' a lot of the time. If honesty offends people, I'd rather just get it out of the way and stop talking to those people as soon as possible. I only hold back when I think I have something to lose, and sadly, sometimes I forget that I shouldn't care what I have to lose if it means I can't be myself."

"Notably, there are some times when it just isn't worth the hassle, but I've tried really hard not to offend friends, and looking back on it, I wish I had just gone ahead and offended them. I lost my childhood best friend when I said some shit about his girlfriend, and the only thing I regret is not just saying them to his face and telling him that he can fuck himself if I have to like his girlfriend to be friends with him, especially since his girlfriend was a giant bitch. A similar issue has come up with a lot of my old friends, because I realize that I had a nostalgic love for them that kept me from calling them out on shit."

"Most people think I'm just a dick, because I'm honest, and that I hate people who aren't like me. You are proof that's just not true. I don't, at all, accept or agree with your religious beliefs or much of your moral code, but I think you're a generally good guy. You are respectful of me, and you're willing to listen to me talk all kinds of shit about some of your beliefs. A mature human being is willing to listen and accept those things and get past them, and that's important to me, more than whether or not you agree with me."

"As for music, I'm a big music guy, but I'm more into the music than who's singing it or whatever. I don't care for concerts, because music's main function, for me, is to make other things better. Plus, I'm not at all into Springsteen, The Who, or pretty much anything people would label 'Classic Rock'. As far as I'm concerned, 'The Beatles' are great songwriters, but they are mediocre performers. I love covers of their songs, but the only song I really like when they do it, is 'Hey Jude'."

"Alicia Keys... I dunno, she bores me. Her music is... I dunno, it doesn't make me feel anything. She's a good performer, but I just don't care."

"I like all sorts of stuff, but most of the bands you talk about, and the way you talk about music, doesn't interest me. I don't care if Pop is cookie cutter or not, I often like covers more than the originals, and I don't care about 'the classics'. I equally think Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are total shite, and can't stand most rappers (but that's hardly a rule, I like Eminem, and I think BoB is talented, he just needs someone else to write his lyrics)."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

rick957

The Who is the first band in the concert who had the good sense to break out all their biggest crowdpleasing hits.  Why on earth didn't all the bands do that?  Springsteen's opener was a total snore because no one knew most of what he played.  I'm a fan of his and he played at least one song I've never heard, so the crowd there was probably totally lost.

Of course poor Bruce hasn't sold a record to the general public (non-music nerds) since, like, 1989 or something.

Oh, not that I figure anybody's gonna take the bait, but if anybody stops in and wants to post and chat about anything, please do!  I'm watching this concert 121212 thing and about to break out the vodka in order to make it more interesting ....

Wonder why the Stones played so little while the Who are doing a more-full set.  Pity.

Wow Ryu you type waaay faster than me!  This is why I can't handle IM stuff; takes me forever to make sentences.

Wow I wish I had Roger Daltrey's abs.  That's completely bizarre, is what that is.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I used to chat RP, and I'm actually posting in an RP and putting off chores because people keep responding and I feel a need to promptly reply."

"But yeah, I think and type very quickly."

rick957

121212 concert, blogging during it, while watching it.  Visitor comments about anything are welcome!  You don't even have to talk about the show!

hehehehe I wonder how many TV stations who are broadcasting this concert managed to bleep out Pete Townsend's "F-bomb".  That guy's completely insane and something of a jerk and of course a genius and god.

The Who set felt longer than anyone else's, I wonder if that was really how it was, or if it just seemed that way.

Let's see what's in good old Ryu's latest posts .... Wait I'll post this first ...

rick957

Thank you Pete Townsend:  "Have a fucking beer!"  Yes!  The people in the arena aren't there to be reflective and contemplate the tragedy of the storm; they're there to fucking rock out.

It's kinda a downer, these fucking video segments about the storm effects; fuck!  Damn!  Why are these videos so depressing?  Damn!  Does it have to be like that to get donations?  No way!  This is just gratuitous and bizarre.

Oh.  Chris Rock.  Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  YES.

I'm replying to your posts, Ryu, but this other crap is just going up in between stuff, ya know.  It's the "live" blogging thing.  I know, it's a dumb idea, right?  hehehehehe I'll try anything once!  Fuck it!  ehehehehe Oh sweet vodka, take me home ....

rick957

Alright, here we go:  Kanye West.  I know his rep; he's supposed to be serious shit; let's see.  Props to him for being the only rap artist all night and having the balls to get out there anyway.

Do people buy this guy's stuff?  Do people know his songs?  I knew and loved his first mega-hit but then lost track of everything.

Doing rap live is incredibly hard and totally a different thing from other styles.  It's much much easier to fall totally flat.  Let's see how he does.  Why didn't he bring a band?  The canned music is always a problem, and he doesn't even have a DJ, which can help, big-time.

Quote"I don't care as much whether or not I'm being 'offensive' a lot of the time. If honesty offends people, I'd rather just get it out of the way and stop talking to those people as soon as possible. I only hold back when I think I have something to lose, and sadly, sometimes I forget that I shouldn't care what I have to lose if it means I can't be myself."

"Notably, there are some times when it just isn't worth the hassle, but I've tried really hard not to offend friends, and looking back on it, I wish I had just gone ahead and offended them. I lost my childhood best friend when I said some shit about his girlfriend, and the only thing I regret is not just saying them to his face and telling him that he can fuck himself if I have to like his girlfriend to be friends with him, especially since his girlfriend was a giant bitch. A similar issue has come up with a lot of my old friends, because I realize that I had a nostalgic love for them that kept me from calling them out on shit."

"Most people think I'm just a dick, because I'm honest, and that I hate people who aren't like me. You are proof that's just not true.

Yeah no doubt, and I respect that.

QuoteI don't, at all, accept or agree with your religious beliefs or much of your moral code, but I think you're a generally good guy. You are respectful of me, and you're willing to listen to me talk all kinds of shit about some of your beliefs. A mature human being is willing to listen and accept those things and get past them, and that's important to me, more than whether or not you agree with me."

I'm glad we've gotten along so well, Ryu, of course.  As for getting along with people in general ... that's a tough judgment call that each person has to make for himself or herself.  I think the older people get, the less honest and especially the less open they get with each other, and that's not entirely a matter of people being fake or wimps or something; in some ways, it can be a sign of increased maturity and changing personal priorities.  It's important for people to grow and change and have the balls to move beyond past mistakes and immaturity.  So many people don't ever grow the fuck up, you know?  We all know these people.  (I hope I'm not one of them!)

Wow, they're giving Kanye a full set, song after song.  I'm glad, but I don't know what to make of that.  Is this guy popular enough that everyone is into this stuff, or is everyone falling asleep?  I can't tell and don't know.

More replyings on the way.  Comments welcome from anybody, yo!  Sorry.  I'm too old to say "yo" without sounding like an ass, aren't I?  Ah, who gives a shit?  :)

rick957

Holy shit Kanye's out there for a long long long long time.  This is supposed to make up for the total absence of rap the rest of the night, huh?  Is that a good idea? 

Argh, I'm out of touch.  I need to hear an opinion from someone who knows this shit.  Is it working?  I don't know.  I do know that sweat is pouring off that motherfucker, which means he's working for it, and that's the way ya do it.  Respect.

Wow this set is never going to end.  Not bad; he's pushing hard, especially for a guy who's all by himself in front of a gazillion people. 

This is weird.  I wish I knew what to make of this.

"As for music, I'm a big music guy, but I'm more into the music than who's singing it or whatever.

Oh no, Ryu!  You've really stepped in it here; this is my biggest obsession of all, in some ways, so I'm crazy interested in anything you have to say about this.  Be right back with more replyings.

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I dunno why Kanye get's treated like he's some genius... Maybe I missed something, maybe I can't get past the fact that he's such a douche that he's admitted to loving and listening to his own music frequently, because he thinks he's such a genius. It colors all of his music for me, but then again, I don't care for rap anyway, most of the time."

rick957

Kanye West:  the finish was really impressive, that very last song, totally unexpected surge right there at the end.

Who knew that Brian (Bryan?) Williams could come across as that smooth and classy and cool?

QuoteI don't care for concerts, because music's main function, for me, is to make other things better.

But waitaminnit, dude, have you been to a concert where the people were playing songs you knew and loved?  You gotta do that before you swear off concerts.  It's a whole different thing from seeing a band or performer doing stuff you don't know.

QuotePlus, I'm not at all into Springsteen, The Who, or pretty much anything people would label 'Classic Rock'. As far as I'm concerned, 'The Beatles' are great songwriters, but they are mediocre performers. I love covers of their songs, but the only song I really like when they do it, is 'Hey Jude'."

Here's a good example of why you impress me, Ryu.  You're smart enough to pay at least some homage to the Beatles' genius even though you don't love them unequivocally.  That's intelligence right there, and humility.  More respect from me to you.  You should spend some time studying the Beatles' greatest hits before you give up on them, but if you already have done that, then you have every right to your opinions, even though they're totally WRONG!  hehehehe Sorry my friend I'm fucking with you.  I love the Beatles, but it's cool if you don't.  Ya gotta watch out when I'm drinking, though, I get salty!  Extra salt, that is.

Billy Joel is on stage now.  After Kanye West.  That's really weird.

More Ryu-replying coming.  Visitor comments and chitchat welcome!  Hey you come talk to me.  Especially if you have anything to say about this concert that's happening right now, but even if you don't, I wanna hear from you.

rick957

Quote"Alicia Keys... I dunno, she bores me. Her music is... I dunno, it doesn't make me feel anything. She's a good performer, but I just don't care."

As a matter of fact, you have pretty much summarized my general impression of her; although I haven't heard her in years and years, and I understand she had at least one mega-hit recently that I don't think I've heard even once.

But see, this is the thing, she just jumped about forty notches up in my impression of her, because she just got out there in front of that whole arena and put everyone else who has played before or since to shame.  You know how I can tell?  Partly at least?  Because I'm not even a fan of hers, and she blew my mind and beat the hell out of all those other old fucks whom I am a fan of.  That earns my respect like crazy.

Billy Joel is so fucking boring I can't believe it.  Is anyone so old and dull that they find this interesting?  I'm sorry, I'm being unnecessarily mean.  Billy Joel is a master songwriter and performer, but he just doesn't do it for me, usually.  Also Elton John.  Sorry, I can't get myself to care.  Seems bland to me.  I like at least two Joel songs and exactly zero Elton songs, at least that come to mind.  But it's not like I've heard anything other than their big hits.  Sorry Joel and Elton-lovers; please convince me that I'm wrong; I will listen and try to learn better.

Meanwhile, holy shit this stuff is fucking awful.  Listen to the damn string section underneath a motherfucking saxophone, for God's sake!  Aaaaack!  Yecch!  But that's just bad judgment in terms of the arrangement, not necessarily entirely his fault.

I'm trying to enjoy this, I am!  Can you tell?

ManyMindsManyVoices

"The atmosphere of a concert just isn't pleasing to me. I don't want to be around a bunch of people all yelling and being unpleasant and noisy. I just want me and the music. It's my experience, no one else's... Everyone else can have an experience, but they can't have my experience. They can't remember the first time I heard 'some song', or how 'some song' made me feel. They can't remember the day I cried to 'some song', or when I first really listened to it and learned what 'some song' really meant. Again, I have little interest in the people behind my song in most cases, so going to the concert doesn't have that value to me."

"The idea of meeting a celebrity, or being close to one, doesn't excite me. I mean, if you told me I could touch Joss Whedon for five seconds, I might squee like a fangirl, but that's because Joss Whedon is fuckin' amazing. Otherwise, I don't care. I love Johnny Depp, but unless I'm going to chill with Johnny Depp and have a 5 hour chat about random bullshit, and we're going to exchange phone numbers, then, the idea of being in his presence isn't that interesting. Now if you're giving me the chance to fuck some hot starlet, and I find her attractive and intelligent, then we're in business. So, next time you get the backstage pass that let's me take Hayley William's back to my place so I can..."

"Man, I can't think of a Paramore song that makes for a good sex metaphor... Anyway, yeah, it just doesn't excite me otherwise."

"Also, I'm quite familiar with the Beatles, and again, I love their stuff. I just think they're mediocre performers."

"Don't nobody kill 'Across the Universe' like Rufus Wainwright:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAe1lVDbLf0

or (and if you're a Glee-hater, you might hate all over me for it) Chris Colfer's heart-breaking rendition of 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTznjVxz-sM

Definitely not the Beatles. Paul's good, but he did a lot better with Wings, as far as performing goes."

"Billy Joel... Uh... 'We Didn't Start the Fire'? Yeah, that's about all I got..."

"Elton John's... I dunno, he's gay, that's cool and all. I don't otherwise have any interest in him. He did a super weird 'Pinball Wizard' video..." Shrug.

ManyMindsManyVoices

rick957

Aw, I'm a tiny bit bummed that nobody else took my invitation to chitchat.  See?  Nobody reads this dumb blog.  That's okay, though; I'm having my fun anyway. 

Plus I got good ole' Ryu to hang with, so it's all good!  If that sounded patronizing, it was completely unintentional; I blame the alcohol; because I don't look down on you, Ryu; much the contrary, I look up to you in certain ways, which feels a little silly, because you're probably quite a bit younger than me (I'm thirty-fucking-seven now), but fuck it, that shouldn't matter one way or the other, should it?

Quote"I like all sorts of stuff, but most of the bands you talk about, and the way you talk about music, doesn't interest me. I don't care if Pop is cookie cutter or not, I often like covers more than the originals, and I don't care about 'the classics'. I equally think Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber are total shite, and can't stand most rappers (but that's hardly a rule, I like Eminem, and I think BoB is talented, he just needs someone else to write his lyrics)."

Wow I feel sooooo out of touch.  Who in the heck is BoB?  Sorry, everybody.  Old fucker here, I got cobwebs clogging my ears.  Kanye West is cutting edge to me.  Is that outdated?  Hell if I know.  Eminem is so damn old by now that I'm a fan of his, even me!  That guy's fucked up but genuinely talented, last I heard. 

Why would you schedule the artist who appeals the most to the youngest segment of the audience so that he's immediately followed by the artist who appeals the most to the oldest segment of the audience?  Does that make sense?  Maybe it does, but I can't figure it out.

Alright, Joel just talked to the audience and instantaneously transformed into a person that you can't help but love the fuck out of.  He belongs at this show; this show is partly about the geographical region, and he is of a piece with that, more than most of the other performers; he talks like somebody with motherfucking CLASS, old-school performer class.  I respect the hell out of that.  It's obvious this guy has fans in the crowd.  Good for him; good for the concert planners; I'd rather listen to my toilet flush, personally, but this guy has real class and real craft, and even I can't deny it.  Listen to his falsetto!  Props.  Respect.  Even the arrangements are growing on me a little.  Not too much though!  hehehehehehe

Silver

Hmm.. Kanye West...

Alright I'll bite..

I love the man, yes I know he is one of the worst people ever but I do love his music. He has a talent for writing I do give him that.

--

BoB - Rapper.. Did that song with the girl from paramore. Good song. His album is out now and doing pretty well. He even did a song with Taylor Swift.. yes Taylor and that rapper.. I know crazy right...

*coughs and waits for her own rants to begin*
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

ManyMindsManyVoices

B.o.B - Out of My Mind ft. Nicki Minaj [Official Video]

"This was the first thing that came up on YouTube, but I wouldn't go too far for fear of stumbling into Nicki Minaj... I just like the crazy, dark motif. I've never actually watched this or listened to this before a minute ago."

"B.o.B (the correct styling of his name, by technicality) is a rapper who has an annoying need to make crappy pop culture references in his songs, among other annoying rap tropes, but is actually a pretty talented rapper. He's also seems to inspire some great performances from other people, because the best parts of any of his songs are done by other people. See Bruno Mars being he fuckin' shit (as Bruno Mars is wont to do):

B.o.B - Nothin' On You [feat. Bruno Mars] (Official Video)

Or Rivers Cuomo singing a great chorus that's been stuck in my head for a while (though, I think Rivers is suffering from a big case of the Beatles, the performance that got me into the song was not the one Rivers put on):

B.o.B - Magic ft. Rivers Cuomo [Official Music Video]

Or Hayley Williams singing a soulful chorus that consists of literally only two unique lines:

B.o.B - Airplanes ft. Hayley Williams of Paramore [OFFICIAL VIDEO]

All of them with a backdrop of B.o.B being vaguely crappy, despite his notable capability to sling words so fast he should be getting speeding tickets."

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Silver on December 12, 2012, 11:19:07 PM
Hmm.. Kanye West...

Alright I'll bite..

I love the man, yes I know he is one of the worst people ever but I do love his music. He has a talent for writing I do give him that.

--

BoB - Rapper.. Did that song with the girl from paramore. Good song. His album is out now and doing pretty well. He even did a song with Taylor Swift.. yes Taylor and that rapper.. I know crazy right...

*coughs and waits for her own rants to begin*

"Oh, shoot, I thought that was rick til the avatar came up... I honestly didn't expect anyone to join in (just based on timing and probability, not because I think rick doesn't have readers). Welcome, Silver, even if it's not really my place to welcome you."

Silver

See as Ryuka has given many examples of BoB in action..

Yes I bloody hate Nicki M with a deep and burning passion but that song I do love to pieces..

--

I have my own opinions upon Rap. (I am black so I can give a point of view and know what the hell I am talking about but also I listen to just about anything under the sun...)

So people need to go away and simply die.. Such as Lil Jon.. love him but seriously go crawl into a hole and die already..
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

rick957

I'm sorry ......

It's such a pleasure and such  a surprise to see Silver turn up and fulfill my hopes for this "live blogging" nonsense by contributing to the chitchat that I had hoped would happen ....

And I intend to read every word closely and reply, but ....

Chris Martin just, just -- fuck.

And now Paul McCartney is playing "Helter Skelter", and I'm drinking vodka and in the middle of music-nerd bliss.  (I was about to say music-nerd "Nirvana", but I guess that has yet to come.  What a silly proposition.)

Anyway, I'm just wrapped up in the performance at the moment and can't muster the intelligence to speak intelligently to you guys, but, god, aaaaa
aagh.

I don't even know this song.  What is this? 

I'm sorry.  I love the motherfucking fuck out of rock and roll, and I get carried completely away and turn into some kinda vegetable lunatic psycho thing.  It feels good.  It's embarrassing.  Please keep chatting if you like, I will soon respond to stuff, but I'm just too delighted and transported to do that now.

How is this possible?  I didn't expect this.  A very little while ago, I was saying how fucking mediocre this concert has been.  How did they do this to me?  I'm not even there, I'm just  watching on my stupid computer!

Man, if you've never had rock and roll lift you entirely out of your body and made you kiss the cheek of God entirely without your volition, you haven't yet lived.  Stick around long enough to do that.  You don't gotta do anything special; just do that though.  Oh. 

Oh.

Oh, Paul.

Ohhhh ......

ManyMindsManyVoices

"I like 'Lil whoever' (Jon or Wayne) just because both those motherfuckers are ridiculous. However, I suppose Lil Jon has provided all the material he's ever going to provide us with, so his career can die, but I hope people will keep making jokes about his stuff for years to come."

Silver

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 12, 2012, 11:52:18 PM
"I like 'Lil whoever' (Jon or Wayne) just because both those motherfuckers are ridiculous. However, I suppose Lil Jon has provided all the material he's ever going to provide us with, so his career can die, but I hope people will keep making jokes about his stuff for years to come."

Please do not get me started on Lil Wayne....

I swear.. Just...

*mutters*

You want to know something why not have a live awards show for house/techno/etc music.. I mean come on.. they are awesome and deserve a show as well.. I listen to so much of it..

I mean even Benny Benessai has some great rap remixes.. yes..

Like this one.. and oh yea Public Enemy is going into the RRHF.. Yeah that's right..

Bring The Noise - Public Enemy (Benny Benassi Remix)

rick957

hehhehe A real back-and-forth conversation!  I love it!  You guys R keewl.

Oh by the way, in case anyone is here and curious about the 121212 concert, here is the link I'm currently using to hear

Sir Paul McCartney

play

the Beatles'

"Blackbird."

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/12/12/watch-the-12-12-12-sandy-benefit-concert-live/

There are dozens of websites streaming this, plus dozens of TV channels showing this, but there's one for ya.  Thanks.

Silver

.... I love Nirvana but I hate Paul.. Yes I am sorry I hate the man...

Just such mixed emotions of love and hate...

ManyMindsManyVoices

"Yeah, I have absolutely no love for techno, none. It's a genre with little vocals and pretty much comes off as a one-trick-pony. I've got friends who love it, and trust me, I lived with a gay guy who played so much techno (particularly because he loved every rhythm game ever) that I thought I might just shove his game controller right up his ass... Course, he might have liked that..."

Silver

Damnit.. I like this song..

All of those lights.. oooo.. *moth to flame*