Wow in the USA News from Kentucky...

Started by Kimbersqk, November 07, 2015, 06:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimbersqk

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kentuckys-governor-elect-to-remove-clerk-names-from-state-marriage-licenses/ar-CC2go5?ocid=ansmsnnews11

Was not sure if this was ok to put here, unless it needs to be moved to politics... That is sort of what it is but it for sure affects the GBLT community.

*hugs to everybody*
Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes.
It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon half way around the world. - Chaos Theory from Butterfly Effect

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries
Kimber doing what she loves. Signing C'est La Vie by B*Witched

MiraMirror

It just doesn't stop, does it? =_=

...And why did I decide to look at the comments, damnit.
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Wolfling72

This makes me physically ill...but it was not unexpected.

Once again, the needs of the many are ignored and belittled by the wants of the few.

*sighs and exits*
O/O's
Snippets
A/A's
Wolfi Recommends- changes weekly
Keep it vampirated and melanated.

Sofia Grace

... This is some lopsided bullshit.  Irritating.  People are irritating.
growls
i am a fire
gasoline, come pour yourself all over me
we'll let this place go down in flames
only one more time

Kimbersqk

I guess what I don't understand is... It was passed by the "big house.." I mean, really?? And yet people are still too far against it that this has to happen. It makes me kind of sad. I'm with a transgender. She ID's herself as a female. I'm certainly a female as well. Who are these people to dictate our lives by acting like this. Just follow the law, do what you need to do and be done with it. Why go kicking and screaming just to do your job you have signed up for to do?

If it is that big of a deal... Find another job?

I didn't want to share this to make people mad.. I did want to share how still backwards we are as a country.
Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and it pleases wherever it goes.
It has been said that something as small as the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon half way around the world. - Chaos Theory from Butterfly Effect

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries

Nico

I am going ahead and move this thread into the PROC Board. I think it is better kept there. ~nodnod~

Lustful Bride

*sighs* ugh freaking incredible. I don't even have words, I just lost them. *sighs*

Mintprincess

Quote from: Kimbersqk on November 08, 2015, 05:57:30 AM
I guess what I don't understand is... It was passed by the "big house.." I mean, really?? And yet people are still too far against it that this has to happen. It makes me kind of sad. I'm with a transgender. She ID's herself as a female. I'm certainly a female as well. Who are these people to dictate our lives by acting like this. Just follow the law, do what you need to do and be done with it. Why go kicking and screaming just to do your job you have signed up for to do?

If it is that big of a deal... Find another job?

I didn't want to share this to make people mad.. I did want to share how still backwards we are as a country.

How backwards -some people- in the country are.    The country has and will support same sex marriage as passed by the Supreme Court and celebrated by many Americans everywhere! The best thing we can do is focus on the positive stories and teach our children to be open minded about all people - race, gender and sexuality - .

Some people will never change their mind.  They can't see past their blinders.  They can't open their hearts to put others before themselves.   You can't consider the progress made in this country a failure because of them.

But some people can be reached and can open their minds and can learn and can go from being hesitant and uninformed to accepting, caring, open and educated.   

And those are the people who will continue to grow our country in the right direction.  <3

Oniya

The removal of the clerks' names from the certificate actually removes the rickety leg that Kim Davis based her uncivil disobedience upon.  By removing the pre-printed names, the individual county clerk has no personal tie to the document - it's all the office.  Hand the ones that you can't sign off on personally for whatever reason to someone who will, and sit in your lonely office and stew in your bitterness that can't accept that love does not need your approval.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mintprincess on November 08, 2015, 01:27:31 PM
How backwards -some people- in the country are.    The country has and will support same sex marriage as passed by the Supreme Court and celebrated by many Americans everywhere! The best thing we can do is focus on the positive stories and teach our children to be open minded about all people - race, gender and sexuality - .

Some people will never change their mind.  They can't see past their blinders.  They can't open their hearts to put others before themselves.   You can't consider the progress made in this country a failure because of them.

But some people can be reached and can open their minds and can learn and can go from being hesitant and uninformed to accepting, caring, open and educated.   

And those are the people who will continue to grow our country in the right direction.  <3

Mint Princess 2016! ^3^

Jag

Quote from: Oniya on November 08, 2015, 01:39:35 PM
The removal of the clerks' names from the certificate actually removes the rickety leg that Kim Davis based her uncivil disobedience upon.  By removing the pre-printed names, the individual county clerk has no personal tie to the document - it's all the office.  Hand the ones that you can't sign off on personally for whatever reason to someone who will, and sit in your lonely office and stew in your bitterness that can't accept that love does not need your approval.

It won't stop her.

She'll just keep ranting and denying it the marriage certificates. She's already stated that she won't allow her office to issue them. It's not even a matter of her name being on them. It's that they are being issued from her office. She's already interfered with her office issuing them without her name. This is just going to continue on till she is removed from office.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Mintprincess

Quote from: Jagerin on November 08, 2015, 03:24:55 PM
It won't stop her.

She'll just keep ranting and denying it the marriage certificates. She's already stated that she won't allow her office to issue them. It's not even a matter of her name being on them. It's that they are being issued from her office. She's already interfered with her office issuing them without her name. This is just going to continue on till she is removed from office.

Sounds like you just found the solution.  If you are unable to complete the required duties of your job then you shouldn't have that job. I know I'd be fired if I told my boss "yeah just not going to do that one anymore. Sorry."

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 08, 2015, 02:47:55 PM
Mint Princess 2016! ^3^

-snickers- as if i would ever suffer to put up with politicians.  But thanks <3

Jag

Quote from: Mintprincess on November 08, 2015, 03:41:20 PM
Sounds like you just found the solution.  If you are unable to complete the required duties of your job then you shouldn't have that job. I know I'd be fired if I told my boss "yeah just not going to do that one anymore. Sorry."

Sadly, as an elected official, she cannot be fired. V__V

Mintprincess

Quote from: Jagerin on November 08, 2015, 03:43:35 PM
Sadly, as an elected official, she cannot be fired. V__V
but she doesn't have to be re-elected either should the people stand up and say they don't agree with her.

Jag

Quote from: Mintprincess on November 08, 2015, 03:47:53 PM
but she doesn't have to be re-elected either should the people stand up and say they don't agree with her.

She basically took over the position from her mother who held it for a very long time before her. Her son is her deputy clerk (or whatever the position is called). Yes, she was voted in, but is was basically under the platform of continuing her mother's work and her family's involvement in the local government. Despite the dislike of her, there are more people here in the state that support her than don't.

People at work talk about her with a great amount of admiration and support (I live in KY).

The rally for her when she was let out of jail, it was under the condition that she not interfere with her office issuing the certificates or she would be back in jail. She has continued to vocally interfere and prevent the issuing of them, yet she is not back in jail. I, sadly, don't see her going anywhere.

I have no doubts that Bevin is using this as a band aid and to distract from his plans for cutting affordable healthcare access to the people of Kentucky.

Mintprincess

I can't confess to knowing much about KY politics or who is even in office there.  I suppose the people been happy with the other things she has done in office? It still seems to me that (while I support freedom of religion and opinion completely. She can believe what she likes) her actions still need to follow the law and she still should be required to fulfill her duties as an elected official. :/

Jag

Quote from: Mintprincess on November 08, 2015, 04:46:17 PM
I can't confess to knowing much about KY politics or who is even in office there.  I suppose the people been happy with the other things she has done in office? It still seems to me that (while I support freedom of religion and opinion completely. She can believe what she likes) her actions still need to follow the law and she still should be required to fulfill her duties as an elected official. :/

One would think that.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Mintprincess on November 08, 2015, 04:46:17 PM
her actions still need to follow the law and she still should be required to fulfill her duties as an elected official. :/

You assume that bigots and politicians, and in general assholes, actually care about the law.  :P

Jag

I still believe that politics should be handled with cage matches and bare knuckle fighting. >.>

It would at least make debates more interesting to watch.

Kimbersqk

Nich- Thank you for moving this to it's proper place. As I had stated in the beginning, I wasn't sure where it was supposed to go... Was either in the GLBT or here/political.

Yeah... What y'all said. Some people in this country are good with an open mind and changing with the times. Some people are more "old school" and just cannot see past what the changing of the times actually is. If you are happy with the way you live your life, go for it! Who is there to stop you? Sure, some dumb woman in Kentucky an try. I get that. But then again, maybe people can go to a different state to get married? I am not sure on that one. Sadly, it is still kind of a slap on the face to the whole community the way Davis is acting. The way Jagerin is talkin, sounds like she is a legacy. Bummer dude. :-(

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries

Jag

Quote from: Kimbersqk on November 09, 2015, 04:48:12 AM
But then again, maybe people can go to a different state to get married?

Last tax season I got to watch one of our long time professionals and IRS enrolled agent struggle to file taxes for a same sex marriage. Legally, they were married because they went to another state where it was legal and got married. However, it was not legal in the state of Kentucky. Filing federal taxes was fine, but filing for state was much more difficult.

This year, there won't be an issue. The couple can come in and file their state taxes the same as any other couple. The tax pro won't have to sit there with her tax law books out all over the desk and having to tell them to come back a few days later while she researches everything. It can be done in the usual 30-45 minutes like every other couple.

So yes, people have the option to go to a different county to get their marriage license. But they shouldn't have to. Nor should they have to deal with having an incomplete license due to Bevin allowing the removal of the clerk name and office. They live in Rowan County. They deserve to have their marriage license look just like every one elses.

This is just a band aid for the situation. It might make some people feel better, but it doesn't take care of the real issue.

Kimbersqk

Right right... There is no easy answer. Well, there kind of is but that would require some cooperation that people are not giving. Hopefully stuff will be more calm now, although I'm sure it won't be. A band-aid is temporary. They certainly need a big one.

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries

Ironwolf85

welp, mind if I interject?
the support ratio is about 60% of the US in favor, 37% opposed 3% give no fuck

Kentucky, no offence to you Jagerin, is known to be the state that is both hardcore conservative and fairly low on every positive census static such as healthcare, education, and poverty rate. (Wierdly enough in all these rankings, Texas and Mississippi are competing for dead last. Texan economy would probably be in even worse shape were it not for it's oil and natural gas industries.)
I'm willing to bet a great concentration of that 37% is in the bible belt including kentucky.
So it is entirely possible she is indeed speaking for the majority of her town, as unfortunate as that is.

Most of the US approves, that doesn't mean that is the majority view in all states or even all towns.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant for matters like this. you can bet a lot of people will want nothing to do with that town now.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Kimbersqk

Maybe people will move out now because of it..? who knows.

Kimber's O/O's
Sorries

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Kimbersqk on November 13, 2015, 04:33:09 AM
Maybe people will move out now because of it..? who knows.
which is kinda sad when you think about it.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.