News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

Oh is that why it's so bloody dark? I thought it was just the English weather :D Very clouded here as well.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

gaggedLouise

Yep. I just took a peek outside and caught it within a few minutes of its peak (got the pun?) - had mistimed it a wee bit before - and could actually see the sun was being eaten into, but if I didn't know what was happening I'd just have thought "cloudy spring day, that's why it's grey around here"-  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Karadzic

I don't watch the news much, since no TV, just Netflix. But people in my town are talking about Gamergate a good bit.

Oniya

Quote from: Karadzic on March 22, 2015, 10:41:07 PM
I don't watch the news much, since no TV, just Netflix. But people in my town are talking about Gamergate a good bit.

Old news.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Joel

Im stuck on the NYTimes app on my phone like crack

Beorning

Not too many news back here... As usual these days, they are about the presidential campaign (which is really boring this time around) and Ukraine.

A scary news bit I saw this morning - a girl from Denver, CA, tries to poison her mother for taking away her phone:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27753705/12-year-old-allegedly-tries-poison-mom-taking

:o :o :o

Also, Richard the Third's funeral is taking place today.

Dimir

Quote from: Beorning on March 23, 2015, 06:36:18 AM
Not too many news back here... As usual these days, they are about the presidential campaign (which is really boring this time around) and Ukraine.

A scary news bit I saw this morning - a girl from Denver, CA, tries to poison her mother for taking away her phone:

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27753705/12-year-old-allegedly-tries-poison-mom-taking

:o :o :o

Also, Richard the Third's funeral is taking place today.

Yeah some kids really need to drop the whole "teenage entitlement syndrome" act. I mean did she even grasp the concept of if you kill your mother with poison, you will be taken away and won't be able to play with your precious IPhone?
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Karadzic

Quote from: Oniya on March 22, 2015, 11:05:18 PM
Old news.

I understand that; but nonetheless, people are discussing it quite a bit around here, since there's a decent amount of game devs around here.

Dimir

The World Health Organization said that Glyphosate, the main ingredient in the weed-killer Roundup, probably causes cancer. Glyphosate was created in the 1970s by agribusiness giant Monsanto.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/21/roundup-cancer-who-glyphosate-
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Joel

Apples can cause cancer.  Vitamin C can cause cancer.  So no doubt rubbing yourself with agrichemicals is not a good idea.  And I think they say that it'll take a gallon of the stuff to poison someone, but that was more with the petrochemical nonactive ingredients in round-up.  I have no idea how they arrived at that number.  But glyphosate is inactivated as soon as it meets the soil and it's absorbed into plants very quickly and it's got a very short half life otherwise -- like in the matter of hours.  I think the more important question is-- is Farmer Joe more likely to get cancer if he's surrounded by a field sprayed with Glyphosate versus a field not sprayed with it.  If he is more likely to get cancer then how much more likely.  Is that difference then meaningful.

TheGlyphstone

My first thought was 'wait, the fact that poisonous chemicals can cause cancer is news now'? Or is it just the Made By Monsanto (Who Are Totally Evil Gaiz) that got the papers talking about it?

Caehlim

Quote from: Joel on March 23, 2015, 05:46:01 PMI think the more important question is-- is Farmer Joe more likely to get cancer if he's surrounded by a field sprayed with Glyphosate versus a field not sprayed with it.  If he is more likely to get cancer then how much more likely.  Is that difference then meaningful.

Well put.

My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

gaggedLouise

Apparently, the Daily Telegraph, yesterday, ran the amazing story that an archaelogist in northern Argentina had discovered a "secret hideout" that housed Hitler's right-hand man Martin Bormann after he secretly flew out of Berlin on board the last Luftwaffe plane to leave Europe in Aearly May of 1945. The compound was located in "deep jungle" and had been set up some years earlier as one of several last-resort lairs tp house elite Nazis far beyond Europe., if things should turn out wrong for the Reich.  ::)

The Telegraph were alone with the story. The next day, the Guardian blows it up in an exercise at rapid debunking. The buildings found by the digger were not at all unknown to the locals and they are likely a good deal older than WW2. And those senior Nazis who did escape to South America (yep, there's a few of them) didn't have to sit around out in secret villages or compounds in the Amazon jungle or any such places.

(Parts of Bormann's skull were found in the rubble at a central railway station in Berlin, the same location where he was last seen during the final throes of Nazi resistance, though it took a few decades to identify those bits and who they came from. Also, it seems the archeologist did not make the wild claims that the place must have housed some escaped top-level Nazis)

Dashenka

German budget airline and daughter company of Lufthansa, Germanwings reported one of their planes, enroute from Barcelona to Dusseldorf crashed in the French Alps, minutes after sending out a distress signal.

French president Hollande says there are likely to be no survivors. The airbus was carrying 142 passengers and 6 crew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3009155/Germanwings-plane-crashes-southern-France--police.html

Beorning

Quote from: gaggedLouise on March 24, 2015, 05:20:00 AM
Apparently, the Daily Telegraph, yesterday, ran the amazing story that an archaelogist in northern Argentina had discovered a "secret hideout" that housed Hitler's right-hand man Martin Bormann after he secretly flew out of Berlin on board the last Luftwaffe plane to leave Europe in Aearly May of 1945. The compound was located in "deep jungle" and had been set up some years earlier as one of several last-resort lairs tp house elite Nazis far beyond Europe., if things should turn out wrong for the Reich.  ::)

The Telegraph were alone with the story. The next day, the Guardian blows it up in an exercise at rapid debunking. The buildings found by the digger were not at all unknown to the locals and they are likely a good deal older than WW2.

Ha! Back here, the news about the bunkers can be read at at least one big news site... with no information that this information has been debunked.  Go media ::)

Quote from: Dashenka on March 24, 2015, 06:32:28 AM
German budget airline and daughter company of Lufthansa, Germanwings reported one of their planes, enroute from Barcelona to Dusseldorf crashed in the French Alps, minutes after sending out a distress signal.

French president Hollande says there are likely to be no survivors. The airbus was carrying 142 passengers and 6 crew.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3009155/Germanwings-plane-crashes-southern-France--police.html

Horrible news  :-(

Dashenka

The number of passengers is now 144, so a total of 150 people dead. Mostly Germans and Spanish.

himawari

the death of Singapore's founding father. the man who built Singapore up.
kinda sad. he brought Singapore from a third world fishing village/swamp to a metropolitan city within 50 years.
a seriously smart guy who has good visions for the future. he lived a long fruitful life. R.I.P.
the best prime minister the country could ever have.

:'(
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
Himawari’s Fields of Ideas

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Beorning on March 24, 2015, 10:20:38 AM
Ha! Back here, the news about the bunkers can be read at at least one big news site... with no information that this information has been debunked.  Go media ::)

I realized an hour after posting that one that at least two of the big Stockholm dailies are running the story - also without any idea that it was getting debunked. Yeah yeah!

Horrible news  :-(

Yes, really distressing, and it's going to be very difficult to even get to the crash site - it's in very rugged terrain. Even helicopters would find it difficult to land there, they say. And it happened on a route that many millions of people use every year, down from central and northern Europe to Spain, a classic holiday flight.

Dashenka

The BBC just committed suicide.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736?post_id=100002595662444_776719562424559#_=_

And on that bombshell, it is time to end. Thank you very much for watching. Goodbye.

Kythia

Quote from: Dashenka on March 25, 2015, 09:19:53 AM
The BBC just committed suicide.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736?post_id=100002595662444_776719562424559#_=_

And on that bombshell, it is time to end. Thank you very much for watching. Goodbye.

Jeremy Clarkson punched a colleague.  The fact that there was ever any doubt whatsoever he would be fired is the problem, not that he has finally been fired. 

Dashenka

So you fire the star that is making you 100 millions a year instead of telling the that producer nobody has ever heard of to go home? I guess that's British logic I don't understand.

Not even sad for Clarkson, he'll find a better job somewhere else, just sad that it's the end of one of the best television shows in the world.

Kythia

Quote from: Dashenka on March 25, 2015, 09:36:38 AM
So you fire the star that is making you 100 millions a year instead of telling the that producer nobody has ever heard of to go home? I guess that's British logic I don't understand.

Not even sad for Clarkson, he'll find a better job somewhere else, just sad that it's the end of one of the best television shows in the world.

What?

That's not "British logic" or anything like that.  He punched a work colleague.  If I did that I'd be fired.  If you did, you would be.  Are you genuinely suggesting that Clarkson shouldn't have been because people like watching him?  If there's one fucking lesson to come from Yew Tree (and, sure, there are considerably more than one, but stick with me) it's that the BBC can't overlook the transgressions of its stars.

He punched someone he worked with.  The only mistake the BBC made here is not sacking him quicker than you can say "Holy mary mother of god, what the fuck is wrong with that man's jeans"

Beorning

Quote from: Dashenka on March 25, 2015, 09:36:38 AM

Well, Dash... that "producer nobody" is a living person who ended up in hospital because of Clarkson. It's a very good thing that BBC decided to choose integrity over money here...

I mean, should a star really be allowed to hurt co-workers just because of his / her fame?

If you're angry about Top Gear possibly ending, then you should be angry at Clarkson. Because it was his unacceptable behaviour that led to this situation.

Dashenka

Integrity over money? Yeah... I'm sorry... that's a fairytale.

But never mind.

They also didn't fire him, they're not renewing his contract.

Kythia

Quote from: Dashenka on March 25, 2015, 09:50:52 AM
Integrity over money? Yeah... I'm sorry... that's a fairytale.

But...but...but that's precisely what's happened.  It's the thing you're complaining about.  You know when you posted upthread?  That thing?  The BBC have chosen integrity over money, you were the one who brought that up.  Is there some crucial word here you're not understanding or is it some sort of goldfish level of memory?